2018 Masters

M

Matt Prater

I have never liked golf or even less, Tiger Woods but maybe the media salivates over this failing/aging x/superstar because at one time he really was golf's best player for a long time. Yes him being partially black is part of it but from a racial point of view he was an anomaly. Now if the media would just go crazy over the next Jason Sehorn. That is going to happen. :(

CrazyFinn

Mentor
What a shot (eagle) by Rory at the 8th, and he's now co-leader at -9!

Great golf being played right now, the messiah is already done, and Jim Nantz is the best. A great weekend of golf all the way thru Sunday awaits, couldn't have asked for a better outcome at the '18 Masters.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Wow, what a third round. Patrick Reed shoots 67, including eagles on 13 and 15, while McIlroy, Fowler and Rahm all shoot sizzling 65s. A three shot lead for Patrick, who will be paired with Rory tomorrow. If Patrick holds up under the pressure, especially with Rory playing so well and determined to complete the career grand slam, he'll richly deserve his green jacket.

BeyondFedUp

Hall of Famer
A monster of a round today. Reed with phenomenal razor-thin drops going in and his clutch eagles. And great play by several others. A record day of eight eagles! Reed could finish with another record never before done if he shoots in the 60's for a fourth straight day. It's never been done at the Masters all four days. What a day of talent and amazing shots. Even a couple good shots by you-know-who. Reed is seemingly calm, but Rory is outwardly emotional and confident, big time.

This is one of the last great sports of intrigue and passion and still a gentleman's sport. Only Wimbledon is in it's league. Truly a great privilege to see these pros at their best.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
I was just checking the comments after that lead story on ESPN, and 95% of the comments are negative toward ESPN and its coverage of Woods. Some are funny, about ESPN now wanting to give Tiger a participation trophy after earlier predicting his victory.

Where is Tiger's army of supporters defending his honor? Could it be there are far fewer than the media claims there are? I'm glad so many people "get" that ESPN's coverage is way over the top, but how many think a little deeper and understand why it's way over the top.

There is accomplishment in Tiger Woods' struggles at Augusta

http://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id...-tournament-is-playing-healthy-accomplishment

I saw that on BSPN too earlier today. Couldn't help but laugh.

Thrashen

Hall of Famer
Even when a white golfer (Patrick Reed) dominates the field at the Masters, it’s only because he was inspired to do so by the infinite magic of Tiger’s long-gone era of greatness. What a sickening, nauseating, pathetic way to infuse Woods into every single conversation related to pro golf...

http://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id...y-mcilroy-final-round-2018-masters-tournament

“But in the end, golfers are judged on their individual successes and failures. Sunday afternoon at Augusta National, fair or unfair, we will find out if Patrick Reed is a true Tiger. Or if he just plays one on TV.”

In real life, the “true Tiger” hasn’t won a major championship in 10 years, cheated on his wife with dozens of whores, lost his kids, lost half his fortune, lost his corporate sponsors, lost his “edge,” got arrested for DUI, has suffered an endless array of crippling injures, and is currently eighteen (18) shots back of Reed in a tournament that he was favored to win.

ESPN’s Ian O’ Conner is yet another far left Irishman. The Irish continue to prove that they are, sadly, the most liberal white ethnic group (not counting Jews as white) in the U.S.

Last edited:

CrazyFinn

Mentor
Even when a white golfer (Patrick Reed) dominates the field at the Masters, it’s only because he was inspired to do so by the infinite magic of Tiger’s long-gone era of greatness. What a sickening, nauseating, pathetic way to infuse Woods into every single conversation related to pro golf...

http://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id...y-mcilroy-final-round-2018-masters-tournament

“But in the end, golfers are judged on their individual successes and failures. Sunday afternoon at Augusta National, fair or unfair, we will find out if Patrick Reed is a true Tiger. Or if he just plays one on TV.”

In real life, the “true Tiger” hasn’t won a major championship in 10 years, cheated on his wife with dozens of whores, lost his kids, lost half his fortune, lost his corporate sponsors, lost his “edge,” got arrested for DUI, has suffered an endless array of crippling injures, and is currently eighteen (18) shots back of Reed in a tournament that he was favored to win.

ESPN’s Ian O’ Conner is yet another far left Irishman. The Irish continue to prove that they are, sadly, the most liberal white ethnic group (not counting Jews as white) in the U.S.

