2022 Defensive Backs

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
that was a thoughtful, and thought provoking, post, SneakyQuick. i’m confident that “not losing the locker room” is part of the issue with the ever-increasing drive to become 100% diverse. after all, “once you go black, you never go back” has more than one meaning.

that being said, how cool would it be if the nation’s top two highest-rated cornerbacks were both unicorn anomalies?! Moss and DeJean are playing lights out football at the moment. i would also venture to say that free safety Quinn Schulte has some impressive results on his grade, as well.

what other defensive backs from our tribe have been putting up strong showings?

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Colorado Safety Trevor Woods has 34 solo tackles - 3rd most in the country. The Buffaloes stink this year so I am sure the defense has been on the field quite a bit. Regardless for a DB to have 34 solo tackles prior to the halfway point of the season is impressive.

BUF-L-CUAZ905.jpg

wile

Master
You know the caste system is a funny thing. It’s probably not a top down conspiracy as much as it’s a wide variety of knuckleheaded coaches and gm’s taking the easy way out and placating the magical race without much thought.

Blacks are such a big part of rosters that to admit the obvious (that of course there are white athletes who can play corner and safety) would cause never ending headaches for coaches in the locker rooms.

Their issue is not just the over recruitment of black athletes, it’s the over recruitment of black athletes from the worst backgrounds possible. These people are essentially unmanageable. Boosters have so long bought into the myth of black athletic superiority that they help reinforce it.

My experience with football coaches is that they are a half step or so better than the average gym teacher.

So if we think about it in the context of cultural pressure coupled with weak kneed coaching I think a lot of it is down to that.

I don’t think the prima donnas in the pros are any better hence why guys like Borghi can’t make the cut.

Anyway it’s a shame.

Does that make sense to y’all?
Yes, I try and tell the conservative minded here that think their logic and reason is enough to penetrate the cultural conditioning but here we are. As I've said even if it were true and blacks had them "oily hips" and this was as proven as gravity teams still drop back in zone and that would still favor an athletic white man with a bit of discipline and brains. I would like to see myself one of those gym coach football gurus explain why he won't play white DBs and then have to defend his position to follow up questions.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
in unicorn news, Hudson Clark has been moved to a more caste-appropriate position for the Hogs next game. per the local news rag:

On Tuesday, Arkansas made a move that Sam Pittman has talked about possibly happening with Hudson Clark moving to first-team safety. Clark has played in all five games thus far with most of the time spent at cornerback. Clark has nine tackles, six solo, one for loss, four pass breakups, a fumble recovery and two forced fumbles.

Clark is clearly the most intelligent athlete in the Arkansas secondary (based on how few assignments he blows), and his nose for the ball makes this move seemingly make sense. however, he’s also by far the best cover guy on the roster, so who is actually going to cover anyone? based on their performance thus far, the defensive blacks most likely won’t be covering anybody ... as such, maybe he’ll pick off a few balls back there playing centerfield.

Red Raider

Mentor
On the bright side he will be a starter. But he’s 6’2” 180 which is an extremely weird size for a safety. He has played strictly corner his entire life. I don’t like this move at all.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
Hudson Clark, the unicorn defensive back for the Arkansas Razorbacks, was named the SEC Defensive Player of the Week on Monday and followed that up with a national honor: he was named the Jim Thorpe Defensive Back of the Week. this recognition comes after his 11-tackle, 2-turnover (1 interception and 1 fumble recovery) performance against BYU.

it is the second time the former walk-on (and oft-hated) has earned national recognition by winning the Jim Thorpe award. just imagine what he could do if he had a year-round tan (because then he’d actually be good, i guess)!!!

below i’ve linked a complimentary article followed by the university’s press release acknowledging the award.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
in other unicorn news, Iowa is expected to start 2 White cornerbacks (Moss and DeJean) when they face off against #2 Ohio State tomorrow. they will likely play 4 non-affletic defensive backs for most of the game, as well, with normal starter Quinn Schulte at free safety and Sebastian Castro (hispanic) starting at the cash position.

here’s the news article saying much the same:
IOWA CITY — Iowa cornerback Terry Roberts is “probably not” available for the Hawkeyes’ game Saturday against No. 2 Ohio State, head coach Kirk Ferentz said Tuesday.

Roberts sufferrf an injury to his lower leg during Iowa’s 9-6 loss to Illinois before the bye week, Ferentz said.

