Aaron Rodgers NY Jets

TheVoice

It's looking more and more like this is beginning to take shape.

I'm on the fence about it right now.

Question for everyone: How much more gas do you think AR has left in his tank?

sprintstar

Mentor
I think he is fine but why would he go to a team that is as far away from going to a superbowl as GB? Money???

TheVoice

I don't think it's Rodgers so much as GB wanting to move on from him. Not saying the Jets are on the doorstep of a SB quite yet, but their roster has improved considerably over the last year or so. With some league average QB play they would have won 10 games this season and gone to the PO. They have a top 5-6 defense, a terrific RB in Breece Hall, and some outside weapons that Rodgers has already spoken very highly about. They need to fix their OL and also fortify their back end with a good safety.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
I don't think it's Rodgers so much as GB wanting to move on from him. Not saying the Jets are on the doorstep of a SB quite yet, but their roster has improved considerably over the last year or so. With some league average QB play they would have won 10 games this season and gone to the PO. They have a top 5-6 defense, a terrific RB in Breece Hall, and some outside weapons that Rodgers has already spoken very highly about. They need to fix their OL and also fortify their back end with a good safety.

I feel the Jets had needed to fix their o-line every year for the past 5-6 years LOL. The current GM has a bad track record on OL. Becton was an awful 1st round pick by the Jets - we call the overweight, overrated black OL Sumos around here. There is a whole thread dedicated to them.

I certainly think Rodgers would elevate the Jets. He didn't look like he hit a wall at all last year and his down play was more a lack of team building around him. It sounds like the Packers want to move on from him although they say all the right things in public. The current Packers GM/Head Coach will be looking for new jobs within a few years of Rodgers either getting traded or retiring. Rodgers was the one thing that kept the team afloat.

booth

Mentor
He should step back and look at what happened to Brady this year and call it a career. Leave the game healthy, wealthy, and wise.

Flint

Mentor
Let the Jordan Love era begin!
Isn’t it a rule that ex Packer QB greats go to the Jets?

Seriously though this guy can still play and he needs to move on. The Jets are probably a good place for him

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
He should step back and look at what happened to Brady this year and call it a career. Leave the game healthy, wealthy, and wise.
Reminds me of Brett Favre's career arc. Many years and great moments as a Green Bay legend, then to the Jets for a pretty disastrous season before finishing with the Vikings. Rodgers has been an all-time great but what I particularly like about him is his willingness to say what's on his mind and sometimes buck the "party line." Comparable to Novak Djokovic in that regard so I'll root for him to have success with the Jets even though they remain a hard-core Caste team in composition.

Phall

Master
Rodgers did not take the deadly vaxx, so his body is not a ticking time-bomb; by that metric, he's in good shape physically. He is definitely one of my favorite football players at this point, primarily because of his demeanor to the media. As a former erstwhile Jets fan, I can confidently say that this franchise is where careers come to die. Rodgers would also create a media implosion in New York, as sports journalists would be doing incredible gymnastics to villainize a bisexual (allegedly) pagan hippy from Berkeley (which is usually right up their alley). I don't think it's a good culture fit, so I hope he goes elsewhere and succeeds.

Bucky

Hall of Famer
What’s NYJ cap space looking like?

GB might move on from Bakhtiari, Rodgers, and Tonyan. If NYJ can scoop all 3, plus Harrison Smith at safety, and solidify the OL. Haha then they’ll be cooking.

TheVoice

The references to the Favre to the Jets move concerning Rodgers does have come similarity, although, I would point out that the Favre move was actually working out very well for the Jets until it wasn't. In late November of 2008 the Jets went to Nashville and beat the Titans to improve to 8-3 on the year. The next week Favre got hurt and tried to play through that injury to pretty awful results. The Jets would win only one more game that season to finish at 9-7 and out of the playoffs. But Favre was terrific that season until he got hurt. He completed 65% of his throws over the course of the season with 22 TD passes (majority through his first 11 games) but also threw 22 picks to lead the league that season. If Favre never gets hurt I think the Jets win at least 3 of their final 5 games, probably finish with 11 wins, make the post season, and Favre's season in NY is looked at differently. Not saying the Jets will get Rodgers - or I as a Jets fan even want Rodgers. If the guy still has some game left and the Jets can squeeze two more productive seasons out of him then I think the Jets can be a factor in the AFC East. Derek Carr might be the safer play, the more long term play, and certainly would bring much less drama with him to NY. All that said, Mike White is legit imo, he can make any throw on the field, other players love him, and if he gets the chance to play again I like his chances of being that guy. It'll be an interesting off season for the NFL like it pretty much always is.

