2024 NFL Preseason

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
ESPN just ran down their top 10 plays from the NFL preseason. Carson Steele’s run was number 7, complete with Ryan Clark’s commentary “that’s a classic fullback run.” Make sure to keep Whitey in his place, even though he’s never been a fullback in his life.

The same stuff has been going on for decades. In trying to be positive Steele has been the story of training camp and absolutely took control of his opportunity to prove he belongs. Really hope he makes the team and is used correctly in order to maximize his ability and talent.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Drake Maye's play and Brissett's injury might put him starting.

I watched some of that game and would much rather see Brissett behind that sumo o-line getting crushed. When Maye did play he looked really good outside those two fumbled exchanges with the center. Maye, Nix and McCarthy all showed well this preseason. Nix ends up with a competent head coach, McCarthy plays well before his injury so he will get a redshirt season which I think he needed. The Pats should wait with Maye until Brissett leads them out of play off contention by mid season so there is no pressure on him. Three young qbs to be excited about for sure!

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
The same stuff has been going on for decades. In trying to be positive Steele has been the story of training camp and absolutely took control of his opportunity to prove he belongs. Really hope he makes the team and is used correctly in order to maximize his ability and talent.
Steele is a lock to make the team, so that's not an issue. Used correctly is another thing entirely. Fortunately he's also got that WSTD thing down. In addition to kick coverage (natch) he's currently slated to be one of the kickoff returners in the new format alongside slippery-fingered Mecole Hardman. How he gets used in the backfield when Pacheco is out is going to be something to watch.

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
I watched some of that game and would much rather see Brissett behind that sumo o-line getting crushed. When Maye did play he looked really good outside those two fumbled exchanges with the center. Maye, Nix and McCarthy all showed well this preseason. Nix ends up with a competent head coach, McCarthy plays well before his injury so he will get a redshirt season which I think he needed. The Pats should wait with Maye until Brissett leads them out of play off contention by mid season so there is no pressure on him. Three young qbs to be excited about for sure!
My thoughts exactly. Wouldn't want Maye to become Mac Jones II getting his brains beat in 1.2 seconds after every snap.

Booth

Mentor
Leonardfan, FootballDad, I believe ya'll are exactly right in your thinking about Maye's health. The Pat's O-line is bad, really bad. Maye's better sitting a year and learning.

jacque

Guru
For Maye, I’m happy if Brissett starts the season, gets obliterated, and then Maye can start once the public acknowledges that the patriots suck. For the average person to give Maye a pass, they need proof that it’s the teams fault first, or else they’ll just blame Maye