Sergey Kovalev

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
The telecast will start about 9 hours from now, at 9 AM Pacific time, 12 noon Eastern time.

Main event will be later.

Last edited:

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
Kovalev defeats Chilemba

http://www.fightnews.com/Boxing/kovalev-chilemba-result-is-in-345719

WBO, WBA and IBF light heavyweight world champion Sergey “Krusher” Kovalev (30-0-1, 26 KOs) defended his title with a twelve round unanimous decision over Isaac “Golden Boy” Chilemba (24-4-2, 10 KOs) on Monday night at the DIVS Palace of Sports in Ekaterinburg, Russia. Kovalev pressed the action, while Chilemba looked to frustrate and avoid exchanges. Difficult fight for the champion until late in round seven, when Kovalev dropped Chilemba with a crushing right hand. Chilemba survived the round. Kovalev rocked Chilemba again in round eight. Kovalev closed the fight by punishing Chilemba in the last round. Scores were 117-110, 116-111, 118-109. Next up for Kovalev is likely a November showdown with Andre Ward.

That really is so nice that Kovalev donated all of his purse to the family of Simakov, what a classy thing to do.

Watched the fight. Chilemba has never been stopped in his career, and although Sergey had him down, the African showed a lot of resiliency, heart, and a good chin. Chilemba is a tough customer and a very awkward style, not an easy guy to look good against or KO, could definitely see him winning some rounds and losing a close fight to Ward. Kovalev also seemed to tire in the later rounds. I'm a huge Kovalev fan, and he looked good in this fight, but not great like he usually does. But fighters can have mixed performances, it seemed his fitness was not there tonight, and his killer instinct was not as sharp as usual. Hopefully Sergey can make the necessary adjustments before his next fight! Overall, good win from Sergey over an underrated opponent.

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
xcK4gsb.gif

Last edited:

Ambrose

Master
I think most here know this, but if you don't, Chilemba is a stablemate of Kovalev's. They could have fought three years ago; for Kathy Duva has been saving this match-up awhile. Being from the same stable, the deal likely was something beneficial for all parties involved:

1) Chilemba got a title shot and made some money but on condition he and his career didn't get wrecked by Krusher;
2) Kovalev got a high profile opponent he could go rounds with in preparation for Ward (he obviously didn't care about his purse and won the hearts of the Russian boxing fan);
3) Duva and company got a win-win-win scenario in making a profitable event, preparing their star for stardom, and keeping a competitor they own intact for future work.

I wouldn't fret much about the lack of stoppage, not really that important.

Westside

Hall of Famer
Just viewed the fight. That was a good/great performance against a B level opponent who had skill and refused to be KO'd. A lot of the supposed boxing scribes are putting out the narrative that Kovalev had to struggle with Chilemba, he will have big problems with Ward. Nonsense. just hopeful thinking & Psyche ops by the usual suspects.

Last edited:

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
I missed the fight but the DWF's are saying that Kovalev fought poorly and lost about 3-4 rounds. What is everyones take? Was that the case? Maybe he wasn't looking for the knockout and wanted to go some rounds. He also did say he had a cold, though the DWF's are calling that an excuse.

Ambrose

Master
Kovalev is supposedly signed to fight Ward in November; but, Ward is fighting Mr. Nobody August 6th. As I still really don't believe Ward wants to fight Kovalev, I think Ward will claim he sustained an injury during the August fight so that the fight can be postponed until next year in hopes Kovalev fights a tough one in the mean time and takes on more wear and tear.

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
Kovalev is supposedly signed to fight Ward in November; but, Ward is fighting Mr. Nobody August 6th. As I still really don't believe Ward wants to fight Kovalev, I think Ward will claim he sustained an injury during the August fight so that the fight can be postponed until next year in hopes Kovalev fights a tough one in the mean time and takes on more wear and tear.
Yes, I too find it difficult to believe Ward wants to do it.

Ward will be wanting a referee who will permit him to foul (possibly Cole or Reiss) and judges who will score all possible rounds for him.

Will Kovalev's manager Klimas and Kathy Duva stand firm and not permit it?

Ambrose

Master
Yes, I too find it difficult to believe Ward wants to do it.

Ward will be wanting a referee who will permit him to foul (possibly Cole or Reiss) and judges who will score all possible rounds for him.

Will Kovalev's manager Klimas and Kathy Duva stand firm and not permit it?

Kathy has worked hard and in Kovalev's interest so far, I think if she knows to doubt those two weasels she'll block their participation in the event. Klimas is damn loyal, I wouldn't doubt him. Klimas worked for free much of Kovalev's career until the purses became big enough to share.

Ward had all the advantages during that Super Six competition and none of the other competitors even negotiated him out of Oakland. So, for Ward to quietly accept Kovalev's offers seems very very odd.

