Toby Gerhart

Status
Not open for further replies.

PamelaOC

Banned
There will be a lot riding on Toby's shoulders this season. Every carry is gong to matter. His performance will be a proxy audition for white kids trying to make their way through the caste system.

Can't wait for the moment when Toby breaks into the secondary and it's just some greyhound cornerback between him and the endzone.

That will be fun to watch.

It's sad that it's come to this. Are the people in power so insecure that even, say, 25% of NFL running backs being white threatens them?

Yes.

Extra Point

Hall of Famer
Gerhart has 4 years of pro experience and very little wear and tear on his body. He's very talented.

Gerhart is primed to step in and prove himself to be one of the best running backs in the league. He's going to make his critics look silly.

Wes Woodhead

Mentor
Good news for now

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000366227/article/toby-gerhart-will-be-workhorse-for-jaguars

Workhorse should be more than 12 to 15 touches

. The Jaguars staff has confirmed Gerhart isn't going to be part of some committee. He's playing every down.

Thats outstanding! I have to admimt though that Ill not believe it till I see it. Toby will be held under the most powerful microscope of all NFL player except Manziel. If he dosent average 5 yards a carry they will bench him.

Woody

Guru
Did a little investigation using Ourlads depth charts and the official combine stats website - Gerhart's 4.5 40 puts him 19th among starting running backs (in other words, he's faster than 13 starting RBs). There were around 8 running backs who were within .05 seconds faster than Gerhart so I would argue there are only around 10 starting running backs who are truly "faster" than Gerhart.

Among those he's faster than are Arian Foster, LeSean McCoy, and Alfred Morris, all of whom are perennial 1,000 yard rushers and pro bowlers. Foster and Morris ran 4.7 40s yet this doesn't seem to have had any effect on their performance. When will fans and coaches realize that 40 time at the RB position is useless for gauging future success, and within the 4.4 to 4.7 range there is no clear difference in ability?

Will post the list if ppl are interested, don't have much time now and don't know if I'll just be wasting my time.

Jacksonville's offensive line is terrible. Gerhart is not going to do well and as I mentioned in another post he will take the blame as he is a " WHITE " running back.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Here's yet another favorable Gerhart article -- perhaps the best yet.

Toby Gerhart's Speed Will Surprise the NFL—as Will the Jaguars, Eventually

Let's get the obvious out of the way on Toby Gerhart, shall we?

"Toby has always been a good running back in this league," said one NFC team executive. "He'll help that Jacksonville team. He'll make them better. He's always been better than some people perceived. If he were black, you f-----s (in the media) would be talking about how good he is."

So, there's that.

Gerhart's had plenty of nice things written and said about him in the media. People realize how good he can be. Yet I do believe Gerhart has been overlooked at times—by both the media and people in the league itself—because it's been assumed he's just a slow, non-evasive plodder who can't do more than batter and bruise.

Backing up a legend like Adrian Peterson understandably stunted his ability to produce and, as a result, limited his reputation with the average fan. That said, personnel men are in love with Gerhart.

I can't find a single scout who believes Jacksonville signing him to a three-year, $10.5 million deal was a bad move. The general feeling around football is that Gerhart will have a big year. Still, those same personnel men raving about him now had opportunities to perhaps trade for Gerhart but never did. So while they praise Gerhart, they could have had him but didn't make the move.

There is definitely something to the media undervaluing Gerhart overall and his speed specifically. For what it's worth, he ran a 4.50-second 40-yard dash at the NFL scouting combine. He also had a 38-inch vertical leap.

I'm not saying he's Eric Dickerson. But I saw one recent article, from NFL.com's Marc Sessler, describe Gerhart as possessing "sneaky wheels." That's code for he's fly for a white guy.

full article: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...rprise-the-nfl-as-will-the-jaguars-eventually

TwentyTwo

Master
Training Camp report on ESPiN just said they expect to see Gerhart get 20-25 touches per game(17-19 carries/3-5 receptions).

Appearing on NFL Insiders Friday, ESPN's Michael DiRocco stated the Jaguars will aim for 20-25 touches per game for Toby Gerhart. "They want him to be the workhorse back ... get 20-25 touches," DiRocco stated. DiRocco confirmed Gerhart will be involved in both the pass and run games as a true three-down back. Gerhart's ADP is currently in the late third round. Jul 25 - 3:37 PM

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5730/toby-gerhart/1

Gerhart's bowling ball run last season vs the Ravens was epic! The LBers looked like they were in wet cement with Toby's explosive burst!

