Christian McCaffrey

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
Well let's see if the play calling changes in a way that will help McCaffrey run for more yardage.
They obviously understand that he is best used in space, as they try to get him in out in space in the passing game.
But then at the same time, they contradict this, by usually running him between the tackles.
Maybe they will catch on and try more plays off-tackle.
At the same time, some runs up the gut are needed to set up the passing game.

Warhawk_46

Master
Well let's see if the play calling changes in a way that will help McCaffrey run for more yardage.
They obviously understand that he is best used in space, as they try to get him in out in space in the passing game.
But then at the same time, they contradict this, by usually running him between the tackles.
Maybe they will catch on and try more plays off-tackle.
At the same time, some runs up the gut are needed to set up the passing game.
I agree in that I hope they get a bit less predictable in their running game with Christian. I would also like to see he and Juice in the game at the same time more often. And give Juice the ball a couple times a game as well on the fullback dive.

But more tosses and off-tackle runs would be smart of the 49ers to do to give Christian some space to operate.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
I agree in that I hope they get a bit less predictable in their running game with Christian. I would also like to see he and Juice in the game at the same time more often. And give Juice the ball a couple times a game as well on the fullback dive.

But more tosses and off-tackle runs would be smart of the 49ers to do to give Christian some space to operate.
how about running a simple counter play? do they even do that? (i admit to not having watched a single second of NFL game action since they went fully woke a couple years back.)

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
how about running a simple counter play? do they even do that? (i admit to not having watched a single second of NFL game action since they went fully woke a couple years back.)
Right JC. I believe a simple counter is what they ran when CMAC broke off the 30 yard run Sunday. I don't watch alot. I like to see CMAC and few others, so I try to catch only the players I'm interested in.

Warhawk_46

Master
Right JC. I believe a simple counter is what they ran when CMAC broke off the 30 yard run Sunday. I don't watch alot. I like to see CMAC and few others, so I try to catch only the players I'm interested in.
Also agreed with both of you men. Little bit of misdirection and unpredictability in the the run game will do wonders. I think SanFran is still in the exploratory stage with CMC, but they need to get a move on it.

Warhawk_46

Master
Well, they got a big more creative and coupled with being on the field with Juice… McCaffrey’s best game as a 49er! He sat out the 4th quarter essentially as well. He likely could have had another 30-50 yards rushing.

white is right

Hall of Famer
Well, they got a big more creative and coupled with being on the field with Juice… McCaffrey’s best game as a 49er! He sat out the 4th quarter essentially as well. He likely could have had another 30-50 yards rushing.
CMac just passed Ed Podolak and in recent weeks Jim Otis and Rob Carpenter in the all time rushing list. He is going up in rarified air for White tailbacks/fullbacks/qb's. Next up is Marv Hubbard who is 30 yards away.....

Flint

Mentor
I still don’t get the NFL mindset that there’s this one little white guy in the whole world that can be the primary ball carrier. Does he look different then other similarly in shape white players? I mean do GM’s and scouts look at him as a pure freak of nature and not wonder if there are others like him?

How do you rationalize not ever giving a promising HS star or a solid college runner with the same skill set a chance?

BeyondFedUp

Hall of Famer
I still don’t get the NFL mindset that there’s this one little white guy in the whole world that can be the primary ball carrier. Does he look different then other similarly in shape white players? I mean do GM’s and scouts look at him as a pure freak of nature and not wonder if there are others like him?

How do you rationalize not ever giving a promising HS star or a solid college runner with the same skill set a chance?
They know the narrative is not true. The agenda is more important than the product on the field. There is no rationalizing it as I see it. The ones in the loop as far as scouts, coaches, owners, etc. seem all in on it and it's just a matter of degree of how much they want to avoid the charge of the dreaded "R" word.

Bob

You would hope at some level McCaffrey's ability and production would change people's perspectives. I think what makes it even more absurd is that McCaffrey is not just a serviceable running back, but a true generational talent.

While he is an excellent athlete, he isn't a "freak" (relative to the NFL), and what separates him from other running backs (in my opinion) is his vision, technical skills, and spatial awareness. Logically, you would conclude if McCaffrey represents the top 1% of NFL running back talent, there should be dozens of white running backs - who might not quite have the athleticism/football nouse - in the second and third tiers in the NFL.

