2022-'23 NBA Season

Warhawk_46

Master
I’m not sure I like this trade. Both Kyrie and Luka are ball-dominant guards. I can see some serious clashing between the two. It may work for the next 30 games, but it could end up disastrous.

What the Mavs really needed as another defender who has ability to spot up and sink shots. A better point guard-type who could energize and control the game when Luka needs a breather.

Math1990

Guru
Just from an on the court fit perspective, does this trade actually make sense? Are these guys not both ball dominant PGs? I know the NBA has been moving positionless for a while now, but I don't know how well either of these guys are playing off-ball. It just doesn't make sense to me. Feels like the Mavs felt like they had to do something, so they pulled the trigger on this trade because it adds talent to the team on paper. Definitely comes off as a move from Cuban who, like Jerry Jones, tends to manage his team like a fan would.
I think that's because it was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity probably the mavs was already thinking of a great player to help doncic, Kyrie is a top 20, and with Doncic it's just missing someone to share the responsibility (Honestly, I'm already thinking about the Mavs title this season) And it was difficult to find someone available for an trade to help doncic And bam kyrie asked for a trade.

The trade itself was very cheap, most likely due to the extra field of kyrie (the whole vaccine and antisemitism controversy), Not to mention that with the departure of Finney and dimwiddie It will open more space for bertans and maxi kleber.

I understand that some think That Kyrie can mess up doncic's numbers I don't think so, but I think we'll see What is going to happen when the two are together on the court.

icsept

Master
I like it. Kyrie is a sidekick. He worked well with Lebron, who is similar to Luka. Plus, I’m sure they’ll stagger their minutes somewhat.

Bucky

Hall of Famer
Mark Cuban brings in Kyrie, lol classic.

I think this trade works out for Dallas though!l

El Gringo

Mentor
I wish they would have signed Sabonis before the kings did or trade for Strus etc but Kyrie just may work out. For most of his career he has been a excellent complimentary player. Here’s a pro Kyrie to Dallas article that made sense.

.Irving can run the point but at heart he's more of a shooting guard in a point guard's body that has an amazing handle. Irving has averaged 25.9 PPG and 2.8 3PG on 48.5 FG% and 40.0 3P% over the past seven seasons, playing off elite ball-dominant/do-everything scorers ranging from LeBron James to Kevin Durant to James Harden to Jayson Tatum and Jaylen Brown.

He's also averaged 5.9 APG with a 2.4 assist-to-turnover ratio during that span, showing he can create when called upon but doesn't require the ball every possession to be effective.

Phall

Master
I was surprised to read this tidbit today in NBA coverage:

Only one Laker guard has graded out as a positive defender this season according to FiveThirtyEight's RAPTOR metric: Austin Reaves, who has added a fair bit of muscle since last season, but can still get outmuscled by bigger matchups and blindsided by hard screens. Patrick Beverley has lost a meaningful amount of foot-speed and fouls too often. Dennis Schroder's full-court pressure is more of an annoyance than a deterrent to elite guards. Westbrook and Lonnie Walker have been defensive negatives by any measure. All of them are below 6-foot-4.

The 6'5 Reaves was a high-usage scoring dynamo during his senior year at Oklahoma. Despite this writer's subjective criticism as a caveat for objective performance, Reaves' defense is highlighted ahead of all the black bums in the Laker front court.

'Poor defense' is the main stereotype held against white guards by the scouts who let Reaves go undrafted two years ago. Meanwhile, Alex Caruso currently grades as the best defensive guard in the league. TJ McConnell is 1.5 seasons removed from barely missing the outright steals per game title... as a seventh man. Much like NFL defenders, if you see a white guy getting playing time, most likely he is better than just average (or else he wouldn't get the opportunity).

white lightning

Hall of Famer
The Dallas Mavs face the Utah Jazz tonight. Not sure if Luka Doncic or Kyrie Irving is going to play tonight. Doncic has something going
on with his heels that's causing alot of pain so they have been treating it and resting him. Probably a game time decision. I hope Kleber comes back soon. Injuries have really hurt Dallas this year along with a lack of depth hence the trade.

With Utah they are always fun to watch with 3 whites in the starting 5. Lauri Markannen will be playing in the NBA All Star Game. I'm very
happy about that. The Jazz just might be my favorite team to watch in the NBA. If they could add McClung it would be even better. For
those that haven't had a chance to see Walker Kessler play yet, I highly advice you to see his immense talent.

