White WR revolution?? White Wide Receiver news thread

Kaptain

Master
Abbrederis was going to attend Wisconsin on a track scholarship before deciding to walk-on to the football team. "somehow" i think his speed will be better than "average."

from wiki:

Two-time state champion and state record holder in 110m high hurdles. State champion as a senior in the 300m hurdles. His track team won the state championship in 2009. He was named Gatorade track athlete of the year and BFS Male National Athlete of the Year as a senior.

I think he will be better than "average."

Shadowlight

Master
Last refuge hanging by a thread

The recognizable ones, even by DWFs:

Jordy Nelson
Erick Decker
Brian Hartline
Wes Welker
Julian Edelman
Riley Cooper
Danny Amendola

Well known locally:

Cole Beasley
Kris Durham
Griff Whalen

Good prospects

Jared Abbrederis
Jeff Janis
Ryan Swope(hopefully)

When was the last time in the Pro era white WRs were in such a good position?

To me this is the most important position and I don't want to see it go the way of cornerbacks and tailbacks. But I became ultra depressed when Ryan Swope dropped out due to head injuries and was disappointed the likes of Zach Rogers, Spadula and McGuffie were ignored and say Wylie never finding his footing I am worried we will run out of gas soon for guys to replace the Jordy's and Decker's. So I'm pinning a lot of hope on Jason A, Campanero and Janis and if there is a God Swope back into the fray. I think in my mind I would have liked to have seen 5 to 7 more productive white wideouts in the NFL so we are falling short. So the newer guys become real important along with the progress of guys like Durham and Beasley. I love Endelman who has to be one of the quickest shiftiest guys around.

Lugnut

Guru
To me this is the most important position and I don't want to see it go the way of cornerbacks and tailbacks. But I became ultra depressed when Ryan Swope dropped out due to head injuries and was disappointed the likes of Zach Rogers, Spadula and McGuffie were ignored and say Wylie never finding his footing I am worried we will run out of gas soon for guys to replace the Jordy's and Decker's. So I'm pinning a lot of hope on Jason A, Campanero and Janis and if there is a God Swope back into the fray. I think in my mind I would have liked to have seen 5 to 7 more productive white wideouts in the NFL so we are falling short. So the newer guys become real important along with the progress of guys like Durham and Beasley. I love Endelman who has to be one of the quickest shiftiest guys around.

I get what you're saying. Guys like Decker and Jordy are key to changing perceptions. More so than the likes of Welker.

If there is a God, Collie gets back in the fray. My optimism started with him.

bilde

Last edited:

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
Lugnut and Shadowlight,

the resurgence of the White wide receiver is exciting, especially when you consider how the position has eschewed White athletes for so long. you guys might find this thread to be an interesting read: the NFL without the Caste System.

it's from 2008 and documents many of the talented White wideouts who have been cast(e) aside over the years. there have been so many ...

Lugnut

Guru
Jordy was a beast as usual.

jordy_nelson_108869153.jpg

Jordy Nelson apparently had an upset stomach on Sunday during the 33-28 win over the Chicago Bears that sent the Packers to the playoffs.

Nelson caught a career-high 10 passes for 161 yards in the game at Soldier Field.

“He was throwing up on the bus afterwards,” Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers said Tuesday on his ESPN Milwaukee radio show. “It was kind of gross.”

Nelson made no mention of it after the game. In fact, one of the things he talked about was how pleased he was that he made it through all 16 games without any health problems after missing four games last season because of a hamstring injury.

In playing 96.5 percent of the Packers’ offensive snaps this season, Nelson led the team and established career highs for catches (85) and receiving yards (1,314).

“It’s been great just to play every game,” Nelson said after the regular-season finale. “The numbers will happen if you get to play 16 of them. Last year was a struggle for multiple reasons, I’ve never experienced that. This year has been great. I’ve been healthy, haven’t missed anything and knock on wood hopefully it stays that way. It’s been fun. It’s been up and down, though, but it’s been fun and it makes it that much more enjoyable now that we made the playoffs.”