This fool O'Connor had a column on Thursday after day 1 when Woods was pretty much out of contention, and he told us we would be "fools to count Tiger out after Thursday's round."

After his hero barely made the cut and is a complete non-factor after they hyped him up as the favorite, he's now trying to continue his Tiger fantasies thru Patrick Reed. Normally I would get upset at this garbage, but BSPN's pro-Tiger coverage has reached such absurd levels that it's utterly pathetic and laughable. A commenter in one of these articles drew a comparison to the satire site Onion, and it's spot on.

I'm afraid Woods will go the way of Arnie and Jack (after their best days were over), as long as he keeps playing. He'll get lots of attention and adoration by the media and fans. The difference is that the likes of BSPN and others in the sports media will continue to live in fantasyland thinking he's the same golfer from 18 years ago.

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
This fool O'Connor had a column on Thursday after day 1 when Woods was pretty much out of contention, and he told us we would be "fools to count Tiger out after Thursday's round."

After his hero barely made the cut and is a complete non-factor after they hyped him up as the favorite, he's now trying to continue his Tiger fantasies thru Patrick Reed. Normally I would get upset at this garbage, but BSPN's pro-Tiger coverage has reached such absurd levels that it's utterly pathetic and laughable. A commenter in one of these articles drew a comparison to the satire site Onion, and it's spot on.

I'm afraid Woods will go the way of Arnie and Jack (after their best days were over), as long as he keeps playing. He'll get lots of attention and adoration by the media and fans. The difference is that the likes of BSPN and others in the sports media will continue to live in fantasyland thinking he's the same golfer from 18 years ago.

I'm afraid you're correct, but Woods will never be the man Jones, Hogan, Palmer, Nicklaus were! No matter how much the media idolizes him and wish for a comeback, he will never get the respect those men have to the real golf historian!
Woods has never carried himself with class as those gentlemen did and he'll never take Nicklaus/Palmers' place as ambassadors for the sport, period.

It is truly disappointing the way they long for a Woods comeback. I can vaguely remember when Nicklaus won 2 Majors in 1980 at 40 years old, he went through that 6 year drought before he won his 6th green jacket and 18th Major at 46 years old! I don't remember the media falling apart in worry and clinging to Nicklaus the way they do Woods. They had totally written him off and didn't seem to care. They had moved on with Seve, Norman, etc. However, it was remarkable what Nicklaus had done at his age. Today, they use words like Superhuman for Tiger. Woods couldn't hold Jack's jock if he had to go back and play with equipment he had and the competition he played against. Jack was driving it 300+ yards with persimmon woods with a sweet spot the size of a dime and competing with players like Palmer, Watson, Trevino, Player, and Floyd, etc. If anyone was superhuman it was Jack! Brandel Chamblee made the statement that Woods had no competition from '05-'08. I think Woods won 6 of his Majors in that span.

Sadly, we're going to have to endure this with every tournament Woods enters unless he misses the cut. I will say this about Woods. I was surprised the other day at his press conference when they asked about his comeback. He invoked the great Ben Hogan's name! Saying, Hogan's comeback was the greatest of all time." Hogan who nearly died in a car crash in 1949 only to comeback and win the US Open in 1950! I would say Hogan may have been the greatest golfer of all time. IMO it's between He and Nicklaus.

Anyway, looking forward to great finish to The Masters!
Can Reed win his first Major? Will Rory get the career slam? How about a 42 year old not named Tiger, named Stenson slip on the Green Jacket. or maybe Rickie Fowler gets his first Major or the 23 year old Rahm!

I'm afraid you're correct, but Woods will never be the man Jones, Hogan, Palmer, Nicklaus were! No matter how much the media idolizes him and wish for a comeback, he will never get the respect those men have to the real golf historian!
Woods has never carried himself with class as those gentlemen did and he'll never take Nicklaus/Palmers' place as ambassadors for the sport, period.

It is truly disappointing the way they long for a Woods comeback. I can vaguely remember when Nicklaus won 2 Majors in 1980 at 40 years old, he went through that 6 year drought before he won his 6th green jacket and 18th Major at 46 years old! I don't remember the media falling apart in worry and clinging to Nicklaus the way they do Woods. They had totally written him off and didn't seem to care. They had moved on with Seve, Norman, etc. However, it was remarkable what Nicklaus had done at his age. Today, they use words like Superhuman for Tiger. Woods couldn't hold Jack's jock if he had to go back and play with equipment he had and the competition he played against. Jack was driving it 300+ yards with persimmon woods with a sweet spot the size of a dime and competing with players like Palmer, Watson, Trevino, Player, and Floyd, etc. If anyone was superhuman it was Jack! Brandel Chamblee made the statement that Woods had no competition from '05-'08. I think Woods won 6 of his Majors in that span.

