Christian McCaffrey

icsept

Master
I like the trade. He won’t be a one man show anymore, but that will contribute to his longevity and hopefully be on a winning team. This makes SF a caste football a top NFC team this year.

Bucky

Hall of Famer
I'm with @Don Wassall and @icsept . Scheme wise this perfect for CMac. As mentioned they are like Broncos Shanahan teams from 90s and early 2000s. Anyone they put back there had a good shot at 1k rushing!

Just be happy he got out of the dumpster fire Carolina has become.

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
In recent years the 49ers have been able to plug in anyone at RB and they do well. They have a great running scheme. Plus Garappolo likes to check down to his backs. SF has some issues with their o-line this season, but how many teams don't. Look at how poor the Rams line has been. Overall I like the landing spot a lot. Christian should look a lot more like peak Christian now. Next year if it's back to Lance it might be a different story. But for this season it looks quite promising.
I’m with you Don. I heard the news and immediately thought it was a good thing.

To anyone else who wanted Buffalo or Los Angeles, I understand the disappointment but I don’t think either was a better landing spot necessarily. From a demographics point of view, I just compiled every team and the 49ers and Bills are virtually the same. Other than Josh Allen, I actually prefer the 49ers as they have Kittle, Juice and Nick Bosa who are all top stars at their positions. Also, look at how Buffalo has used their running backs under McDermott. They are an afterthought in the offense and used only to kept the defense honest before the next big pass play. Allen runs enough to also eat into that meager number of touches.

Looking at the Rams, they need help at RB and are demographically a top 3 team. However, I just updated their roster and starters yesterday so I could post the most accurate numbers possible. I hadn’t realized how badly their offensive line had been ravaged by injury. They started the year 4/5 White and now are down to 1 or 2. Even if healthy, the line was questionable but now it’s downright awful with lousy sumos plugging in everywhere. If CMac went to the Rams he’d struggle to put up good numbers.

Now that the 49ers have CMac, they jump into the upper echelon of teams to root for. Bengals, Rams, Lions and 49ers. The Panthers will now drop from a run of the mill caste team to the worst of the worst category. That’s factoring the lose of a starter and assuming his roster spot will be filled by a black.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
I’m with you Don. I heard the news and immediately thought it was a good thing.

To anyone else who wanted Buffalo or Los Angeles, I understand the disappointment but I don’t think either was a better landing spot necessarily. From a demographics point of view, I just compiled every team and the 49ers and Bills are virtually the same. Other than Josh Allen, I actually prefer the 49ers as they have Kittle, Juice and Nick Bosa who are all top stars at their positions. Also, look at how Buffalo has used their running backs under McDermott. They are an afterthought in the offense and used only to kept the defense honest before the next big pass play. Allen runs enough to also eat into that meager number of touches.

Looking at the Rams, they need help at RB and are demographically a top 3 team. However, I just updated their roster and starters yesterday so I could post the most accurate numbers possible. I hadn’t realized how badly their offensive line had been ravaged by injury. They started the year 4/5 White and now are down to 1 or 2. Even if healthy, the line was questionable but now it’s downright awful with lousy sumos plugging in everywhere. If CMac went to the Rams he’d struggle to put up good numbers.

Now that the 49ers have CMac, they jump into the upper echelon of teams to root for. Bengals, Rams, Lions and 49ers. The Panthers will now drop from a run of the mill caste team to the worst of the worst category. That’s factoring the lose of a starter and assuming his roster spot will be filled by a black.

Hard to argue with your logic. I was hoping the Bills to be honest, if anything to give Josh Allen an actual reliable running back to balance the offense out. The other running backs on the Bills are average to mediocre.

Ending up with the 49ers for the rest of this year isn’t terrible. They have a lot of White talent and a solid qb. Problem is the 49ers have given away so much draft capital that they are in win now mode - McCaffery, Samuel, Kittle are all in their prime now. After this year the 49ers will once again put their hopes in a qb that is looking more and more like a bust (a qb that they gave up several first round picks for).

Also it’s good news that Carolina will more than likely make a mistake and draft a black quarterback 1st overall on a team lacking talent. Darnold and Mayfield can both move on as well.

white is right

Hall of Famer
Now I gotta throw out all my Carolina stuff!
Ha my only time I ever contemplated buying official gear was when a star player was traded and the shirt would drop from the crazy 200 dollars or so for the shirt to less than a 100.