No doubt the O-Line will be key...LT Luke Joeckel & newly acquired LG Zane Beadles should make a formidable left side...the other three spots are up for grabs...Meester(Center) retired..Hopefully Mike Brewster is ready to take over. they got rid of some flubber(Nwaneri;Rackley;Monroe). Austin Pasztor played well at RT after Monroe was traded....so there is some hope! Brandon Linder drafted in 3rd Round looks to start at RG as a rookie.

l personally think Gerhart beats Alfred Morris in a 40 race...would hope McCoy is faster being about 25 pounds lighter

Last edited:

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
Don, that was a very good Toby article and I couldn't help notice who it was written by. Former cbs sports writer, Mike Freeman.

mikefreeman.png

Freeman frequently wrote articles for cbs proclaiming racism against black athletes. I recall he constantly went to bat for black quarterbacks as well. I used to enjoy reading the comment section below his pieces as the aware posters and quasi-DWFs would call him out for his racist and race baiting nonsense. I'm not sure if some of the back lash caused cbs to let him go or if he took more money to work for bleacher report (if that is possible?).

Anyway, maybe it's time for me to temporarily bury the hatchet and give credit where it's deserved. Maybe Freeman's just well versed in writing race-victim in sports articles? This would be one of the only times he's been spot on however.

PamelaOC

Banned
With Freeman, I'm thinking the broken clock applies here.

TwentyTwo

Master
That was a nice article Don! Hillis broke the 1,000 yard barrier back in 2010 (first white RB in 25 years)...& could be on the verge of seeing another in 2014!

Here is some more props for Gerhart for Fantasy Football Leagues...

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/fanta...for-romo-is-downright-baffling-204944557.html

Toby Gerhart, Jac, RB (Yahoo ADP: 74.6, Calculator ADP: 34.9, Mean: 54.7)

Many will consider him overvalued, but Jacksonville’s battering ram is ready to bust through castle gates, defensive lines. Stereotypes about the rusher are not applicable. He’s a three-down workhorse who, in an expanded role, could resemble vintage Steven Jackson. Recall in six career starts with the Vikings he averaged 4.5 yards per carry and 91.3 total yards per game. And during his four-year residence in Minnesota, he also gained 59.7 percent of his yards after contact. Stoutly built, tender-handed, excellent in pass protection and an effective inside runner, he is slated to shoulder an obscene load. Coaches and Jags insiders have reiterated the organization’s desire to feed him 20-25 touches per game. The club’s inexperience at WR outside an already hamstrung Cecil Shorts is unsettling, but it should be much improved defensively, which lends to a heavy dose of Gerhart. It’s conceivable you could land the league leader in carries somewhere in Rounds 4-6 in Yahoo leagues.

Fearless Forecast: 284 carries, 1,172 rushing yards, 41 receptions, 335 receiving yards, 7 total touchdowns

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
22, ill go 1200rush 450receiving and at least 12 total tds. Toby's more than capable to put up great numbers if given the carries. If he can stay healthy I believe he can do big things!

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I am pumped to see Toby play this Thursday Night on tv. He is healthy and he needs these final two preseason games to get some game time experience with the Jags heading into the regular season. I will predict that Gerhart rushes for around 1100 yards this season. I think many teams will stack the line to try and slow down their best offensive option. Bortles will have to prove that he is a legitimate option at qb. I think Bortles will be good in team but he is a rookie. This could be a very fun team to watch if Bortles can progress quickly.

Good luck to Toby Gerhart this year. I will be a huge Jags fan because of him. Can you just imagine if they would have signed Tebow too? Those two guys would have a field day running the ball. Bortles has descent wheels though and a good arm. Let's go Jags!

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
THE MOST IMPORTANT THING for Toby Gerhart is not to get injured.
If he can stay healthy I'm sure he will have a good to very good season.

Riggins44

Master
I just downloaded a fantasy football cheat sheet. Among RBs, Gerhart is ranked just below Trent Richardson. Richardson is #21 and Toby is #22. Unf***ingbelievable. Richardson is already a complete, 100% BUST.

Avg YPC last year: Gerhart = 7.9, Richardson = 2.9 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What are the chances that Toby finishes the season with more rushing yards and TDs than Richardson? 90%? 95%?

icsept

Master
I noticed Toby is wearing #21 this year. Makes him look faster. Also, I didn't realize his real name is "Tobinbo".

Extra Point

Hall of Famer
I just downloaded a fantasy football cheat sheet. Among RBs, Gerhart is ranked just below Trent Richardson. Richardson is #21 and Toby is #22. Unf***ingbelievable. Richardson is already a complete, 100% BUST.

Avg YPC last year: Gerhart = 7.9, Richardson = 2.9 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, it's ridiculous. Richardson has had two years of opportunity and has proven that he's not very good.

Gerhart, on the other hand, has played well whenever he's had the opportunity.

What are the chances that Toby finishes the season with more rushing yards and TDs than Richardson? 90%? 95%?

