Danny Woodhead

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Danny Woodhead only needs 94 AP yards to go over 1,000 all purpose yards for the season. Considering DW took Faulk's role as the "third down" back "all purpose" yards are very important in his role for the Pats.

Dixie a little joke on Woodhead looking like a weed head topic:

A 19 year old minister's son living at home and not going to college OR working one night asks his father for his car to hang out with some friends.

Son: "Dad can I have the car tonight?"

Dad: "This is nonsense son...you got to get your act together...life isn't about having fun every minute. Yeah...cut that hair you look like a dagum hippie. You're not getting the car to...".

Son: "What are you talking about? Jesus, the son of God had long hair...How could...."

Dad: "Yeah and he walked everywhere he went!"

Deus Vult

Mentor
Yeah he does look a little "haggard." Danny doesn't look anywhere as bad as Tom Brady, Clay Matthews or Robert Gallery though. [/QUOTE]

I think those guys look terrific! I wish more white players would adopt Berserker look and attitude! I don't like the tattoos, though. Too many tats, IMHO, looks trashy.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Looks like DW is at least semi-aware of the caste system or maybe he's just aggravated at having his position switched by the Jets:

[Tube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXziDNj8MXQ&feature=related[/Tube]

Danny Woodhead "I am not a WR!"

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
ToughJ.Riggins said:
Dixie a little joke on Woodhead looking like a weed head topic:

A 19 year old minister's son living at home and not going to college OR working one night asks his father for his car to hang out with some friends.

Son: "Dad can I have the car tonight?"

Dad: "This is nonsense son...you got to get your act together...life isn't about having fun every minute. Yeah...cut that hair you look like a dagum hippie. You're not getting the car to...".

Son: "What are you talking about? Jesus, the son of God had long hair...How could...."

Dad: "Yeah and he walked everywhere he went!"

My son pulled that on me too, I told him when he can turn my water to wine then he can wear his hair long.

After watching Danny Woodhead dominate this year, I did some research, hoping to find the answer to these 2 specific questions: 1)Did othersmaller scatbacks/all-purpose backsface the"too small" labelwhilegoing through the D1 recruitmentand NFL Draft process like Danny Woodhead did?2) How does Danny measure up stasticallyto these backs? Here's what I found out:

(Note: YPC=yards per carry)

The "smaller than Woodhead but you will never hear the media obsess about it like they do Danny" guys:

Garrett Wolfe- 5'7" 180lbs- Had a stellar high school career,signed withD1 NIU, after very successful college career was drafted in the 3rd round by the Chicago Bears.
NFL Numbers: 2.0 YPC this year (in very limited action), 3.9 YPC career,11.7 YPCatch career

Darren Sproles- 5'6" 180lbs- Had a stellar high school career,signed withD1 powerhouse Kansas State, after very succesful college career was drafted in 4th round by the San Diego Chargers.
4.9 YPC this year, 4.5 YPC career, 8.7 YPCatch this year, 9.5 YPCatch career
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The "roughly the same size as Danny but the media won't tell you that" guys:

Leon Washington-5'8" 200 lbs.-Received "prestigious" 5-star rating from Rivals coming out of high school (as a cornerback of all things),signed withD1 powerhouse Florida State, after successful college career was drafted in the 4th round by NY Jets.
3.7 YPC this year, 4.7 YPC career, 9.2 YPCatch this year, 7.9 YPCatch career

Maurice Jones-Drew 5'7" 200 lbs- Received "prestigious" number 1 all-purpose back ranking from Rivals, signed with D1 powerhouse UCLA, after very successful college career was drafted in the 2nd round by the Jacksonville Jaguars.
4.4 YPC this year, 4.6 YPC career, 9.3 YPCatch this year, 8.9 YPCatch career

Ray Rice 5'8" 205 lbs- Wasconsidered as New Jersey's number 1prospect by Rivals, signed with D1 Rutgers, after very successful college career was drafted in the 2nd round by the Baltimore Ravens.
4.0 YPC this year, 4.6YPC career, 9.4YPCatch this year, 9.5 YPCatch career
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AND FINALLY...

