2022 Defensive Backs

TwentyTwo

Master
That time of the year again! 37 year old Eric Weddle came out of retirement in last years NFL Playoffs to Win a Super Bowl Ring for the L.A. Rams; only to retire again. All Pro Harrison Smith Age 33 cant play forever.

Last year's NFL Draft for white DB's was beyond disappointing with ZERO picked or even invited to the NFL Combine . Thought it looked more promising when making the 2021 DB Preview figured 2 maybe 3 ; even 4 (Blankenship; Turner ; Nelson & Weatherford) would be Drafted.

It is going to be extra interesting what transpires this coming season led by All America CORNER BACK Riley Moss!?....he missed time hurt last season with a knee injury. He’s one of the best playmakers in the country!
There are several young promising high impact DB's too!

Riley Moss (Sr.) 6 '- 1" 194 Iowa "Corner Back
Pre-Season All American candidate.... 2 INT's for TD's vs Indiana last year( 3 TD's in his career); 10 Career INT's; 25 pass deflections in 26 career starts! Held off the NFL another year. HS Champ High Hurdler
https://www.hawkcentral.com/videos/...ad-grave-im-not-bringing-money-me/9471768002/
137a6408.jpg

Dan Jackson (Jr.) 6'-1" 190 Georgia "Strong Safety"
Former "Walk-On" great caste story wears #47 like old school John Lynch
Played in all 15 games ; 4 starts as a Soph. for the National Champions; lead team in Tackling a few games; blocked a punt that led to TD;
jackson_dan_c_davis.jpg

Cole Bishop
(Soph.) 6'-2" 206 Utah "Strong Safety"
PAC -12 All-Conference Honorable Mention as a Freshman ; played in 10 games ; started last Six. Blocked FG vs Oregon. Led all Fr. with 54 tackles; 8 Tackles & Fumble Recovery in Rose Bowl
Fellow teammate DB Nate Ritchie would be on this list ; but serving last year of mission
usatsi_17440958.jpg

Hudson Clark ( Jr.) 6'-2" 178 Arkansas 'Corner Back"
Former " Walk-On" ; another great caste story...as a Redshirt Freshman got his first start when other players sat due to COVID...by his third game had 3 INT's vs. Ole Miss. SEC Defensive Player of the Week; Played some as a Soph. but not as much. Ready to claim a Starting spot once again.

10027309.jpg

Bryson Shaw (Jr.) 6'-0 195 USC (Ohio State Transfer)
Starter for Buckeyes; 3 on team in Tackles ; 1 INT ; 3 PD's & Fumble Recovery last year
Academic All-Big Ten
https://reignoftroy.com/posts/usc-f...starting-safety-blueblood-program-bryson-shaw
FRIRAPfWUAALHWu

Beau Freyler (Soph.) 6 '-2" 205 Iowa State "Middle Safety"
Honorable Mention All-Big 12 … emerged as one of the Big 12’s top rookie defensive backs
FFn10bjUcAMHmS3

Nick Andersen (Soph.) 5'-11" 194 Wake Forest
Another "Former Walk-ON" NOW Pre Season 2nd Team All ACC ; Finished historic rookie season tied 8th nationally w 4 INT's ; Honey Badger -like instincts
Andersen_Nick_VirginiaTech_2020_Dye_1.jpg

Jack Howell (Soph.) 5'-10" 200 Colorado State "Strong Safety"
PFF All American Freshman ; 64 tackles ; 4 TFL; 1 INT & 1 Forced Fumble
Dad played DB NFL/Bucs
Jack_Howell.jpg

Jacob Dingle
(Sr.) 5'-11" 195 Cincinnati
Valuable reserve in '21; projected Starter
SigningDay_Dingle.jpg

Justin Barron (Soph.) 6'-4" 215 Syracuse "Strong Safety"
Appeared in all-12 games, starting the last 9 games at Rover Back... Finished the year with 42 tackles; 3 PD's
Converted WR
23Barron1.jpg

Hunter Wohler (Soph.) 6'-2" 206 Wisconsin "Free Safety"
Projected Starter ; as Freshman had 16 tackles ; 2 TFL's ; 1 Sack & 1 PD
566f64cb-3d4c-4e05-8c4b-7911173d1f0d-MJS_uwgrid10_33.jpg_uwgrid10.jpg

John Torchio (Sr.) 6'-1" 210 Wisconsin "Strong Safety"
Another former "Walk -On" ....see a theme here?
Projected Starter had 30 tackles last season; 2 TFL's ; 2 INT's ; 2 PD's;
e83ca8b4-be10-4f6e-9cbd-4d0ef252f561-uwgrid14_27.jpg

Not sure of the picture limit on one thread...getting late. Feel free to add to the thread. Will be sure to post more DB's
Call it the Dirty Dozen for now.

