Pawel Wolak

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Unbeatin polish light middleweight Pawel Wolak fights tonight on Showtime against African American Ishe Smith. Wolak is ranked pretty high and could be someone to watch for in the future.

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
Here's some links to tonight's fights:

livestreams

The Media Player works for me, but not TVU or sopcast.

So the Demers broadcast will start at 10 pm ET (7 pm PT) and the Wolak broadcast will begin at 11 ET (8 pm PT).

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
Wolak lost by UD - I scored it 96-94 as did two of the judges. He was at an obvious height and reach disadvantage and lacks defensive skills, but he has a lot of heart and a great chin.

Smith was warned about a dozen times for holding and low blows, and should have had at least two points deducted, and that would have made it a majority draw. Jewish judge Julie Lederman scored it a bit wider (97-93) in favor of the black guy, like she always does.
smiley21.gif

The ShoBox commentators seemed to be openly rooting for Smith throughout the fight.

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
Walek could still be a contender or even a champion. One close loss to a good fighter is no shame.

devans

Mentor
JD1986 said:
Wolak lost by UD - I scored it 96-94 as did two of the judges. He was at an obvious height and reach disadvantage and lacks defensive skills, but he has a lot of heart and a great chin.

JD I have a lot of respect for your boxing knowledge, but are you sure your scoring was not swayed by the biased commentary. I watched this fight on British Eurosport last night. The two British commentators (announcers) one of whom is Black, scored the fight to Wolak by four rounds. I thought that they did not give Smith enough credit for hanging in the later rounds, when Wolak got quite scrappy and untidy and was missing a lot, and therefore only thought he had won by a round or two. The commentators were speechelss for a couple of seconds when the virdict came through and then said "I don't believe that." They were more impressed with Wolaks work rate and thought he had won the fight. They thought Smith was a clever fighter who started each round with a some good work and came up with a flurry of punches in the last 20 seconds of each round, but had long periods of doing nothing. I think it was close, and can see how someone might give the virdict to Smith - but the margin of one of the Judges cards was unbelieveable.

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
devans said:
JD1986 said:

JD I have a lot of respect for your boxing knowledge, but are you sure your scoring was not swayed by the biased commentary. I think it was close, and can see how someone might give the virdict to Smith - but the margin of one of the Judges cards was unbelieveable.

Looking back on it now, my scoring was probably swayed by the very biased boxing commentary. Smith was backing off and running during the entire fight - that's poor ring generalship on his part.

Blue Devils

Mentor
Blue Devils said:
Wolak is scheduled to take on Jamaican Vinroy Barrett of Contender fame.

Wolak won this match by decision
smiley32.gif

The scores were 100-89 100-88 99-89

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Wolak only has one loss and that was to Ishe Smith. The fight was much closer than it was scored though I wouldn't say Wolak won that fight. I don't think he is ready to challenge for a title just yet.

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
Impressive win by Pawel Wolak last night, he has obviously improved with his new trainer. His combinations have more of a science to them and his punches seem more accurate:

from fightnews.com:

Super welterweight Pawel Wolak (25-1, 17 KOs) scored a fifth round TKO over Carlos Nascimento (24-2, 20 KOs). Wolak dropped Nascimento at the end of round five and the Brazilian prospect didn't come out for round six.

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
from fightnews:

Junior middleweight contender Pawel Wolak (26-1, 17 KOs) won an eight round unanimous decision over Ishmail Arvin (15-2-4, 7 KOs). Judges scores: 80-72, 79-73 (twice). There were no knockdowns.

Blue Devils

Mentor
From Fightnews

Super welterweight Pawel Wolak (27-1, 17 KOs) pounded out a ten round unanimous decision over James Moore (17-3, 10 KOs). Scores were 97-93, 96-94, 97-93.Edited by: Blue Devils

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
More than anybody in boxing, Pawel Wolak deserves a world title shot and a decent payday. He stills works at construction, and took 6 weeks off his regular job to prepare for this fight.

But Arum is very reluctant to allow a white boxer to have a decent payday, except in a few rare situations like with Pavlik.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Pawel Wolak fought to a draw last night against Delvin Rodriguez. Rodriguez is highly ranked but the draw is certainly a disappointment. I didn't watch the fight so I'm not sure if Wolak was robbed.

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
Pawel Wolak fought to a draw last night against Delvin Rodriguez. Rodriguez is highly ranked but the draw is certainly a disappointment. I didn't watch the fight so I'm not sure if Wolak was robbed.

I saw the fight. I scored it 97-93 for Wolak.

Teddy Atlas and Joe Tessitore were both openly rooting for Delvin Rodriguez during the fight. Teddy kept going on about how Wolak was "a much bigger man" but Rodriguiz is taller and has longer arms, and they have the same size chest and shoulders.

white is right

Hall of Famer
I only saw the highlights on their website but the post fight commentary had Atlas stumping for a rematch on a network that paid better than ESPN 2. I agree Wolak deserves a 6 figure payday. One warning though a title shot could be a cash out fight as he has had problems busting up against the better fighters he has fought and pure aggression fighters without a second gear are usually timed by better boxer types. He reminds me of Ricky the Rock Myers a contender from the 90's. By the way Rodriguez is a White Dominican or at least predominately White.

Guru
I saw the fight. I scored it 97-93 for Wolak.

Teddy Atlas and Joe Tessitore were both openly rooting for Delvin Rodriguez during the fight. Teddy kept going on about how Wolak was "a much bigger man" but Rodriguiz is taller and has longer arms, and they have the same size chest and shoulders.

True.

Teddy also said that if David Haye or another other heavyweight fought like Wolak and Rodriguez did that they'd beat Klitschko. He said if either of them were heavyweights they'd be the champion. He repeated this nonsense numerous times and even in the post-fight interviews.