Adam Thielen

Phall

Master
Nice write-up here on Thielen's very successful 2023 season.

4 Carolina Panthers players who outperformed their pay grade in 2023

Adam Thielen - Carolina Panthers WR​

• 2023 salary: $3.3 million
Adam Thielen turned a few heads when he ignored the advances of potential playoff hopefuls to sign for the Carolina Panthers in free agency. This was surprising to many. It also legitimized the project those in power were selling to veteran players during a frantic offseason.

Sadly, this turned out to be fool's gold. The Panthers got worse, not better. Many of their big-name signings failed to meet the required standards. Promising young players who were being counted upon to leap forward fluffed their lines.

This was not the case with Thielen. The wide receiver emerged as the only consistent threat in the passing game. He was Bryce Young's go-to guy despite his advancing years. Nobody else came close to meeting expectations, but the former undrafted free agent out of Minnesota State exceeded them.

Thielen attained his first 1,000-yard receiving season since 2018, a remarkable accomplishment in the circumstances. He also represented tremendous value with a salary-cap hit of just $3.3 million.

It seems as if Thielen has a couple more good years left in the tank. That's why it wouldn't be surprising to see the veteran try and force his way out of Carolina so that his twilight years aren't wasted on one of the league's bottom feeders.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I see a bunch of different headlines in my feed today about Adam Thielen reuniting with the Vikings if he's cut by the Panthers. Why would there even be stories about him being cut when he was a man among boys on the Carolina offense last year, catching 103 passes and doing it on a cheap contract given how good he is?

It might be good to see him go back to Minnesota, but he'd only be the third receiver there behind Jefferson and Addison. The grass is greener and all that stuff. . .

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
I see a bunch of different headlines in my feed today about Adam Thielen reuniting with the Vikings if he's cut by the Panthers. Why would there even be stories about him being cut when he was a man among boys on the Carolina offense last year, catching 103 passes and doing it on a cheap contract given how good he is?

It might be good to see him go back to Minnesota, but he'd only be the third receiver there behind Jefferson and Addison. The grass is greener and all that stuff. . .

I'd be all for that. He played well in 2023 (1k yard season) with the mediocre and absurdly hyped Bryce Young at the helm. Going back to be a reliable target for Darnold/McCarthy would be a nice cap to a stellar career. It would be awesome if he played long enough to get to 10,000 yards. He certainly showed no signs of slowing down and might have a little more mileage in him since he had to overcome the caste system early in his career.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
It's interesting that he's not a "revered mentor" and "clubhouse leader" still playing at a high level even though by all accounts he's a confident and high-caliber person, as any veteran black receiver would be treated in the same situation whether deserving or not. Instead there's a sudden movement (narrative) to show him the door.

Bucky

Hall of Famer
103 catches with a midget QB? Yeah screams cut me. (((Media))) up to its old tricks.

Warhawk_46

Master
Theilen was the lone standout on a laughable Panthers team.

He can easily put up 1k yards on the Vikings if their QB doesn’t force feed Jefferson all game.

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
I actually hope that this doesn't happen. He would be far better off being a 1 or 2 for the Panthers and their laughable number 1 pick than to go to the Vikings and be a decoy. Remember the last couple of seasons with the Vikes he was a decoy for Stephon Diggs. Jefferson will be no different.

Warhawk_46

Master
I actually hope that this doesn't happen. He would be far better off being a 1 or 2 for the Panthers and their laughable number 1 pick than to go to the Vikings and be a decoy. Remember the last couple of seasons with the Vikes he was a decoy for Stephon Diggs. Jefferson will be no different.
He played with Jefferson already and acted as a decoy.

I just think Darnold or McCarthy are far better than the midget in Carolina.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
As I mentioned above the Vikings drafted Jordan Addison in the first round last year so Thielen would be the third receiver at best if he returns to the Vikings. He wouldn't come remotely close to the 103 catches he had last season, probably less than half that number. I'd rather see him be the number one or two receiver again with the Panthers this season then maybe finish his career with the Vikings or another team.

Bucky

Hall of Famer
Ah yes Addison who was depressed after he got a DUI this off-season. Dat upside.

Hoping Thielen continues to play well, wherever it is.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I think Addison will be a bust or semi-bust. But as a first round pick just last year he's going to have a very long leash to reach his "upside." He and Jefferson would greatly reduce previous Thielen's role were he return to Minnesota, and his role was already diminishing before Addison was drafted. I find the whole sudden narrative about Thielen being cut and then returning to the Vikings to be strange, but will of course root for him wherever he plays.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
I think Addison will be a bust or semi-bust. But as a first round pick just last year he's going to have a very long leash to reach his "upside." He and Jefferson would greatly reduce previous Thielen's role were he return to Minnesota, and his role was already diminishing before Addison was drafted. I find the whole sudden narrative about Thielen being cut and then returning to the Vikings to be strange, but will of course root for him wherever he plays.

Speaking of busts I saw former Vikings WR Laquon Treadwell was signed again. this time by the Colts. 8 seasons in the league with 1242 career yards and 5 TDs. Truly up there with the biggest busts at the WR position and a great example of the zero accountability these supposed scouts, personnel experts and GMs get to enjoy.

As for Thielen it's absurd the media is floating him as some sort of potential cut after a stellar 2023 campaign. Interesting sidenote: His best game of the year came in Andy Dalton's only start of the year.