Danny Woodhead 5'8"200lbs- Received ZERO D1 offers after record setting high school career as he was considered waaaaaay too small,had stellar careerat D2Chadron Statewhere he wonD2's equivalent to the Heisman two years in a row,rushed for 7,962 yards (NCAA record at the time), 9,749 all-purpose yards(NCAA 2nd all-time), was UNDRAFTED by the NFL. Signed asundrafted free agent by the Jets. Cut 3 times, after sitting on waivers for 5 dayswas finally picked up by the New England Patriots after a Maroney trade forced their hand.
5.6 YPC this year, 5.4 YPC career, 11.1 YPCatch this year and career

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't think I have to tell anyone on this site what the conclusion of my little research project is. Any lurkers out there, take note. No matter what the media tells you, Danny Woodhead was NOT passed over for a D1 scholarship nor went undrafted because he was waaaaaaay too small. But, hewas definitely waaaaaaaaytoo "something else"
smiley2.gif

Edited by: Toby Hillis

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Great job on the above post!!

Thrashen

Hall of Famer
Toby Hillis said:
<div>After watching Danny Woodhead dominate this year, I did some research, hoping to find the answer to these 2 specific questions: 1) Did other smaller scatbacks/all-purpose backs face the "too small" label while going through the D1 recruitment and NFL Draft process like Danny Woodhead did? 2) How does Danny measure up stastically to these backs?  Here's what I found out:</div>
<div> </div>
<div>(Note: YPC=yards per carry)</div>
<div> </div>
<div></div>
<div> </div>
<div>The "smaller than Woodhead but you will never hear the media obsess about it like they do Danny" guys:</div>
<div> </div>
<div>Garrett Wolfe- 5'7" 180lbs- Had a stellar high school career, signed with D1 NIU, after very successful college career was drafted in the 3rd round by the Chicago Bears.</div>
<div>NFL Numbers:  2.0 YPC this year (in very limited action), 3.9 YPC career, 11.7 YPCatch career</div>
<div></div>
<div> </div>
<div>Darren Sproles- 5'6" 180lbs- Had a stellar high school career, signed with D1 powerhouse Kansas State, after very succesful college career was drafted in 4th round by the San Diego Chargers.</div>
<div>4.9 YPC this year, 4.5 YPC career, 8.7 YPCatch this year, 9.5 YPCatch career</div>
<div>---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------</div>
<div> </div>
<div>The "roughly the same size as Danny but the media won't tell you that" guys:</div>
<div> </div>
<div>Leon Washington-5'8" 200 lbs.-Received "prestigious" 5-star rating from Rivals coming out of high school (as a cornerback of all things), signed with D1 powerhouse Florida State, after successful college career was drafted in the 4th round by NY Jets.  </div>
<div>3.7 YPC this year, 4.7 YPC career, 9.2 YPCatch this year, 7.9 YPCatch career</div>
<div> </div>
<div>Maurice Jones-Drew 5'7" 200 lbs- Received "prestigious" number 1 all-purpose back ranking from Rivals, signed with D1 powerhouse UCLA, after very successful college career was drafted in the 2nd round by the Jacksonville Jaguars.</div>
<div>4.4 YPC this year, 4.6 YPC career, 9.3 YPCatch this year, 8.9 YPCatch career</div>
<div> </div>
<div>Ray Rice 5'8" 205 lbs - Was considered as New Jersey's number 1 prospect by Rivals, signed with D1 Rutgers, after very successful college career was drafted in the 2nd round by the Baltimore Ravens.  </div>
<div>4.0 YPC this year, 4.6 YPC career, 9.4 YPCatch this year, 9.5 YPCatch career</div>
<div>----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------</div>
<div> </div>
<div>AND FINALLY...</div>
<div> </div>
<div>Danny Woodhead 5'8" 200lbs- Received ZERO D1 offers after record setting high school career as he was considered waaaaaay too small, had stellar career at D2 Chadron State where he won D2's equivalent to the Heisman two years in a row, rushed for 7,962 yards (NCAA record at the time), 9,749 all-purpose yards (NCAA 2nd all-time), was UNDRAFTED by the NFL.  Signed as undrafted free agent by the Jets.  Cut 3 times, after sitting on waivers for 5 days was finally picked up by the New England Patriots after a Maroney trade forced their hand.</div>
<div>5.6 YPC this year, 5.4 YPC career, 11.1 YPCatch this year and career</div>
<div> </div>
<div>-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------</div>
<div> </div>
<div>I don't think I have to tell anyone on this site what the conclusion of my little research project is.  Any lurkers out there, take note.  No matter what the media tells you, Danny Woodhead was NOT passed over for a D1 scholarship nor went undrafted because he was waaaaaaay too small.  But, he was definitely waaaaaaaay too "something else"
smiley2.gif
</div>
<div> </div>
<div> </div>
<div></div>
<div> </div>
<div> </div>
<div> </div>
<div> </div>
<div> </div>
<div> </div>