Now it's official. Both Doncic and Irving will sit tonight.

Last edited:

Phall

Master
Nice video here of Moritz Wagner's highlights with the Magic: https://streamable.com/hbpgkf

1232675440.jpg

Mo is on his fourth NBA team after being drafted by the Lakers at #25 in 2018. His younger brother Franz is closer to a "star" player. After being waived outright by the Celtics after 9 games, Mo signed with the Magic in 2020. It has probably been serendipitous for his career that his brother was drafted by his team the following season, as the Magic happily resigned him afterwards to keep the brothers together. Mo hasn't disappointed in an increasing role - he had a season high 27 points last week.

Unfortunately, Franz and Moritz are the only two white players on Orlando.

booth

Mentor
It looks like Kevin Love's career is coming to a close. Injuries kept Love from being a HOF player.

Last edited by a moderator:

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Nice video here of Moritz Wagner's highlights with the Magic: https://streamable.com/hbpgkf

1232675440.jpg

Mo is on his fourth NBA team after being drafted by the Lakers at #25 in 2018. His younger brother Franz is closer to a "star" player. After being waived outright by the Celtics after 9 games, Mo signed with the Magic in 2020. It has probably been serendipitous for his career that his brother was drafted by his team the following season, as the Magic happily resigned him afterwards to keep the brothers together. Mo hasn't disappointed in an increasing role - he had a season high 27 points last week.

Unfortunately, Franz and Moritz are the only two white players on Orlando.
The kid is amazing with his foot work, coordination, agility and balance. Then he can jump out of the gym as well. Great video. Just imagine
how fun it would be if the Wagner Brothers both played with Doncic? That would be must see tv. What a dynamic duo they are!

icsept

Master
It looks like Kevin Love's career is coming to a close. Injuries kept Love from being a HOF player.
At least he’s being replaced by Dean Wade. The Cavs should still have Rubio, Wade, and Osman in their rotation.

Phall

Master
Another big trade as the Lakers dump off Russell Westbrook. The Jazz and the Timberwolves are the other two teams involved.

Austin Reaves, Matt Ryan, and Luka Garza are plucky reserves on LA and Minnesota, but they are the only whites (iirc) on those teams. The only interest here at CF is for the Jazz. Utah gives up veteran point guard Mike Conley Jr. to take on Westbrook's massive contract. They also send role players Malik Beasley and Jarred Vanderbilt to the Lakers. In return, they get the Lakers 2027 first round pick, which should have massive value if the clock ticks as expected on LeBron's career.

Westbrook is a limited player, but without Conley, the Jazz certainly have the minutes available at point guard to keep him content as he tries to rehabilitate his reputation through performance. Amazingly, none of Utah's three white starters (Markkanen, Kessler, and Olynyk) will be affected much. In getting rid of a couple younger black prospects, this also clears up rotation minutes for the Jazz to promote Italian SF Simone Fontecchio, who acquitted himself quite well during this summer's Euro championships before jumping to the NBA as a 27 yr old rookie. In other words, this trade could end his racial apprenticeship way ahead of schedule. When Westbrook comes off the books, there will be a huge chunk of cap space to chase better players.

If there is a downside, this trade lowers the ceiling on Utah's season this year. They are still in the hunt for a playoff spot, but there's a big glut of teams in the Western Conference with a similar record. It was unlikely that they would win a playoff series this season. Overall, Markkanen remains the team star, Kessler continues to grow quickly as a starter, and the Jazz rotation gets a bit whiter. Sounds like a fine deal to me!

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Another big trade as the Lakers dump off Russell Westbrook. The Jazz and the Timberwolves are the other two teams involved.

Austin Reaves, Matt Ryan, and Luka Garza are plucky reserves on LA and Minnesota, but they are the only whites (iirc) on those teams. The only interest here at CF is for the Jazz. Utah gives up veteran point guard Mike Conley Jr. to take on Westbrook's massive contract. They also send role players Malik Beasley and Jarred Vanderbilt to the Lakers. In return, they get the Lakers 2027 first round pick, which should have massive value if the clock ticks as expected on LeBron's career.

