Toby Gerhart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Extra Point

Hall of Famer
Gerhart's problem last year was he was injured (ankle) for much of the year. If he stays healthy he will likely be the Jaguars best running back.

Last edited:

newguy

Guru
I hope he gets a fair shot at the starting role. I was really disappointed last year to see him have such a mediocre season. I think that hurt the few white draft able running backs this year. If he had a really good year it might have opened some eyes.
I think he has a major uphill battle to overcome. The fans will not be in his corner they will be calling for Robinson or Yeldon to start. If by some miracle Toby does get to start he can't afford another slow start this year or he is done. He needs to have a monster game right from the start and stay injury free.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
I hope he gets a fair shot at the starting role. I was really disappointed last year to see him have such a mediocre season. I think that hurt the few white draft able running backs this year. If he had a really good year it might have opened some eyes.
I think he has a major uphill battle to overcome. The fans will not be in his corner they will be calling for Robinson or Yeldon to start. If by some miracle Toby does get to start he can't afford another slow start this year or he is done. He needs to have a monster game right from the start and stay injury free.

What exactly does this T.J Yeldon guy have that Gerhart doesn't? Gerhart ran a 4.50 and Yeldon a 4.61. Gerhart had the better three cone drill and vertical. So Gerhart is clearly the better athlete yet they describe this Yeldon clown as the Messiah of the Jaguars.

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
What exactly does this T.J Yeldon guy have that Gerhart doesn't? Gerhart ran a 4.50 and Yeldon a 4.61. Gerhart had the better three cone drill and vertical. So Gerhart is clearly the better athlete yet they describe this Yeldon clown as the Messiah of the Jaguars.

Yeldon has the mythical black qualities of "wiggle" and "burst" in addition to the obligatory room-brightening smile. He also "looks" like a running back to long-conditioned DWFs, and this bias makes him "look" faster. Not to mention that he is loaded with our favorite description, "upside".

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Yeldon has the mythical black qualities of "wiggle" and "burst" in addition to the obligatory room-brightening smile. He also "looks" like a running back to long-conditioned DWFs, and this bias makes him "look" faster. Not to mention that he is loaded with our favorite description, "upside".

Yep. Gerhart is the slower back in the DWF's eyes despite clear evidence that he is actually the faster guy.

Upside

Mentor
I know we've seen it time and time again, so it's hard to be positive, but I really feel Gerhart is going to get another shot at starting. I see Rotoworld has already anointed Yeldon the starting job, and Robinson the backup, and to be sure, Jacksonville is going to give those two every opportunity to start, but lets be honest, Gerhart is still clearly the best RB on the roster right now, and he's getting paid starter money.

Looking at it objectively, Robinson proved last season that he can make some things happen, but he's clearly not starting caliber. Furthermore, unless that line has seriously improved, if Robinson gets any significant carries, he'll be injured by week 3. He's a backup. Period.

Storm Johnson and Bernard Pierce pose no real threat to take carries away from anyone.

Yeldon to me, is nothing more than just another name on the long list of overhyped Alabama RB's just ripe to bust.

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
I know we've seen it time and time again, so it's hard to be positive, but I really feel Gerhart is going to get another shot at starting. I see Rotoworld has already anointed Yeldon the starting job, and Robinson the backup, and to be sure, Jacksonville is going to give those two every opportunity to start, but lets be honest, Gerhart is still clearly the best RB on the roster right now, and he's getting paid starter money.

Looking at it objectively, Robinson proved last season that he can make some things happen, but he's clearly not starting caliber. Furthermore, unless that line has seriously improved, if Robinson gets any significant carries, he'll be injured by week 3. He's a backup. Period.

Storm Johnson and Bernard Pierce pose no real threat to take carries away from anyone.

Yeldon to me, is nothing more than just another name on the long list of overhyped Alabama RB's just ripe to bust.

Toby is his own worse enemy. If he can stay healthy I do agree he is the best RB on the roster. I question Robinson durability and toughness he has a slight build. Yeldon is a toss up. best case scneraio he's Eddie Lacy worst case he's ultra bust Trent Richardson. Pierce has been a career backup and I'm pretty sure Johnson ran a 4.7 coming out of college. Amazing how average blacks can stick around in the NFL.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I have a feeling also that Gerhart will get a chance at some point this season. Yeldon doesn't impress me much; I remember how Trent Richardson was touted as the best running back to come out of college since Adrian Peterson and look how that turned out. Just have a feeling that Yeldon will get injured or that Gerhart will clearly be so much better than him that he'll have to be fed the ball more as the season goes on.

As often said, Gerhart has hurt himself by getting nicked up so much. But Jacksonville didn't help him any with last year's scheme, which sent Toby running outside too much rather than through the tackles, and the o-line was terrible anyway. The line should be better this year and so should Bortles. Allen Robinson looks like a solid number one receiver and Julius Thomas is a big upgrade at TE. The Jags may finally take steps from being a bottom feeder in 2015 and hopefully Gerhart is a part of it.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
I hope Toby can stay healthy and survives the white purge. The Jaguars have been doing their best to push him off the roster. Their team is beginning to resemble the black jack Del rio versions of the team.

