Ryan Mathews

White Power

Mentor
will any body on this board follow him now that he is in the pro's. I will just wondering if others are interested.

Westside

Hall of Famer
E
what position does he play?

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
I may show a small amount of interest, but South Pacific Islanders are favoured by the caste system almost as much as blacks. Other than WR, QB, and CB- I can't think of a position where Pacific Islanders aren't favored "AT LEAST" as much as blacks considering their low population demographics (and that includes RB). Mathews is half white, but I don't really see him as a caste dubunker.

Westside

Hall of Famer
I remember at the combines he was quite impressive. I thought he was half white and black. Did not know he a South Ilslander. I suspect he will excell in the pros

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
I don't recall anyone ever putting forth the evidence that Matthews' IS Poly??

Early years

Mathews was born in Bakersfield, California to Tricia Mathews when she was just 16. His father left before he was born and has only seen him a few times in his life.

Personal

Ryan's mother is Tricia Mathews and he has three brothers: Dante Cross, Tim Bruzzessi, and Tim Tillman.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryan_Matthews_(football)

Unless some evidence is put forth to the contrary, I will consider him a mulatto. For the record, NOT ALL mulattoes have a "full-rug" on their head.. like the Dodgers' Russell Martin does.

EDIT: I didn't watch the 1st Round of the Draft, and that's where he was selected, of course. Did the Draft video "confirm" that he has Poly ancestry?
Edited by: Deadlift

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
From all that I've seen, we really don't have any confirmation what Mathews' ancestry is, we just have photos to stare at and conjecture. Here is the linkto his college post here at CF where many of us posted tons of photos, all inconclusive.

From a Caste-"busting" perspective, all that really matters is how the DWF's see him, and from what I've heard, they consider him "other than white", so until that changes, he's just another non-white athlete that does not warrant our support.

Thrashen

Hall of Famer
FootballDad said:
From all that I've seen, we really don't have any confirmation what Mathews' ancestry is, we just have photos to stare at and conjecture.  Here is the link to his college post here at CF where many of us posted tons of photos, all inconclusive.
<div></div>
<div></div>
<div></div>
<div></div>
<div></div>
<div> </div>
<div>From a Caste-"busting" perspective, all that really matters is how the DWF's see him, and from what I've heard, they consider him "other than white", so until that changes, he's just another non-white athlete that does not warrant our support.</div>

There is no "confirmation" necessary. He has jet-black hair, jet-black eyes, and skin a few shades lighter than an African person. I could care less about his turd. If he were indeed a "tanned white person"Â (like Eric Weddle, for instance), he wouldn't have gone undrafted.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Thrashen, I'm a big fan of some of your posts in this forum and you have particularly made many great posts about white WRs like Hass getting screwed, but how is Matthews a turd? The situation of our guys getting screwed is VERY frustrating (so much so that- like you said- Matthews probably wouldn't have gotten a shot in hell if he were white), but I'm yet to hear any news of Matthews being a criminal or being an egomaniacal headcase.

Donald Brown is mulatto for instance and attended a H.S VERY CLOSE to where I used to live in NJ called Red Bank Catholic. Brown is a great human being. A white kid who is a Colts' fan who attended Red Bank Catholic a year ago was diagnosed with cancer (likely terminal) and Brown donated money for his Chemo and flew him and his family into Indianapolis to meet him and the whole Colt's team and get Peyton Manning's autograph. I know a turd when I see one. Pac Man Jones is a turd, Ryan Matthews as far as I know is not.

I will not root for Matthews for being half white because the caste system doesn't effect him. Donald Brown however, I actually cheer for- even though his road to the NFL was thousands of times easier being a half black man. As much as I hate the caste system- anger toward black players who did not create the caste system isn't the answer. We should be directing our anger at whiterivals, jackass Tom Luginbill and the caste media, coaches and scouts and the most diehard DWFs.

The only way to fight this caste system is by being proactive and educating as many people as we can. I've even started to speak up about this issue up here in Canada to all my family and any person I know well enough to be considered a friend. Canadians don't discuss race much, it's sort of ignored up here unless an investigative journalist is brushing the topic and freedom of speech is more suppressive here. It is difficult to bring up this issue up here, but I'm doing my best. There are more Canadians aware of or willing to listen about the caste system issue than most DW American fans.

Westside

Hall of Famer
If it is proven that Mathews is half ok. I can understand here at CF, members not actively supporting him or his exploits on the field, I get that! But for no other reason besides him being part black calling him a piece of s**t is kinda of unreasonable. I think posts such as these deminish this sites crediblity. Have I been guilty of being "salty" sure, but I don't think I have been this severe without a reason. Being born black and taking up TNB, unleash hell on him and I will clap, but if an individual is black and conducts himself as an unright citizen, then calling him a piece of S**t is unreasonable and at worst racist. IMO.