Although the way Max Borghi has been treated so far is discouraging, I'm hoping McCaffrey can provide a template for white running backs coming into the league, the same way Wes Welker did for receivers. Pre-McCaffrey it seemed to me the popular archetype of a white running back was very much in the Peyton Hillis/Mike Alstott/John Riggins mould - a big 220-pound+ bulldozer. From a historical perspective, McCaffrey is a bit of a throwback to someone like Frank Gifford - a smaller, more versatile back that seemed to fairly common back in the 1950s and 1960s.

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer

I've said this at least a half of dozen times. McCaffrey is in the NFL because of his father. If his name wasn't McCaffrey, he would be another Borghi. IMO. However, I hope Bob is right that this could provide a template for other white RB's, but I'm still not sold that this will happen. Sam McGuffie, remember him, was very similar to McCaffrey and we saw how he was treated. McGuffie hurdled defenders before hurdling defenders was cool. And he did it with ease. Go back and look at his HS highlights. They're incredible! I'll be interested to see how Will Shipley is treated. If Shipley makes into the starting lineup on an NFL team, there will be some hope. I hope.

white is right

Hall of Famer
I've said this at least a half of dozen times. McCaffrey is in the NFL because of his father. If his name wasn't McCaffrey, he would be another Borghi. IMO. However, I hope Bob is right that this could provide a template for other white RB's, but I'm still not sold that this will happen. Sam McGuffie, remember him, was very similar to McCaffrey and we saw how he was treated. McGuffie hurdled defenders before hurdling defenders was cool. And he did it with ease. Go back and look at his HS highlights. They're incredible! I'll be interested to see how Will Shipley is treated. If Shipley makes into the starting lineup on an NFL team, there will be some hope. I hope.
The name helped significantly but Danny Woodhead was a poor man's CMac( in a good way) and as Jet he was used as a poor man's Deebo Samuel and then as Patriot he was poor man's CMac. So I think if he was Christian Smith he would still be in the league if he got to play significant time in college.

Last edited:

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Yes indeed my friend. We will all be watching the treatment of Will Shipley very, very closely. If he can't get a shot we are screwed. A guy
like Carson Steele should be on everyones radar after 1500 plus yards but he is white so like usual they do their best to ignore his talent.

Hopefully Cmac paved the way for Shipley & maybe a slight chance for Steele. I would like to see both of them in the NFL.

Warhawk_46

Master
Yes indeed my friend. We will all be watching the treatment of Will Shipley very, very closely. If he can't get a shot we are screwed. A guy
like Carson Steele should be on everyones radar after 1500 plus yards but he is white so like usual they do their best to ignore his talent.

Hopefully Cmac paved the way for Shipley & maybe a slight chance for Steele. I would like to see both of them in the NFL.
I still do wonder if Borghi, after likely doing very well in the XFL, will get another shot. He is essentially similar to McCaffrey. Not quite as agile, a little bit faster. But receiver-type hands and ability to make people miss in space.

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
I still do wonder if Borghi, after likely doing very well in the XFL, will get another shot. He is essentially similar to McCaffrey. Not quite as agile, a little bit faster. But receiver-type hands and ability to make people miss in space.
Borghi will likely be in an NFL camp with someone this summer. However for him to receive any serious consideration he’s going to have to excel in the XFL. Like not just do well. Tear it up every game.

white is right

Hall of Famer
Borghi will likely be in an NFL camp with someone this summer. However for him to receive any serious consideration he’s going to have to excel in the XFL. Like not just do well. Tear it up every game.
Similar to AAA baseball or the AHL in hockey he will need to put video game numbers to have an inside track status to make a 53man roster. If he puts up solid to all star stats he will probably be in a camp but at best he will be fighting for practice squad status if not what he was this year a true camp body.

Last edited:

Warhawk_46

Master
As much as I wouldn’t want it - hear me out, but Borghi could be CMCs backup in SanFran. Similar type of skill set.