As for the trade it's a gamble by the 49ers but Lynch has been viewed as gambler as he drafted the unproven Lance and now he is gambling that CMAC won't break down and be a difference maker.

Bob

Of all the places McCaffery could have ended up - San Francisco is potentially the best place to maximise his skill set. He might not quite get the volume of carries he got in Carolina, but given the way the Panthers coaching staff ran him into the ground - that might not be a bad thing.

In San Francisco he has one of the best offensive lines in the league, a QB in Garoppolo who has a good short passing game, and probably the best blocking TE in the game with Kittle.

Kyle Shanahan also has some of the best running schemes in the NFL, and if you combine McCaffrey with Kyle Juszczyk and Deebo Samuel, that is one of the most versatile backfields going around. In that offence he will be able to fully utilise both his running and receiving talents - and even if he has a slight reduction in touches at least he won't be carrying the ball 15 times a week up the gut like he has been doing in Carolina.

Kaptain

Master
What's interesting in hearing all the draft pick talk around this trade is learning how the system is rigged against Whites in the coaching staff area. Part of the Rooney rules was giving some sort of draft pick compensation for hiring black coaches and also for having black coaches leave your coaching staff. How much longer before the coaching staffs start looking like most defenses - 80% or better black? As far as the McCaffrey trade I think it's a steal. McCaffrey was an eigth overall pick and exceeded all expert expectations. They gave up 2,3,4, and 5. Who the heck cares? - those guys are routinely cut from teams - even first rounders quite often don't ever pan out to even being starting material. And I guess Carolina will still be paying part of McCaffrey's salary? I could be wrong on that. Compare it to other trades of dominant rbs like Hershel Walker and Eric D. - both those guys were older and just past their prime but number ones as well as other draft picks were given up. San Fran is getting a prime McCaffrey only 26. A steal. San Francisco is a benefactory of the pendulum swinging to far to disfavor trading for a dominant RB because of the Walker ill-advised trade.

ximasa

Guru
What's interesting in hearing all the draft pick talk around this trade is learning how the system is rigged against Whites in the coaching staff area. Part of the Rooney rules was giving some sort of draft pick compensation for hiring black coaches and also for having black coaches leave your coaching staff. How much longer before the coaching staffs start looking like most defenses - 80% or better black? As far as the McCaffrey trade I think it's a steal. McCaffrey was an eigth overall pick and exceeded all expert expectations. They gave up 2,3,4, and 5. Who the heck cares? - those guys are routinely cut from teams - even first rounders quite often don't ever pan out to even being starting material. And I guess Carolina will still be paying part of McCaffrey's salary? I could be wrong on that. Compare it to other trades of dominant rbs like Hershel Walker and Eric D. - both those guys were older and just past their prime but number ones as well as other draft picks were given up. San Fran is getting a prime McCaffrey only 26. A steal. San Francisco is a benefactory of the pendulum swinging to far to disfavor trading for a dominant RB because of the Walker ill-advised trade.

I like the deal, Panthers seem to get 4 picks back that Niners doesn't care, it's a win-win-win deal.
Jimmy G is the best QB for McCaffrey among the other names, even next year, if Lance is starting QB, he will need CMC more than anyone else.

Phall

Master
I like the deal, Panthers seem to get 4 picks back that Niners doesn't care, it's a win-win-win deal.
Jimmy G is the best QB for McCaffrey among the other names, even next year, if Lance is starting QB, he will need CMC more than anyone else.
I’m no doctor, but Lance’s injury looked grotesque. I would be shocked if he’s back in 12 months. Since scrambling is a big part of his game, I’d say there’s a decent chance he never makes it back (he’ll still get a long audition to suck though a la RG3). If Jimmy G isn’t back, there will be another “backup” quarterback on the roster for McCaffrey next year. (Tom Brady?)

At Stanford Christian McCaffrey was in the best situation he could be in. He did everything but win the Heisman.

Carolina was not good over the long haul. CMac had two great years, then lost two seasons to injury. This is very bad for a running back, who doesn't have too many prime years to spare.

The 49ers look good for him. CMac may feel more comfortable in the Bay Area. And a running back has to be on a playoff contender in order to make a big impression.

The Hock

Master
When Cmac is healthy he is a real weapon. But he does have an injury history. The Niners are taking a chance.

