Strikeforce : Nashville (Hendo vs. Shields)

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Here's the card for this Saturday's Strikeforce-Nashville at the Bridgestone Arena in Music City USA (live on CBS @ 9PM ET).

MAIN CARD
DAN HENDERSON VS JAKE SHIELDS
GEGARD MOUSASI VS MUHAMMED "KING MO" LAWAL
GILBERT MELENDEZ VS SHINYA AOKI

UNDERCARD
JASON MILLER VS TIM STOUT
CHRIS HAWK VS OVINCE ST. PREAUX
DUSTIN WEST VS ANDY UHRICH
JOSH SHOCKMAN VS CALE YARBROUGH
ZACH UNDERWOOD VS HUNTER WORSHAM
DUSTIN ORTIZ VS JUSTIN PENNINGTON
CODY FLOYD VS THOMAS CAMPBELL

Strikeforce - Nashville

Sherdog's Strikeforce Nashville Preview

Sherdog "Primer" : Strikeforce "Nashville"

***I'll be pulling for Hendo, The "Dreamcatcher", Hawk (vs. afflete Ovince St. Preux), & Pennington.

Edited by: DixieDestroyer

guest301

Hall of Famer
Looking forward to the Henderson fight and to the Mousasi beat down on Lawal.

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
The top three fights are very good and perhaps better than recent UFC cards. I think Shields may pull the upset but will be happy as long as Mousasi defeats the racist black Lawal.

guest301

Hall of Famer
What has Lawal said that was racist against whites? Give me some more reason to dislike the guy! I would be very suprised to see Shields upset Henderson but if he does, expect to see Shields soon in the UFC as he is a free agent.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Lawal didn't say anything "against" Whites (that I'm aware of), but says he pulls for affletes (vs. White fighters)...just as we pull for Whites (vs. afroletes). I'd say that's a natural inclination...to support your own race.

Fyi, below is the article where the statements were made. ***Note, fellow afflete/MMA fighter Phil Davis alludes to the caste system in stating...

"When the media talks about athletes, it's always the white athletes that are hard workers and blue-collar, and the black athletes are explosive and athletic, you know what I'm saying?"Â￾

http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles/Bucking-Stereotypes-22595

f3dor

Guru
perhaps he reads this site...we are changing history here folks..
smiley1.gif

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Here's the Strikeforce - Nashville results...

Preliminary Card

Light Heavyweight bout: Chris Hawk vs. Ovince St. Preux
St. Preux defeated Hawk via TKO (punches) at 0:44 of round 1.
smiley6.gif

Welterweight bout: Dustin West vs. Andrew Uhrich
Uhrich defeated West via submission (rear naked choke) at 1:36 of round 1.

Middleweight bout: Jason Miller vs. Tim Stout
Miller defeated Stout via TKO (punches) at 3:09 of round 1.

Light Heavyweight bout: Josh Schockman vs. Cale Yarbrough
Yarbrough defeated Schockman via TKO (knee and punches) in round 2.

Catchweight 180 lb bout: Zach Underwood vs. Hunter Worsham
Underwood defeated Worsham via unanimous decision.

Flyweight bout: Dustin Ortiz vs. Justin Pennington
Ortiz defeated Pennington via submission (rear naked choke) at 4:27 of round 1.

Featherweight bout: Cody Floyd vs. Thomas Campbell
Floyd defeated Campbell via KO (knee) in round 3.

MAIN CARD

GEGARD MOUSASI VS MUHAMMED "KING MO" LAWAL = "King Yo" by UD.
smiley21.gif

GILBERT MELENDEZ VS SHINYA AOKI = Melendez by UD.
DAN HENDERSON VS JAKE SHIELDS = Shields by UD.
- Nice "TNB" crap post fight. Jason Miller comes in the ring & asks Shields "where's my rematch buddy" & proceeds to get jumped by the "scrap pack" (let by the thug Diaz brothers). Totally classless crapola (ala the "afflete" boxers & their entourages). I hope that doesn't give CBS any reservations about airing Strikeforce cards in the future.
smiley21.gif

***My "Half-Cent" worth...
- Mousasi has no take-down defense & showed hardly any BJJ. "King Yo" is one dimensional & gassed early but the non-chalant Mousasi didn't capitalize.
smiley6.gif
BTW, Hendo would tear "King Yo's" head off at 205. BTW, I loved to hear the Music City fans boo'ing afflete "King Yo"!
smiley36.gif

- Aoki was totally outclassed by Melendez. These jap fighters can't hang with American & Brazilian fighters much anymore.