Jordy got snubbed from the pro bowl. Cheesheads should be ashamed of themselves. And apparently, even DWFs think he should've been picked for the All-Pro team.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-nelson-quietly-became-top-three-nfl-receiver

Shadowlight

Master
I remember a lot of those guys

Lugnut and Shadowlight,

the resurgence of the White wide receiver is exciting, especially when you consider how the position has eschewed White athletes for so long. you guys might find this thread to be an interesting read: the NFL without the Caste System.

it's from 2008 and documents many of the talented White wideouts who have been cast(e) aside over the years. there have been so many ...

JC I followed many of those guys and was let down over and over again. Just want to say JC you have been a real important player here at caste- keep up the always great work!

Lugnut

Guru
hi-res-462116423-eric-decker-of-the-denver-broncos-drops-an-onside-kick_crop_north.jpg

it's all good since the team won, but Decker needs pull himself together. Some of these play were not befitting one of most explosive and smartest WR in the NFL.

Lugnut

Guru
Nick Williams representing on the Blackskins

nick-williams.jpg

Nick Williams, listed at 5-foot-10, 185 pounds on the roster, but likely a couple of inches shorter (and a lot lighter), first opened some eyes with a 37-inch vertical leap and then opened some more with a 4.56 40-yard dash at UConn's annual Pro Day on Wednesday afternoon at the Mark E. Shenkman Training Facility.

Along with Williams, NFL Combine participants Sio Moore, Trevardo Williams, Blidi Wreh-Wilson and Dwayne Gratz took part in individual and position drills as did 10 other seniors, including defensive end Ryan Wirth, wide receiver Michael Smith and tight ends Ryan Griffin and John Delahunt.
"There was definitely a little bit of pressure. There's obviously no tomorrow," Nick Williams said. "I think I tested out pretty well, got some decent feedback from some teams before this event ... and post. I might be short but I think I can bring a lot to an (NFL) team. I'm really quick, I can play a bunch of positions. I'm faster than I look. I can be a valuable asset to a team."
Williams will initially be looked at as a punt/kick returner and special teams performer -- most likely as a free agent -- but UConn head coach Paul Pasqualoni feels that he has potential to be a solid inside slot receiver, a la Wes Welker.

"What Nick brings is, he's got a way on punt returns and kick returns, he's got a way of really making plays," Pasqualoni said. "But I really think that he can play that inside slot receiver spot, he just hasn't had enough experience there yet. We just put him in there last year, but you can't do it all in a year. I think he's going to open some eyes and surprise people with his ability to return punts and kickoffs, and he will develop into being a good inside slot receiver."

Last edited:

Lugnut

Guru
Collie had a strong showing despite the loss

collie.jpg

Brady spoke highly of Collie, who is in the playoffs for the first time since the 2009 season, when the Colts lost to the Saints in Super Bowl XLIV.

“It’s been great. He came onto the roster late in the season and then worked away to find a role on the team and then got injured, which was unfortunate because he was really starting to come on,â€￾ Brady said. “Then he’s fought back to the point where now he’s a really trusted receiver on our team again. We had a lot of guys come in and out of that position, a lot of guys come in and out of that receiver spot.

Am I the only one who secretly hopes he gets a chance in a team other than the Patriots?

Westside

Hall of Famer
Collie had a strong showing despite the loss

collie.jpg

Brady spoke highly of Collie, who is in the playoffs for the first time since the 2009 season, when the Colts lost to the Saints in Super Bowl XLIV.

“It’s been great. He came onto the roster late in the season and then worked away to find a role on the team and then got injured, which was unfortunate because he was really starting to come on,â€￾ Brady said. “Then he’s fought back to the point where now he’s a really trusted receiver on our team again. We had a lot of guys come in and out of that position, a lot of guys come in and out of that receiver spot.

Am I the only one who secretly hopes he gets a chance in a team other than the Patriots?
A couple of other CFers are hoping the same. But NE with Brady calling the shots would be ideal.