Flint

Mentor
Favre had one of the best seasons ever for a Jets QB (low bar) so you have to think Rodgers would do well too. They could let the young guy learn a bit (not that it ever works that way anymore). Might be a good move for both parties. I like Carr but he’s no Rodgers. Getting Rodgers puts the Jets in conversation for a post season and maybe more.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
I think Rodgers to the Jets for a year or two wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. He spoke positive about Zach Wilson so in a perfect situation Rodgers comes in, plays at a high level and Wilson is able to sit behind him and learn the ins and outs of the game/how to be an NFL QB. Wilson has been one of the most criticized QBs of this past season (partly his fault and partly the Jets not developing him correctly).

white is right

Hall of Famer
I think Rodgers to the Jets for a year or two wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. He spoke positive about Zach Wilson so in a perfect situation Rodgers comes in, plays at a high level and Wilson is able to sit behind him and learn the ins and outs of the game/how to be an NFL QB. Wilson has been one of the most criticized QBs of this past season (partly his fault and partly the Jets not developing him correctly).
Rodgers has to change his mindset(maybe he has) as he stated something to the affect of it wasn't his job to mentor Love and wouldn't baby him. Brett Favre had the same attitude towards Rodgers but maybe both veterans felt threatened by the younger prospect. Rodgers has to know the writing is on the wall for how many years he has left as an elite qb so he may be a player coach if he goes Jersey.

PS this trade scenario seems deja vu all over again as Favre left under similar circumstances I don't think Rodgers will have groping accusations from massage therapists but beyond that it's a formulaic soap opera scenario....

TheVoice

I've come around to thinking that Derek Carr is the play here for the Jets - but I also can read the tea leaves and feel as though the Jets are hellbent on making this Rodgers thing happen. Carr can be had for no assets in either players or draft capital, Rodgers will require both of those things - not to mention a ball & chain contract for the Jets to inherit. Then again, perhaps Carr has no interest in playing for the Jets...let the weirdness begin.

I don't know that the Jets are as close to competing as they think they are. When Denver added Wilson, there was a sense that he was the only missing piece and that they were going to compete for the division. His individual failures aside, the entire team was kind of exposed as thin on offense. Are the Jets the same story going into this offseason? Adding Nathaniel Hackett makes the parallel even stronger. If I'm Rodgers, I have to pass on the Jets if my goal is to compete for a title.

That said, where else would he go? He already ruled out SF, the most obvious "a-QB-away" contender, so maybe New York is his only real option assuming GB moves on.

The Hock

Master
Why would Rodgers rule out SF? Be a great place for him. Still stinging from them not drafting him? They would be way better than the perennial screw-up Jets.

Warhawk_46

Master
The references to the Favre to the Jets move concerning Rodgers does have come similarity, although, I would point out that the Favre move was actually working out very well for the Jets until it wasn't. In late November of 2008 the Jets went to Nashville and beat the Titans to improve to 8-3 on the year. The next week Favre got hurt and tried to play through that injury to pretty awful results. The Jets would win only one more game that season to finish at 9-7 and out of the playoffs. But Favre was terrific that season until he got hurt. He completed 65% of his throws over the course of the season with 22 TD passes (majority through his first 11 games) but also threw 22 picks to lead the league that season. If Favre never gets hurt I think the Jets win at least 3 of their final 5 games, probably finish with 11 wins, make the post season, and Favre's season in NY is looked at differently. Not saying the Jets will get Rodgers - or I as a Jets fan even want Rodgers. If the guy still has some game left and the Jets can squeeze two more productive seasons out of him then I think the Jets can be a factor in the AFC East. Derek Carr might be the safer play, the more long term play, and certainly would bring much less drama with him to NY. All that said, Mike White is legit imo, he can make any throw on the field, other players love him, and if he gets the chance to play again I like his chances of being that guy. It'll be an interesting off season for the NFL like it pretty much always is.
This is a good point. Favre played through a pretty significant injury during the last several games which affected his ability. He proved how great he still was the next year with the Vikings.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
I like Aaron Rodgers and will always consider him heroic for his outspoken stance against the deadly jab. However I do have to say it’s a little maddening that his “list of demands” for the Jets is to sign 3 washed up blacks (Cobb, Mercedes Lewis and Beckham) and a 3rd receiver type the Jets didn’t need (Lazard). Wouldn’t it be great if just once, a star QB publicly went to the mat for a fellow White athlete. For example, Rodgers has never played with Beckham. Why not advocate for Adam Thielen instead?

Edit to add: thanks WL for jogging my memory as Rodgers did advocate for Kumerow publicly so kudos there. But again, Cobb is totally shot so why not demand Kumerow? If he’s under contract with the Bills, he could probably be had for a 6th or 7th round pick. Just seeing this list of 4 players is a joke that hampers the Jets roster.

