Tommy Zbikowski, S

backrow

Hall of Famer
in addition to drafting Tommy to be their number 3 safety, Ravens signed a very talented, yet discarded by the Bills, Jim Leonhard
smiley32.gif

warsteiner52

Ok, time to stop being delusional and realize that unless Ed Reed, the greatest Free Safety in the league and a lock for first ballot Hall of Famer, gets hit by a bus in the next 5 months these guys will not both be starters.

Van_Slyke_CF

Mentor
Warsteiner-I don`t think the guys are suggesting that either one of Tommy Z or Jim Leonhard is going to replace Ed Reed in the lineup.

They are just concerned that the numbers game might not leave a roster spot for Jim Leonhard. We know that Tommy Z is the real deal, but how many teams will allow two white guys to occupy roster spots as safeties?Edited by: Van_Slyke_CF

backrow

Hall of Famer
warsteiner52 said:
Ok, time to stop being delusional and realize that unless Ed Reed, the greatest Free Safety in the league and a lock for first ballot Hall of Famer, gets hit by a bus in the next 5 months these guys will not both be starters.

no sh*t Sherlock...
smiley36.gif

Freedom

Mentor
Safeties get sidelined frequently and many of them are on special teams. Zbikowski will be able to see some playing time even though it's with Baltimore.Edited by: Freedom

PhillyBirds

Mentor
Baltimore loves playing whites exclusively on special teams. See: Dan Cody, Jarrett Johnson.

I'm sure he will play special teams. At least.

EDIT: 100 posts!Edited by: PhillyBirds

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Congrats Guru PhillyBirds! I hope Tommy plays much more than special teams, but I'm sure you are correct that he will play on special teams.

backrow

Hall of Famer
PhillyBirds said:
Baltimore loves playing whites exclusively on special teams. See: Dan Cody, Jarrett Johnson.

I'm sure he will play special teams. At least.

EDIT: 100 posts!

Dan Cody has simply been injured and JJ was a starter last season... but yeah, they are hardly white friendly

Lot of talk that Harbaugh's background as ST coach is what prompted most of the DB drafting(esp Nakamura). But, they seem to like his attitude and toughness, and he might challenge Landry for starting time eventually.

G

And it begins. Ravens defensive coordinator Rex Ryan says Zbikowski is stiff, code for "not athletic enough to play".

SI article

The white douche who writes this column, a former NFL player, is a classic "I wasn't a good athlete, so no white guys are" type of corporate Yes man. He's always telling us why people are correct to bash white players. They all suck, after all.

devans

Mentor
Is this Rex Ryan any relation to Buddy?
The Buddy that ran Ricky Proehl out of Arizona.
Just a thought.

Rex(Baltimore)and Rob(Oakland)are Buddy's sons.

bigunreal

Mentor
Rotoworld, in a story about Zbikowski signing his contract, mentions that Rex Ryan commented on his "stiff hips" during early workouts. They noted that this "is never a good thing to hear about a safety."

The Ravens can add all the white defensive players they want. Buddy's boy will find a way to not play them. If Hank Stram was the very first true Caste-leaning coach, then Buddy Ryan represented the next step in the process.

It looked like Harbaugh would be a big improvement over Billick (who wouldn't?), but with Ryan controlling the defense (and therefore bound to keep it as black as possible) and the curious raves about mediocre Troy Smith, with the jock-sniffers in the press practically demanding that he be the opening game starter at QB (while at the same time denigrating Kyle Boller, who has become another Shuler-McNown type that they love to bash), I'm not so sure things will be much better.

makes you wonder why they drafted him at all
smiley5.gif

unless its an all out effort to keep the white athletes off the feild lest they show the caste sytstem up for what it is a shame and a fraud

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
I never got the impression from watching Zbikowski at all that he was stiff hipped. He's no Barry Sanders, but it seems that a white player has to have a Barry Sanders like change of direction skills to not be called stiff hipped. Whites have to do so much more to earn respect at taboo positions where they stand out as different.

Exaggeration for the Sports Performance of Negros (ESPN, excuse my rudeness but that is a good play on words) even found a way to call Sam McGuffie, Brandon Wegher and Mike Trumpy stiff hipped. These people are such caste whores they would even call a white Brian Westbrook "tight hipped"!
smiley11.gif

celticdb15

Hall of Famer

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
He has made a bigger impact than we have thought, Ryan has gone increasingly white these last couple of years. THe ravens would be a team to watch at least for me, if they had a white o-line!

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
updates on Tommy Z. and Leonhard from an article linked by Draft Daddy:

Zibby in the ring?<EM style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; FONT-STYLE: normal"> Tom Zbikowski [/i]had a nice rookie season for the Ravens, leading the team in solo special teams tackles and playing in special defensive packagesâ€â€￾but that doesn't make him any less appealing to boxing promoters.

In fact, <EM style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; FONT-STYLE: normal">Bob Arum [/i]wanted to sign the Arlington Heights native and Notre Dame alum to fight on a May 2 pay per view card from Las Vegas. Zbikowski, who has boxed professionally twice, had some interest in returning to the ring.

His motivation was to raise money and awareness for the ALS foundation. Zbikowski wanted to donate his purse to help find a cure for the disease. Ravens director of player programs <EM style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; FONT-STYLE: normal">O.J. Brigance [/i]is afflicted with ALS, also known as Lou Gehrig's disease.

"I didn't want to get taken away from football but only thought about it because it was an opportunity to raise money for ALS," Zbikowski said. "O.J. puts a smile on my face every day. He always has some words of wisdom. I wanted to give something to a cause that doesn't get a lot of attention."