Hope this post will not be deleted ...too much work

Attachments

• upload_2022-6-10_1-17-2.jpeg
    upload_2022-6-10_1-17-2.jpeg
    7 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Bucky

Hall of Famer
Well done! These are the best threads on CF in my opinion!

SneakyQuick

Mentor
80% of YT defensive backs are former walk ons apparently. Funny coincidence

Excellent post.

Red Raider

Mentor
Great list, that covers basically all of the high profile DB’s!

Tyler Venables (JR) 5’10” 200lbs Clemson
Venables is the son of new Oklahoma head coach Brent Venables. In his first 2 years Venables has 61 tackles, 4.5 TFL, 1 sack, 1 INT, 6 PD. Hopefully he can continue to expand his role in 2022.
upload_2022-6-13_1-4-36.jpeg

Grayson Cash (SR) 6’0” 200lbs UAB
Cash is entering his 6th season at UAB and is cemented as a starter at safety. In his career he has 85 tackles, 4 TFL, 6 INT, 1 TD, 2 FF, and 8 PD. He originally came to UAB as a CB.
upload_2022-6-13_1-8-32.jpeg

Nate Bauer (JR) 6’0” 200lbs Toledo
Bauer has become one of Toledo’s best defensive players. Bauer is a 5th year junior with 2 seasons of eligibility left. His career stats are 120 tackles, 10.5 TFL, 1.5 sacks, 3 INT, and 3 PD.
upload_2022-6-13_1-12-16.jpeg

Asa Turner (JR) 6’3” 200lbs Washington
Turner should be a full time starter in 2022 as a junior. So far in his career he has 68 tackles, 4 TFL, 4 INT, and 1 PD.
upload_2022-6-13_1-15-44.jpeg

Robby Hauck (SR) 5’10” 185lbs Montana
Hauck is an undersized tackling machine in the FCS. His dad is the Montana head coach. Career totals of 364 tackles, 16 TFL, 4 sacks, 1 INT, 5 FF, and 9 PD.
upload_2022-6-13_1-19-58.jpeg

Last edited:

TwentyTwo

Master
Appreciate that Leonardfan & Bucky (Celtic DB)..means a lot coming from you two. Where would CF be without y'alls consistency!

Thanks Sneaky Quick! Not sure what YT means ha ha....4 of those top 12 are former Walk-on's

Yes indeed Red Raider! Solid post as always! Was getting ready to add 4 more DB's and you got 3 of them(Cash; Bauer; Turner) ! lol Thanks for adding swiss-army-knife Tyler Venables. Hopefully he will become starter....and the FCS Montana Grizz too! Hauck comes from good bloodlines!

Ammon Hanneman (Soph.) 6'- 1" 200 BYU
Promising '21 season as a reserve; Projected Starter in '22
FRSHA1-XMAEJP15.jpg

Michael Tutsie (Sr.) 5'-11" 193 North Dakota State
Pre Season 1st Team AA....enters Sr. season with 10 career INT's
Michael_Tutsie_20211030_FB_INS.jpg

Last edited:

Red Raider

Mentor
Here are a couple CB’s who have a chance to make an impact in 2022. We would’ve had one more but I believe former Rice CB Andrew Bird has graduated and moved on from football.

Ryan Stapp (JR) 6’0” 175lbs Minnesota
Stapp is a CB that transferred from FCS Abilene Christian. He actually has a solid shot to become a starter at Minnesota and I’d be ecstatic if he does. In 3 seasons he had 91 tackles, 6.5 TFL, 4 INT (1 TD), 2 FF, 1 FR, 16 PD, and 296 kick return yards.
upload_2022-6-14_0-35-24.jpeg

Ethan Bonner (SR) 6’1” 192lbs Stanford
Bonner is a 5th year player but I believe he has 2 years of eligibility left because of covid if he wants to use it. His opportunities to be a starting CB are starting to dwindle so hopefully he can make it happen this year. He has 5 career starts with 4 coming in 2021. 30 tackles and 1 TFL in his career.
upload_2022-6-14_0-44-52.jpeg

white lightning

Hall of Famer
White cornerbacks are as rare as walking dinosaurs. Must be the New Jurassic Park Movie. Good luck to both of these guys. I love watching athletic guys that can fun and jump out of the gym or in this case football field.