Excellent post. These are some very comparable running backs.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
excellent post, Toby Hillis! well done, sir.
smiley20.gif

snow

Mentor
Great job Toby Hillis. It is a shame that Nate Kmic didn't get a shot. While Danny is an athletic freak and could put up Marshall Faulk type numbers with enough touches, I believe Kmic could excel in a Kevin Faulk type role. The Kevin Faulk comparison is better suited for Kmic rather than Danny who is like Jamaal Charles. It is a shame they want to put that type of ceiling on Danny when he is much more talented than Kevin Faulk. Kmic is also on the list for "too short". The d3 competition doesn't hold weight either because his teammate Garcon is playing.

[TUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRuf8ffKq38[/TUBE]

He is much better than I originally thought after watching that video, the other one was him playing in the snow. Notice how the only guy that can catch up to him in the open field is the cb number 25, and he has a head start and an angle. The other guy is number 12, who is Pete Ittersagen, and should be starting in the NFL right now himself. Kmic looks to have good shiftiness, great vision to find the hole and great at following his blockers, and his straight line speed looks to be around 4.5 range judging from the fact that Pete Ittersagen who timed in the 4.4 range.

Edited by: snow

TwentyTwo

Master
Great post!! It's a double-standard for sure...then you have NJ HS Gatorade Player of the Year...Dillon Romain with all the measurables..but getting no D-I offers bec of his skin condition...this is were the war is being waged heaviest...quality white HS RB's being strained thru a tiny funnel...making Woodhead an anomoly instead of what it could/should be... more of the norm!

So proud of Woodhead...tremendous burst displayed on the 29 yard TD scamper! Mad at myself with FFL... would have started him had I known he'd get that many carries! You know he's gonna bust one sooner or later!

No doubt about Kmic...wonder why Garcon is given a chance?? Chad Kackert &amp; Jake Sharp should be on 53-man rosters as well...Edited by: TwentyTwo

Thanks for all the positive feedback guys-- I appreciate it. Jammal Charles and Woodhead have the same kind of game and are about the same weight, but Charles is slightly taller, slender,and somewhatwiry compared to Danny &amp; Co. I was looking for guys that were all 5'8" and shorter plus205 lbs or less.
I'm really hoping beyond hope--as I'm sure we all are-- that Danny has a huge playoff game (Super Bowl game??) against some caste dummy coach. I want a coach to just watch him and think to himself, "man, that kid was justsitting on waivers for 5 freakin days and all we had to dowas put in a claim. I will NEVER pre-judge a White athlete again!"

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
One thing that I notice in the Kmic video, and something that is evident with Danny Woodhead, is an often (always?) overlooked quality in a back: vision. On many runs, he goes through holes that other backs, no matter how fast or quick would miss. Based on the current measuring standards, even Marcus Allen would never have made it to a D1 team, let alone the NFL, as that was the main quality he had.

Westside

Hall of Famer
Yeh, Great Post Toby Hillis, if there is such a thing as "CF Post of the Year" you deserve it. Outstanding material to ram into the faces and brains of DWFs.

