World Number 1!

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
Rory McIlroy on the heels of his PGA win and 3 tournament wins in a row is firmly entrenched now as the number 1 player in the world!

1. Rory McIlroy, 11.27
2. Adam Scott, 9.28
3. Henrik Stenson, 8.21
4. Sergio Garcia, 7.75
5. Justin Rose, 7.45
6. Jim Furyk, 6.87
7. Matt Kuchar, 6.66
8. Bubba Watson, 6.60
9. Phil Mickelson, 6.28, back into the top 10 from 13th
10. Jason Day, 6.28

11. Tiger Woods, 5.75, falling out of the top 10!
12. Jordan Spieth, 5.49

Tiger Woods is now ranked number 70 in the world! After 2 events this season, Tiger has WD and been cut!

McIlroy is still number 1, but will likely miss the cut this week at the Honda.

Bubba Watson has climbed to number 2 and Jordan Spieth is back in the top 10 at number 9! Patrick Reed, who has already won 4 tournaments in his young career is in second at the Honda this weekend and is number 16 in the world! Could vault into the top 10 with a win!

Last edited:

Thrashen

Hall of Famer
Woods has been playing the worst golf of his career, struggling with his driving, irons, chipping, putting, and allegedly playing through injuries to his back and “deactivated glutesâ€￾…unfortunate ailments which only seem to rear their ugly head when Tiger is performing terribly and doesn’t feel like finishing in last place or missing the cut. Mark my words; the “Arch Scheißkerlâ€￾ will be present for all 4 major tournaments in 2015…

[video=youtube;5X0eiGvA0rE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5X0eiGvA0rE[/video]
CAPTION: Worst Chip in PGA Tour History?

Another occurrence from last month, the importance of which is difficult to overstate: Tiger Woods is probably done. Unless he makes a one-time gimmick run at a Masters at some point, it's over. He will never be anywhere near #1 again. The press is flipping out.

http://nypost.com/2015/02/27/what-pissed-off-rory-mcilroy-must-learn-from-tiger-woods/

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/15c337ba-bd0f-11e4-b523-00144feab7de.html

http://www.golfdigest.com/blogs/the-loop/2015/02/tiger-woods-gets-some-earthy-a.html

Those three stories are from the last 48 hours. He's not a golfer anymore, he's a reality show. Tiger hasn't even competed in nearly a month. Some of you might want the press to catch a clue, and stop this idiocy. Not me. I want it to continue, and increase. Every time they do it, a few more eyes are opened.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I enjoyed sending this email to the Golf Channel on Feb. 6th. The subject title was "Boys and girls can your Tiger worship get any more ridiculous?":

I tuned into the Tiger Worship Channel’s Golf Central show last night to see how the first round of the Farmer’s Insurance Open went. Little did I realize that there was only one player in the field, who had withdrawn much to the solemn consternation of your on-air personnel. This sole player is ranked #55 in the world and hasn’t won a major since 2008 and his peak season was back in 2000, but the first 38 minutes of Golf Central was spent focusing solely on him. How was Phil doing, how about Dustin Johnson in his first tournament in six months, who were the leaders? Who cares, your god had withdrawn, yet again, hardly newsworthy anymore except to those with an agenda.

Many people dislike Tiger Woods because of the agenda of your network and the rest of the media to worship him at the expense of all other golfers. But you’re too fanatical in promoting the agenda to see it.

BTW, after 38 minutes of “reporting†on Woods, Golf Central then had about 1 minute devoted to everyone else in the field (the “non-Tigersâ€), and then it was off to cover an Asian event and the LPGA event. Pathetic, sick, it’s not 2000 anymore and your idol is little better than a weekend hacker at this point. But then again, if Woods retired tomorrow, the Tiger Worship Channel would then spend the next three years airing nothing but Tiger Woods highlights, narrated by Rich Lerner of course.

Thrashen

Hall of Famer
The site was down when Ti-girl withdrew from the “Farmers Insurance Open†due to an acute case of “deactivated glutes.†His ridiculous, lie-riddled explanation…

"It's just my glutes are shutting off. Then they don't activate and then, hence, it goes into my lower back. So I tried to activate my glutes as best I could, in between, but it's just they never stayed activated."