I agree with alot of you that seeing the pics and sometimes videos of the guys we root for make it even better. It gets my hyped up! Thanks to all of you guys as you are the battery that makes the lights go on. Amazing job as
usual guys! There is so much talent on this board.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer

wile

Master
The spindly armed goofs on that thread going on and on about "sports ball" as if they are going to save Whites by debating a bunch of cucked out Boomers is pretty much a failed tactic, neither group would even try and ask the caste whores a difficult question, much less try and degrade the caste whores in any meaningful way.

Edit; that was an excellent comment

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
for the majority of their season opener, Iowa fielded three White defensive backs: cornerback Riley Cooper, cornerback/safety/athlete Cooper DeJean, and first-year starter at free safety Quinn Schulte. all had strong outings.

Cooper had 3 solo tackles (4 total) and forced a fumble. DeJean had 2 solo (4 total) tackles and showed his versatility by covering all over the field. Schulte might be college football’s new BIG hitter, as he had a couple of bone-jarring hits and broke up 4 passes in the game.

Hudson Clark, the first starting White cornerback in the SEC in a looooooong time, had a strong game for the Arkansas Razorbacks in their opener. while overall their secondary didn’t look very good, he appeared to be the one guy who could actually cover someone. he also pitched in a couple of solo tackles (3 total), broke up a pass, and forced a fumble.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
as a follow up to my above post, the negro announcer for the broadcast, Rod Gilmore(on), kept insisting that the Cincy offense should “attack” and “go after” their “favorable matchup” with Clark ... i lost track of how many times he said that. “strangely” Clark was the only defensive back who looked competent for the Hogs. he gave up three short completions in the game, two were underneath throws when he dropped back into zone coverage and one was a 4-yard crossing route where the receiver went in pre-snap motion and Clark got caught up in traffic trying to shift with him.

Clark looks solid, though he does have some areas he needs to keep improving in. here’s hoping he has a strong year!

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
Cooper DeJean continued his impressive play for Iowa, spending a lot of time at cornerback and covering the slot receiver. in addition to his cover skills, he’s showing a strong willingness to be physical against the run. he finished the game against Iowa State with 2 pass deflections, an interception in the end zone, and a team-high 11 total tackles. he might be the next GREAT Iowa db.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
Arkansas’ Hudson Clark was once again the bright spot in an otherwise very dismal Razorbacks secondary. Clark’s solid play rarely saw him challenged, and he finished the game with a quiet 2 solo tackles (3 total), a fumble recovery, and another pass break up.

my guess is, if the season continues as it’s looking for the Hogs, he won’t put up very big numbers because of how poor his teammates are in coverage. they blow so many assignments and get badly beaten so often that opposing passers will rarely need to throw at him. we’ll see if i’m right as the year unfolds ...

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
does anyone have inside info on the NDSU Bison program? cornerback/punt returner Jayden Price appears to have lost his starting job in the secondary (based on the Arizona game), though he still played a lot and played well. he’s a smooth athlete and explosive in the return game (where he was an FCS all-American as a punt returner last year), so i hope he emerges as a playmaker at corner, as well. i recall being impressed with him a season ago, and (obviously)) White corners are hard to find.

Last edited:

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
my working hypothesis for Arkansas’ Hudson Clark is holding true, thus far.

in the surprisingly competitive game against Missouri State, Clark was once again a man putting guys on a deserted, lonely island (his nickname in high school was Clark Island, if memory serves). he simply, quietly, and effectively took away his half of the field in the passing game. he was only tested once that i saw, and he broke that pass up. he finished the game with that lone pass breakup recorded in the box score, but as i believe usually holds true: the fewer stats a corner has, generally the better the job he is doing.

is he on track to be named all-SEC? based on his performance thus far, he is certainly making a good case for it ...

Last edited:

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
speaking of White corners getting lonely, it’s lonely at the top. preseason all-American cornerback Riley Moss has certainly looked the part in the season’s early going. in another dominant showing by Iowa’s defense, Moss was hardly tested, but when he was he passed with flying colors. his stats were unimpressive (1 solo tackle and 1 pass breakup), which as I’ve repeatedly stated is usually a good thing for cover guys. he’s playing at a VERY high level.

also playing exceptionally well are backfield mates Cooper DeJean and Connor Schulte. DeJean broke up 2 passes, snagged his second interception of the season (and almost his third), and had 2 solo tackles. Schulte continues to provide a physical presence in the Hawkeyes secondary, finishing this game with 4 solo tackles (6 total).