Barring the possibility of injury. it would be 100%. Gerhart is clearly a better player than Richardson.

MrPoon

Mentor
Wish he went to New England. IT all depends on the O-line.

Yes, it's ridiculous. Richardson has had two years of opportunity and has proven that he's not very good.

Gerhart, on the other hand, has played well whenever he's had the opportunity.

Barring the possibility of injury. it would be 100%. Gerhart is clearly a better player than Richardson.

TwentyTwo

Master
Don't get me wrong...I am happy Gerhart finally left the Vikings & is getting the opportunity as the feature back with another team(Jaguars)....Irony is Richardson is with the Colts...when it really should be Gerhart with the playoff contending Colts instead + ex college team mates Andrew Luck & Colby Fleener.

Gerhart is a better fit for the Colts than the plodding Richardson!

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Who cares if the line isn't opening holes, the receivers are all rookies or injured and the QB's a rookie, the honky running back must perform immediately or else. Note the use of the words "fed up" as if Toby's a malcontent:

Toby Gerhart played on just 10-of-57 snaps in Sunday's Week 5 loss to the Steelers. The Florida Times Union says it "sure seems like" the Jags are already fed up with Gerhart, who is now averaging 2.56 YPC with one touchdown on 48 rushes this season. His weekly snap count has gone from 48 to 35 to 30 to 20 to 10. Gerhart will not be a realistic fantasy option at Tennessee in Week 6.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
What a joke. I hope Toby is able to turn it around and show how talented he is. Maybe he has a nagging injury and needs to get healthy. The racial double standard is ridiculous.

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
What a joke. I hope Toby is able to turn it around and show how talented he is. Maybe he has a nagging injury and needs to get healthy. The racial double standard is ridiculous.
So far, Toby is only averaging a little over 2 1/2 YPC. Duhnard is averaging 3.1 YPC. The runningblack that all of the DWFs are now fawning over, Storm Johnson, averaged 2.3 YPC on three of his carries, and then had a 20 yarder which showcases his "upside" and "potential". Even if he never runs over 3 yards again, they will always remember his "electrifying" 20 yarder and give him endless chances. Kinda like that runningblack that essentially ended Brian Leonard's career.

Extra Point

Hall of Famer
So far, Toby is only averaging a little over 2 1/2 YPC. Duhnard is averaging 3.1 YPC. The runningblack that all of the DWFs are now fawning over, Storm Johnson, averaged 2.3 YPC on three of his carries, and then had a 20 yarder which showcases his "upside" and "potential". Even if he never runs over 3 yards again, they will always remember his "electrifying" 20 yarder and give him endless chances. Kinda like that runningblack that essentially ended Brian Leonard's career.

Gerhart is playing on a bad ankle on a bad team.

Once his ankle heals up he should do much better.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
The hive has unanimously anointed Denard Robinson the permanent feature back based on one good game. But it ain't over till it's over.

The Jacksonville o-line looked like it was coming off the line strong and opening up some holes last week for the first time, which is what any running back needs, no matter how talented.

Healthy Gerhart could put squeeze on Jaguars RB Robinson

by Marty Gitlin | CBSSports.com

Thu, 23 Oct 2014 10:30 AM ET

Jaguars running back Toby Gerhart appears on the verge of returning to game action after missing the last two weeks with a foot sprain. He practiced on a limited basis Wednesday.

"He said he felt pretty good," Gus Bradley told the Florida Times-Union. "I think the last two weeks have been tough on him, but today he felt a lot better and felt like it was beneficial to have that time off."

Now it must be determined if he's still the featured back. He managed a 2.6 YPC average in 48 attempts before going down. Meanwhile, Denard Robinson emerged in Week 7 to rush for 127 yards on just 22 carries in the team's first victory of the season, a lopsided defeat of Cleveland.

"I think we'll continue to mix and match a little bit," said offensive coordinator Jeff Fisch. "I don't exactly how that will all play out yet."

The Jaguars host Miami on Sunday.

http://fantasynews.cbssports.com/fa...hart-could-put-squeeze-on-jaguars-rb-robinson

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
Let's hope so....

ESPN Jaguars reporter Mike DiRocco suggests Toby Gerhart may be ready to share more of the workload in the backfield moving forward.

Gerhart is coming off his best game of the season when he piled up 68 total yards on five touches against the Bengals. And DiRocco says "word out of London" is that Gerhart appears to be back healthy and "running angry." Denard Robinson has handled 60 touches the past three games, so it's conceivable the Jaguars may want to press the brakes a bit on Shoelace's workload. Robinson remains the clear-cut No. 1 back, but Gerhart could siphon 6-8 touches.

Status
Not open for further replies.