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
As much as I wouldn’t want it - hear me out, but Borghi could be CMCs backup in SanFran. Similar type of skill set.
I like it. Certainly not losing much with the substitution. Very similar size and skill set. Borghi just a frog's hair slower at 4.52. CMAC ran 4.48.
...and Borghi has proven to be a great pass catcher out of the backfield and runs well too.
San Francisco would be smart to grab Borghi off the wire since Mitchell is on IR or is Borghi on someone's PS?
Great idea Warhawk46. Maybe you should try coaching?

Freethinker

Hall of Famer

I like it. Certainly not losing much with the substitution. Very similar size and skill set. Borghi just a frog's hair slower at 4.52. CMAC ran 4.48.
...and Borghi has proven to be a great pass catcher out of the backfield and runs well too.
San Francisco would be smart to grab Borghi off the wire since Mitchell is on IR or is Borghi on someone's PS?
Great idea Warhawk46. Maybe you should try coaching?
It would make sense to stack similar backs. Heck the Ravens do it with QBs. They have 3 black quarterbacks in the Lamar Jackson mode so that if and when he’s hurt, the next guys up all fill in seamlessly.

The 49ers should do the same and stack White running backs with a similar skill set. ;)

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
The Patriots used to stack White receivers and even running backs to a degree as Rex Burkhead followed Danny Woodhead.

Speaking of which, I couldn't help but wonder what The Genius was thinking as a shot of him jogging unhappily off the field was shown following his team losing to the Raiders as a result of the bonehead play of the decade by some of his players yesterday.

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
The Patriots used to stack White receivers and even running backs to a degree as Rex Burkhead followed Danny Woodhead.

Speaking of which, I couldn't help but wonder what The Genius was thinking as a shot of him jogging unhappily off the field was shown following his team losing to the Raiders as a result of the bonehead play of the decade by some of his players yesterday.
One wonders if he wishes he still had more Woodheads, Welkers or Edelmans around, who played sound football and made smart decisions? What I do however know, is that losing to long time assistant McDaniels must have really stuck in his craw. I wouldn’t mind if The Genius retired if the Pats miss the playoffs again this year.

Warhawk_46

Master

I have to think he is lamenting his piss-poor drafts that racked up black scrub after black scrub while he alienated and discarded his productive white players (Amendola, Burkhead, Woodhead, etc.) that always came through in the clutch and would never in a million years make such a retarded play.

Warhawk_46

Master
Not that the Pro Bowl is what it used to be, but CMC is leading the fan vote at his position. He is now 10th in rushing yards and the top receiving running back. He is getting stronger down the stretch too which weighs in the minds of sportswriters. He will be a Pro Bowler and has an outside chance of being named an All-Pro again. I think he gets named one for the flex position.

He will reach 1k rushing with around 700 yards receiving.

All-Pro teams and Pro Bowl teams matter for HOF consideration. He has a few more years like this year and he will make it. So happy to see his bounce-back year after the injury bug in 2020 and 2021.

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
CMac just passed Ed Podolak and in recent weeks Jim Otis and Rob Carpenter in the all time rushing list. He is going up in rarified air for White tailbacks/fullbacks/qb's. Next up is Marv Hubbard who is 30 yards away.....
He has also passed some pretty good white TE's, Novacek, Ditka, and Cooley, and a good white WR in Chris Collinsworth on the receptions list. He currently has 431 career receptions. Next up, Eric Decker 439, the great TE Todd Christiansen, 461, WR Pat Tilley, 468, TE Owen Daniels 479. He could also pass his father Ed McCaffrey, 565 receptions in the next 2 years. Pretty amazing considering he's played the equivalent of about 4 and half years. Cooper Kupp sits at 508 receptions.

wile

Master
Love/Hate with sports records, but it is an everlasting source of debate. Sidetrack time, the single season rushing record in my mind still belongs to Simpson IMO which is greatly influenced by nostalgia. I was a youngin and killing time sitting in front of our tube TV watching one of the 4 channels we could get in the sticks and they were showing the Bills game at that crappy stadium with a mud pit field. Of course I would have actually watched a Ty Cobb game, but I had to settle for my grandfather's recollection of the Golden Age of BB.