Miscellaneous Boxing News

Arerequired

Mentor
This once again shows how ridiculous, not credible, and biased The Ring magazine is.......

THE RING AWARDS 2021 – PERFORMANCE OF THE YEAR: SHAKUR STEVENSON TKO 10 JAMEL HERRING

Runners Up

Brandon Figueroa KO 7 Luis Nery

Terence Crawford TKO 10 Shawn Porter

Nonito Donaire KO 4 Nordine Ouballi

Vasiliy Lomachenko UD 12 Richard Commey

Usyk's beautiful performance dethroning Joshua should have been the clear winner!! And it didn't even get a honoury mention!!!!!!

WTF! Usyk is not even on the list, meanwhile Shakur gets all the praise for beating someone he was meant beat, yet more proof boxing has a racial bias.

The Hock

Master
WTF! Usyk is not even on the list, meanwhile Shakur gets all the praise for beating someone he was meant beat, yet more proof boxing has a racial bias.

Yeah our media is giving Usyk the same treatment they gave the Klitschkos.

I think it goes back to a historical grudge myself.

Last edited:

white is right

Hall of Famer
Yes this makes no sense as Usyk won the unified title of the most prestigious divison and won it in style. He didn't even run like Michael Spinks did with Holmes in their first fight. He basically boxed in the pocket and stayed outside to recharge his energy.

Bizarre to say the least, considering it's the "bible of boxing".

NWsoccerfan

Mentor
Not a white man but Filipino boxer Mark Magsayo won a decision over Gary Russell Jr winning the WBO belt. I’m pretty sure this was considered an upset. Two judges had it 115-113 for Magsayo and Lynne Carter a black female judge scored the bout a 114-114 draw. I didn’t see the fight but it wouldnt at all surprise me if the Filipino boxer dominated Russell but was barely given the decision. We all remember Russell was soundly beaten by Lomachenko yet Lisa Giampa scored the bout a draw.

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
Not a white man but Filipino boxer Mark Magsayo won a decision over Gary Russell Jr winning the WBO belt. I’m pretty sure this was considered an upset. Two judges had it 115-113 for Magsayo and Lynne Carter a black female judge scored the bout a 114-114 draw. I didn’t see the fight but it wouldnt at all surprise me if the Filipino boxer dominated Russell but was barely given the decision. We all remember Russell was soundly beaten by Lomachenko yet Lisa Giampa scored the bout a draw.
Yes.

Magsayo won at least 8 rounds, 116-112 would have been a fair scorecard.

white is right

Hall of Famer
The WBA regular heavyweight championship is on the line Saturday night when Jonathan Guidry fights Trevor Bryan. This story could be as fantastical as anything Forrest Gump ever spun as Guidry until this training camp was a shrimp fishing deck hand first and a boxer a distant second.

Guidry is a Cajun who hasn't really fought anybody of note but then again neither has Bryan really less an extremely faded Stiverne who showed up for a title shot looking like a plus size male model. Odds are Guidry's five mintues of fame should be up at some point Saturday night but he could spring an upset as nobody really knows how good Bryan really is.

PS with King being semi retired his network contracts for showing fights on a major network are over and this fight is a 50US PPV over the internet so any posters or lurkers who want to watch this via a stream will probably be out of luck. I did see a pirate copy of the Bryan vs Stiverne fight on Youtube within a few minutes of the end of their bout so I assume that's how most people will watch this fight.https://www.boxingscene.com/jonathan-guidry-wba-title-no-joke-its-life-changing--163639

NWsoccerfan

Mentor
Without ever hearing about Guidry before, I’d say he’s a long shot to win a title and an even longer shot to successfully defend it. Of course you can’t always judge a book by its cover. Sometimes these shorter tubby heavyweight fighters prove to be very tough to stop, but not extremely difficult to win a decision over. Similar to a Joey Dawejko type. Guidry is 5’11 and according to boxrec usually is about 250lbs when he fights.

white is right

Hall of Famer
Without ever hearing about Guidry before, I’d say he’s a long shot to win a title and an even longer shot to successfully defend it. Of course you can’t always judge a book by its cover. Sometimes these shorter tubby heavyweight fighters prove to be very tough to stop, but not extremely difficult to win a decision over. Similar to a Joey Dawejko type. Guidry is 5’11 and according to boxrec usually is about 250lbs when he fights.
I never saw any of his statistics before but you are right aside from Andy Ruiz I can't recall any short and stubby heavyweights getting to the elite level of the division. Casual fans will talk Tyson but when he was a champion a heavyweight that was Usyk's size was a bigger than average heavyweight.