Ambrose

Master
I missed the fight but the DWF's are saying that Kovalev fought poorly and lost about 3-4 rounds. What is everyones take? Was that the case? Maybe he wasn't looking for the knockout and wanted to go some rounds. He also did say he had a cold, though the DWF's are calling that an excuse.

Watch how the meanness and intent is not there in Sergei, watch how he touches gloves at the end of some rounds; watch in some clinches how he isn't rough; watch how patient he is and how lower his volume is. Those are some examples of how we know Sergei wasn't there to kill Chilemba like he has against opponents in past fights.

If he ever does fight Ward I don't doubt he be on fire and not play sportsman with that Africano-Americano.

Westside

Hall of Famer
I think the reason that Sergei, cut Chilemba breaks was that both were stable mates and sparred and trained together.

Ambrose

Master
I don't doubt Kovalev genuinely wants to fight Andre Ward. I do doubt Ward wants to genuinely fight Kovalev. Below is a picture of Ward's latest opponent, Alexander Brand, who is supposed to be Ward's tune-up for Kovalev. Ward vs Brand is a complete wash-out mismatch. Why would a fighter take on such a weak opponent if he was seriously looking for a good challenge to prepare himself for the absolute best?

ward-brand%20(7).jpg

werewolf

Hall of Famer
"Ward vs Brand is a complete wash-out mismatch"

Yep. I'm much more interested in those two ring girls than this stupid fight.

I don't doubt Kovalev genuinely wants to fight Andre Ward. I do doubt Ward wants to genuinely fight Kovalev. Below is a picture of Ward's latest opponent, Alexander Brand, who is supposed to be Ward's tune-up for Kovalev. Ward vs Brand is a complete wash-out mismatch. Why would a fighter take on such a weak opponent if he was seriously looking for a good challenge to prepare himself for the absolute best?

ward-brand%20(7).jpg

Dan Rafael ‏@danrafaelespn That sewage was maybe the worst fight in HBO history. #WardBrand #boxing

Ambrose

Master

Ward fought as a 100-1 favorite against a 39 year old middle/super-middle and only won a typical 12 round decision. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ. Same old Ward, he fights to decisions with guys that Kovalev would demolish and he's supposed to be a "pound for pound" best??? Not on my list anyway.

Watch the fight here. It is actually funny how small, weak, unskilled, and how little power Brand has and Ward's fans celebrate this? :band:

Last edited:

white is right

Hall of Famer
There is nothing off this paid work out that will prepare Ward for Kovalev. Even Kellerman and Hopkins stated it was just for remembering gym work and what a training camp and making weight feels like. I didn't see anything off this workout that should scare Kovalev or make Ward the betting favorite.

Ambrose

Master
I don't know if this means anything, and it's too early to tell, but this seems a little fishy. http://www.fightnews.com/Boxing/duva-kovalev-ward-negotiations-a-living-hell-350255

I've been posting here for a year now that I really don't believe that Andre Ward will fight Kovalev -unless he gets everything in his favor. If you look at his style of boxing it reflects on his character: he's defense first and mostly fights with one arm so as not to expose himself against almost any counter-attack against the hand picked no hopers he fights. The only risk he ever really took was against super middles Kessler. and Froch. Kessler he went into head butting to win, and the Froch fight was really close though both fights were in his back yard and he NEVER accepted an offer to fight in Europe. While Sergei Kovalev absolutely wrecked the entire light-heavyweight division.

So I really think he's full of chit and has been faking it all along -just like Stevenson- that he wants to fight fast moving, long armed, rocket throwing Kovalev. I'll say it again: I think Ward and his ream will come up with excuses and the fight won't happen.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
I've been posting here for a year now that I really don't believe that Andre Ward will fight Kovalev -unless he gets everything in his favor. If you look at his style of boxing it reflects on his character: he's defense first and mostly fights with one arm so as not to expose himself against almost any counter-attack against the hand picked no hopers he fights. The only risk he ever really took was against super middles Kessler. and Froch. Kessler he went into head butting to win, and the Froch fight was really close though both fights were in his back yard and he NEVER accepted an offer to fight in Europe. While Sergei Kovalev absolutely wrecked the entire light-heavyweight division.

So I really think he's full of chit and has been faking it all along -just like Stevenson- that he wants to fight fast moving, long armed, rocket throwing Kovalev. I'll say it again: I think Ward and his ream will come up with excuses and the fight won't happen.

The guy refuses to fight anywhere but Oakland.

Westside

Hall of Famer
Well, this time he has no choice. Like I said earlier, if Kovalev fights Ward like Hopkins, easy fight. I suspect Ward is thinking about that right now.