Miscellaneous Boxing News

Arerequired

Mentor

booth

Mentor
GGG in a war knocks out Murata in the 9th round. The first 5 rounds were rough for GGG. He was hurt to the body and Murata had him backing up. Then in the 6th round, GGG found his rhythm and just went to the body and head with hard shots and eventually got Murata out of there. A tough fight for GGG. No fight at 168 with Canelo. I think it would be a big mistake for GGG. I agree with Arearequired, the time for that fight is passed.

white is right

Hall of Famer
GGG in a war knocks out Murata in the 9th round. The first 5 rounds were rough for GGG. He was hurt to the body and Murata had him backing up. Then in the 6th round, GGG found his rhythm and just went to the body and head with hard shots and eventually got Murata out of there. A tough fight for GGG. No fight at 168 with Canelo. I think it would be a big mistake for GGG. I agree with Arearequired, the time for that fight is passed.
Yes I woke up to see this fight and GGG looked 40 for the first 5 rounds or so but slowly broke down Murata and then looked like a reasonable copy of his old self until the inevitable stoppage. At a higher weight and 4 years later he has virtually no chance to beat Alvarez. Unlike Woods jousting at windmills in boxing generally these beatings have long term health consequences ie Ali and Frazier.

Arerequired

Mentor
Eimantas Stanionis wins the SD over Radzhab Butaev, who fought dirty.

It probably should have been a UD.

Last edited:

freedom1

Mentor
We have learned from Trey and Kenzie that punching power is heritable. What if either one of them would have had an equivalent to Tommy's amateur experience?

white is right

Hall of Famer
We have learned from Trey and Kenzie that punching power is heritable. What if either one of them would have had an equivalent to Tommy's amateur experience?
I was going to post the result last night.

Kenzie won a relative high profile bout against Hasim Rahman Jr.(yes that Rahman) on a card that featured sons of "legends" as Duran had a son fighting on the card who lost, the G Man had a son on the card and Mike the Bounty Hunter had a son who fought on the card.

Morrison looks like his pops before he took PED's but is much rawer as you stated and needs to develop a crouching stalking style or won't be able get past this level of fighter and be a winning fighter. Maybe off this win he will get offers from a high profile trainer or even get signed by Bub or another top promotional company.

A few years back his half brother looked like the better prospect but for some reason or another his career has stalled to regressed. Kenzie could have the better career when it's all said and done.

freedom1

Mentor
Yeah, in the fight before his most recent one (in which he got KOed), Trey won, but look like a shot fighter. Your body changes, and you are done.

It was like Peyton Manning. At the end, they had to shoot him up full of drugs to get him out on the field, where just a year before he looked great. Everyone is waiting for this to happen to Tom Brady, but it never does. A very few guys have that longevity, e.g., Randy Couture and George Foreman, but the vast majority don't.

white is right

Hall of Famer
Last night Katie Taylor fought Amanad Serrano in a barn burner atg female boxing match with both fighters digging down deep to pull out the win. The Irish female star pulled out a split decision win and both fighters teams have a verbal agreement for a rematch that will be in Ireland (if the money makes sense). Normally I don't give a flying &^%^ about female fights but this fight was all it was billed and then some. I suspect the purses for the two boxers were relatively paltry by male boxing standards as it was never announced in the buildup for the fight.

I recommend any posters or lurkers to look for the fight on Youtube but it maybe hard to find as DAZN has the rights and they actively pull pirate copies on Youtube so you may only see highlights of the fight.

The Hock

Master
Don't know why this is under Misc. boxing news. It's a fairly big fight to me. I can't believe Bivol is a 5-1 underdog. I call it a toss-up.

Money on Bivol would be a good idea.

white is right

Hall of Famer
Don't know why this is under Misc. boxing news. It's a fairly big fight to me. I can't believe Bivol is a 5-1 underdog. I call it a toss-up.

Money on Bivol would be a good idea.
It shouldn't be as this fight is probably the biggest fight of the year until the Usyk vs Joshua rematch happens. Bivol is a very live dog as he is very technical and is significantly taller and in his prime unlike Kovalev.

His problem besides the system of boxing against him with judging that has bent over backwards for Alvarez in tight fights with Golovkin couple that with the fact that Bivol is even lower a profile than GGG was, is his style is to box and stay in front of his opponent and put their rhythm off by eating jabs. Aside from GGG nobody has Alvarez take a step back and set up again during a fight, instead Alvarez just marches forward and slowly breaks them down with body shots and head work.

Alvarez has even been able to cut down boxer types and is clearly peaking with strength and power and his promoter Hearn threw out a wild speculation that if Alvarez beat Bivol and won the undisputed Lt. Heavyweight title he would try to negotiate a heavyweight bout with Usyk with a max weigh in stipulation of 201. Which seems crazy on the surface considering Alvarez would be spotting 6+ inches in height and at least that in reach.

Here's the weigh in...

PS, the Big Bang Zhelei Zhang beat his club fight level opponent with one big shot to the jaw in the opening round.

This keeps him in line for the IBF eliminator against Hrgovic .

Note Hrgovic pulled out of this decent eliminator because of the death of his father so Zhang faced a last minute substitute to stay active.

Last edited:

white is right

Hall of Famer
Guys Bivol should be up around 5 rounds to 2 on my score card as he is out boxing Alvarez who has looked flatter than a Pabst beer in the hot summer sun.

Another round for Bivol in my book it should be about 6 to 2 now but this is Canelo town so who knows.

The 9th round it seemed like Alvarez won that round so it should be 6 to 3 for Bivol.

Another round for Bivol and it should now be 7 to 3 in rounds as Bivol is out boxing the lead footed Canelo.

Similar to the Led Zepplin song coined the Song Remains the Same and it's now 8 to 3 Bivol.

Even the last round should go to Bivol as Alvarez was even flat in a do or die situation. To be honest he looked too slow in the first round.

It still amazes me that long and tall guys that he fought before couldn't do this to the short and squat Alvarez.

And still the champion with a unanimous decision of 115 to 113 against the Las Vegas house fighter Dmitry Bivol wins a tight decision.

The scoring was way too close but this shows you why GGG could never get a win against Alvarez.

Last edited:

The Hock

Master
Well credit Alvarez for taking a challenge. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw Bivol a 5-1 underdog in one article.

Ha and that Hearn guy had Alvarez moving up to challenge Usyk after this.

white is right

Hall of Famer
Surprised there wasn't a big fat robbery.
The score cards were set up for a robbery as ESPN said what I said and stated the fight wasn't even that close. Canelo just had to win a round somewhere in this fight and we have a bogus draw. It still amazes me that there was no urgency on his part to win the last round, because Bivol probably would have given ground and given away the round to avoid a fluke knockout.

The first Golovkin fight was closer than this one and Canelo got the bogus draw, it's frightening how biased the judges are for the Vegas cash cow. Way back in the day Ken Norton ran from Ali in the last round of their rubber bout and waved to Ali in the waning seconds how you are not knocking me out and he was robbed by the judges by giving away the last round in a fight he clearly won.

As Hock said against Usyk all of the PED regiments in the world wouldn't help him last the distance against Usyk who would have battered him a full level worse than this mild beating.

I actually wonder if Canelo was dialed into the fight as he seemed to be more interested in playing with his daughter than showing any enthusiasm for the fight at the final press conference. Once a fighter gets soft they can easily take their foot off the gas pedal just a bit and a flat performance like this will happen.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
So happy to see Canelo finally lose a fight. He has won far too many fights he should have lost. He got killed in this fight but the crooked judges almost saved Canelo
again. Good night to celebrate him losing. Congrats to the new champion Dimitry Bivol.

booth

Mentor
Did not know Bivol had to win the last round to ensure a victory. Canelo wants a rematch, so GGG is going to miss out on a big payday. It might be a blessing for GGG though. I just think he is way past his prime.
BivolCaneloimg_3500_edited-1.jpg