Last edited:

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I like Aaron Rodgers and will always consider him heroic for his outspoken stance against the deadly jab. However I do have to say it’s a little maddening that his “list of demands” for the Jets is to sign 3 washed up blacks (Cobb, Mercedes Lewis and Beckham) and a 3rd receiver type the Jets didn’t need (Lazard). Wouldn’t it be great if just once, a star QB publicly went to the mat for a fellow White athlete. For example, Rodgers has never played with Beckham. Why not advocate for Adam Thielen instead?
Excellent point. Probably because he knows it's forbidden to request a team signs white receivers. It's like the kiss of death these days. Aaron
Rodgers saw what happened up in Green Bay when he tried to stick up for a couple of white receivers. Only Jordy Nelson was allowed to stay
there for a long time as all of the other white receivers were quickly delt with. I think he learned it doesn't matter what he wants unless it is
what they want.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member

Edit to add: thanks WL for jogging my memory as Rodgers did advocate for Kumerow publicly so kudos there. But again, Cobb is totally shot so why not demand Kumerow? If he’s under contract with the Bills, he could probably be had for a 6th or 7th round pick. Just seeing this list of 4 players is a joke that hampers the Jets roster.
Do we know conclusively that Rodgers is "demanding" those players, or are the Jets going after them hoping it will help seal the deal with Rodgers? I find it extremely hard to believe Rodgers feels any attachment to Marcedes Lewis, who will soon be 39 and hasn't had as many as 400 receiving yards in a season since 2012. Why would he want him?

As for the others, it's all on a "reported" basis, so who knows how much is true. Lazard was pretty bad last year, not being where Rodgers expected him to be a number of times, and dropping a lot of passes. That's not the way to gain his fabled "trust." Cobb may be his "buddy" but hasn't been good for a long time.

I don't take these reports seriously, maybe Aaron is just having fun making the Jets jump through hoops, but none of those guys are deal breakers, including Beckham, who's 30 now and is coming off his second blown out knee.

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
Do we know conclusively that Rodgers is "demanding" those players, or are the Jets going after them hoping it will help seal the deal with Rodgers? I find it extremely hard to believe Rodgers feels any attachment to Marcedes Lewis, who will soon be 39 and hasn't had as many as 400 receiving yards in a season since 2012. Why would he want him?

As for the others, it's all on a "reported" basis, so who knows how much is true. Lazard was pretty bad last year, not being where Rodgers expected him to be a number of times, and dropping a lot of passes. That's not the way to gain his fabled "trust." Cobb may be his "buddy" but hasn't been good for a long time.

I don't take these reports seriously, maybe Aaron is just having fun making the Jets jump through hoops, but none of those guys are deal breakers, including Beckham, who's 30 now and is coming off his second blown out knee.
Well that’s what sources are reporting. That Rodgers gave the Jets a list. Lazard was already signed by them so that wasn’t fake news.

Here’s what Rodgers said about Lewis and why he wants him.

"A guy like Marcedes Lewis, he's an important cog in the wheel of the locker room and the momentum of the team," Rodgers said during an appearance on "The Pat McAfee Show" in January. "That's a guy I want to finish my career with. If I'm playing, I want that guy next to me.”

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...-gives-jets-wish-list-free-agents-sources-say

Edit: it would be an epic troll if he got the Jets to sign his scrub buddies and then he said no thanks. The Jets are a franchise that deserve it.

Last edited:

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Well that’s what sources are reporting. That Rodgers gave the Jets a list. Lazard was already signed by them so that wasn’t fake news.

Here’s what Rodgers said about Lewis and why he wants him.

"A guy like Marcedes Lewis, he's an important cog in the wheel of the locker room and the momentum of the team," Rodgers said during an appearance on "The Pat McAfee Show" in January. "That's a guy I want to finish my career with. If I'm playing, I want that guy next to me.”

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...-gives-jets-wish-list-free-agents-sources-say
I'm just saying I don't see any of them as deal breakers as none of them are very good and Beckham is a huge unknown at this point. The best of the bunch is Lazard and he'll be lucky to be the number three receiver with the Jets this year. The way things have been shaking Rodgers actually doesn't have a lot of options left if he wants to keep playing as the Packers look ready to move on without him and just about every other team that was QB needy has already made moves.

Rodgers is pretty weird if he has to play with that particular Gang of Four.

Last edited:

Phall

Master
They say that you can’t have a first-world nation with a third-world population. They also say that one man’s trash is another man’s treasure. Sometimes they even say that trade is not a zero-sum game.

I agree with @Freethinker that it would be a very funny troll if Aaron Rodgers was just goading the Jets into signing these black bums so he didn’t have to play with them anymore. Maybe he can say that he really wants Jordan Love to be his backup, and the Jets should trade a draft pick for him “as a sign of good faith,” lolol.