Westbrook is a limited player, but without Conley, the Jazz certainly have the minutes available at point guard to keep him content as he tries to rehabilitate his reputation through performance. Amazingly, none of Utah's three white starters (Markkanen, Kessler, and Olynyk) will be affected much. In getting rid of a couple younger black prospects, this also clears up rotation minutes for the Jazz to promote Italian SF Simone Fontecchio, who acquitted himself quite well during this summer's Euro championships before jumping to the NBA as a 27 yr old rookie. In other words, this trade could end his racial apprenticeship way ahead of schedule. When Westbrook comes off the books, there will be a huge chunk of cap space to chase better players.

If there is a downside, this trade lowers the ceiling on Utah's season this year. They are still in the hunt for a playoff spot, but there's a big glut of teams in the Western Conference with a similar record. It was unlikely that they would win a playoff series this season. Overall, Markkanen remains the team star, Kessler continues to grow quickly as a starter, and the Jazz rotation gets a bit whiter. Sounds like a fine deal to me!

Yes I agree with everything you said. I've been waiting to see Fontecchio get some playing time instead of getting splinters in his ass from
sitting on the bench month after month. With his age, maturity and high basketball iq he just may be a nice fit.

Westbrook reminds me of Kyle Lowry in that he is past his prime at 34 years of age. Maybe this will open up the chances of the Jazz going
after Mac McClung to be the future point guard. He could learn from Westbrook and then take over as the starter in a year or two. Yes they
would have to sign him first but I do think there is a slight chance. McClung would be perfect for Utah and also bring them much needed
energy and athletecism from the guard position. Keeping my fingers crossed they make this happen before or after the All Star Weekend.

Phall

Master
Yes I agree with everything you said. I've been waiting to see Fontecchio get some playing time instead of getting splinters in his ass from
sitting on the bench month after month. With his age, maturity and high basketball iq he just may be a nice fit.

Westbrook reminds me of Kyle Lowry in that he is past his prime at 34 years of age. Maybe this will open up the chances of the Jazz going
after Mac McClung to be the future point guard. He could learn from Westbrook and then take over as the starter in a year or two. Yes they
would have to sign him first but I do think there is a slight chance. McClung would be perfect for Utah and also bring them much needed
energy and athletecism from the guard position. Keeping my fingers crossed they make this happen before or after the All Star Weekend.
Just like that, Fontecchio logs a season high 23 minutes tonight (he was cold though). Argentinian shooting guard Leandro Bolmaro even played a few minutes of mop-up duty.

For Minnesota, Luka Garza notched 25 points in just 23 minutes, continuing to make the Detroit Pistons look like jackasses for waiving him.

Bucky

Hall of Famer
Just like that, Fontecchio logs a season high 23 minutes tonight (he was cold though). Argentinian shooting guard Leandro Bolmaro even played a few minutes of mop-up duty.

For Minnesota, Luka Garza notched 25 points in just 23 minutes, continuing to make the Detroit Pistons look like jackasses for waiving him.
I’ve noticed Garza has come on strong since getting the minutes he deserves! Gee, who would have thunk it?! Us at CF have been beating the Garza war drum for years!

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Luke Garza has been a great story. It's just like with Wieskamp and McClung. All these guys need is a chance but most teams can't
look past their white skin disease. Happy for Garza and hoping these others two guys get a chance soon.

Luke Kennard of the Clippers was traded to the Memphis Grizzlies. Will they let him play? When Kennard played for the Clippers he was
very good yet they didn't seem to want him for some reason. I wonder why? Maybe the Grizzlies can be color blind and actually play the
very talented Kennard but I won't hold my breath.

With Kevin Durant being traded to the Suns maybe Joe Harris can become a star for the Nets. He was a good player until all the so
called superstars got there and he was ignorred. Amazing he still averages 8 points with very few shot attempts. With Irving and Durant
now traded away, maybe Harris can be looked at to score again.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
With about 26 games left in the 2022/2023 NBA Regular Season, another strong argument could be make for Nikola Jokic to
win his 3rd Straight NBA MVP Award. Why do you ask? He is averaging a triple double for the season. Only 2 nba players have
ever acheived this feat for a whole season. Oscar Robertson and Russell Westbrook.

Nikola Jokic as of today is averaging 25 points, 11 rebounds and 10 assists per game. Both Jokic and Doncic have come very close
but hopefully this will be the year that Jokic joins this tiny club to become only the 3rd NBA Player to do this. Westbrook won the
NBA MVP when he did it around 4 years ago so it's possible that Jokic could also win the NBA MVP Award again.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
The Best Team to watch in the NBA is the Utah Jazz. They won again tonight with their 3 white starters and playing another white
guy off the bench. That's 4 of 11 and if they play Bolmaro it will be 5 of 11 guys listed on tonights box score.

