2008 NFL Combine

<A name=460690></A>NFL | Sherden works out at Pro Day
Mon, 31 Mar 2008 10:35:28 -0700

Gil Brandt, of NFL.com, reports Luther College RB Tyler Sherden worked out at Iowa State's Pro Day Tuesday, March 25. Sherden ran a 4.50 and 4.52 40-yard dash, had a 30-inch vertical jump, a nine-foot, eight-inch long jump, a 4.53-second short shuttle, a 6.84-second cone drill and completed 14 repetitions on the 225-pound bench press. He measured in at 6-foot 3/8 and 209 pounds.

---------------------------------------

With these numbers, and black skin, Sherden would be a draftable commodity. I've really noticed that Whites have consistently been putting up excellent times in the 3 cone drill this year. Not sure if its because of our tight hips, deceptive speed or work ethic... anyone have any thoughts?

jared

Mentor
As per NFL.com:
» WR Jordy Nelson (6-2 7/8, 218): Ran position drills only, keeping all his numbers from the combine. But he reportedly had a very good workout.

Bummer, I was hoping he'd try and improve his numbers.

jared

Mentor
reclaimsocal said:
With these numbers, and black skin, Sherden would be a draftable commodity.  I've really noticed that Whites have consistently been putting up excellent times in the 3 cone drill this year.  Not sure if its because of our tight hips, deceptive speed or work ethic...  anyone have any thoughts?
I would attribute it to our non-stop motors.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I don't know, but I believe it has something to do with our being precise route runners.

Gi-15

Mentor
btw seems like Luke Swann was outstanding at wisconsin 2nd pro day: from tfydraft.com

Seven teams including the Green Bay Packers, Indianapolis Colts, Jacksonville Jaguars, Chicago Bears, Baltimore Ravens and New York Jets traveled to Madison, Wisconsin to watch receiver Luke Swann workout. Swann was to only Badger on display today.

Swann decided to sit on his vertical jump of 38.5 inches, which was recorded during Wisconsin's initial pro-day during the first week of March. He also decided not to run the forty even though he had been cleared by doctors to do so as his surgically repaired hamstring injury from last October is okay.

Swann announced he would run for scouts before the draft if it was a priority for teams. The rest of his workout went well.

Swann posted a 10'9.5" broad jump, ran 3.91 seconds in the short shuttle, 11.10 in the long shuttle and 6.56 seconds in the 3-cone.

His pass catching workout was exceptional.

Scouts worked Swann hard and since he was the only Badger running drills, he handled the entire workload on the field for 25 minutes.

Sources told us he looked outstanding catching the ball, running great routes and missing just one pass, which was more of a bad throw than anything else.

Swann made two outstanding diving receptions, which made scouts take notice. Badger senior Tyler Donovan was the practice passer and the marginally accurate quarterback had Swann adjusting every which way to catch his errant passes.

Scouts left the workout with the opinion Swann could land in the late rounds or, at the very worst, will end up as a priority free agent. He is set to visit with the Packers on April 9th.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
I like Swann alot. He had an outstanding YPC average over his college career. He has great hands, very good speed and runs exceptional routes. Maybe teams could feel he is a Welker type gem.

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
I feel Luke Swan ressembles Wes Welker a lot. The kid always find a way to get open with his "less than blazin speed". He might be a good pickup for Aaron Rodgers!

backrow

Hall of Famer
Geez, not the Bears please... all we need is another Mike Hass or now-gone David Ball situation...

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
a 10'9.5" broad jump, ran 3.91 seconds in the short shuttle, 11.10 in the long shuttle and 6.56 seconds in the 3-cone.

-Wow every single one of those numbers isn't just good they're phenomenal. The only skill player other than Swan that went sub 4 in this entire draft at pro-day in the short shuttle was fellow Caucasian tailback Justin Beaver (who says white guys aren't quick and shifty). And a lot of guys that run 4.4s don't run faster than 11.5 or so in the long shuttle. A 10'9.5 BJ is also impressive. And a 6.56 3 cone is out of this world good as well!