Lugnut

Guru
Cooper getting paid. 5 yrs, $25 mill
Riley+Cooper+Philadelphia+Eagles+v+Oakland+tQL5gvdYp9Jl.jpg

Eagles head coach Chip Kelly on Cooper: "Riley is one of the toughest and hardest-working guys in our locker room. We talk a lot about how players have to make the most of their opportunities, and he did just that last year. He used his size, strength and speed to make a lot of big plays for our team and I'm excited to watch him build upon his success."

Eagles general manager Howie Roseman on Cooper: "Riley's a tough player who can not only go up and catch the football and make big plays, but who also takes a great amount of pride in his ability to block and be physical down the field. He made the most of his opportunities last year and we all expect him to build upon that. Riley wants to be an Eagle and expressed that several times to us throughout this process. We were very excited to get this done before the start of free agency."

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/n...ed-To-Be/827cc101-2899-4d5f-8bf0-2e5d74f7a7d6

Good news for Foles and Decker

Erik Lora pro day results:
Height 5-10 3/8
Weight 203lbs
40 times 4.49 and 4.53 seconds
Vertical Jump 36 inches
Broad jump 9'11
Short Shuttle 4.18 seconds
3-Cone Drill 7.03 seconds

Erik looked terrific in catching drills.

Alex Neutz
Height 6-2 1/4
Weight 214lbs
40 time 4.57 (NFL.com listed 4.63)
Broad Jump 9'9
Bench 14 reps

Alex suffered a hamstring injury that cut his pro day short.

Last edited:

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Thanks Spaniard. Both those guys should have been invited to the combine and should get drafted. Neutz is better than any other MAC WR coming out this year but has been totally disrespected during the pre draft process.

Lora is a wildcard, I think he has the obvious talent to play at the next level and the fact his QB is being viewed as a high round draft pick may give him some exposure as a guy who pops out on tape when teams were evaluating Jimmy G.

Jared Abbrederis decided to stand on his combine numbers which I don't entirely believe was a good idea, as he performed poorly in a few areas (bench and Vertical Jump).
Regardless, according to NFL.com; "He worked out great, having a pro day that was classified as “great.” One of the Oakland Raiders scouts on hand for the pro day threw passes to Abbrederis, who ran good routes, displayed good speed and caught the ball well."

Last edited:

Lugnut

Guru
Jared Abbrederis decided to stand on his combine numbers which I don't entirely believe was a good idea, as he performed poorly in a few areas (bench and Vertical Jump).
Regardless, according to NFL.com; "He worked out great, having a pro day that was classified as “great.â€￾ One of the Oakland Raiders scouts on hand for the pro day threw passes to Abbrederis, who ran good routes, displayed good speed and caught the ball well."

During the combine, commentators praised him for making minced meat out of one of the best CB prospects.

He's ''on the map''. Hope the Pack picks him up to replace Jones.

Lugnut

Guru
Thanks Spaniard. Both those guys should have been invited to the combine and should get drafted. Neutz is better than any other MAC WR coming out this year but has been totally disrespected during the pre draft process.

Lora is a wildcard, I think he has the obvious talent to play at the next level and the fact his QB is being viewed as a high round draft pick may give him some exposure as a guy who pops out on tape when teams were evaluating Jimmy G.

i have a feeling they'll get the Conner Vernon treatment.

dwid

Hall of Famer
Kind of ridiculous that Vernon got that treatment in the first place. I know the ACC is a weak conference, but when you look at the draft, outside of the SEC it has some of the most players drafted from it (probably because the racial make up is similar to the SEC), so the whole talent level thing didn't hold weight with Vernon.

the difference is, Vernon was on the map and had some dwfs confused, the other two are unknown by most.

Extra Point

Hall of Famer
Jordy finally getting some respect

e4afcbc12c76d4cc86d5f03a059bce19.jpg

Pro football focus rates him at 4th WR in the league and 39th overall player
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/05/16/the-pff-101-top-to-bottom/

Player opinion ranks him at 83rd overall in the League
http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2...elson-first-packers-voted-to-2014-nfl-top-100

Janis and Abbrederis couldn't have hoped for a better mentor.