B-fsJaaIQAA9tV-.jpg:large

Also, while the site was down, Tiger somehow lost his famous “corn tooth.†His explanation…

"Dude with a video camera on his shoulder, right in front of me, kneeling, stood up and turned and caught me square on the mouth. He chipped that one, cracked the other one. And so then, you know, I'm trying to keep this thing so the blood is not all over the place, and luckily he hit the one I had the root canal on. That's the one that chipped. But the other one had to be fixed, as well, because it had cracks all through it."

idmtcg82lkagjibrblnh.png

In my opinion, Tiger’s career isn’t through, at least I hope it isn’t. I very much look forward to watching him humiliate himself, feign injuries to avoid getting cut, and get carted off to the parking lot to his wiggeress prostitute (Lindsey Vonn Afrika) like a weakling while white golfers hoist trophies. It would be much more satisfying to watch him wallow in the doldrums of obscurity on the golf course (while the media covers his every move) for a few more years before realizing that the competition in golf is better than ever before and that domestic and international athletes have surpasses him in many ways. However, until he officially retires, I won’t ever stop worrying about him winning more majors.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
I am not a huge golf follower but do notice the Tiger Woods hype on ESPN whenever a major tournament is approaching. Everytime I hear about him he is in the best shape of his career and ready to win whatever major event he is about to play in. Each time he fails like clockwork. I am pretty sure he was a cheat - he has been tied to HGH and perhaps now his body is failing him. I never hear anyone mention his alleged HGH use as either a reason his body is broken down or to question the legitimacy of his career overall.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
I am not a huge golf follower but do notice the Tiger Woods hype on ESPN whenever a major tournament is approaching. Everytime I hear about him he is in the best shape of his career and ready to win whatever major event he is about to play in. Each time he fails like clockwork. I am pretty sure he was a cheat - he has been tied to HGH and perhaps now his body is failing him. I never hear anyone mention his alleged HGH use as either a reason his body is broken down or to question the legitimacy of his career overall.

There's a lot of talk about his PED use on message boards. He is intimately linked to the doctor that roided up A-Rod so anyone can put 2 and 2 together. But of course that math cannot be done by the media so they flail around trying to explain his fall in other ways.

Personally I think that golf is a very mental game and Tiger was so good because he was so strong mentally. Now the opposite has happened and his mind is messed up. He may never get it back. There have been lots of golfers that dropped off the map once they lost the mental edge needed to compete at the top. Tiger may truly be done. He needs a tune-up before the Masters and it doesn't look like that's going to happen.

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
That's probably his biggest problem, his head. Not to mention this younger generation of talent aren't going to be intimidated by Woods.

Just off the top here are a few golfers who've reached major championship heights only to fall off the face of the map:

David Duval
Ian Baker-Finch
Michael Campbell
Rich Beem
Mike Weir, although he's tried to make a comeback, but nowhere near where he used to be!

I know their are plenty of others, so it won't surprise me if Tiger doesn't ever reach the top again.

Thrashen

Hall of Famer
Don, that email you sent to “Golf Channel†is awesome, thanks for sharing!

The latest rumor concerning the corporate media’s eternally-discussed, ¼ black has-been is that his “absence due to injury†is actually a result of a “Secret PED Suspension.†From ESPN…

PALM BEACH GARDENS, Fla. -- A journeyman professional golfer who has spent time recently giving lessons and caddying said in a radio interview that Tiger Woods has been suspended for a month by the PGA Tour -- a claim that the PGA Tour and Woods' agent vehemently deny.

Dan Olsen, 48, who last played a PGA Tour event at the 2011 PGA Championship, told 730AM The Game in Lansing, Mich., on Friday that "I heard he's on a month's suspension ... it's kind of a strong witness. It's a credible person who is telling me this.''

Olsen, who played only one full season on the PGA Tour (2004), said an exempt tour player told him, but he would not disclose the player and couldn't say he fully believed him. He also told ESPN.com's Michael Collins on Monday that the information he got about the suspension was not first-hand.

"It's not testosterone, but it's something else,'' Olsen said. "I think when it's all said and done, he's gonna surpass Lance Armstrong with infamy.''

Olsen also talked about Woods using a "cheater ball,'' referring to the Nike golf ball he plays, and that those allegations were potentially more damaging than the suspension.

"I'll be looked at as just some crazy f--- nobody making accusations about Tiger,'' Olsen told ESPN.com.