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
does anyone have inside info on the NDSU Bison program? cornerback/punt returner Jayden Price appears to have lost his starting job in the secondary (based on the Arizona game), though he still played a lot and played well. he’s a smooth athlete and explosive in the return game (where he was an FCS all-American as a punt returner last year), so i hope he emerges as a playmaker at corner, as well. i recall being impressed with him a season ago, and (obviously)) White corners are hard to find.

Not sure about Price. Hopefully he has a strong season!

Thanks for the updates @Jimmy Chitwood - especially on Clark!

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
from a preview of players to watch in this weekend's matchup between Arkansas and Texas A&M:

yahoo sports said:
Arkansas CB, Hudson Clark

It’s easy to forget that Hudson Clark is on this defense, and it’s because not much action is going his way, but the secondary needs a big play to give it life.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
and here’s a complimentary story on our Iowa Whitehawks in the secondary:

Riley Donald said:

Iowa Hawkeyes own 3rd-highest graded secondary in the country per Pro Football Focus​

Through three games, the Iowa Hawkeyes defense is allowing just 133 passing yards per game, good enough for ninth in the nation. They are allowing just 6.8 yards per completion, third in the country. And they have also hauled in three interceptions (four counting Terry Roberts’ pick-six called back for a penalty).

These numbers are spectacular coming from a group that lost some talent to the NFL last year. Not only have the Hawkeyes replenished the talent, they have not skipped a beat either. That is why they find themselves as the third-highest graded secondary in the country at this junction of the season per Pro Football Focus.

According to PFF, Georgia has the nation’s No. 1 secondary with a grade of 91.4, Michigan has the No. 2 secondary with a grade of 91.2 and Iowa has the No. 3 secondary with a grade of 91.0.

A group that returned preseason All-American Riley Moss might be having his name as the least talked about one of the bunch. That is likely due to his coverage making it impossible to throw against and teams deciding to attack other areas.

Those other areas haven’t shown a crack in the armor. Performances from Quinn Schulte, Cooper DeJean, Terry Roberts, and Kaevon Merriweather have all stood out at different times this far.

Each of them has been involved in turnovers, pass breakups, and none are afraid to get in the mix on a tackle. The group started out the season inexperienced but is rapidly molding themselves into another strength of an already stellar Iowa Hawkeyes defense.

As a team, Iowa was able to post a shutout against Nevada last week.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
there’s plenty of evidence that Iowa’s blue collar gym rats in the secondary are even better than we think ...

entering the season, Riley Moss was the highest rated cornerback of the past two seasons. i don’t know what his grade is for this season so far, but i’d seriously doubt it’s any lower.

and speaking of top grades, his fellow unicorn (aka White cornerback), Cooper DeJean, is officially THE highest graded corner on the season. through 4 weeks, the sophomore has a grade of 90.6, has allowed 0 touchdowns, has 5 pass breakups, and has 3 interceptions in addition to his 24 tackles.

these two standouts for the Whitehawks are perhaps the only starting White cornerbacks in all of Division I football. that should beg the question (by any supposedly honest sports reporter): “Where are all the other White corners?”

Bucky

Hall of Famer
these two standouts for the Whitehawks are perhaps the only starting White cornerbacks in all of Division I football. that should beg the question (by any supposedly honest sports reporter): “Where are all the other White corners?”

That would be too damn obvious! I think MSM likes to play the mental gymnastics game, of playing retard and never admit/notice Anti White behavior in CFB!

Big Week for our guy's against Michigan!

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
despite being jerked around and spending much of the game (a lopsided loss) against Alabama on the sideline, Arkansas cornerback Hudson Clark did play well in limited minutes. he had a tackle for loss and forced a fumble. once again, the Razorbacks otherwise-all-black secondary got torched, but he’s the one sitting. it makes no (barring the very real caste system) sense.

SneakyQuick

Mentor
You know the caste system is a funny thing. It’s probably not a top down conspiracy as much as it’s a wide variety of knuckleheaded coaches and gm’s taking the easy way out and placating the magical race without much thought.

Blacks are such a big part of rosters that to admit the obvious (that of course there are white athletes who can play corner and safety) would cause never ending headaches for coaches in the locker rooms.

Their issue is not just the over recruitment of black athletes, it’s the over recruitment of black athletes from the worst backgrounds possible. These people are essentially unmanageable. Boosters have so long bought into the myth of black athletic superiority that they help reinforce it.

My experience with football coaches is that they are a half step or so better than the average gym teacher.

So if we think about it in the context of cultural pressure coupled with weak kneed coaching I think a lot of it is down to that.

I don’t think the prima donnas in the pros are any better hence why guys like Borghi can’t make the cut.

Anyway it’s a shame.

Does that make sense to y’all?