I think the whole field of football metrics is very beneficial to white players.

Because it tries to be objective, based on statistics, white players are less likely to be subjected to the racial bias that often occurs when people are just giving their "opinions."

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
The 4th best receiver in the league should be ranked a lot higher than the 83rd best overall player in the league, but the players do the voting and it isn't surprising that so many White players get shortchanged every year when the NFL Network does its annual rundown of the top 100.

Upside

Mentor
The 4th best receiver in the league should be ranked a lot higher than the 83rd best overall player in the league, but the players do the voting and it isn't surprising that so many White players get shortchanged every year when the NFL Network does its annual rundown of the top 100.

Yeah, Jordy should be a lot higher. Decker and Welker should also make the list.

Lugnut

Guru
Cole Beasley making a name for himself in Dallas.

Cole+Beasley+St+Louis+Rams+v+Dallas+Cowboys+o7AKTEZ08nvl.jpg

“Typically when you’re a smaller receiver, you have to win by more,†coach Jason Garrett said. “And so how do you do that as an outside receiver? You outrun guys. I’m thinking about a deep ball down the field. You can beat a guy by a yard or two when you’re a smaller guy and he still kind of has you covered because he’s a bigger guy and as the ball is coming in, he has an equal chance to make a play on that ball. Bigger guys outside don’t have to win by as much because they can fight for that ball when it’s up in the air. That’s how his size hurts him.

“What helps him out there is his quickness, his change of direction. He’s a very good route runner, and he’s able to kind of create the space that he needs as an outside receiver a lot like he’s able to do inside. His change of direction is really pretty unique, and he has a real good feel. He’s very quarterback-friendly when he runs his routes. We’re trying to give him opportunities in a lot of different spots. He’s most natural playing inside, but he’s certainly not a non-factor as an outside receiver.â€

Beasley worked on the outside some in the offseason but most of his work was still from the slot. Wide receivers coach Derek Dooley said Beasley has expanded his route inventory. The Cowboys would like to move [FONT=verdana, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Dez [/FONT][FONT=verdana, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Bryant[/FONT] around more in 2014. In order to do that, they need Beasley to be able to handle the outside.

Lugnut

Guru
2014 season for white WRs as it is.

First, the bad news. 7 wide receivers got cut so far. At least 2 of them merited to be on a 53 man roster.

WR - Ryan Whalen
WR - Conner Vernon
WR - Weston Dressler
WR - Erik Lora
WR - Devon Wylie
WR - TJ Moe
WR - Andy Tanner

Jared Abbrederis was making big waves but got hurt, so he's out until next year and a few others like Jeremy Ebert, Alex Gillet and Bryan Walters are on the fence. But don't get your hopes up.

Now the good part. More white WRs are breaking the barrier.

We have 4(ish) Nr1./1000+ yard WRs representing

Jordy Nelson
Erick Decker
Brian Hartline(even if they don't wan't to admit it, he's Nr.1 in Miami)
Julian Edelman

Meanwhile...

Danny Amendola
Riley Cooper
Wes Welker

...will have 1000+ yard potential and will be acting WR Nr2s. Others like...

Griff Whalen
Cole Beasley
Khris Durnham
Dane Sanzenbacher

...will be major contributors to their respective teams... Also, newcomers and the so far ignored are making it harder and harder for coaches to ignore them if they want to win.

Adam Thielen
Jeff Janis (he's gonna be big)
Josh Lenz
Chris Hogan
Brenton Bersin
Nick Williams
Marc Marriani
Travis Labhart
Jeff Maehl

Will all make their teams and contribute.

that's 20-25 stable white WRs for next season. Overall, not bad, but could be a lot better.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I think you're being overly optimistic on how many of these guys will contribute and how many there will be overall, but with such doom and gloom a lot of the time around here there's nothing wrong with some positive thinking.