Ty Votaw, the executive vice president of the PGA Tour, denied any of the claims brought forth by Olsen.

"There is no truth whatsoever to these claims," Votaw said. "We categorically deny these allegations.''

The Tour almost never comments on disciplinary matters.

Woods said on Feb. 11 that he was taking a break to deal with the issues in his game after withdrawing during the first round last month of the Farmers Insurance Open.

"Over the past year, Woods has withdrawn with an injury three times and now fallen outside of the 70 in the world.

"These claims are absolutely, unequivocally and completely false,'' said Woods' agent, Mark Steinberg, in a statement. "They are unsourced, unverified and completely ridiculous. The PGA Tour has confirmed that there is no truth to these claims.''

If Woods failed a test for performance drugs, the PGA Tour has said it is required to announce a suspension. And it would undoubtedly be for more than a month. If he failed a test for some sort of recreational substance, the tour's policy is not to disclose any penalties.

But if the transgression were severe, a month penalty would seem minor.

"They're not even going to remember the women,'' Olsen said, referring to the personal scandal Woods endured in 2009 which led to a divorce from his wife. "The women are going to take a distance second place. You're gonna talk about him with Lance Armstrong.''

The PGA Tour began testing for performance enhancing drugs in 2008 and Woods has been randomly tested like other players. Only two players have run afoul of the drug testing guidelines and both were suspended for a year.

Olsen tied for 12th at Tucson in 2004, one of only eight cuts that he made in 31 PGA Tour starts that season. He also played the Web.com Tour in 2006, finishing with two top-10s in 27 events.

Why would this guy randomly make all this stuff up? We’ve discussed Tiger’s link to PED’s for many years at CF and hopefully Tiger really did get busted if he cheated. The drastic change in his physique is undeniable...

golf_g_twoods_94amateur_200.jpg

url

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I didn't realize Bubba Watson had risen to number 2 in the world rankings, and he only helped his cause this week by coming in third at the Cadillac Championship, which is a WGC (World Golf Championship) tournament. He's still well behind Rory in the rankings though.

Bubba grabbed the lead in the front nine but then faltered in the back half of the final round. Dustin Johnson won, in just his fourth tournament since taking a 6 month personal leave of absence from the tour.

Bubba and Rory will be the focus of media attention at The Masters next month -- unless of course His Surly Lordship-turned-weekend-hacker decides to play.

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
Dustin Johnson vaults to from number 16 to number 7 in the world with his win at the Cadillac championship! Adam Scott jumps from 5th to 4th.

Woods continues to fall to number 79.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Fresh off his epic Masters win, Jordan Spieth rose from fourth to second in the world rankings. McIlroy is number one, Spieth number two, pretty cool, hopefully it will turn into a rivalry with endurance that, along with a few of the other young and semi-young guns, brings back memories of the glory days of the '60s (Nicklaus, Palmer, Player, Casper) and '70s (Nicklaus, Trevino, Watson, Miller).

Since Tom Watson faded prematurely in the early '80s, the closest White golfers to being dominant have been Nick Faldo and Phil Mickelson, with six and five majors respectively. Greg Norman should have won at least eight or ten, but was continually done in because of miracle shots by opponents, and his own choke jobs. But now Rory already has four and Jordan has one at the age of 21.

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
Fresh off his epic Masters win, Jordan Spieth rose from fourth to second in the world rankings. McIlroy is number one, Spieth number two, pretty cool, hopefully it will turn into a rivalry with endurance that, along with a few of the other young and semi-young guns, brings back memories of the glory days of the '60s (Nicklaus, Palmer, Player, Casper) and '70s (Nicklaus, Trevino, Watson, Miller).

Since Tom Watson faded prematurely in the early '80s, the closest White golfers to being dominant have been Nick Faldo and Phil Mickelson, with six and five majors respectively. Greg Norman should have won at least eight or ten, but was continually done in because of miracle shots by opponents, and his own choke jobs. But now Rory already has four and Jordan has one at the age of 21.

David Duval was another white golfer whom we may not call great as far as all-time perspective, but was great for about a 5 year span.

From 1997-2001, Duval reached number 1 in the world rankings and won 13 PGA tournaments in about a 5 year span or almost 3 wins a year including the British Open. He placed 2nd in The Masters twice and tied for second in The U.S. Open while trying to make a comeback in 2009.

