2009 Pre-Season

dwid

Hall of Famer
was that Woodhead with two good runs that went unmentioned? they kept cutting to Flacco. He showed some power, 7 yards up the middle
edit: im pretty sure it was, the next play was a short yardage run up the middle and he got the first down. They didnt mention his name until he was in a goal line situation.

Woodhead just had a nice run just now

and Troy Smith looked horrible earlierEdited by: dwid

backrow

Hall of Famer
wow, i just only tuned in, but 11 carries for Danny and only 20 something yards? that's not good

EDIT as i was about to post he broke off a long run!

backrow

Hall of Famer
no doubt, good point about Ravens D. i mean Paul Kruger, Zbikowski and Bannan coule easily be starters anywhere. Oglesby is pretty decent as well.

too bad Danny didn't get in on his push, i do like coaches giving him 16 touches!

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
i'm finally watching the game. ( i recorded it! yay for technology!)

the Jets just went for it on 4th and 3, and Woodhead was open for a first down on a wheel route. but the quarterback looked at him and refused to throw him the ball, instead throwing into a tightly covered negro for an incompletion. Woodhead was so open, he threw up his arms and waved at the qb.

what the crap?

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
the very next drive ...

Woodhead running tough between the tackles and picking up yards after contact. not much room for him to run, though, but he's showing good leg drive. and a nice catch downnear his knees for an 8-yard gain on 3rd-and-4,picking up thefirst down.

Ravens defense reads a screen pass to Woodhead, but he shows good balance and breaks a tackle and still picks up 4 yards after being hit at the line of scrimmage.

i'd like to see him get something out in space or a run off-tackle. all his runs are inside dives, and there's not much room for him to work.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
i don't recall, dwid. sorry, mate.

dwid

Hall of Famer
he definitely showed power for a scat back, but you are right, it would have been nice to see him used better. He didn't have a problem chipping big dlinemen either. I think he definitely proved he wasn't "too small" to do anything like so many people suggest.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
next drive ....

Woodhead picks up 6 in traffic. he looks very quick, but again there's not much space for him to run. it seems to me like he's breaking a tackle at the line of scrimmage on virtually every play.

nice block by Woodhead, picking up the blitz.

Woodhead gets the call again, and is hit at the line of scrimmage but carries the defender for 3 yards. this is a them, i'm seeing.

as an aside, there are a lot of White men making plays for this Ravens defense. the Ravensback-up defensive unit looks better than the Ravens starting offense! outside of Flacco, i mean.

another dropped pass by a negro wideout! that's a theme for this preseason. jeez! i've seen a LOT of them already.

Woodhead hit hard after picking up 2 yards. man, can somebody give him a block!?

4th-and-1, Woodhead bounces it outside and hits the gas. nice run! picks up 14 yards.

2nd-and-goal, did Danny get in with his leap? the refs say no. 3rd-and-goal from the 1-inch line.
quarterback sneak for the score.

all in all, Woodhead's performance was much better than his numbers show. he ran hard between the tackles, showing that he has the ability to break tackles and run inside at this level. he also did a nice job picking up the blitz as well asgetting open and catching the ball.

i would've liked to see some better play calling to use his talents, or some better blocking, butneither happened. Danny gave a good accounting of himself, though.

foobar75

Master
Watching the Jets/Ravens, did anyone notice Jon Gruden and his absolute love affair with black players? I mean, he was on a roll, slobbering all over himself, describing past and present black players and how great they are and this and that.
smiley5.gif

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
that's every day life in the modern NFL, foobar. they love their dark meat.

Bear Backer

Mentor
Jimmy Chitwood said:
next drive ....
<div> </div>
<div>Woodhead picks up 6 in traffic. he looks very quick, but again there's not much space for him to run. it seems to me like he's breaking a tackle at the line of scrimmage on virtually every play.</div>
<div> </div>
<div>nice block by Woodhead, picking up the blitz.</div>
<div> </div>
<div>Woodhead gets the call again, and is hit at the line of scrimmage but carries the defender for 3 yards. this is a them, i'm seeing.</div>
<div> </div>
<div>as an aside, there are a lot of White men making plays for this Ravens defense. the Ravens back-up defensive unit looks better than the Ravens starting offense! outside of Flacco, i mean.</div>
<div> </div>
<div>another dropped pass by a negro wideout! that's a theme for this preseason. jeez! i've seen a LOT of them already. </div>
<div> </div>
<div>Woodhead hit hard after picking up 2 yards. man, can somebody give him a block!?</div>
<div> </div>
<div>4th-and-1, Woodhead bounces it outside and hits the gas. nice run! picks up 14 yards. </div>
<div> </div>
<div>2nd-and-goal, did Danny get in with his leap? the refs say no. 3rd-and-goal from the 1-inch line.</div>
<div>quarterback sneak for the score.</div>
<div> </div>
<div>all in all, Woodhead's performance was much better than his numbers show. he ran hard between the tackles, showing that he has the ability to break tackles and run inside at this level. he also did a nice job picking up the blitz as well as getting open and catching the ball. </div>
<div> </div>
<div>i would've liked to see some better play calling to use his talents, or some better blocking, but neither happened. Danny gave a good accounting of himself, though.</div>