Extra Point

Hall of Famer
I hope Toby can stay healthy and survives the white purge. The Jaguars have been doing their best to push him off the roster. Their team is beginning to resemble the black jack Del rio versions of the team.

Toby's problem is that he's been nicked up. When he's healthy he is a quality starting running back.

Its hard for me to overstate how much I want to see Toby and Danny Woodhead continue to succeed in the NFL, along with white newcomers Zach Zenner, Tyler Varga and others. For me hardly anything else matters. I used to watch games just to see Toby, Danny, Peyton Hillis, Brian Leonard and Jacob Hester on the field and to see what they would do. What happened to these guys and what's happening now to Rex Burkhead is disheartening.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I read an article about the Jaguars today and it doesn't look good for Toby. The article said that he is now 3rd or 4th on the depth chart. So they gave him alot of money and now they want to burry him because injuries slowed him down last year. What a joke. Hope he finds a way to get alot of playing time. He deserves to be the starter!

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
I read an article about the Jaguars today and it doesn't look good for Toby. The article said that he is now 3rd or 4th on the depth chart. So they gave him alot of money and now they want to burry him because injuries slowed him down last year. What a joke. Hope he finds a way to get alot of playing time. He deserves to be the starter!
Ourlads still has him as second on the depth chart.

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
The Jaguars first "unofficial" depth chart in advance of the opening pre-season game has Toby behind the two "co-starters" TJ Yeldon and Dunnard Robinson. http://www.jaguars.com/team/depth-chart.html

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Another example of Profootballtalk's tactics this time aimed at Toby:

Now a backup, Toby Gerhart tries to move on from last year
Posted by Michael David Smith on August 15, 2015, 11:59 AM EDT
Indianapolis Colts v Jacksonville Jaguars Getty Images

Toby Gerhart was a huge disappointment in free agency last year. After signing a three-year, $10.5 million contract with the Jaguars, Gerhart averaged just 3.2 yards a carry and lost his spot in the starting lineup.

This year, Gerhart says, it’s time to move on.

“Last year is in the past,’’ Gerhart said. “All that matters is what you do recently. That’s what I am looking forward to.’’

In last night’s preseason debut, Gerhart managed 13 yards on four carries, plus 30 yards on two catches. That’s not bad, and showing that he can make plays in the passing game may be enough for Gerhart to earn a roster spot.

But if he makes the roster, it will be as a backup. Rookie second-round pick T.J. Yeldon is expected to be the starter, but with Yeldon out with an injury last night, the starting nod went to Denard Robinson. Gerhart is competing with Storm Johnson and Bernard Pierce for the third-string job. That’s a far cry from where the Jaguars thought Gerhart would be when they signed him.

Another joke of an article not giving all the facts, just glossing over the truth to make it seem that his 2014 season was due to his lack of ability and not the fact he was injured in the first game. The article makes no mention of the fact he was injured in the 1st game of the season and never got back to being 100%.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Besides his injury problems, Gerhart was running for a team with a rookie QB, rookie receivers, and an o-line that couldn't open up running lanes for him.

He looked strong last night. He had a 9 or 10 yard run that was called back on a penalty; on his other runs he bulldozed into the line and drove defenders back several yards.

I have a feeling that the rookie Yeldon will either not be very good (especially in pass protection) or will get injured, and Toby will get a chance to redeem himself this season. But first and foremost he has to stay healthy.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Besides his injury problems, Gerhart was running for a team with a rookie QB, rookie receivers, and an o-line that couldn't open up running lanes for him.

He looked strong last night. He had a 9 or 10 yard run that was called back on a penalty; on his other runs he bulldozed into the line and drove defenders back several yards.

I have a feeling that the rookie Yeldon will either not be very good (especially in pass protection) or will get injured, and Toby will get a chance to redeem himself this season. But first and foremost he has to stay healthy.

Do we have any confirmation as to if he's second on the depth chart or third on the depth chart behind Robinson as well? This Yeldon is no star. All of his combine numbers are worse than Gerharts.

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
Do we have any confirmation as to if he's second on the depth chart or third on the depth chart behind Robinson as well? This Yeldon is no star. All of his combine numbers are worse than Gerharts.
The Jaguars team website shows Gerhart "2nd" on the depth chart behind "co-starters" Yeldon and Duhnard.

PHillisFan

Master
Yeldon's status in limbo, it might be Toby's job for the taking. Toby has shown so far to be the better receiving back so if anything that will get him more playing time over Duh-nard.

PHillisFan

Master
It looks like Toby is ready to go this week vs Patriots. Hopefully he outplays Yeldon.

Westside

Hall of Famer
If there is a game and date to capitalize, this Sunday Toby needs to capitalize big time.

Status
Not open for further replies.