FootballDad said:
One thing that I notice in the Kmic video, and something that is evident with Danny Woodhead, is an often (always?) overlooked quality in a back: vision. On many runs, he goes through holes that other backs, no matter how fast or quick would miss. Based on the current measuring standards, even Marcus Allen would never have made it to a D1 team, let alone the NFL, as that was the main quality he had.

I just watched that Kmic video and you're right, Football Dad. As far as running style, Kmic reminds me of a cross between Emmit Smith and Danny Woodhead; 2 totally different style backs, but both had/have great vision. Emmit Smith is another black RB who had great vision, great production, was apure technician (he had this one awesome move: everytime a guy would try to arm tackle him, he'd quickly grab their arm and just throw it down)butdidnot have great measurables. If Emmit Smith or Marcus Allen were White, you wouldn't hear about them againafter they finished high school, period. Over the years, therehave beenliterally hundreds of White Marcus Allens and Emmit Smiths out there andthe number ofWhite Pierre Thomas'sis probably in thousands.

EDIT TO ADD: Wow, thanks Westside and everyone onceagain for all the nice words!Edited by: Toby Hillis

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
Toby Hillis said:
FootballDad said:

I just watched that Kmic video and you're right, Football Dad. As far as running style, Kmic reminds me of a cross between Emmit Smith and Danny Woodhead; 2 totally different style backs, but both had/have great vision. Emmit Smith is another black RB who had great vision, great production, was apure technician (he had this one awesome move: everytime a guy would try to arm tackle him, he'd quickly grab their arm and just throw it down)butdidnot have great measurables. If Emmit Smith or Marcus Allen were White, you wouldn't hear about them againafter they finished high school, period. Over the years, therehave beenliterally hundreds of White Marcus Allens and Emmit Smiths out there andthe number ofWhite Pierre Thomas'sis probably in thousands.

EDIT TO ADD: Wow, thanks Westside and everyone onceagain for all the nice words!

It's not too late for Justin Beaver or Nate Kmic. They need to take a chance and try and make an NFL team. The NFL is a copy cat league and if they bust their ass off and make coaches take notice they could make an NFL squad. I think both of these backs are athletic and smart enough to make a roster. THey need to take a chance in hopes of following recent success of white runningbacks.. It's an optimistic look, but sh*t its worth a try.

More good press for Woodhead!

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/557370-new-england-patriots-danny-woodhead-is-key-to-post-season-success

New England Patriots: Danny Woodhead Is Key To Pats' Postseason Success
By Erik Frenz
December 30, 2010

In the New England Patriots' offense, it's the little guy who plays the biggest role.

We've heard many players give many reasons for Danny Woodhead's instant success. Whether it's the difficulty in seeing the little guy behind the big offensive linemen, or the quick and shifty style of running that allows his diminutive frame to squeak through bigger, slower defenders, almost everyone is quick to acknowledge that there's something special about Danny Boy.

Since joining the Patriots in Week 2, just days before the first meeting with the New York Jets, he has 907 all-purpose yards on 129 touches (good for seven yards per touch), and he's compiled six touchdowns to go with all that.

More important than all those stats, his presence provides a spark to the offense only equaled by Kevin Faulk. Funny, because he is very much seen as the successor to the utility belt-safety blanket role that Faulk once occupied.

How many times this season have we seen Woodhead break into the open field for a big gain?

On his very first carry as a Patriot, he burst through a hole for a 22-yard touchdown run that gave the Patriots a one-point lead against Buffalo. And that was just the beginning of things to come.

In all but two games this season, Woodhead has broken at least one play of longer than 10 yards. In five of his 13 games as a Patriot, Woodhead has a long play (either rushing or receiving) that went for over 20 yards.

Of course, winning postseason football games comes down to 60 minutes of execution. You have to have a good gameplan in place and execute accordingly. But all it takes is one big play to swing the momentum like a pendulum, and three of Woodhead's six touchdowns this season have either given the Patriots a lead or brought it to a tie.

Little Danny Woodhead has a chance to make the biggest impact of all by helping send the Patriots to the Super Bowl.