Barring a late recovery from Roberts, Cooper DeJean likely will start again at cornerback opposite of Riley Moss. DeJean has started three of Iowa’s six games at cornerback and the other three at Cash.

when is the last time a secondary started so few “real” affletes in a defensive backfield? i'm guessing way back when Colorado State was playing the Gallimore brothers at cornerback, before BYU went woke and actually allowed White Mormons to play, or when Air Force had their nearly-all-White starting lineup ...

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
as i shared in another post (here:
https://castefootball.us/threads/2022-college-football-week-8.39005/post-807190), Colorado State sophomore safety Jack Howell was named as a PFF first-team midseason all-American. joining him on the first-team defensive backfield is first-year starter, Iowa safety Quinn Schulte.

PFF said:
Safety: Quinn Schulte, Iowa Hawkeyes

Quinn Schulte has been a leader of Iowa’s elite defense. He’s allowed just a 38.4 passer rating when targeted this season. For context, throwing the ball at the ground every play would generate a 39.6 passer rating. Schulte’s five forced incompletions are also tied for the most among Power Five safeties.

Safety: Jack Howell, Colorado State Rams

Jack Howell comes from a very athletic family. His father, John, won a Super Bowl with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers as a safety. His older sister, Jaelin, won the Hermann Trophy both in 2020 and 2021 while at Florida State, which is given to the nation’s best women’s soccer player. She now plays for Team USA.

Jack can do it all on passing downs. His coverage grade (87.8) is the fifth-best in the country at safety, while his pass-rush grade (89.8) ranks fourth-best. In fact, he’s the only safety in the FBS with 80.0-plus grades in both facets.

sophomores Beau Freyler (Iowa State safety) and Cooper DeJean (Iowa cornerback) were named to their third team.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Came across of FCS DBs that are amongst the INT leaders at that level:

UC Davis DB Rex Connors

VgI3sVxv

Idaho DB Tommy McCormick

FcouC1aacAEAAtk

Indiana St DB Rylan Cole:

Fb13_GBWYBcogUe

Bucky

Hall of Famer
Excellent to see some of our FCS guys dominate at Safety!

Be interesting to see if Connors or McCormick transfer up a level next season(Jim Leonhard needs to get on that!) Idaho has been doing a better job of offering local talent. They should be a lot better in coming years.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
it would be hard to overstate how well Arkansas’ unicorn, Hudson Clark, played against Auburn this past Saturday.

he started the game at cornerback, but played all over the secondary. he routinely went man against either a running back, tight end, slot receiver, or wideout, without any help over the top, allowing the Razorback defensive blacks to keep their safeties deep to reduce their ineptitude.

at other times, Clark played deep middle in a 3-deep zone or played a spy closer to the line of scrimmage. at all times, he was calling signals, formations, etc. to his (dumber) fellow dbs.

he was only targeted twice in the game. once, Auburn threw a quick hitch behind the line of scrimmage to the receiver Clark had in man coverage. the result? Clark tackled him for a loss of 2 yards. the only time Clark was thrown at beyond the line of scrimmage, he was in deep zone coverage, and he broke up the play ALMOST picking it off.

he finished the day with 4 solo tackles, a tackle for loss, a pass breakup, and another uncredited tackle for loss (or perhaps it could’ve been ruled a sack?) when he forced the Auburn black quarterback to run out of bounds behind the line of scrimmage.

again, i will say that i don’t know how Hudson Clark projects to the next level, but he’s FAR AND AWAY the best defensive back on the Arkansas roster (and one of the best in the SEC.)

SneakyQuick

Mentor
I suspect if he runs fast he will get drafted and then forgotten. If he doesn’t run fast he won’t get drafted at all. Troy Apke anyone?

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Wisconsin Safety John Torchio is tied with several others for 2nd in the country with 5 INTs on the year. He has 2 Pick 6's as well.

Iowa DB Cooper DeJean currently has 4 INTs and 2 Pick 6's. He's on his way to becoming the best DB in the country.

Iowa CB Riley Moss secured his first INT of the year last week. He has 39 total tackles, 8 passes defensed and 2 FFs on the season. One of the supposed best CBs in the country PSU's Joey Porter Jr has 26 total tackles, 8 Passes defensed, 0 INTs (he has one career INT/Riley Moss has 11). They both play in the same conference. Porter is being touted as a high first round pick. Something does not add up.

