Baker Mayfield

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Thanks for the news about Baker Mayfield. Perfect team and the perfect situation. So happy for him because of all the bad things with
the last two teams he was with. Fresh start and onto better days ahead. Yes it is a shame Cooper Kupp is hurt.

BeyondFedUp

Hall of Famer
Good news for Baker:

The way that article paints him is par for the course for White athletes and especially QBs. The indirect and not-so-indirect derisive remarks reek from the author. I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but how many times have we seen seasons upon seasons given to magical players and the push and outright rooting for Black QBs to succeed regardless of their failings for all to see. Mayfield didn't consistently light it up but the way he was treated in Cleveland was pathetic. Then his Carolina tenure was almost loaded against him from the start. I hope he makes the best of leading the Rams the rest of the way, and maybe take over one day if Stafford is injured or retires soon.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Mayfield with a great game the other night as the Rams embarrassed the Broncos. His late season performance will hopefully help him land on his feet next year. Rams would be wise to hold onto him IMO.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Mayfield with a great game the other night as the Rams embarrassed the Broncos. His late season performance will hopefully help him land on his feet next year. Rams would be wise to hold onto him IMO.
I guarantee he will stay with the Rams. Everyone can see Stafford has 2 or 3 good years left. He could play longer but now that he has a ring I think that he has achieved what he set out to do. I can see him retiring with Mayfield taking over. Plus with Staffords age, injuries could be a problem
going forward.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Rooting for him to play well.

For some reasons he reminds me alot of Johnny "Football" Manziel.

Hoping that Baker Mayfield can land on his feet this time and get his career back on track. Be careful of the decisions you
make both on and off the field!

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
Baker Reagan Mayfield has to be one of my favorite stories from this season. Hated and written off by DWF's, sports pundits and coaches, he's having success in Tampa. I've been a big fan of Baker since his days at Oklahoma, and never really understood why the OC's he's played for didn't design the offense around his strengths. It's the same 'ol same 'ol in that a white QB has to just be a pocket passer, athleticism be damned. You watch Mayfield this year with the Bucs, especially the last six games or so, and you see the old Sooner running and chucking.

icsept

Master
Baker Reagan Mayfield has to be one of my favorite stories from this season. Hated and written off by DWF's, sports pundits and coaches, he's having success in Tampa. I've been a big fan of Baker since his days at Oklahoma, and never really understood why the OC's he's played for didn't design the offense around his strengths. It's the same 'ol same 'ol in that a white QB has to just be a pocket passer, athleticism be damned. You watch Mayfield this year with the Bucs, especially the last six games or so, and you see the old Sooner running and chucking.
Didn’t know his middle name was “Reagan.” His parents were into Ronald Reagan? That’s cool. He’s a little short. He’s mobile, but not an elite runner. His arm is elite. He had elite arm strength MPH at the combine. Nobody seems to give him credit for that.

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
Didn’t know his middle name was “Reagan.” His parents were into Ronald Reagan? That’s cool. He’s a little short. He’s mobile, but not an elite runner. His arm is elite. He had elite arm strength MPH at the combine. Nobody seems to give him credit for that.
I remember the game between Texas Tech featuring Patrick Mahomes and the Sooners with Baker. It was an unbelievable Big 12 defense-optional game. I remember how remarkably similar they both played, similar pocket awareness, escapability and down-the-field passing. Mahomes ended up going to a good situation, getting to learn for a year behind a master QB Alex Smith before getting to lead a good disciplined offense with weapons. Baker was thrown directly into the fire on a somewhat dysfunctional Browns team and still did pretty well considering. Glad that he's finally gotten the chance he deserved and he's making the most of it.

wile

Master
I call it the Marino effect almost the ski boot era Marino effect. Years ago the Vikings had a mobile white QB average player for the position and the play calling for a guy with wheels was stand in pocket get crushed and repeat for 60 minutes. Then they draft a black savior QB with limited mobility (Bridgewater I think) and allow him to roll out. Reason 10,864 why I think football coaches should be middle school PE teachers handing out soft rubber balls for dodgeball.

Bucky

Hall of Famer
I call it the Marino effect almost the ski boot era Marino effect. Years ago the Vikings had a mobile white QB average player for the position and the play calling for a guy with wheels was stand in pocket get crushed and repeat for 60 minutes. Then they draft a black savior QB with limited mobility (Bridgewater I think) and allow him to roll out. Reason 10,864 why I think football coaches should be middle school PE teachers handing out soft rubber balls for dodgeball.
LOL agreed there

SneakyQuick

Mentor
Honestly did anyone who saw what Brian Daboll looks like in his stupid hooded sweatshirt, not think , “gee that guy would be lucky to get a job as a gym teacher”?

Contrast that with how Tom Landry looked on the sidelines and how he acted while there.

My how far we have fallen in one generation

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Good for Baker, who's been through a lot of bs since being the first overall draft pick:

NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport reports the Buccaneers and Baker Mayfield have agreed to three-year, $100 million contract.
According to Rapoport, Mayfield’s deal includes $50 million in guaranteed money, and he can earn as much as $115 million over the next three years. The former No. 1 overall pick joined the Buccaneers on a one-year prove-it deal last offseason and wound up throwing for 4,044-28-10 while leading the Bucs to a 9-8 record and a postseason berth. In the NFC Wild Card game against the Eagles, Mayfield threw for 337 yards and three touchdowns to down the Eagles and went for another 349-3-2 in the divisional round loss to the Lions. With Mayfield and Mike Evans now back in the mix, the Bucs will look to add to their roster and defend their NFC South title for the third-consecutive season.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Good for Baker, who's been through a lot of bs since being the first overall draft pick:

NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport reports the Buccaneers and Baker Mayfield have agreed to three-year, $100 million contract.
According to Rapoport, Mayfield’s deal includes $50 million in guaranteed money, and he can earn as much as $115 million over the next three years. The former No. 1 overall pick joined the Buccaneers on a one-year prove-it deal last offseason and wound up throwing for 4,044-28-10 while leading the Bucs to a 9-8 record and a postseason berth. In the NFC Wild Card game against the Eagles, Mayfield threw for 337 yards and three touchdowns to down the Eagles and went for another 349-3-2 in the divisional round loss to the Lions. With Mayfield and Mike Evans now back in the mix, the Bucs will look to add to their roster and defend their NFC South title for the third-consecutive season.

Great news. He's been through a lot of adversity but looks a whole lot better than Watson ever has in Cleveland. Would be nice if the Bucs went a little White on defense. I think Anthony Nelson should be playing alot more than he does and their secondary was exposed in the playoffs.

Bucky

Hall of Famer
Good for Baker indeed! He got out of Cleveland and has resurrected his career in the process. Win/win.