We all know that the running game becomes exponentially more important in the postseason, especially in Gillette Stadium where the weather may be less than favorable for the Patriots' aerial attack.

With the Baltimore Ravens, Indianapolis Colts and Pittsburgh Steelers all potential heavyweight playoff opponents, the going could get tough, but the tough can get it going. If the Patriots get knocked to the ground early in one of their playoff matchups, they need look no further than five feet and seven inches up to find where to turn.

celticdb15 said:
It's not too late for Justin Beaver or Nate Kmic. They need to take a chance and try and make an NFL team. The NFL is a copy cat league and if they bust their ass off and make coaches take notice they could make an NFL squad. I think both of these backs are athletic and smart enough to make a roster. THey need to take a chance in hopes of following recent success of white runningbacks.. It's an optimistic look, but sh*t its worth a try.</div>

It's interesting you mentioned them I forgot all about Justin Beaver, I remember Kmic though. I think you're right that if there was ever a chance for these guy's it is now with the success of Danny Woodhead, another "long shot."

I really hope beyond hope that somehow Beaver makes it, and I would really enjoy all the confusion his name would draw. If anything that would help him!

Here's a video on Justin Beaver:

[TUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvwEDDib3k8[/TUBE]

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
i don't mean to sidetrack this thread from Danny Woodhead, but Justin Beaver certainly knows first-hand how the Caste System works,from being completely ignored by the NFL down to receiving cheap shots from negro "teammates" during training camp (which he was dominating in)... before inevitably being cut ...from the CFL. *puke*
Beaver a stand-out at Roughriders training camp.
here's an excerpt:
<DIV style="BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; TEXT-ALIGN: left; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; COLOR: #000000; BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; TEXT-DECORATION: none; transparent: ">

REGINA -- Saskatchewan Roughriders hopeful Justin Beaver has been the hit of camp.

Since the CFL team opened rookie camp a week ago, the 5-foot-7, 190-pound running back has been on the receiving end of two concussive hits during supposedly non-contact drills â€" both times by linebacker Sam Olajubutu.

No one else outside of the trenches has been thumped in the same way with the same volume. So why has Beaver been getting cranked?
yeah, i wonder why?

below is a video of the tailback who was not only not good enough to make it in the CFL, but also who wasn't even worthy of an invite to an NFL training camp ... but remember, "the best players play."
smiley2.gif

[tube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRSIDcTuz4Y[/tube]

as talented and productive as he was, the odds of Beaver getting a shot in the NFL after two years away from football are about the same as Obama coming clean about his personal history.Edited by: Jimmy Chitwood

This will be my last post on Justin Beaver in this thread...

Jimmy Chitwood said:
as talented and productive as he was, the odds of Beaver getting a shot in the NFL after two years away from football are about the same as Obama coming clean about his personal history.</div></div></div>

No offense JC, but if he were to actually seek it I think he's odds are better especially after the success of Danny Woodhead, who just as easily could have been tossed to the wayside other than fate had other plans.

Now just take this with a grain of salt if it will allow you to see where I'm coming from. I don't think 2 years out of football is necessarily a death sentence. Yes, it is extremely unusual for someone to miss two years and come back in any sport, but it still has happened. Maybe it even serves as the rest and recuperation his body needed.

My question is, how long would it take to get back in football shape? Assuming he wasn't just sitting around getting fat and was working out, I believe 6 months of dedicated lifting, speed training, and football drills could get him back in peak performance. If his agent can secure a spot at a training camp with a coach possibly seeking to duplicate the next Danny Woodhead, then that's his window. Remember, Beaver is only 26 years old, which for a lot of men is still 2 years of your physical peak. If trains right, I don't see any reason he would perform any worse than he did at an earlier age. He's the same age now that Wes Welker was when he broke out, and only a little more than a year older than Woodhead.

Don't get me wrong, it would take some very special circumstances for this to happen, but crazier things have happened in the world.

If nothing else I hope Beaver is able to inspire and coach some young athletes to make it to D 1 FBS schools and the NFL!