But if they use him wisely and he stays healthy the trade will be a real win for both parties.

Flint

Mentor
Too bad! I think I saw that rarest of occurrences last week, an all White backfield with Garropolo, CMAC and Juszczyk.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Too bad! I think I saw that rarest of occurrences last week, an all White backfield with Garropolo, CMAC and Juszczyk.

Yes I agree and your spot on. The sad thing it we still have alot of white qb's and white fullbacks. We just need more
white running backs. Yet the league does not want this at all. I'm sure every team has it's pecking orders. Just look at
an elite athlete and fine running back like Borghi being cut again and again without even getting a single carry.

El Gringo

Mentor
I love Cmac but we need another white big back like Hillis. If “unfortunately” all the black Chargers rbs get hurt maybe Horvath could get a shot. I guess he’s our only hope. Maybe Luepke next year if he runs a 4.49 or better.

Warhawk_46

Master
I love Cmac but we need another white big back like Hillis. If “unfortunately” all the black Chargers rbs get hurt maybe Horvath could get a shot. I guess he’s our only hope. Maybe Luepke next year if he runs a 4.49 or better.
Agreed, the Hillis-type is huge. Horvath and Nall both have that ability, they just haven’t (and likely won’t) get a shot.

Carson Steele and Luepke could be that person though. I think as defense get smaller and lighter (and softer) offenses will revert back to some power tuning schemes.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I was hoping Horvath would get at least a few carries here and there but it's not happening. He's being treated like a traditional fullback of the past 20 years or so, an extra offensive lineman who gets an occasional reception rather than as a Hillis or Alstott "type." His obvious running ability is being completely ignored. It may still happen for him at some point but it'll take another scenario like what happened for Hillis, namely a bunch of Black RBs in front of him on the depth chart falling like bowling pins, and maybe not even then. What a waste of talent.

Nall's toast, he'll never get a chance in the NFL.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Agreed, the Hillis-type is huge. Horvath and Nall both have that ability, they just haven’t (and likely won’t) get a shot.

Carson Steele and Luepke could be that person though. I think as defense get smaller and lighter (and softer) offenses will revert back to some power tuning schemes.
Both of these speedy powerhouse bulldozers deserve to run the ball in the NFL. I doubt it will happen but hoping I'm wrong.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer

I think that the rules have been tweaked enough to make it easier for the game to be played in space. The NFL will do everything in it's power to manipulate and engineer the game to ensure it skews more towards basketball on grass. Some outliers exist for sure but the I-Formation and power running probably won't be making a comeback unfortunately.

Your logic is completely sound and makes sense. Assemble a great offensive line, put a strong power back as the focal point and run it down the throats of all the undersized edge defenders/linebacker safety hybrids. I think we can all agree that logic does not jive with the narrative being pushed.

El Gringo

Mentor

I forgot about Steele, he probably has the best chance. Unless he runs a 4.6 forty.

Warhawk_46

Master
I think that the rules have been tweaked enough to make it easier for the game to be played in space. The NFL will do everything in it's power to manipulate and engineer the game to ensure it skews more towards basketball on grass. Some outliers exist for sure but the I-Formation and power running probably won't be making a comeback unfortunately.

Your logic is completely sound and makes sense. Assemble a great offensive line, put a strong power back as the focal point and run it down the throats of all the undersized edge defenders/linebacker safety hybrids. I think we can all agree that logic does not jive with the narrative being pushed.
Look at the success that Derrick Henry and the Titans have… Horvath and Nall, for example, could fill the same role for teams. I suppose the ultimate choice is between adhering to the caste-system or winning. When I see these soft defense with underwear Olympics defenders where linebackers are the size of safeties of yesteryear, power running would be unstoppable. The smaller, lighter defenses would get worn down and become useless by the 4th quarter.

That being said, the need to keep the DWFs thinking whites cannot run the ball is very strong for the msm.

Shipley will get the McCaffrey treatment as he is/will be a bonfide Power 5 All-American next year with the speed and receiving skills to be too good (and visible) to hide.

But make no mistake, the ptb will not allow an influx of white running backs into the league.

Flint

Mentor
Interesting note: The Los Angeles Rams reportedly offered second-, third- and fifth-round draft picks, along with RB Cam Akers, to the Carolina Panthers in exchange for RB Christian McCaffrey, before he was ultimately traded to the San Francisco 49ers, according to multiple sources.