His 13 PGA tournament wins are more than the likes of Faldo, Garcia, Adam Scott, Larry Nelson, Steve Stricker, Justin Leonard and Zach Johnson.

No one's exactly sure why Duval fell hard and quick. He did suffer from injuries and personal problems as well as bouts with vertigo.

It would have been interesting to see how Duval would be mentioned today had he not fallen off the map.

Lately, he's been doing commentary on the Golf Channel or at least he did during The Masters.

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
Wow! Rickie Fowler busts into the top 10 in the world to number 9!

Although Fowler handles himself with a lot of class, he's not one I pull for, but congrats on his Players win.

Sergio with his 2nd place finish moves from number 10 to 7! It seems like Garcia has been in the top ten for 25 years! Amazing for someone who doesn't have a lot of wins.

I would like to know how many consecutive weeks Sergio has been in the top 10.

The top six remain the same:

McIlroy
Spieth
Stenson
Watson
Furyk
Rose

Note: Garcia does have 27 professional wins. Not bad, but only 8 U.S. wins and no majors.

Last edited:

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
1. Rory McIlroy 12.77. Remains number 1, however Spieth is on his heels!
2. Jordan Spieth 11.06. Still number 2, moved almost 2 points and now less than 2 points behind McIlroy.

3. Dustin Johnson 6.91. Vaults from number 7 to 3rd.
4. Justin Rose 6.65 moves from 5 to number 4.
5. Bubba Watson 6.64 drops to number 5.

6. Furyk 6.61
7. Stenson 6.44
8. Day 5.90 from 10 to number 8.

9. Garcia 5.86
10. Fowler 5.70

205. Tiger Woods

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
Jordan Spieth edges closer to the number 1 ranking. Now only 1.23 pts. behind McIlroy. I don't think he has to win the British Open to take over the top spot, but would probably have to finish in the top 2 or 3.

1. McIlroy, 12.52
2. Spieth, 11.29
3. Watson, 7.21
4. Johnson, 6.66
5. Fowler, 6.44, vaults from 9th to 5th after winning the Scottish Open.
6. Furyk, 6.42
7. Stenson, 6.34
8. Rose, 6.25, Someone to watch out for this weekend, for sure!
9. Day, 5.57
10. Garcia, 5.45

15. Kuchar
25. Zach Johnson
241. Woods

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
Jordan Spieth edges closer to the number 1 ranking. Now only 1.23 pts. behind McIlroy. I don't think he has to win the British Open to take over the top spot, but would probably have to finish in the top 2 or 3.

1. McIlroy, 12.52
2. Spieth, 11.29
3. Watson, 7.21
4. Johnson, 6.66
5. Fowler, 6.44, vaults from 9th to 5th after winning the Scottish Open.
6. Furyk, 6.42
7. Stenson, 6.34
8. Rose, 6.25, Someone to watch out for this weekend, for sure!
9. Day, 5.57
10. Garcia, 5.45

15. Kuchar
25. Zach Johnson
241. Woods

Wow! After being number 9 in the world just 2 months ago, Jason Day has claimed the number 1 spot in the world golf rankings.

Honestly, I was hoping Jordan Spieth would have held on for about 10 years, but he only kept it for 1 week, I think. Spieth hasn't been playing well at all lately and Day has been on another level. I hope Spieth can find his game again and re-claim the number 1 position, but it's going to be difficult if Day keeps playing the way he is.

Also Day is 28, and that's not old at all, but Jordan just turned 22. Hopefully he's still learning and can keep maturing and can take it to the next level and not be satisfied with the incredible season he's had.

The top 10....

1. Day 12.64
2. McIlroy 11.89
3. Spieth 11.86
4. Watson 8.55
5. Fowler 8.02
6. Stenson 7.41
7. Furyk 7.10
8. Rose 7.04
9. D. Johnson 6.86
10.Garcia 5.31

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
Wow! After being number 9 in the world just 2 months ago, Jason Day has claimed the number 1 spot in the world golf rankings.

Honestly, I was hoping Jordan Spieth would have held on for about 10 years, but he only kept it for 1 week, I think. Spieth hasn't been playing well at all lately and Day has been on another level. I hope Spieth can find his game again and re-claim the number 1 position, but it's going to be difficult if Day keeps playing the way he is.