Zbikowski even was prepared to refund his signing bonus if he was injured in the ring. But eventually he and the Ravens thought it best that he concentrate on football.

Zbikowski has a chance to start in his second season, as Ravens strong safety <EM style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; FONT-STYLE: normal">Jim Leonhard [/i]is a free agent who is unlikely to re-sign with the team. That leaves Zbikowski competing for the job with former starter <EM style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; FONT-STYLE: normal">Dawan Landry [/i]and <EM style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; FONT-STYLE: normal">Haruki Nakamura.[/i]

The Ravens have a new defensive coordinator, but he isn't new to Zbikowski. <EM style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; FONT-STYLE: normal">Greg Mattison [/i]also was defensive coordinator at Notre Dame for part of Zbikowski's time in South Bend, and he recruited him when Zbikowski was at Buffalo Grove High School.

"In college he was always hard on me and he held me to a high standard," Zbikowski said. "I'm looking forward to playing in his defense."

Along with his father <EM style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; FONT-STYLE: normal">Ed, [/i]Zbikowski also has been busy running his new businessâ€â€￾Tommy Z's PureSpeed Sports Clinic in Palatine. The clinic trains athletes the way Zbikowski trained for the combine in 2008, where he ran a 4.44 40-yard dash and established himself as a third-round draft prospect.

Notre Dame offensive tackle <EM style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; FONT-STYLE: normal">Mike Turkovich [/i]and Winona State tight end <EM style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; FONT-STYLE: normal">Todd Burkoth [/i]are preparing for their pro days there, but Zbikowski says the clinic mostly is geared toward high school and middle-school athletes.

[url]http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/chi-22-p ompei-inside-nflfeb22,0,5401876.column [/url]

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Let's hope Tommy Z replaces the ridiculously over-rated and perpetually injured Ed Reed. From Rotoworld:
Ravens S Tom Zbikowski looked "quicker and smoother" in drills at last weekend's minicamp, according to the Baltimore Sun. Already an excellent special teamer, Zbikowski is emerging as one of the top third safeties in the league. He started in place of an injured Ed Reed down the stretch last season and would be called upon again if Reed's hip issue lingers. Zbikowski may also give Dawan Landry a push at strong safety.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Finally some good news for a change. From Rotoworld:

pixel.gif

While Ed Reed recovers from offseason hip surgery, Tom Zbikowski is the
early favorite to replace Reed as the Ravens' starting free safety.
<div ="s_pNewsTextMain"> Baltimore secondary coach Chuck Pagano
describes the former Notre Dame star as a "steely-eyed assassin", and
raves about his improved quickness and understanding of the defense in
passing camp. Based on the glowing praise from Zbikowski's coaches
coupled with a rigorous plyometrics training regimen during the
offseason, we're expecting big improvement from Zbikowski in 2010.

Zbikowski got a lot of press and was considered a starting safety in the NFL his junior year in college but all of a sudden was called "overrated" his senior season. Hopefully he can start more than 4 games this season.
</div>

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
Can't wait to see Tommy Z get a chance to start this year! Hopefully he can open up some eyes around the league and showcase his talents.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Ed Reed had been making noises earlier in the offseason about retiring so hopefully he will but I doubt it.

Tommy needs to make some of his patented big plays because no matter how steady and productive White defensive players are, the DWFs assume they suck unless they make highlight reel plays. Reed is the ultimate example of that, a non-tackler who waits aroundto take advantage oferrant passes and badly run routes. Only a black safety can make a puny40 tackles yet still be proclaimed a superstar because he intercepts 5 or 6 passes a season.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Tommy is pro boxer and hasvery nicespeed and size, is a very good kick returnerand has always demonstrated big play ability yetsomehow isn't athletic, but thankfully he's a hard worker and a true professional (pass the Boy Scout cookies). He pales in comparison [pun intended] to the perpetually injured but still great Ed Reed, whose m.o. on the increasingly rare occasions when he's healthy enough to playis to eschew such minor annoyances as tackling in favor of hanging out 10 yards behind receivers and intercepting overthrown balls.

<DIV ="post-line">
<H1>Ravens Roster Countdown- #28 Tom Zbikowski</H1>
<DIV ="post-byline">By Sadler, on September 1st, 2010
<DIV ="post-copy clearfix">

Position: Strong Safety
Height/Weight: 5'11"³/215 lbs.
College: Notre Dame

Analysis: Toughness is what comes to most people's minds when thinking about Tom Zbikowski. He is a fighter. He plays all out to the point of being borderline reckless. He's the man. He also plays behind the great Ed Reed. At times, it is easy to wonder if there is a great talent wasting away on the bench. And then you remember that it is Zbi and he finds other ways to contribute. Truth is that we had some good opportunities to see the way Zbi plays strong safety in 2009 when Ed Reed wasn't able to contribute. There were a couple noticeable differences. 1) He does not have the range or athleticism of Reed 2) He is much more disciplined than Reed. So while Zbi wasn't awesome, he was very effective.

2010 Outlook: This guy should have plenty of playing time. Reed will play this year but he will also spend a few games on the sideline. It will be up to the backups to make up the difference. The big question is whether it will be Zbi or Hamlin filling in for Reed. Zbi has also been fielding punts during the preseason and been doing a pretty good job with it. He is a hard worker and a true professional. Tom Zbikowski will make himself know in 2010, one way or another. Edited by: Don Wassall