Sounds to me like he did a damn good job with what he had to work with. Breaking tackles consistently is more than what we can expect from the so called "Superior Affletes" 90% of the time. They usually just get hit and fall down like it is some unwritten rule in the NFL. Kind of like what we used to do as kids in light tackle football. So what did the caste announcing to have to say about how he looked? Any cheap shots on him, both from in the booth and the brothas on the field?

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Woodhead's biggest obstacle to making the Jets is that he's a "Leon Washington type" on a team that already has Leon Washington. I just don't see him making the team barring some injuries. And the play calling for him was lousy and so was the blocking, same as in last week's game.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
the booth mainly ignored him, only saying his name if he touched the ball and not discussing his chances or abilities at all that i noticed.

they did cite his twice being named the top Division II player at one point, though.

unfortunately, i am afraid Don is right about Danny's chance... but for once, i hopeDon is wrong!
smiley4.gif

foobar75

Master
Something quite remarkable happened today that I should point out.

The local ESPN affiliate here carries a number of radio shows, including several local ones. One of these shows is hosted by former Husky QB Brock Huard and a sidekick. I've been listening to the bits and pieces of this show, and it's pretty obvious that Huard has adjusted really well to his role as member of the caste media.

So, today they are talking about the Seahawks and they have a guest on their show, former NFL OL Ray Roberts, who is black. After discussing various topics, Nick Reed's name comes up, and he gets some deserved praise. Huard of course immediately starts talking about Reed's high motor and how hard he works, etc. It's the usual caste crap. Then, Roberts interjects, and this is what he said: (paraphrasing here)

"You know, sometimes we refer to players as hard workers and giving them hustle awards. But Nick Reed, this guy is actually very good. He has some legitimate skills and he can really play. He takes advantage of his quickness against the bigger lineman and uses good technique to get around them and always make plays. This guy is a football player."

This is followed by silence, as Huard and his sidekick are completely blindsided.
smiley36.gif

I started laughing of course! And then, Huard mentions how Reed will likely get some time with the first unit against KC this weekend and the conversations went on from there.

backrow

Hall of Famer
nice post foobar.

also, i am quoting Gruden, who you mentioned earlier:

"that is one GOOD LOOKING, TALL cornerback". the only thing he failed to mentioned is how sexy he finds him...

dwid

Hall of Famer
Michael Vick's return to the NFL has been ridiculous. NFL network covering the game....but ONLY the offense. How messed up is that. Vick came on the field for a shovel pass and the crowd cheered and now he runs for a one yard game. He looks much slower.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
dwid said:
Michael Vick's return to the NFL has been ridiculous. NFL network covering the game....but ONLY the offense. How messed up is that. Vick came on the field for a shovel pass and the crowd cheered and now he runs for a one yard game. He looks much slower.

I almost forgot that the prick is playing tonight. I hope he gets injured. Looks like Curtis has one catch already for 14 yards.Edited by: whiteathlete33

Taco

Guru
I missed the first quarter of Eagles/Jaguars, did anyone see if Considine is the Jaguars starting safety?

EDIT: Just saw Considine, i think first teams are still in so i believe he is the starter. Just saw Pete Ittersagenskljsalkjd whatever his name is, AND its the 2nd quarter too. He's listed as CB on Jaguars website, The Jaguars are the last team I thought I'd see with a white cornerback.Edited by: Taco

Taco

Guru
Oh boy, Eckel fumbled the ball for a turnover. Not good considering how little time he already gets on the field. Eagles are having an ugly game tonite.

backrow

Hall of Famer
Tom Nelson had a great 44 yard punt return

Brian Leonard has 1 catch for 25 yards and 4 carries for 6 yards (one of them was 1 yard TD run).

James Laurinaitis has 6 tackles and a recovered fumble while Vobora and Craig Dahl have a sack each for Rams.