Also Day is 28, and that's not old at all, but Jordan just turned 22. Hopefully he's still learning and can keep maturing and can take it to the next level and not be satisfied with the incredible season he's had.

The top 10....

1. Day 12.64
2. McIlroy 11.89
3. Spieth 11.86
4. Watson 8.55
5. Fowler 8.02
6. Stenson 7.41
7. Furyk 7.10
8. Rose 7.04
9. D. Johnson 6.86
10.Garcia 5.31

Jordan Spieth retains the number one position in the world rankings.

1. Spieth, 12.83
2. Day, 12.73
3. McIlroy, 11.52

Could be a battle between these 3 and possibly Rickie Fowler for quite a while!

5. Fowler, 8.05

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
This has been a most enjoyable year of golf. Woods crashed and burned, while the rise of Spieth seems almost miraculous. Jason Day has been tremendous and McIlroy had his moments of brilliance.

Will be interesting to see if Spieth, McIlroy and Day continue to dominate in 2016. I thought there was too much parity for that to happen, but it's great for the sport when it does, and there are plenty of other up-and-coming young players who may separate themselves from the pack next year.

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
Patrick Reed cracks the top 10. I hope he can stay in their for a long time!

1. Jordan Spieth, Number 1 for 12 straight weeks.
2. Jason Day
3. Rory McIlroy
4. Bubba Watson
5. Henrik Stenson
6. Rickie Fowler
7. Justin Rose
8. Dustin Johnson
9. Jim Furyk
10. Patrick Reed

There are now 6 Americans in the top 10.

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
Patrick Reed cracks the top 10. I hope he can stay in their for a long time!

1. Jordan Spieth, Number 1 for 12 straight weeks.
2. Jason Day
3. Rory McIlroy
4. Bubba Watson
5. Henrik Stenson
6. Rickie Fowler
7. Justin Rose
8. Dustin Johnson
9. Jim Furyk
10. Patrick Reed

There are now 6 Americans in the top 10.
You forgot to give us the obligatory Tiger Woods ranking for the lurkers. He's now at # 413, about to join the drunken fraternity circuit.

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
It's been a while since we've updated the top 10, so I thought I would look and see where it stands. I see there's been some changes.
1. Jason Day
2. Dustin Johnson. I didn't realize he'd moved up this far. Great.
3. Jordan Spieth
4. Henrik Stenson
5. Rory McIlroy. Didn't realize he'd moved down to 5th!
6. Adam Scott
7. Bubba Watson
8. Rickie Fowler
9. Patrick Reed. Moves from 14th to the top 10 after his win last week. Glad to see it.
10.Justin Rose

696. Tiger Woods. Don't mean to kick him while he's down, but it's true. Thought some you, including FBDad might want to know.

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
1. Dustin Johnson, Should be a multi major winner! Smashed the field in Maui.
2. Jordan Spieth, 24 year old with 3 Majors. Like to see him get a fourth or fifth this year. Preferably the PGA for the career slam.
3. Jon Rahm, Is he for real or another flash in the pan?
4. Justin Thomas, Coming off a great 2017. Can he pick up another Major?
5. Hideki Matsuyama, Seems to have the game to win a Major. We'll see?
6. Justin Rose, Major winner, always seems to be in the mix.
7. Rickie Fowler, A lot of hype, a good player, but just hasn't lived up to all of it.
8. Brooks Koepka, last years US Open winner played terrible last week in Maui.
9. Henrik Stenson, Major winner. Another one that seems to always be around.
10. Sergio Garcia, Finally got a Major last year. The Masters! Once again in the top 10!
A lot of changes since we last updated the top 10.
Biggest surprise, Jason Day out. Really hoping Patrick Reed would stick around. What about Rory?
Looking forward to this season!

Last edited:

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
So much for all the talk a couple of years ago about the "big three" of McIlroy, Day and Spieth. Rory's drop is the most surprising to me; he should be in his prime years right now. Dustin Johnson is a late bloomer, didn't have the mental maturity to go with his physical talent until recently. Justin Thomas had a year for the ages last year, I'll be interested to see if he can follow it up with at least a two or three win season. Ideally I'd like to see Spieth, Thomas, Johnson and maybe Rose or Garcia win the majors in 2018, but if form holds there'll be at least two first time winners.