- Hendo overly relies on his heavy right hand. Although he nearly KO'd Sheilds in R1, he was almost TKO'd (via strikes) in R2. Although Sheilds is a Gracie BJJ black-belt, he was passing Hendo's guard relatively easily. Hendo needs to improve his guard game (sweeps, etc.). He's too focused on just boxing & greco. I was also surprised Hendo's takedown defense wasn't more consistent. Hendo should move up to 205 & aim for "King Yo" who has good wrestling (ala Sheilds) but NOT the BJJ.

Anak

Mentor
What the HELL was Mousasi thinking? Very disappointed in him. He let this mouthy thug walk all over him. He was way too content to fight off his back, doesn't he know takedowns score a huge amount of points?

It really pisses me off how some White fighters can never seem to win when it really matters. Ovince St. Preux got KTFO'd by a white fighter in his last fight, but that fight will be in obscurity while his KO win may be nationally televised.

Regarding Moussasi-Mo, on two occasions (Round 2 and Round 5), Gegard could have potentially KO'd Mo but was not allowed to use knees to a grounded opponent. In Japanese Orgs like DREAM AND PRIDE (where Gegard previously fights) wrestlers like Mo would never be able to recklessly shoot for takedowns because they would be punished with knees to the head as they shot it. This is why I really dislike American commisions which ban knees on the ground, because it gives wrestlers almost total immunity to shoot in all they want without repurcussions.

Had this fight been in Japan under DREAM I'm sure Moussasi would win for 2 reasons:

1. As I mentioned with knees on the ground permitted he could have nailed Mo when he was kneeling on the ground in round 2. Not to mention the upkick which he was deducted points for in rnd 5.

2. Japanese promotions score fights based on damage done, not points. You can't lie on top and still take more damage like Mo did and still win a decision. Under PRIDE or DREAM rules Moussasi would have won the decision even without the KO

Now the blacks have Rampage, Rashad, Jon Jones, Phil Davis, A. Silva, and not King Mo. Not to mention that this was on a national telecast. This is a dark day for White MMA, 2 white guys lose on CBS. This is second only to the disastrous UFC 71 IMO

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Guest, was the Hawk loss broadcast on CBS? I turned to CBS @ 9PM & the first fight I saw was Mousasi (half-@$$ing it) vs. "King Yo".

P.S. - I totally agree with you regarding knees to a "grounded" opponent. The japs have it right, & it should be legal in the U.S. There again, I'd like to see the UFC (also) re-allow headbutts!
smiley2.gif

DixieDestroyer said:
Guest, was the Hawk loss broadcast on CBS? I turned to CBS @ 9PM & the first fight I saw was Mousasi (half-@$$ing it) vs. "King Yo".

P.S. - I totally agree with you regarding knees to a "grounded" opponent. The japs have it right, & it should be legal in the U.S. There again, I'd like to see the UFC (also) re-allow headbutts!
smiley2.gif

I don't think they've shown in yet, but in case the Hendo-Shields fight ends early and SF still have some extra air-time you can pretty much bet that they will use it to allow the nation to witness a deveastating, quick KO as opposed to a boring decision.

While we're on topic, I think the Japs do many things that I wish Whites would do. It's okay for Japanese to be nationalistic, in spite of their atrocities in the Pacific, but the second a European is nationalistic, they're immediately Nazis even if they're not from GermanyEdited by: Guest

hawkeye

Guru
I think it goes to show the honest truth, a wrestler will always beat a striker. It's the reason England and Japan don't produce any champions.

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
RE Gegard Mousasi/King Mo:

I know, in fight sports like MMA, we are "supposed" to believe that a White fighter certainly trains many hours per week and is a finely-tuned machine, ready for battle (but I have doubted that on many occasions when, primarily, North American and Western European fighters performed no better than a "regular Joe"; I don't think that's an exaggeration). It's also "taboo" to question a White fighter's heart or work-ethic. We don't want to jinx things or upset the "Fight Gods"... We got to have the "belief" or we're somehow anti-White and self-loathing...

TOO MANY fighters' are marketed as "larger than life" figures, that are so bad-ass and so skilled, and it's largely a sham in my view. Because I refuse to believe in that hype (concerning fighters of all races), I wasn't surprised that Gegard got manhandled, and I wasn't surprised that they rolled around, on the canvas, for 5 rounds which was EXTREMELY boring. Gegard also looked anorexic, and he seemed to lack punching force. MMA can be quite boring like Chuck Norris has said.