Last edited:
I dont know if these guys are going to pan out but the U. of Washington has 2 athletic white corners on their team. Charlie Fuller and Jackson Berman are both freshmen and both run 10.7 and 10.8 100 meter dashes respectively. Just getting it out here until the game starts. USA that is.

jphoss

Mentor
I dont know if these guys are going to pan out but the U. of Washington has 2 athletic white corners on their team. Charlie Fuller and Jackson Berman are both freshmen and both run 10.7 and 10.8 100 meter dashes respectively. Just getting it out here until the game starts. USA that is.
That’s great news! Jimmy lake wasn’t a good hc but he was a great db coach and talent evaluator. If he recruited them they definitely have elite talent

TwentyTwo

Master
Couple Safeties showing out in the PAC 12 Championship! USC's Bryson Shaw #27(bloody bridge of nose) with Fumble recovery & big time pass break up perfectly timed (almost thought it was a PI)....and Utah's Cole Bishop #8 nice pass break up in the back of End Zone .

Both of these young dudes have a legit chance to become Starters in the NFL one day!

Last edited:
Weird one here again. As I have been following Minnesota football recently in hopes they move in a more white friendly skill position setting I noticed Ryan Staap this year was moved from first string to second string about 7 times in 8 games. Hes big as is Cooper DeJean but redashirt freshman Bryson Coleman is apparently talking about working at corner this spring though he was brought on as a safety. Hope it works out but we k now the deal here. I hope he googles himself and reads this. COuld be a motivating factor than the usual caste white cuck oh gosh athlete who will play wherever the coach wants him to and is happy just to be participating with the mighty black athlete.

Also I doubt its gonna happen but Arkansas safety , Dylan Hasz is being sought at corner as well. I did not see Hudson Clark this year but I trust the people that have posted about him and he should stick at corner. John Nestor will be the starting corner with DeJean at Iowa if he does not declare next year. I don't guarantee it but the talent is really there. That Rutger interception was a masterpiece.

Weird one here again. As I have been following Minnesota football recently in hopes they move in a more white friendly skill position setting I noticed Ryan Staap this year was moved from first string to second string about 7 times in 8 games. Hes big as is Cooper DeJean but redashirt freshman Bryson Coleman is apparently talking about working at corner this spring though he was brought on as a safety. Hope it works out but we k now the deal here. I hope he googles himself and reads this. COuld be a motivating factor than the usual caste white cuck oh gosh athlete who will play wherever the coach wants him to and is happy just to be participating with the mighty black athlete.
Coleman is still a safety but the pick six was nice. I hope he does move to corner

TwentyTwo

Master
NICE call on Minnesota Freshman but the name is backwards LOL #16 Coleman Bryson. 6'-2" 210...PICK SIX / Defensive MVP of the Pinstripe Bowl vs Syracuse!

Another P5 Freshman starting plays for UNC #31 Will Hardy 6'-2" 200 ...not sure exactly when in the season he landed starting role? Had 1 INT ; 1 FF ; 1 Fumble Recovery 1 Pass Deflection; 37 total Tackles...from the state of Georgia.

1673043577054.png

Last edited:
I'll try and post the article but Iowas Riley Cooper was ranked third in the country in passes not completed against. Meaning only 48 7 percent of the time he gave up a catch. This kids gonna be the next Sehorn. Hopefully Rikey Moss softens the blow for playing white corners when Coooer gets into the league

Here are a couple CB’s who have a chance to make an impact in 2022. We would’ve had one more but I believe former Rice CB Andrew Bird has graduated and moved on from football.

Ryan Stapp (JR) 6’0” 175lbs Minnesota
Stapp is a CB that transferred from FCS Abilene Christian. He actually has a solid shot to become a starter at Minnesota and I’d be ecstatic if he does. In 3 seasons he had 91 tackles, 6.5 TFL, 4 INT (1 TD), 2 FF, 1 FR, 16 PD, and 296 kick return yards.
View attachment 3521

Ethan Bonner (SR) 6’1” 192lbs Stanford
Bonner is a 5th year player but I believe he has 2 years of eligibility left because of covid if he wants to use it. His opportunities to be a starting CB are starting to dwindle so hopefully he can make it happen this year. He has 5 career starts with 4 coming in 2021. 30 tackles and 1 TFL in his career.
View attachment 3522
Ethan Bonner is return8ng to Stanford for a 6th season. He looks like Stanford has a starting redshirt frosh in Scotty Edward's. Kind of makes up for Stapps inexplicable move at Minesota.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Ethan Bonner is return8ng to Stanford for a 6th season. He looks like Stanford has a starting redshirt frosh in Scotty Edward's. Kind of makes up for Stapps inexplicable move at Minesota.
You sure? He participated in Stanford's pro day and isn't listed on the team site.