Toby Gerhart

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I think losing some weight is a very good idea. With all the ridiculous emphasis placed on 40 times, not coincidentally that seems to be the one slight black advantagein Combine skills, it's in Gerhart's interest to do whatever it takes to run the fastest 40 time he can. Anything over 4.59 and he's most likely screwed in the NFL. He's most likely screwed anyway, but for now I'll continue to hope he's the first exception in nearly 40 years (John Riggins was drafted back in 1971).

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Losing some weight could be very good for Toby but then he will lose some strength as well.  Several draft sites are already saying he will be an H-back in the NFL.  

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
I don't see a downside to Toby coming into the combine 5-10 pounds less. I seriously doubt that it would affect his squat or bench numbers, but it would positively affect his speed, quickness, and leaping"stats". The only place it would be noted is on the field, and there is no hitting at the combine:)

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
He weighs 237 now? If he comes in at a solid 225-230 he will be fine. Don't worry guys he has plenty of professionals(pre draft camps)who will be telling him the same info when he prepares for the draft!!

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Yeah, I see Toby as being smart enough to trim himself down a bit before the Combine. Right now I'm more concerned about him getting decent blocking Saturday against USC. I want to see him dominate and Stanford win.

Colonel_Reb said:
Yeah, I see Toby as being smart enough to trim himself down a bit before the Combine. Right now I'm more concerned about him getting decent blocking Saturday against USC. I want to see him dominate and Stanford win. 

As do I! I'm truly hoping for a humongous game against Notre Dame. I want Charlie Weiss to see another white RB put up huge yardage against him. You never know how such events occurring in the same season could change someone's perception. Against ND I hope he has 3 80+ yard TDs, 5 rushing TDs total, 1 receiving TD, and racks up a D1 single game rushing record of 407 yards! If he does that you can lock up the Heisman for Gerhart!

More great articles keep rolling out for Gerhart, this one having some notable points:

November 13, 2009 1:37 PM
USC hopes Stanford's Gerhart hits pothole
By MICHAEL LEV
THE ORANGE COUNTY REGISTER

"LOS ANGELES â€" Pete Carroll was talking about Stanford tailback Toby Gerhart the other day, and the USC coach compared him to Jerome Bettis, a.k.a. "The Bus."

Only Gerhart's faster.
Stanford running back Toby Gerhart leads the Pac-10 with an average of 135.2 rushing yards per game, and he leads the nation with an average of 25.9 carries.

So what does that make him then? An 18-wheeler thundering down a mountain?

Whatever nickname you choose â€" Tank? Freight Train? Monster Truck? â€" the point is this:

The 6-foot-1, 235-pound senior is coming, and he's coming downhill, and if you don't put up a sturdy roadblock, he'll run right over you.

Slowing down the nation's second-leading rusher is the Trojans' primary mission when they play host to the Cardinal on Saturday."

"WOULD-BE TROJAN

Kennard & Co. could have been butting helmets with Gerhart in practice if things had worked out differently.

Gerhart is from Norco, and USC recruited him. Despite Gerhart breaking the California high school rushing record, Carroll and his staff envisioned him playing another position. "We thought of him as a first-rounder as a fullback," said Carroll, who now concedes that assessment was too limiting.

Gerhart wanted to play tailback, as well as baseball, and he has been quoted as saying USC wouldn't let him do the latter. Carroll denies that.

"I've never told anybody they couldn't play baseball," he said."

Read the rest here:
http://www.ocregister.com/sports/gerhart-219298-usc-carroll.html

Westside

Hall of Famer
Just like Toby told Carroll that he wanted to play only tailback, he must do the same with the NFL period! Carroll is back pedalling, he is part of the what is wrong with major college ball and NFL.

If Toby had like 400 yards and 300 carries, and Stanford was like 1 and 6, Carroll would be say, "yeah, I saw him as a fullback, but I don't know what Stanford was thinking by letting him run the ball." F Carroll.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Electric Slide said:
Colonel_Reb said:

As do I! I'm truly hoping for a humongous game against Notre Dame. I want Charlie Weiss to see another white RB put up huge yardage against him. You never know how such events occurring in the same season could change someone's perception. Against ND I hope he has 3 80+ yard TDs, 5 rushing TDs total, 1 receiving TD, and racks up a D1 single game rushing record of 407 yards! If he does that you can lock up the Heisman for Gerhart!

Your post made me think of a wrestler back in the glory days of Memphis Wrestling. His name was Lord Humongous.
smiley36.gif

I must say those are quite lofty and specific stats, Electric, but I share your enthusiasm in wanting to see Toby do as much as possible this year. I hope he has huge games against both USC and Notre Dame. That kind of national exposure would do wonders, not just for Toby, but in exposing the Caste System to a few more slowly sobering white fans. A ton of people across the country watch Notre Dame games, so that would be a great showcase platform.

USC can't tackle him.He's amazing. I'm currently watching toby, Tebow and Sharpe. Pretty good 3:30 lineup. Supposed to be somewhere at 5. think I might have to be fashionably late.

kre08

Guru
It's on fox sports but the announcer just commented on the fact that, "frankly, Allen Bradford is a lot faster than Toby Gerhart". This can be evidenced by Bradfords 4.54 40 time from rivals and Toby's 4.48.

G

Yeah the caste beotch announcing this pronounced some SC back as like Toby but "much faster."But I'm glad I can watch this, Toby is good.

Westside

Hall of Famer
Another Toby td!!!

Westside

Hall of Famer
Toby leads nation with 18 TDs. One of the dufus announcers and gilded sniffer is Papadonka.

Westside

Hall of Famer
70 yds and two TDs thus far. 21 to 7 Stanford

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
We'll let the nation and the whole west coast decide who the faster and better back is. Right now there is no player more important to his team than Toby Gerhart hands down. The way Stanford is playing I could see ES prediction on 5 tds coming true!

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
Toby has been amazing this game thus far, but the stupid announcers always find ways to trash Stanford. What kre08 said, the annoucner called Bradford faster than Gerhart. Also, he said that Stanford is far less athletic than their Trojan counterparts. Frankly, looking at the score, I don't see how USC is more athletic at this point.

Westside

Hall of Famer
2nd half coming up. If Stanford can get a score quick. I think Stanford will start grinding SC with the running game. Toby should get at least another 70 yds and a couple of TDs. Grand total hopefully: 140 yrds and 4 TDs.

Westside

Hall of Famer
That announcer is Papadonkis. The last starting white TB for SC. I find that hard to believe. He is really annoying.