If we don't get our own act together, we can't blame the "DWFs" for noticing the trend of White fighters being manhandled by dark-skinned fighters. Sure, there are many White North American fighters that I consider weak (and I can't possibly believe that they train until they puke; I also would be foolish if I went to "DWF" forums and talked-up White fighters that I thought lacked skill, physical strength or killer instincts), but why is that?? Yeah, I also notice that taller black/Hawaiian (Kendall Grove) fighters are often put against shorter White fighters - which has caused brutal KOs of Whites via upward knees to the jaw. Tall and slender Whites exist in the real world; I see them everyday - so what gives.

The "hype" surrounding some of these MMA operations is unjustified and ridiculous IMO, but, of course, they're going to hype-up their stable of "Cyborgs"...
smiley36.gif
Mousasi's loss has not affected my life or masculinity at all, but don't tell me that rolling around on the ground for 5 Rounds is something "great."
smiley21.gif

moose

Guru
there is no trend of white fighters being manhandled by dark skinned fighters, it looked like moussasi was sick or injured when the fight began from the way he fought, mo did not impress me at all, he was just in the right place at the right time.

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
He did look thin and frailish to me.

We shall see whether he turns things around in the future.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
The only 2 solutions (to being G&P'd &/or loosing by decision) in facing a superior wrestler are to KO or sub them. Mousasi had a few solid punches on "Queen Yo", but lacked his usual power. Also, Gregard showed little BJJ on the mat...only 1 successful sweep (& little other attempts) & no sub attempts. He was content to strike from his back. During the first few rounds, I thought Mousasi was just playing (MMA) rope-a-dope to gas "Queen Yo", but he continued the trend of (easily) being taken down & striking off his back the rest of the fight. He needs to up his takedown defense & BJJ or just go to kickboxing IMO.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Well we lost another belt in MMA.
smiley6.gif
I saw Mousasi fight only once on the undercard of the Fedor-Rogers fight. He looked pretty good from what I could tell. Hopefully "Queen Yo" loses in his first defense.

Thrashen

Hall of Famer
Dan Henderson was an utter embarrassment after the 1st round of his fight with Jake Shields. Shields hung tough against the MMA legend after nearly getting KO'ed in the opening seconds. After that, Henderson was spent"¦he was taken down in rounds 2-5, and was on his back eating Shields' pathetic punches all night. Shields is one of the weakest strikers in MMA, but can wrestle with anyone. Henderson looked old and lethargic (Shields' cardio wasn't much better, but at least he was the aggressor).

The announcers, who all hated Shields, kept making excuses for Henderson"¦they kept saying that he cut 15-20 pounds in the last few weeks before the fight. Why would any professional athlete lose all that weight so quickly?

I agree with Deadlift, these MMA guys aren't machines at all. With the exception of Fedor Emelianenko and a few others, they all seem so "everyman."Â￾This Strikeforce card should have been fireworks, but every fight was boring.

guest301

Hall of Famer
I was rooting for Shields after Hendo called him boring before the fight and Frank Shamrock was certainly biased in his disdain for Shields in the pre-fight commentary as there was obviously some bad blood between the two. Jake is one of the hottest free agent MMA guys out there and I predict he will sign with the UFC soon and take on GSP. GSP has said in the past that Shields has a better wrestling base than he has. Very disappointed in Mousassi but that being said, if you looked at Lawal and Mousassi's faces after the fight, Lawal definitely looked the worse of the two with his left eye closed and looking pure exhausted.

Anak

Mentor
JD074 said:
Why aren't you guys happy that Shields won? Is he not white?

I was rooting for Shields over Henderson, but I was also looking forward to a Henderson vs Mousasi matchup. With their performances last night that match is nowhere near as interesting.Edited by: Anak

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
JD074 said:
Why aren't you guys happy that Shields won? Is he not white?

I was pulling for Hendo because he's an old-school, Team Quest, wrestler & very down to earth (no tats & little smack-talking). I personally like the Team Quest "founders"...Couture, Lindland & Henderson. However, I'm fine with Shields winning as he's one of the best MWs in the world. His wrestling & BJJ are top notch. As I said (above), Hendo needs to stop overly relying on his right hand & hone his takedown defense & BJJ. I hope Dan moves up to 205 & aims to take "Queen Yo's" belt.