Peyton Hillis

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Gotta say, the media articles about Hillis this week have been pretty positive. I figured they'd jump all over his 2.0 ypc, but they recognize his rust plus the instant boost he gave to the passing game and pass protection. The fact that the Giants finally won a game and with him playing a significant role is the best thing that could have happened.

Hopefully Peyton will have a nice game Sunday and put himself in contention to be the main back for the rest of the season. I'm rooting for the Giants to make it two wins in a row.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I agree Don and reading some of the articles was a pleasant suprise. It would be great to see him back in a featured role like he was in Cleveland only in one of the biggest market cities in the world like another poster said. If Peyton Hillis can get into playing shape again soon, there is no reason he can't put up around 100 yards a game. Even with that horrible line, he can make life for Eli alot easier. Go Giants.

Last edited:

Westside

Hall of Famer
If Peyton can excel and get a couple of good games under his belt. I will start to have visions of Rob Carpenter playing for the Giants. Too bad the Giants all but out of the playoffs. They should have made moves 3 to 4 weeks ago with Peyton in the mix. The Giants will have to go 10 and O and that is a steep mountain to climb to have a shot in the post season.

PHillisFan

Master
Yes i've seen mostly positive things said about Hillis, but let's not kid ourselves. Dwf "journalists" want to see him fail. A lot of jabs have been aimed at Hillis by "journalists" who can't believe he has a job or them making it sound like he's been one of the worst runnings back in nfl history. I'm talking about the lot at weenieworld and nfl.com's greg rosenthal and chris wesseling.

Initially, upon signing, the DWFs were dismissive of Hillis. "Slow, white fullback", locker room cancer, etc... His performance had most of them rethinking it, with many very impressed with his receiving and blocking skills. Now it's a matter of the media turning them back against him. See, it's not that the DWFs are blind, rather, they are blinded. Another even better game by Hillis would make it tougher. Most will still be blinded, but a few will see the light. Little by little.

The exact opposite situation exists in Minnesota with Freeman. They were all very excited about his "upside". The performance was universally seen as a joke. Now the media will pull out all the stops to save Freeman. Looks like Frazier is beyond saving as a head coach (for the moment).

I can't believe that the NY fans are actually saying this.

http://boards.giants.com/showthread.php?38162-Which-RB-gets-cut

Even after two decent/good games i was really expecting for the DWFs to call for Hillis to be gone since they are getting their "starter" back.Now i can only hope that the Giants front office decides to keep him for the rest of the year and maybe even resign him after the season.

backrow

Hall of Famer
I can't believe that the NY fans are actually saying this.

http://boards.giants.com/showthread.php?38162-Which-RB-gets-cut

Even after two decent/good games i was really expecting for the DWFs to call for Hillis to be gone since they are getting their "starter" back.Now i can only hope that the Giants front office decides to keep him for the rest of the year and maybe even resign him after the season.

shockingly through 7 pages not a single fan named Hillis as the one that should go. Jacobs, even Cox or Wilson to IR was the most frequent opinion. refreshing! now let's see how this will play out, I want Peyton to stay relevant, have himself a renaissance of sorts with a few hundred yard games and a sprinkle of TDs!

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
I'm worried that Giant management will bench Hillis after the real affaletes return. Although he will get some 3rd down plays to block and an occasional pass. Also might get some goal line work. But enough carries for a 100 yd game? I don't expect that to happen.

Unfortunately i agree with Jaxvid somewhat and this is the reason i have really held back in getting my hopes up very much for Hillis.It was nice to see that Hillis has won over the fans there and the coaches have to see that their last two wins has had a lot to do with Peyton's running,catching,and pass blocking.

Wilson's neck issue may lead him to the IR for the rest of the year,Cox hasn't looked good,and Jacobs is over the hill so Peyton might still get a lot of work heading forward.It will be interesting to see how it works out after the bye week.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Andre Brown will be returning after the bye. He was supposed to get a lot of touches this season along with Wilson so that's another back Hillis will have to overcome if he's to remain the starter.