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
Mathews is not a turd. I (and most of CF) won't root for him, as Tough said, he goes unaffected by the caste system. He seems like he has a good head on his shoulders and conducts himself properly, he isn't a turd. A guy like Leonard Little, Najeh Davenport, or Cedric Benson would be a turd.

I hate seeing deserving white guys get screwed all the time just as much as everyone else on here. I think by far the majority of people that see the light of the caste system are moderate, and seeing a post like this sends the wrong message.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Very well said Westside, but calling someone a turd doesn't sound nearly as bad as a piece of s**t, so both of us may be engaging in overreacting (histrionics) to make a point.

I recall the term turd skinned coming up here occasionally too from some members. We have so many great writers and researchers here that we don't need pejoratives about a person unless they warrant it. If it were up to me- it would be unabated bashing of guys like Tom Luginbill, but lay off the black athletes who are upstanding citizens that are not the creators of this caste system epidemic crap that drives all of us nuts!
smiley1.gif

Edited to add: I used the word brandishing by accident. I sort of knew the definition, but when I looked it up I realized the word was more extreme than I desired to use- even toward Tom Luginbill...I'm a peace loving Canadian lol.. I guess we're all engaging in histrionics here.Edited by: ToughJ.Riggins

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Very well said Lambert as well. And Lambert, I must say, I've had a lot of fun reading all your college football write ups- along with the other guys...Great work. With my computer not working right, I haven't had nearly as much time to help with the write ups (or research the number of white starters by position from year to year) like last year. I've been using my wife's laptop that shuts off if the cord moves after she goes to bed. I go to bed later than her since my work starts much later. We pretty much only hang out for about an hour (two tops) when I get home from work and I'm only off once a week..not fun.

Thrashen

Hall of Famer
Dear god, I wasn't referring to his NCAA career as being a "turd."Â￾ He was a pretty great running back at Fresno. Ever notice his skin color? Much akin to a turd, no? Again, I have no clue why we're even discussing this player. There is no way in hell I would ever consider this guy to be "white."Â￾

white is right

Hall of Famer
ESPN has an interesting short video on this kids history. He is the product of a tenants of his great-aunt and his underage mother. His father is Black and had nothing to do with his upbringing and his mother was shortly booted out of the aunts house and was homeless for a short stretch before she moved in with other family and got employment at 16 to raise her son. His mother could have chosen the welfare route to raise her son, but she decided to work two jobs and instilled a work ethic in her son. As for the bias against him, I don't think any scouts would think about saying he was too small to play tailback at the NFL level. As many posters have stated mulatto players or players that genetic wise are mulatto aren't being pigeonholed into the fullback role or not looked at to play at the D1 level/NFL level. Genetics wise he probably close to 2/3rds White as his father wasn't anything close to a full blooded African. Edited by: white is right

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
It's guaranteed that the NFL knew that he had a "black dad..."

And, frankly, I don't think it was much of a mystery.. just look at him on the sidelines of Monday Night's game against Denver (in street clothes).

As for his NFL career, I'm confident in saying that he won't live-up to where he was selected in the Draft. I've noticed that quite a few of these mulattoes don't have much "moves".. don't have "good jukes."

I do notice that they tend to have natural-looking builds, though.. while one has to be suspicious of dark-skins like Cadillac Williams and Ray Rice..

The NFL obviously knows when a player has a small amount of black blood in him.

That is why marginal talents who are mostly white (but partly black) like Aaron Moorehead, Nick Goings and Justin Fargas stick around for years given chance after chance in the NFL while superior talents like Mike Hass, David Ball and Luke Staley are left to rot.

The commentators know it too. Players like Miles Austin and Cortland Finnigan are constantly praised like Gods while superior players like Wes Welker and Jim Leonhard are given back handed compliments at best and in some cases ridiculed for no reason.

I would argue it seems commentators root for these products of interracial even more than they would for an 100% African. The "mixed" players represent the America that we are all aspiring for, so why not root for them openly? Edited by: TorontoArgos

dwid

Hall of Famer
http://fftoolbox.com/football/nfl_news.cfm?news_id=3014

[h=1]Chargers RB Ryan Mathews already injured, out of shape[/h]

should have drafted Toby Gerhart, or better yet, they should have given Hester the starting job once LT was gone. Hester would be better than Tolbert.

"San Diego Chargers running back Ryan Mathews turned in a frustrating, injury-marred rookie season in 2010. A few days into training camp, he's not inspiring a lot of thought that he'll rebound in 2011. Mathews came into camp out of shape, so much so that he failed the team's conditioning test, which some teammates describe as "fairly easy." And now Mathews is hurt. Head coach Norv Turner has said that Mathews missed the past couple of days due to soreness, but some sources in San Diego say it's actually a toe injury that's keeping Mathews sidelined. Then there's this quote that Mathews unleashed a couple of days ago: "I haven't been doing much speed work like that. There's a couple things I probably should have done differently in the offseason, conditioning my legs."