Luke should run the 40 yard, with these kind of numbers I'm guessing he'll be at least 4.55 in the 40. That kind of time won't hurt his stock b/c he is already considered slow at this point in the 40 b/c of his whiteness. Nfldraftscout.com has Swan's 40 at 4.59.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
What a great workout. He looked really good. It is so discouraging to see these Hass type kids get screwed year after year. When will it end? Keep your head up guys. At least we have had two receivers in the last two years lead the nfl in receptions. Maybe the door is just slightly cracked and we can bust it down soon!

backrow

Hall of Famer
from draftdaddy:

The Indianapolis Colts traveled to Athens, Ohio on Tuesday to workout safety Todd Koenig. He measured in at 6'2" and 217 pounds. His 40 times were 4.45 (with wind) and 4.50 (into wind) on Ohio's game field. Todd has been under the radar all season, despite leading Ohio's defense in tackles and starting 31 of 33 games in the past three seasons. Teams have gotten very interested now that his size was confirmed at Ohio's Pro Day and he showed speed in the 4.4 - 4.50 area.

smiley32.gif

backrow

Hall of Famer
a snippet from sportingnews.com article about defensive players with questions looming over them:

"Dan Connor, LB, Penn State. Rest assured, there will be arguments about whether Connor is an overrated prospect. The main reason he will cause debate in draft rooms is coaches tend to fall in love with his toughness, smarts and intangibles -- and overlook his lack of athleticism. Connor is a stiff, straight-line player who lacks the flexibility to change directions quickly, tackle well in the open field and move well in pass coverage downfield. In addition, his intangibles will get some teams to believe he could be productive playing outside linebacker; many others say he only fits only as an inside linebacker in a 3-4 scheme. "

and here's draftdaddy's comment:

"DD.comment: We really feel bad for Dan Connor. The kid is a former 5-star recruit, largely based on his overall athletic ability as a tailback and linebacker as a prep prospect. He went to Penn State (Linebacker University) and shattered the schools' all-time tackles record. Then he put forth a nice display of athletic ability at Pro Day (4.67 40, 35" Vertical, 4.25 short shuttle, ect.), yet he can't shake the sterotype that he suffers from a "lack of athleticism" and has limited flexibility. We have no other comments -- we are left speechless, so we may as well move on to the next story."
smiley32.gif

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Does Connor have elite athleticism for an NFL OLB or ILB, no. But he is still above average for LBs that get playing time. Connor is a smart, instinctive player with above average athleticism for an NFL starting LB, and he is a beast of a tackler. This is utter BS...Talk about real hate on a player, you can't be much more disparaging than this: ".....his lack of athleticism. Connor is a stiff, straight-line player who lacks the flexibility to change directions quickly, tackle well in the open field and move well in pass coverage downfield."

That is a good find Backrow, and draftdaddy as always calls out "annalists" for their BS.

Van_Slyke_CF

Mentor
Zach Thomas has made one helluva career out of less so-called athleticism than Dan Connor is supposed to have. You would think that some people would get a clue that production on the field is something that should always be figured into the equation about projecting the potential of NFL draftees. I guess being the all-time tackles leader at Linebacker U-Penn State-is not quite enough.

backrow

Hall of Famer
ToughJ.Riggins said:
That is a good find Backrow, and draftdaddy as always calls out "annalists" for their BS.

exactly, what a hateful BS from the Sportine News...
i feel like we have a moral obligation to archive crap like this and ventually we'll have so much evidence of the system that no sane person will be able to deny it.

Backrow do you have a link for the draft daddy bit about Connor?
that could come in useful at a few sites i frequent but you HAVE to have a link to any outside sites and as much as i love this site if i post the link to this thread they will start banging about the rascist tag and our arguement will lose credibility as i have seen so many times when CF has been mentioned

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
again, DraftDaddy spots a talented white athlete.
smiley32.gif
former Boston College cornerback/Slippery Rock track phenom Brad Mueller impressed at Pro Day.

03/28/08 - Offensive lineman Mike Butterworth wasn't the only SRU athlete making an impression at Tuesday's pro day in Morrow Field House. SRU track sensation Brad Mueller attended the pro day as well, running really fast, clocking in with a 4.24 in the 40-yard dash. He no doubt at least aroused the curiosity of the lone scout, from the Atlanta Falcons, as he was put through additional workouts at the conclusion of the day. "He had not seen me do anything," Mueller said. "He just wanted to take a look at me. "I didn't train at all for this, I just found out I was doing this a week ago. I am very fortunate to have this opportunity." Mueller has most recently won the Division II national championship in the 60-meter dash at Mankato, Minn. During the indoor track and field season, Mueller competed in five races, winning and setting a school record each time. "When you have the fastest guy in Division II, they have to look at him," said Rock head football coach George Mihalik. "As we all say, 'The one thing you can't coach is speed.'" - Terry Rodgers, SRU The Online Rocket

link

funny how NFLDraftScout projects him as a free safety, huh?
smiley5.gif
smiley7.gif

more news about Brad's speed from other sources...
It's no surprise that SRU sprinter Brad Mueller cruised to a win while setting a school record in the 60-meter dash in his final race of the indoor season.

Mueller has made a habit of doing both this year.

Mueller has competed in five meets this year, winning and setting a school record each time.

With a time of 6.65 seconds, Mueller, a graduate student from Valencia, Pa., earned the Rock's first-ever indoor national championship.

Papa, who was unable to attend the national meet as he accompanied the remainder of the team to San Diego State University for the Aztec Classic, was excited to hear the news.

"Of course once I heard that, I said 'It's over,'" (head track coach John) Papa said. "(I knew that) if he (could) run close to those guys, he (could) beat them, so the next day I wasn't surprised (with the win).

"We really don't know how fast Brad is...he has not been beat yet. It's truly one of those once-in-a-lifetime things."

full article

Slippery Rock University track coach John Papa planted the seed last summer.

When Papa found out Mars Area High School and Boston College graduate Brad Mueller was going to be taking graduate classes at The Rock and still had a year of college eligibility remaining, he made it a point to talk to Mueller.

Mueller had said he wanted to play football for Slippery Rock, but Papa remembered that Mueller had won the WPIAL Class AA 100-meter dash title as a senior at Mars.

Papa also knows that once an individual is fast, he's always fast.

"I talked to him about the possibility of running indoor track once football was over," Papa said.

Toward the end of the football season, Mueller said he didn't think he would have time to run track. What he didn't count on was that his competitive juices would still be flowing after the shoulder pads were put away.

So, Mueller decided to run indoor track.

All he did was rewrite the Slippery Rock record book a few times and win an NCAA Division II national title in the 60-meter dash.

Mueller set the school record for the fifth time in five competitions at the national championships in Mankato, Minn., March 15. He won his heat in the preliminaries in 6.71 seconds and won the championships with a time of 6.65 seconds.

Mueller's time of 6.65 at the national championships would have placed him seventh at the Division I indoor championships...

Prior to the Division II national championships, Mueller won the Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference title in the 55-meter dash, setting a PSAC meet record of 6.31 seconds in the process. Slippery Rock ended up winning its first indoor PSAC team title at the meet at East Stroudsburg.

"The last time I ran track was five years ago," said Mueller, who played defensive back and returned kickoffs for The Rock in football. "Boston College had a [track] team, but the track wasn't on campus."

Mueller, who was listed at 5 feet 11 and 175 pounds for football, is Slippery Rock's first indoor national champion.

"I knew he could help us. He's still a young man and was in good shape [from football]," Papa said. "I wasn't sure how fast he would go until he ran that first meet for us and broke the school record ... and then he pretty much broke it evert time he ran."

Now, with an All-American award in tow, Mueller is looking forward to the outdoor season. He is competing in the 100 and said he will probably also give the 200-meter dash a try.

"I've always done well in the 40 [yard dash] in football, so running the 60 indoors wasn't that hard," he said. "The 100 is a little different, but I've been lifting and working to get there.

"I never was much of a technique runner in high school. I worked on starts and stuff, but I pretty much just relied on my speed. But now, I'm getting into more of the technical side of sprinting and I think that's going to be a big help."

The added benefit to running track is that Mueller is proving he has speed to burn, which might make him attractive to pro football scouts. He said he has been contacted by a couple NFL teams.

the full article

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Jimmy Chitwood said:
again, DraftDaddy spots a talented white athlete.
smiley32.gif
former Boston College cornerback/Slippery Rock track phenom Brad Mueller impressed at Pro Day.

03/28/08 - Offensive lineman Mike Butterworth wasn't the only SRU athlete making an impression at Tuesday's pro day in Morrow Field House. SRU track sensation Brad Mueller attended the pro day as well, running really fast, clocking in with a 4.24 in the 40-yard dash. He no doubt at least aroused the curiosity of the lone scout, from the Atlanta Falcons, as he was put through additional workouts at the conclusion of the day. "He had not seen me do anything," Mueller said. "He just wanted to take a look at me. "I didn't train at all for this, I just found out I was doing this a week ago. I am very fortunate to have this opportunity." Mueller has most recently won the Division II national championship in the 60-meter dash at Mankato, Minn. During the indoor track and field season, Mueller competed in five races, winning and setting a school record each time. "When you have the fastest guy in Division II, they have to look at him," said Rock head football coach George Mihalik. "As we all say, 'The one thing you can't coach is speed.'" - Terry Rodgers, SRU The Online Rocket

link

funny how NFLDraftScout projects him as a free safety, huh?
smiley5.gif
smiley7.gif

Nice find, Jimmy. I wrote about Mueller almost six years ago. He's from the same high school as Billy Bair ( [url]http://www.castefootball.us/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=6176&a mp;PN=1[/url]), who received the same blatantly racist treatment from recruiters this year as did Mueller:

(8/28/02) Trent Wisner, an excellent high school tailback who had aspirations of making the NFL, created a very minor stir in these parts several years ago when he claimed that the University of Pittsburgh, West Virginia and Penn State would not recruit him because he is white. The controversy was quickly forgotten however, and Wisner disappeared into one of the many small college programs in this area.

Wisner was right, of course. Take another tailback at a local high school who will be a senior this year. Brad Mueller is a star for Mars High School (yes, Mars), who ran for over 1,500 yards as a junior last year. He also runs a super-fast 4.3 40, which is what he ran at the Nike Football Training Camp at Penn State this spring, which is a one-day event which attracts more than 300 top prospects from 16 states. Mueller, who is also a champion state sprinter, ran the fastest time of any of them; in fact, I doubt there is a starting tailback in the NFL that runs a 4.3 40.

There have been several newspaper articles about Mueller and the fact that he is being recruited by some major programs, including Penn State, Syracuse and Boston College. But what is absolutely mind-boggling is that every single big-time program that is recruiting Mueller is recruiting him to play wide receiver or defensive back. Not a single one wants him as a runner.

Why not???? Could you imagine a star black tailback who already runs a 4.3 40 as a junior in high school not being recruited by a single college to play tailback, but only to play some other position? It's insanity. And this is exactly why there are no white starting tailbacks in the National Football League. And why the very few white wide receivers, almost without exception, were either walk-ons at major programs or played at a small college and had to fight and claw their way to get into the league.

If a kid like Brad Mueller cannot get a chance to run the ball in college, what would it take?