Walker Kessler 23 points, 9 rebounds and 1 assist
Lauri Markannen 23 points, 9 rebounds, 5 assists and 1 steal
Kelly Olynyk 15 points, 7 rebounds, 8 assists, 1 steal and 1 block

Simone Fontechio 7 points, 2 rebounds, 2 assists and 1 steal

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Some of the NBA G League Hilights of the Most Exciting Player in the League Mac McClung!

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
most of the G League attention (rightfully, in my opinion) goes to Mac McClung ... however, there’s another interesting player that you might want to be aware of. Eric Demers is a 6-foot-1 scoring machine out of Division III Gordon College where he led the NCAAs in scoring at over 33 points per game. he currently plays for the Maine Celtics.

a self-described late bloomer, Demers is yet another example of a White athlete who wasn’t physically mature at a young age, wasn’t recruited by virtually anyone, blossomed late, but STILL somehow doesn’t have “dat upside.”

“weird,” huh?

white lightning

Hall of Famer
It's only been 1 game with Doncic and Irving playing at the same time. Not liking it so far. Irving took more shots than Doncic. Also
in the 4th quarter and in overtime Luka only scored 2 points. Kyrie kept launching shots and now other young guys are taking alot more. For the team it's good to have more people involved but with only about 25 games to go it will probably take the scoring title
away from Doncic. How ironic if that happens. He led the league 95 percent of the season and now he won't get to shoot enough possibly
to lead the NBA in Scoring. Don't tell me this wasn't exactly what the league wants. Even if they win a title Doncic won't get near the credit. To be honest I would have rather had him lead the league in scoring even if it meant no championship this year. Doncic is 23 and has plenty of
time for rings. I want him to win the scoring title. Hope I'm wrong but it reminds me of Cooper Kupp who came withing a whisper of the
greatest receiving season of all time. Finishing 2nd doesn't get remembered. I'm glad the Mavs lost tonight.

BeyondFedUp

Hall of Famer
It's only been 1 game with Doncic and Irving playing at the same time. Not liking it so far. Irving took more shots than Doncic. Also
in the 4th quarter and in overtime Luka only scored 2 points. Kyrie kept launching shots and now other young guys are taking alot more. For the team it's good to have more people involved but with only about 25 games to go it will probably take the scoring title
away from Doncic. How ironic if that happens. He led the league 95 percent of the season and now he won't get to shoot enough possibly
to lead the NBA in Scoring. Don't tell me this wasn't exactly what the league wants. Even if they win a title Doncic won't get near the credit. To be honest I would have rather had him lead the league in scoring even if it meant no championship this year. Doncic is 23 and has plenty of
time for rings. I want him to win the scoring title. Hope I'm wrong but it reminds me of Cooper Kupp who came withing a whisper of the
greatest receiving season of all time. Finishing 2nd doesn't get remembered. I'm glad the Mavs lost tonight.
Who can remember the last time Luka only scored 2 points in the 4th and OT... like never? This is not a good sign.

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
Right WL. It's Doncic's first game back from a mild injury. He missed about a week. He'll score more than 27 points next game.
What about the King's Sabonis, 22/14/2 and Huerter 15/8/5. The win for a team with two white starters.

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
The Best Team to watch in the NBA is the Utah Jazz. They won again tonight with their 3 white starters and playing another white
guy off the bench. That's 4 of 11 and if they play Bolmaro it will be 5 of 11 guys listed on tonights box score.

Walker Kessler 23 points, 9 rebounds and 1 assist
Lauri Markannen 23 points, 9 rebounds, 5 assists and 1 steal
Kelly Olynyk 15 points, 7 rebounds, 8 assists, 1 steal and 1 block

Simone Fontechio 7 points, 2 rebounds, 2 assists and 1 steal
Zach Collins siting Friday night. He had 29 points for the Spurs.
Last night:
Jokic: 30/16/10, Braun 11 points
Markkanen: 29
Hero 23
Kessler 15 REBS
Hayward: 21
Porzingis 17/10/5
Kispert 13
Harris 18
Wagner 14
Vucevic 14/14