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Things like this make you wonder how many countlesss white kids get screwed over each year? This has been going on for decades. These kids have towalk on to a university and pay their way while they try to earn an athletic scholarship for their final two years. Go unrecruited at all orchange positions to a more white friendly spot.Some go to a small Div II or III School. They dominate and break records all to only be screwed over again by the NFL. What a damn shame. There are many other Woodheads that never get the chance. The stupid media and fans act like he is the only small white guy with speed and moves. Danny Woodhead is incredible but so are these other guys. So it continues year after year. Decade after decade. WAKE UP PEOPLE. Look at what happens to these kids. Edited by: white lightning

white lightning

Hall of Famer
That video gets me pumped up. I hope he hasn't give up the dream despite his chances of winning the Powerball are better than him playing in the NFL. Just ask Mike Hass.

white lightning said:
That video gets me pumped up. I hope he hasn't give up the dream despite his chances of winning the Powerball are better than him playing in the NFL. Just ask Mike Hass.

I agree it's very frustrating that hundreds or even thousands of Danny Woodheads and Wes Welkers get overlooked (in fact both of them WERE initially overlooked!), not to mention the many great white athletes that simply do and excel at other sports because either they, or their parents thought they were "too small."

Even though it's probably 75% pure chance for these guys to make it in the NFL, but unlike the Powerball it is part determination and an extremely indomitable spirit and irrepressible desire to succeed at all costs. If Woodhead did not have this part, there's no way he'd be where he is no. To be cliche he'd be "bagging groceries."

I think even I can't fully take in and comprehend the Danny Woodhead story. HE IS the Nate Kmic, the Justin Beaver, and the other dominant small school running backs that up until now had little to zero chance of even making an NFL roster.

Much like Roger Bannister breaking the 4 minute mile helped change the belief system of distance runners in the world, I think Danny Woodhead finally emerging after white running backs had been stuck in the proverbial cocoon for a few decades will ultimate prove to be a similar milestone! This could literally have a seismic, societal altering effect where the caste system crashes and burns much faster than any of us could have ever dreamed!

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Danny's success has been a huge blow to the caste system. I do feel for the countless White athletes at small and large schools who have been shut out of the NFL for so long. I keep hoping for more players like him in the big colleges. As I sit here, Syracuse is reportedly going to use a 5-8, 192 black RB next season. He's the same size as Danny and nowhere near as fast and yet there is little talk of him being too small for the position. So many examples of the caste system in action are around us, only the blinders of the caste system can keep people from seeing it.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
Electric Slide said:
No offense JC, but if he were to actually seek it I think he's odds are better especially after the success of Danny Woodhead, who just as easily could have been tossed to the wayside other than fate had other plans.

Now just take this with a grain of salt if it will allow you to see where I'm coming from. I don't think 2 years out of football is necessarily a death sentence. Yes, it is extremely unusual for someone to miss two years and come back in any sport, but it still has happened. Maybe it even serves as the rest and recuperation his body needed.

My question is, how long would it take to get back in football shape? Assuming he wasn't just sitting around getting fat and was working out, I believe 6 months of dedicated lifting, speed training, and football drills could get him back in peak performance. If his agent can secure a spot at a training camp with a coach possibly seeking to duplicate the next Danny Woodhead, then that's his window. Remember, Beaver is only 26 years old, which for a lot of men is still 2 years of your physical peak. If trains right, I don't see any reason he would perform any worse than he did at an earlier age. He's the same age now that Wes Welker was when he broke out, and only a little more than a year older than Woodhead.

Don't get me wrong, it would take some very special circumstances for this to happen, but crazier things have happened in the world.

If nothing else I hope Beaver is able to inspire and coach some young athletes to make it to D 1 FBS schools and the NFL!

no offence taken, mate. in this case, i hope you're proven right. it wouldn't bother me at all to be wrong if Beaver, Kmic, Sharp, Zwinggi, and so on, were given legitimate opportunities to play in the NFL.

i'm glad to see you keeping up the positive outlook, because sometimes i let the Caste System get the best of me.
smiley20.gif