Gentlemen, I don't see Coach Coughlin putting Hillis on the shelf. He knows what he's got there. That's why he signed him even though he saw he wasn't in football shape. Hillis is there to stay at least for this year. And not to just sit around. He'll be out playing.

joegoofinoff...

white is right

Hall of Famer
Gentlemen, I don't see Coach Coughlin putting Hillis on the shelf. He knows what he's got there. That's why he signed him even though he saw he wasn't in football shape. Hillis is there to stay at least for this year. And not to just sit around. He'll be out playing.

joegoofinoff...
I think until a back seizes the starting back job it's up for grabs. Brown or Hillis will have to have a huge game to be the the definitive starter. The only problem I see for Hillis is that Brown will get the majority of touches when he gets back and Hillis is a downfield runner who gets better as the game goes on.

icsept

Master
Through two games this has already gone better for Hillis than most on this board expected. There was a lot of skepticism that Hillis would not be utilized, or the Giants line is so bad that he would fail. However, he got a free two weeks, plus a bye to get in shape and learn the offense. I believe that the Giants coaches and Eli have been impressed and they will continue to use him as the feature back. However, he will need to produce some big plays, some signature plays like he did in Cleveland, to win over the fans. Don't forget, Giants fans loved Mark Bavaro, who had the guns and loved to run over people. Anyway, the stage is set for Hillis, it's going to be interesting.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
I was much more impressed with Hillis in his second week, as he was averaging 4.4 YPC running behind a pourous o-line before they started running him to run out the clock against 9 men in the box (where his YPC went down to 3.5 YPC). The one issue I see with Hillis, is that he doesn't run with quite the same authority as he did in his monster 3 games as a rookie in Denver- and his monster first season in Cleveland. He also doesn't run with quite as much creativity.

I attribute this to Shurmur jerking him around for every mistake and the media harping on his 8 fumbles in his monster season in Cleveland. Adrian Peterson, Cedric Benson who Hillis has always been better than, Tiki Barber and Maurice Jones Drew have all struggled with fumbles to the same degree if not worse at some point in their careers as featured runners. Fellow Giant David Wilson has had a case of the fumbles. Hillis however, knows his leash is short being a white RB. He's got to forget about running tentatively because the fans loved him in Cleveland for his elite play-making ability because it clearly out did the ball security issues.

I could see Hillis splitting carries evenly with Andre Brown because Wilson might not come back this year. Jacobs had one pretty good game, but it was against a Bears defense decimated by injuries. Other than that game his efficiency has been worse than a rusty Hillis- and he is far worse as a pass catcher. Still, I'm not going to get my hopes any higher than him staying on the team this year and next. This is the NFL after all.

I have Hillis in a fantasy league, and he's currently projected with ZERO points for this weekend's game against Oakland. ????? Zero? What the hell?

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
I have Hillis in a fantasy league, and he's currently projected with ZERO points for this weekend's game against Oakland. ????? Zero? What the hell?
Well, as the "experts" would say, he doesn't have "wiggle", which is a property that only blacks possess, closely related to "loose hips". Besides, all of the fantasy value for Giants RB's is being given to dime-a-dozen run-of-the-mill insert-any-black-scrub Andre (who?) Brown.

Hillis will be much closer to game shape now. Look for a big week from him. Coach Coughlin is an older man and isn't as influenced by the pc crowd as younger coaches. Hillis will get his touches and do good things with them. My prediction is the Giants kick the Raiders butt this week. I think the Raiders are still shell shocked from the beating they took last week.

joegoofinoff...

PHillisFan

Master
Things just got better for hillis as far as playing time is concerned. Afleet david wilson just got placed on IR. So that only leaves afleet andre brown as his competition. I think hillis will still see a lot of time on 3rd down as he has done an incredible job as a pass blocker and outlet receiver.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Andre Brown is returning from a broken leg and everything I've read indicates that he'll be eased back into action slowly. I expect Hillis to get the majority of the touches on Sunday (at least that's what the New York media and national sports and fantasy outlets are saying for the most part). So it's a huge game for Peyton as he needs to look more like the runner we saw in '08 and '10 if he wants to remain the main running back past Week 10. Three yards a carry for years on end for Trent Richardson means only that his tremendous "upside" is still waiting to be unleashed; for a White RB it means the bench or being cut.

backrow

Hall of Famer
Andre Brown is returning from a broken leg and everything I've read indicates that he'll be eased back into action slowly. I expect Hillis to get the majority of the touches on Sunday (at least that's what the New York media and national sports and fantasy outlets are saying for the most part). So it's a huge game for Peyton as he needs to look more like the runner we saw in '08 and '10 if he wants to remain the main running back past Week 10. Three yards a carry for years on end for Trent Richardson means only that his tremendous "upside" is still waiting to be unleashed; for a White RB it means the bench or being cut.

it is indeed a huge game for him, he needs to break some tackles, have a long run or two and catch some passes plus continue to be solid in pass protection. sprinkle a TD on top and suddenly we may have a white RB in a very good position in a huge market! i know it sounds like wishful thinking but he is capable, seems determined and he's been training now for over three weeks. plenty of time to get his legs under him and get familiar with the playbook (not that he had an issue with it)

Westside

Hall of Famer
Man, if Peyton can surpass 100 yards, rip off a 25 yarder, catch around 1/2 dozen passes and score a TD, he will be instrumental in the Giants winning. I know it sounds kinda of unexpected but I get the feeling that the DWFs and Peyton will feed off each other. The New York DWFs may become Semi DWFs if Peyton has a good to great game and the Giants win. The sky is the limit for Peyton if he is giving the opportunity and he can capitalize on them. Looking forward to his game.

dwid

Hall of Famer
He needs to have a big game but the most important thing is the Giants winning, and can't have any lost fumbles.

I think the whole lack of running people over is partially fear of fumbling, the cutting and making people miss takes a little while longer to come back, but running someone over should come back quicker. He needs to run with a lower pad level, he has been a little more upright the last few games.

So I think his running style needs to be 2008 style, he looked leaner than 2010 (and he is leaner now than 2010). He ran well and occasionally ran people over but it was a balance. They won every game he started. In 2010 everything was on his shoulders, he was dragging people, I think he knew that if he didn't get those yards then the passing game wasn't going to make up for it. I think he injured at least one defender in every single game, but of course defensive strategy changed, not many tried taking him down head on by themselves (except Tommy Z who was able to throw him out of bounds), people would dive and run up and try to punch the ball out, or just tackle his arms hoping the ball would come lose.

2010 Hillis was exciting, but 2008 Hillis was still exciting and they won games, I believe 0 fumbles while he started.

Last edited:

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
A small token of good news. Giants put Brandon Jacobs on IR with a knee injury, so Hillis will be the backup running back for the last 3 games. His carries will certainly be limited, but hey, maybe he'll break off a few good plays to get himself a job next season.

In relation to Jacobs, this might (finally) be the end of the road for the lumbering, "power" back.

PHillisFan

Master
A small token of good news. Giants put Brandon Jacobs on IR with a knee injury, so Hillis will be the backup running back for the last 3 games. His carries will certainly be limited, but hey, maybe he'll break off a few good plays to get himself a job next season.

In relation to Jacobs, this might (finally) be the end of the road for the lumbering, "power" back.

Yeah I caught that. Hopefully a team like indy calls his agent in the offseason. I would
be happy if either hillis or gerhart got to play with luck.

northwinds

Mentor
Looks like Hillis is out this week due to a concussion he suffered in last week's game.......

Last edited: