NFL 2013-14 Playoff thread

Hoge was terrific in those two playoff games in 1989, better than he ever was during the regular season, though he did make a lot of nice runs then also. The Steelers, after missing the playoffs the four previous seasons, started off '89 0-2, getting slaughtered at home by the archrival Browns 51-0 and losing the following week to archrival Cincinnati 42-10. But then they upset the Vikings in Week 3, and ended the season 9-7. To make the playoffs as one of the AFC's two wildcard teams they needed a bunch of last week scenarios to happen, and all of them did.

The first week they beat the favored Houston Oilers in Houston, on a last second field goal by Gary Anderson of around 50 yards. Anderson's father was on his deathbed and it was a poignant win. Hoge ran for over 100 yards.

The next week they traveled to Denver to play the heavily favored Broncos. Hoge had over 100 yards rushing just in the first half. Newspaper accounts quoted various Bronco defenders referring to Hoge as "The Tank" and "Jim Brown" while he was running over and around them. He was used less in the second half and the Steelers blew a late lead, ironically enough when Mark Stock, who was a Jeremy Ebert/Jerheme Urban type of White receiver in that he was constantly being cut and was always on the farthest fringes of the roster, dropped a key pass. Stock had unbelievably good hands, but a third down pass to him from Bubby Brister late in the fourth quarter bounced off him and Denver ended up winning the game, and then beating Cleveland the next week and going to the Super Bowl.

The 1989 Steelers were my favorite team after the dynasty teams of the '70s. They looked like one of the worst teams in league history to start the season but came on behind Brister and Hoge on offense and ended up making the playoffs and looked headed to being a top team again. After the season Chuck Noll made the fatal mistake of hiring Joe Walton to run the offense. Walton installed a complicated system that no one could understand, including Brister, and the Steelers started off 1990 by not scoring an offensive touchdown in the first four games. The team sank back into mediocrity again, missing the playoffs in '90 and '91, and Noll retired (before he could be pushed out the door) after '91 and the young wiggerish Bill Cowher replaced him.

Hoge was pretty much an average to somewhat above average running back as he could run and catch, who split carries with Tim Worley and before Worley Frank Pollard. The league has always been filled with average and mediocre running backs, but Hoge was the last of the average White running backs. Now even the rare White RBs who are "allowed" to run in college and who are fantastic are not wanted by the NFL -- Luke Staley, Brock Forsey, Toby Gerhart (strictly a backup), and others from both large and small programs. Once Cowher took over in '92, Hoge was immediately changed to a pure blocking fullback who almost never touched the ball. And of course Hoge is now a reliable Caste clown ala former "overachieving" WRs Crissie Collinsworth, Steve Tasker and Tom Waddle.

I remember Joe Walton being described in the sports media as an offensive genius. The teams he coached on never won anything. Walton was an undersized TE with the 1961-63 New York Giants and I recall seeing him play.

The NFL seems to think the slowest black RB is better than the fastest and most athletic white RB. Nobody in the MSM (or the DWFs) deigns to question it.

dwid

Hall of Famer
Hoge was terrific in those two playoff games in 1989, better than he ever was during the regular season, though he did make a lot of nice runs then also. The Steelers, after missing the playoffs the four previous seasons, started off '89 0-2, getting slaughtered at home by the archrival Browns 51-0 and losing the following week to archrival Cincinnati 42-10. But then they upset the Vikings in Week 3, and ended the season 9-7. To make the playoffs as one of the AFC's two wildcard teams they needed a bunch of last week scenarios to happen, and all of them did.

The first week they beat the favored Houston Oilers in Houston, on a last second field goal by Gary Anderson of around 50 yards. Anderson's father was on his deathbed and it was a poignant win. Hoge ran for over 100 yards.

The next week they traveled to Denver to play the heavily favored Broncos. Hoge had over 100 yards rushing just in the first half. Newspaper accounts quoted various Bronco defenders referring to Hoge as "The Tank" and "Jim Brown" while he was running over and around them. He was used less in the second half and the Steelers blew a late lead, ironically enough when Mark Stock, who was a Jeremy Ebert/Jerheme Urban type of White receiver in that he was constantly being cut and was always on the farthest fringes of the roster, dropped a key pass. Stock had unbelievably good hands, but a third down pass to him from Bubby Brister late in the fourth quarter bounced off him and Denver ended up winning the game, and then beating Cleveland the next week and going to the Super Bowl.

yeah I have both of those games, and the one who put that video up. I don't have any regular season footage of Hoge but he looked like a featured back in those two games, I would say well above average. I am wondering if they used him more like a short yardage back, more out of the fullback spot with short yardage plays during the regular season, or maybe a split role like Tommy Vardell. Drafted in the 1st round, top 10, and spent more than half of his time blocking, they used lots of split back sets and he had a lot of short yardage plays. Vardell should have had 1k rushing at least a few seasons.

notable accomplishment was being the blocker for Barry Sander's only 2k season, the only season he had a lead blocker the majority of the time, probably because Sanders was impatient waiting on his blockers, and Vardell was fast enough to get out there.
WASTED CAREER
[video=youtube;1_PB9xvGOSs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_PB9xvGOSs[/video]

Hoge did have two seasons with 1100 yards from scrimmage, one was just yards away from 1200. Whites are so great at catching the receiving. I know we are fixated on White backs with 1k rushing seasons but I think 1k from scrimmage is just as valuable.

White backs with 1k from scrimmage since Craig James:

1988 Merril Hoge 1192 yards from scrimmage 6 tds.

1990 Brad Muster 1116 yards from scrimmage 6 tds.

1991 Merril Hoge 1114 yards from scrimmage 10 tds.

1999 Mike Alstott 1188 yards from scrimmage 9 tds.

2010 Peyton Hillis 1654 yards from scrimmage 13 tds

2013 Danny Woodhead 1034 yards from scrimmage 8 tds

(he would have also had 1k from scrimmage in 2010 if he hadn't missed the first few games with the Jets, but he did break it in the playoffs, so technically no, but if it had been 16 games yes.

honorable mention, Gil Fenerty 1136 all purpose yards (was a return man as well) in 1990, and 712 yards from scrimage the next year 5 tds.

Alstott 2 yards short in 98 with 998 yards and 9 tds and Hoge was 11 yards short in 1991 with 989.

the blacker the league has gotten the easier it has been to run the ball, the White leaders for yards from scrimmage is Peyton Hillis with 1654 in 2010 and 2nd is Craig James with 1587 in 85. both very elite skillsets but I wouldn't rank them up there with guys like Jim Taylor (who is 3rd with 1580 in 62 in 19 tds) or John Riggins, who would have put up much greater numbers if he were heavily featured earlier on his career. He put up elite numbers in the playoffs and did well into his mid 30's on two repaired knees back when they ended careers, and he still wasn't that dedicated to working out, he partied and from what I have read, not the best diet. He is basically what I think of whenever I think of the movie the "Great White Hope" making fun of the idea of a White heavyweight contender in boxing back in the 90s (little did they know haha). In the movie they prop up this club fighter to fight the great negro, who doesn't take it that seriously, eats whatever he wants and wins the fight easily. Thats what Riggins did, at a time when the league was darkening and succeeded. Granted they ran a lot of plays designed to get short yardage so his ypc wasn't great (like the famous Superbowl run, it was a play designed to get 1 yard, he got much more)

So considering Whites have been pretty much shut out of the position, those are some good numbers.

As far as the whole "why don't coaches just ask for a nike logo on a suit", thats basically what a few coaches did with Reebok, they had to get special permission just for a few games from what I have read. The coach for FAU (or was not sure if he still is) wore a suit not too long ago, not sure what kind of contracts colleges have, but in the South, its hot, and wearing a suit is hot. I wouldn't mind wearing one if I lived up north. It used to get colder but it rarely gets that cold down here now. People were freaking out because we had a freeze warning during Christmas time. I can only wear my bomber jacket like 2 or 3 times a year now, except for when I travel.

but like I was saying, with the emergence of Woodhead, and the lack of talent, which is decreasing among blacks, we should in theory at least see more White utility backs, or 3rd down backs. I mean, the role they have Woodhead in, guys like Chase Reynolds can easily do the same thing. He doesn't have the same elite speed (still 4.5 and can play the slot as well) but they rarely use Woodhead's speed, but I doubt we see a significant increase. After the success with the White receivers we saw quite a few legitimate White receivers like Connor Vernon not get a shot. They don't want too many and upset the balance. If a few Whites were to go down permanently then would see these guys get a real shot. I mean if they gave just a few of these guys real shots every year the league would be quickly filled with Whites going over 1k at wr. We don't have as many rbs, but we have tons of wide outs and dbs at all levels in college, technically, looking at the prospects over the years, the league should have a majority of Whites starting at wr and safety.

The only two prospects I see this year at rb are Tyler Gaffney and Jordan Lynch, but I haven't looked at the lower levels yet. Not sure if Lynch will be converted and how his receiving skills are, I am sure he can pass block.

It would be nice to see at least 2 to 3 White backs get 1k from scrimmage every year. We have guys that are capable but are rarely used in the rotation. I am supposed to believe Burkhead can't perform better than BenJarvus Green Ellis? Brian Leonard can't get more reps with Bobby Rainey who is a marginal talent at best, with a few flashes. Curious to see how the the Gerhart situation pans out. His career stats should be more like his seasonal stats, 276 carries for 1305 yards, with 1900 yards from scrimmage and 8 tds. I think his recieving yards would be less but his td numbers would be higher.

Woodhead 376 attempts 1692 yards 12 tds, but that would probably be around 2k if he were used in a traditional role, and the carries are around what Chris Johnson had for his 2k season.

Last edited:

dwid

Hall of Famer
just for fun I just found this, Vardell at Stanford. They really wasted his talent. I couldn't post two videos in the same post.

[video=youtube;AhvZaWANokg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhvZaWANokg[/video]

I would say he looked better than Toby did at Stanford with his stop and go ability (change of direction, cutting etc.) but Toby always wore that knee brace, and has looked much quicker since being in the pros without the brace.

Last edited:

foreverfree

Mentor
Tris Speaker won a World Series as a player-manager

So did Lou Boudreau.

As absurd as it is to think of chain-smoking pot bellied Jim Leyland wearing a uniform the actual thing is that managers/coaches don't wear uni's anymore that I can tell. They all wear warm-up jerseys, not game jerseys, those loose fitting, multi colored shirts look even worse then a uniform jersey but along with pitchers between starts, and guys on IR, baseball seems to have segregated the actual game uniform to guys who will actually play.

All the players, even those playing that day, wear those warmup shirts during ST games as well, it looks like.

I can't think of an example of a player-manager in another major sport. I do remember reading once that in the 1950's the Detroit Red Wings had both their goalies injured in a game and so the trainer put on the pads to finish it out!!

Lester Patrick (NYR coach) did the same thing when his (lone) goalie got hurt in a playoff game in 1928(?).

John

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Hoge had his playoff magic going again against Joe Montana and the Chiefs following the '93 season, but Caste disciple Cowher insisted on staying with that season's leading rusher Leroy Thompson. Thompson was one of the worst runners I've ever seen, no moves and he would fall down if a defender so much as brushed against him.

Against the Chiefs Thompson had 25 rushes for 60 yards and 3 catches for 4 yards. Hoge had 6 rushes for 27 yards and 3 catches for 43 yards. So Thompson had 28 touches for 64 total yards, Hoge just 9 touches but for 70 yards. The Steelers ended up losing in overtime 27-24. I have no doubt they would have won if Cowher had fed the ball to Hoge, but in his early years of coaching he fancied himself Jimmy Johnson Jr. and there was no way he was going to veer from Caste orthodoxy, even with a playoff game on the line.

bigunreal

Mentor
Bill Russell was a player coach with the Celtics in his later years. Not sure, but I think Dave Cowens was later on, too. I know Lenny Wilkins did it.

In baseball, Bucky Harris was the "boy wonder" player- manager for the 1924 World Championship Washington Senators. There were numerous other examples in the early years of baseball, with greats like Cap Anson, Frank Chance, Mickey Cochrane, Ty Cobb and Joe Cronin all serving in dual roles at some point in their careers.

In the NFL, no one has been a player coach since the really old days, when both Curly Lambeau and George Halas did it. Tom Landry came closest, serving as New York Giants defensive coordinator while still an active player.

Thrashen

Hall of Famer
The only example I can think of in the NFL is former Broncos CB, Jimmy Spencer, who during the 2003 season was both an assistant defensive coach and a backup CB. From Wikipedia…

In 2003, Spencer worked as an assistant defensive back coach with the Broncos in addition to playing, making him the first simultaneous player/coach in the NFL since Dan Reeves in 1972.

I believe that ESPN’s “Sunday NFL Countdown” had a piece about Spencer playing/coaching that aired during that season.

PamelaOC

Banned
So many things have to go right for a white running black...er, back...to be put in the best position to succeed, and there are so few of them that the odds are long. Not only do the plays have to match his style and strengths (and they're often not - just look at Woodhead), but he also needs a good white O-line. Also, The Powers That Be are very careful about NOT putting great white running backs on teams with nothing but bad black running backs (of which there are several). Gotta hide whitey behind a running black that's at least good.

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
View attachment 956
Guy gets Seahawks Superbowl champs tattoo a little too early. Pathetic.

http://www.komonews.com/sports/Man-gets-Seahawks-Super-Bowl-champs-tattoo-240352141.html?mobile=y

edit: just read the article, he got the tattoo at the BEGINNING of the season, even more pathetic
Simply put, this guy's a ***. Even if the Sewerhawks win the title, getting a tat featuring a corporate sports franchise is an asinine thing to do. I know a guy who has the interlocking Yankees N Y and the pinstripe hat. He's a nice guy who I get along with but I definitely think less of him since I learned of his ink.

I'm not a tattoo guy at all, but if you are going to mark your body for life shouldn't it reflect something important like family, culture, heritage, etc?

foreverfree

Mentor
Back to playing coaches/managers. IIRC Dan Reeves was Landry's running backs coach the last couple of seasons of his playing career.

John

davidholly

Mentor
Patriots offensive bench during the Colts game.
TmI0PKq.jpg

woody39

Mentor
So what do people reckon tonight in the championship games? Think we could see patriots seahaeks superbowl. don't see kaepernick leading the 49ers to victory in seattle think he will flop big time. patriots will have to get alot of points to beat denver but i think brady will pull em through with edelman and amendola taking advantage of denvers poor secondary. Think it could be the pats year making brady and belichick even better in fans eyes considering the injuries they have had this year.

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
So what do people reckon tonight in the championship games? Think we could see patriots seahaeks superbowl. don't see kaepernick leading the 49ers to victory in seattle think he will flop big time. patriots will have to get alot of points to beat denver but i think brady will pull em through with edelman and amendola taking advantage of denvers poor secondary. Think it could be the pats year making brady and belichick even better in fans eyes considering the injuries they have had this year.

Yeah woody39, I see the Seahawks beating the Niners, but who knows with those two.

With Denver and New England, I hope the Patriots win, but I wouldn't mind Manning and the Broncos winning and of course winning the SB. I actually like Manning better than Brady, but a Patriot SB win would be better for all of us.

However, if Manning wins, it will shut up most of Manning's critics as to who is the best QB of all-time! It could be a win either way, whether Denver or New England wins the SB. Let's just hope one of them does!

A poster at the Pro Football Researchers Association Forum just wrote that "Belichick's system is about structure rather than talent." He claims that Tom Brady's success is due to "the system."

Something of a DWF observation.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Paul Kersey writes another excellent column, this one about the racial contrast in QB's in these upcoming championship games.

http://www.vdare.com/articles/diver...lack-quarterbacks-afc-two-white-one-which-is-

The ascension of black QB's to these games:

.".. would complete the transition of the NFL—already roughly 69 percent black, 30 percent white—into just another National Basketball Association (NBA), 78 percent black, where white people just get to be consumers, paying customers and not participants in the actual sport. "

To many in the media this is a changing of the guard. From the old stodgy White Qb to the new exciting black running QB of the future. However what is failed to be mentioned is that the White boys throwing and catching teams (Pats and Broncos) are the exciting teams and the other guys are boring. Running QB exciting? It's taking advantage of a broken play??? What excitement have Wilson and Kaepernick generated? A couple of open field runs? How is that "exciting"?

On the other side you have high powered, high scoring teams, moving up and down the field as White guys toss laser accurate passes to streaking white speedsters. If Wilson and Kaepernick are the "new" direction of the game, then it sucks.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
if i recall correctly, a playoff meeting of Brady vs. Manning has happened 3 times previously, with the winner of each meeting going on to win the Super Bowl. hopefully, that happens again.

i am pulling for the Pats for the obvious reason of their incredible Whiteness in today's Negro Football League, but it won't break my heart if the Manning-led Broncs with Welker and Decker prevail. Manning is one of my favorite all-time players.

as far as the NFC goes, i literally couldn't care less about the victor. if both teams could somehow manage to lose, i would be ecstatic. in fact, the conference acronym accurately describes the odds of me actually watching that game: No F*cking Chance. instead, i will be out actually playing basketball with a bunch of White men which should make for a much better Sunday afternoon of entertainment.

Claimjumper

Mentor
didnt realize this since someone pointed it out: this will be the 1st road playoff game for the Pats since the 2006 divisional round against the chargers

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
.".. would complete the transition of the NFL—already roughly 69 percent black, 30 percent white—into just another National Basketball Association (NBA), 78 percent black, where white people just get to be consumers, paying customers and not participants in the actual sport. "
I wish Denver was 22% white!

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
Paul Kersey writes another excellent column, this one about the racial contrast in QB's in these upcoming championship games.

http://www.vdare.com/articles/diver...lack-quarterbacks-afc-two-white-one-which-is-

The ascension of black QB's to these games:

To many in the media this is a changing of the guard. From the old stodgy White Qb to the new exciting black running QB of the future. However what is failed to be mentioned is that the White boys throwing and catching teams (Pats and Broncos) are the exciting teams and the other guys are boring. Running QB exciting? It's taking advantage of a broken play??? What excitement have Wilson and Kaepernick generated? A couple of open field runs? How is that "exciting"?

On the other side you have high powered, high scoring teams, moving up and down the field as White guys toss laser accurate passes to streaking white speedsters. If Wilson and Kaepernick are the "new" direction of the game, then it sucks.

I guess what the MSM, BSPN, etc. keep forgetting is that running white QB's from Roger Staubach to Steve Young won Super Bowls. I think if I remember correctly running White QB's of old, have around 14 Super Bowl wins and have participated in 20 or more. So, if it does happen, they'll be a lot catching up to do for this so-called "NEW" phenomenon called The "Running" QB!

White QB's have been there and done it already! More insanity in the USA!

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
I guess what the MSM, BSPN, etc. keep forgetting is that running white QB's from Roger Staubach to Steve Young won Super Bowls. I think if I remember correctly running White QB's of old, have around 14 Super Bowl wins and have participated in 20 or more. So, if it does happen, they'll be a lot catching up to do for this so-called "NEW" phenomenon called The "Running" QB!

White QB's have been there and done it already! More insanity in the USA!

Exactly! Just look at Steve Young, 4.5 speed, a rocket arm and insane accuracy. John Elway was also a great athlete but never put up huge rushing numbers.

Claimjumper

Mentor
jewess pelosi is fawning over her states pet negro

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2014/01/18/nancy-pelosi-praises-colin-kaepernicks-tattoos-big-arms/

[h=1]Nancy Pelosi Praises Colin Kaepernick’s ‘Tattoos, Big Arms’[/h]WASHINGTON (CBSDC) — Nancy Pelosi says for this weekend’s NFC Championship, she’s putting her faith in the 49ers’ heart, and the QB muscular, tattooed arms.
The California Democrat, whose district includes parts of San Francisco, showed off a 49ers charm bracelet and made a not so subtle hint about wanting to take her grandkids to another Super Bowl.
The House Minority Leader really got excited talking about quarterback Colin Kaepernick.
“We love our quarterback, the tattoos, the big arms, the whole deal,†she said.

Trademark Office: ‘Redskins’ is Derogatory
She did note that the Seahawks fans appeared to be trying to make the most of their team’s home field advantage.
“The Seahawks fans are a feisty lot. They’re not selling tickets to anybody from California,†Pelosi said. “You have to be from Oregon, Washington or Alaska if you’re on the West Coast,†Pelosi said. “They like making all that noise. It’s a factor.â€
While there are no political stakes on the line, Pelosi told reporters she made a bet of “chocolate†with lawmakers from Washington state.

The San Francisco 49ers and Seattle Seahawks are playing for the right to represent the National Football Conference in the NFL championship game .