Thrashen

Hall of Famer
http://fftoolbox.com/football/nfl_news.cfm?news_id=3014

[h=1]Chargers RB Ryan Mathews already injured, out of shape[/h]

should have drafted Toby Gerhart, or better yet, they should have given Hester the starting job once LT was gone. Hester would be better than Tolbert.

"San Diego Chargers running back Ryan Mathews turned in a frustrating, injury-marred rookie season in 2010. A few days into training camp, he's not inspiring a lot of thought that he'll rebound in 2011. Mathews came into camp out of shape, so much so that he failed the team's conditioning test, which some teammates describe as "fairly easy." And now Mathews is hurt. Head coach Norv Turner has said that Mathews missed the past couple of days due to soreness, but some sources in San Diego say it's actually a toe injury that's keeping Mathews sidelined. Then there's this quote that Mathews unleashed a couple of days ago: "I haven't been doing much speed work like that. There's a couple things I probably should have done differently in the offseason, conditioning my legs."

The Chargers were kind enough to draft you in the 1[SUP]st[/SUP] round (12[SUP]th[/SUP] overall). If you were white, you’d have gone undrafted.

The Chargers were generous enough to pay you a signing bonus, then write a contract for millions of dollars (15 million guaranteed) over the next five years. If you were white, assuming you were actually permitted to “graceâ€￾ the 53-man roster, you’d play for the league minimum.

The Chargers were patient enough to wait through your injury-plagued, lackluster rookie campaign. If you were white, you’d have never been given this opportunity, as you’d have been cut, waived, released, or put on the practice squad (if you’re lucky) long ago.

All these handouts and you still can’t pass a simple conditioning test for the right to step onto the practice field?

Is anyone here still “ponderingâ€￾ whether or not Matthews is “white?â€￾

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
Good commentary, Thrashen. It was established long ago here on CF that Mathews is a mulatto, with a white mudshark mom and an absentee black father.

A good illustration of what you speak of is a comparison between Mathews and Jake Sharp. Sharp has moderately superior measurables, and barring injury, would have been (and was as a junior) equally productive to Mathews. Mathews is a first round pick, Sharp goes undrafted and is now hunting around for dusty backalley football in an attempt to keep his dream alive. Mathews, on the other hand, has his millions already and is heading down JaMarcus Russell Blvd.

TwentyTwo

Master
Jacob Hester get a chance to run the ball?? Yeah right... after morphing him to Fullback...

Coach: "hey whitey...move to Fullback"
Hester: "oh geez coach..whatever it takes to help the team"...
Make no mistake Hester is a nice guy; but needs to grab the bull by the horns being more demanding....or drop 15lbs they made him gain & move to another team that might give him an opportunity while he is still young enough!

JeMarcus Russell Blvd keeps getting wider & wider!

It's mind boggling Jake Sharp is not in some NFL teams training camp! Hard to comprehend!

Last edited:

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Mathews can balloon right on up, as far as I'm concerned. Not that it will help Jacob Hester get any more carries.

dwid

Hall of Famer
When I met Jacob Hester...he is a very humble, nice guy but deep down he seemed like he is just a misinformed dwf that is just happy to be on the same playing field. I saw him at a card shop, he bought like 200 dollars worth of cards of affletes. I wish he were more informed and had more incentive, but I guess he is happy with his role. This was when he first came out of college, he may be more aware of the discrimination now but he is making good money, has a family etc. I guess he doesn't want to buck any trends, he doesn't have the drive to be the feature guy even though he has the talent to be I could be wrong so....

Never give up hope, with Hillis having success and seeing how out of shape and uncaring Matthews is and that Tolbert isn't more talented, maybe he will try to get some carries. Never give up hope, we didn't know Hillis was ever going to get a chance but things worked his way. If Tolbert goes down they don't have anyone. Many fans were wanting to pick up either Hester or Brian Leonard thinking they would have similar success to Hillis, I dont think they would be on the same level but I think Hester could average mid 4 ypc with the right team and break 1k. I think Brian Leonard could be a guy that gets maybe 100 to 150 carries and averages around 4 ypc and gets maybe 50 to 60 receptions.

People do change, just because he was willing to play waterboy when he came out doesn't mean thats how he feels now.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Good point, dwid. I remember discussing anti-white discrimination with Jacob's younger brother. He didn't say much about it, but I'm sure he's aware of it even if he never says anything. He should have never bulked up though. Once you let the NFL change you like that, the odds are very great that you will never again even be considered for RB duty.