Sadly, we're going to have to endure this with every tournament Woods enters unless he misses the cut. I will say this about Woods. I was surprised the other day at his press conference when they asked about his comeback. He invoked the great Ben Hogan's name! Saying, Hogan's comeback was the greatest of all time." Hogan who nearly died in a car crash in 1949 only to comeback and win the US Open in 1950! I would say Hogan may have been the greatest golfer of all time. IMO it's between He and Nicklaus.

Anyway, looking forward to great finish to The Masters!
Can Reed win his first Major? Will Rory get the career slam? How about a 42 year old not named Tiger, named Stenson slip on the Green Jacket. or maybe Rickie Fowler gets his first Major or the 23 year old Rahm!

Which scenario are you pulling for

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Spieth started the day 9 shots behind but is now within 3 of the lead after going -5 on the front nine! Jon Rahm also just 3 shots back currently.

The Hock

Master
I'm the golf equivalent of the guy who rarely watches football but always shows up for the Super Bowl party. I always try to watch the Masters.

Have some knowledge of golf far from an expert but it seems to me that the putting is off this year. Or at least this round.

Riggins44

Master
Wow, Spieth is on fire. Good for him. Still pulling for Reed to win since he's never won a major.

And now Spieth with another birdie after narrowly missing an eagle. 2 back.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Valiant effort by Jordan, but it's Reed's tournament now unless he makes a major mistake.

The Hock

Master
Happy for Reed. Looked like he might piss it away but he recovered himself.

Plus I think Spieth and the Irishman will be back in the same position sooner than Reed will.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Good on Patrick, he had ice water in his veins today, well earned!

BeyondFedUp

Hall of Famer
Congrats to Reed! First Masters, first Major! Good job!

Lots of near misses today by everyone...not as dramatic as some final rounds of course, but special of course.

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
First off, congrats to Patrick Reed on winning his first Masters and first major. He made some clutch shots down the stretch on the Back 9, along with a little luck on 13 and 17. I wasn't Reed's biggest fan, but after watching him in the Ryder Cup a couple of years ago, he won me over some. I would've loved to see Spieth win, but a well-deserved victory for Reed. Jordan had one of the most impressive rounds I've seen going today until that wayward driver on 18, which cost him not only a likely birdie look, but a great chance to par the hole as well. Still, to nearly win after being down 9 shots heading into the Final Round is impressive.

Another note - good on Rickie Fowler for playing well in the Final Round. He usually ends up fading, but it was good see him with some fight after a slow start again today.

It was tough to see McIlroy with another lackluster Sunday at Augusta. If you'd have told me CBS wouldn't be showing Rory on the Back 9 much after his amazing round yesterday, I'd have thought you were crazy. I'm beginning to wonder if the pressure on Rory to win at Augusta going forward will be the same pressure that Phil's had to win the U.S. Open the last few years; it's beginning to look that way after another flat round with the Green Jacket on the line. That missed eagle putt at 2 and the missed par at 3 really seemed to take a lot out of Rory.

I did hate CBS's coverage right at the start of the day; they were showing Woods' every shot; even when the leaders were out on the course!! You'd have thought he, and not Paul Casey, made the huge run today.

All and all though - another great Sunday at Augusta, with some drama down to the last hole. Looking forward to the Players in a month!

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I must admit to also not being a big Reed fan and I think most golf fans were probably rooting for someone else to win, but he gained a lot of respect today for his performance throughout the tournament. He had become kind of forgotten behind the other young stars that have emerged in recent years, but firmly re-established himself today. And since he was already the U.S.'s version of Ian Poulter in the Ryder Cup, his popularity will really start to grow now. I can't stand Rich Lerner, but he did coin a good phrase just now, saying, "The bulldog is now the big dog." Bulldog describes Reed's style perfectly, he's determined and tenacious as hell.

And that also makes four straight American victories in the last four majors, all by players in their 20s. The Ryder Cup this fall in France is setting up to be an epic battle.

Last edited: