2007 NFL Week 6

Don Wassall said:
Here's the first sentence from the main AP story on last night's game (by Paul Newberry): "Eli Manning made enough good throws to overcome some glaring mistakes."

Is that an unbiased description of what took place?  Manning was 27 of 39 for 303 yards in an easy win.  He played an excellent game and the Giants were never seriously threatened.  How about this for a first sentence: "Eli Manning threw for over 300 yards thanks to mostly precision passing, as the resurgent Giants dominated the Falcons in an easy 31-10 road victory."]

Towards the end of the Vikings-Bears game, one of the cretins calling the game said something to the effect that while it's right to emphasize Peterson's 220 yards, "we" shouldn't overlook Tarvaris Jackson's important role in the Viking win. That important role? Not throwing an interception. Apparently, 9 for 23, including several terrible throws that 1)couldv'e gone for touchdowns or 2)should have been picked off, is a "contribution" to a win. Didn't the other team on the field bench a white quarterback for better numbers than these?

Bart said:
Kaptain Poop said:
How about the 6 drops by the Falcon recievers! Is it possible that with all the whining the brothers on the team have decided to sabotage Harrington in order to get their boy Buyrum in there? 

It's more than possible.  

On the other hand, if I recall correctly Atlanta in '06 had the fewest catches by WRs in the league, even with St. Michael "Ron Mexico" Vick running the show. Their motivations aside, I don't think they're very good.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
jaxvid said:
Thrashen said:
I'll admit something that I've noticed since this season began...I'm starting to like Randy Moss.

Think about it, he's behaving, he takes double teams for Wes Welker, and he's helping the whitest team in the league win. He's OK in my book.

Give it time. Moss will revert to his real self, this is a guy who tried to run over a cop. He has taken plays off (lots of them). He's playing hard now because the team is winning and he's involved. I predict another felony in this guys future, maybe after he retires.

I remember the car incident with Moss. However, I believe he just lightly bumped a female crossing guard with his car b/c he was angry, in a hurry and she was making him wait longer than he thought was necessary. I think he was just being a jerky dumb*ss. I don't think he wanted to hurt anyone, he's just a bit of an idiot. I don't know if it was in an area with school children b/c if it was that could certainly be a felony. I'm not sure what the law is regarding this.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Cassiodorus said:
Bart said:
Kaptain Poop said:
How about the 6 drops by the Falcon recievers! Is it possible that with all the whining the brothers on the team have decided to sabotage Harrington in order to get their boy Buyrum in there?

It's more than possible.

On the other hand, if I recall correctly Atlanta in '06 had the fewest catches by WRs in the league, even with St. Michael "Ron Mexico" Vick running the show. Their motivations aside, I don't think they're very good.

Harrington has shown to be a decent starting QB and shouldn't be looking over his shoulder for the newly signed Leftwich yet. However, Harrington doesn't look like anything special. Yes his receivers are dropping some balls, but Harrington seems to have trouble completing big plays and does too many dump off passes to his RBs and TEs. His decision making is nothing special either, he makes two reads and that's it. If his primary doesn't get open fast he then just dumps the ball to his RB or TE.

Leftwich would be a worse option at this point having just been recently signed, but that could change. If Harrington can't get some wins the fans may have some legitimacy in calling for Leftwich to be put in towards the end of the season.Edited by: ToughJ.Riggins

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
ToughJ.Riggins said:
I believe he (Moss) just lightly bumped a female crossing guard with his car b/c he was angry, in a hurry and she was making him wait longer than he thought was necessary.

Unacceptable, regardless of how pissed off he was or how long she made him wait. You don't physically assault someone just because they are impolite or something takes longer than you think it should. What if that was your wife or daughter, ToughJ? Would you excuse Moss for 'bumping' her with his vehicle? TNB, imo.

As for Leftwich, he has already been named the starting quarterback for the Falcons. Do you know of any black quarterback that has ever been on as short a leash as Joey Harrington? McNair isn't playing any better than Harrington, yet he continues to start. How about the stellar play of that other 'leader,' Vince Young? Compare his stats to Harrington's. I haven't even bothered to check but I'd be willing to bet that Young's are worse than Joey's.

The Falcons signed Leftwich because he is black, plain and simple. It doesn't matter and wouldn't have mattered if Harrington had been outstanding in his performance: Atlanta wants a black quarterback, end of story. I wouldn't be surprised if a backroom deal between the Falcons and Jaguars was made before Leftwich was even cut, with Leftwich in on the entire thing from the beginning. And I promise you this - it's not going to matter how poorly Leftwich plays, he is going to be lauded as a leader, the players are going to gush openly about his 'locker room' presence and how much confidence he has in the huddle. Leftwich will be the quarterback in Atlanta for a long, long time.

Bart

Hall of Famer
White Shogun said:
ToughJ.Riggins said:
I believe he (Moss) just lightly bumped a female crossing guard with his car b/c he was angry, in a hurry and she was making him wait longer than he thought was necessary.

Unacceptable, regardless of how pissed off he was or how long she made him wait. You don't physically assault someone just because they are impolite or something takes longer than you think it should. What if that was your wife or daughter, ToughJ? Would you excuse Moss for 'bumping' her with his vehicle? TNB, imo.

more details of bumping incident.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/757225/posts

Vikings Receiver Moss Charged with Misdemeanors
Reuters ^ | 9/25/02

Posted on 09/25/2002 2:13:29 PM PDT by Tumbleweed_Connection

Minnesota Vikings receiver Randy Moss was charged on Wednesday with two misdemeanor offenses for using his car as a slow-motion battering ram against a traffic officer, but his playing status was uncertain.

Authorities said Moss, 25, tried to turn left in his 2002 Lexus sedan from the wrong lane and was confronted by a female traffic officer during Tuesday's afternoon rush hour. Witnesses said Moss nudged the officer with the car for about half a city block, then stopped when she fell to the pavement.

After a night spent in the Hennepin County jail, Moss was charged with careless driving and failing to obey a traffic officer, both misdemeanors punishable by up to 90 days in jail.

He had been held on suspicion of felony assault, a more serious crime carrying heavier penalties. According to league rules, that could have resulted in multi-game suspension.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
White Shogun said:
ToughJ.Riggins said:

As for Leftwich, he has already been named the starting quarterback for the Falcons. Do you know of any black quarterback that has ever been on as short a leash as Joey Harrington? McNair isn't playing any better than Harrington, yet he continues to start. How about the stellar play of that other 'leader,' Vince Young? Compare his stats to Harrington's. I haven't even bothered to check but I'd be willing to bet that Young's are worse than Joey's.

The Falcons signed Leftwich because he is black, plain and simple. It doesn't matter and wouldn't have mattered if Harrington had been outstanding in his performance: Atlanta wants a black quarterback, end of story. I wouldn't be surprised if a backroom deal between the Falcons and Jaguars was made before Leftwich was even cut, with Leftwich in on the entire thing from the beginning. And I promise you this - it's not going to matter how poorly Leftwich plays, he is going to be lauded as a leader, the players are going to gush openly about his 'locker room' presence and how much confidence he has in the huddle. Leftwich will be the quarterback in Atlanta for a long, long time.

Wow, I just looked at Harrington's stats and they are much better than I thought. I was judging him by how he looked against my Giants team Monday night. Harrington has a 80.3 QB rating and has completed 63% of his passes this season, even with his stone handed receivers dropping the ball.

Harrington has only 4 TDs and has 4 interceptions. However, if Harrington's receiver's put him in a position to succeed rather than having balls go off their hands that become Interceptions, getting him into lots of 3rd and longs and falling behind he probably would have more like a 68% completion percentage with 6 TDs and 3 INTs and close to a 100 QB rating! Your right WS, this is blatant affirmative action putting Leftwich in!