At the final press conference the size difference between the two heavyweights is very apparent. Ruiz has been able to deal with this gap because of his fast hands but he has heavy feet compared to his fast guns, Tyson at 215 was both fast of hand and quick footed so he could really close the gap but as I said before he was fighting essentially Bridgerweight fighters in the late 80's.https://fightnews.com/makabu-mchunu-bryan-guidry-final-press-conference/127182

Arerequired

Mentor
No boxing (except for the Guidry fight) or MMA events this weekend, next weekend some significant fights are going to happen.

white is right

Hall of Famer
No boxing (except for the Guidry fight) or MMA events this weekend, next weekend some significant fights are going to happen.
Yes this weekend is a bit of reprieve but Joey Dawejko is the b side on a ESPN card, I actually think he might go the distance with his opponent.

After the weigh in seeing the muscle tone of Guidry and the enormous size difference I don't even think I would take a flyer on him unless I was getting 50 to 1 or higher at a sports book. Unlike Ruiz who tested himself with decent prospects and faded contenders and a former champion in the White Wolf, Guidry hasn't even graduated to that level of opponent.https://fightnews.com/makabu-mchunu-bryan-guidry-weights/127241

white is right

Hall of Famer
Don't judge a book by it's cover Guidry went the distance and showed real skills and heart and according to respected judge Steve Weisfeld he was a 115-112 winner, Weisefeld was overruled by the two other judges. We missed out on a Cajun version of this scene...

PS Joey D. was pounded the way I felt Guidry would get on short notice and his corner pulled him out of the fight early in the last round while on his feet and not taking tremendous punishment.

white is right

Hall of Famer
John Ryder beats Daniel Jacobs by SD.
Big win for him as he is now the mandatory for Alvarez, but the WBA has a confusing situation where this could have been an eliminator for the regular WBA title. The fight was close and a draw or a split either way wouldn't have been out of line.

I doubt any skullduggery was involved as Hearn would have fixed the Joshua fight before this fight as the 200 million dollar purse in Saudi Arabia did a Harry Houdini act after that loss to Usyk.

white is right

Hall of Famer
Makhmudov fights Wach tommorow in Montreal. This should be a white wash as Wach is making the comeback/prospect circuit as he has lost in recent fights to Whyte, Miller and Hughie Fury he does have a recent win over fellow trial horse Kevin Johnson.

I don't know how to find a feed of this fight as it's a PPV in Canada for an over priced 60 Canadian(apx. 45 US) and my gray cable deal isn't covering the fight and the few remaining pirate sites that I know of don't have this listed. I may have to wait for a copy to be posted on Youtube.
https://www.boxingscene.com/photos-arslanbek-makhmudov-mariusz-wach-set-battle-montreal--164207

Last edited:

The Hock

Master
Makhmudov has looked like a destroyer against weak opposition. Wach will be a decent test.

I hope the Russian doesn't turn out to be another Gudrashev or whatever the guy's name was.

white is right

Hall of Famer
I found a feed of the Makhmudov vs Wach fight and Wach was there to win not lay down and collect a cheque as he at times had his moments against the bomb throwing Chechen. But in the end the power of the Chechen got the first stoppage of Wach where he was down and legitimately stunned as he didn't object to the stoppage.

I saw a feed that was voiced over from the original English feed in Polish and the commentators seemed to suggest he could get a title shot now but it would be better for his development if he fought a few more Wach types to get more seasoning. I tend to agree a Chisora type would probably be the perfect gate keeper type to roll the dice on.

PS on the under card Simon Kean fought Shawndell Winters who was a poor man's version of Wach and nearly was ko'd in a wild round with both fighters scoring knock downs with single punches. By the 9th round age and conditioning caught up with Winters and he was violently dropped twice and didn't object when the referee waved the fight off without a count after the second knock down.

I never mentioned Kean previously because I regarded him as more of suspect than prospect as he was ko'd by Dillon Carman who while having a ko over a 50 year old Razor Ruddock isn't anything close to world class and probably couldn't have been a decent sparring partner to a prime Ruddock.

PS 2 Kean is a Franco Canadian even though he has an Irish surname, Quebec has many people of distant Irish ancestry who settled in Quebec in 18th century to early 19th century and over a generation or two stopped speaking Gaelic or English. This is why he has a strong base in Quebec but is only known by hardcore fans in the rest of Canada.

Truthman

Guru
Impressive debut from elite amateur Dzmitry Asanau of Belarus, very talented lightweight.

Fight was in obscurity in Germany on a undercard on a free youtube stream. Couldn't find one single press release about his debut beforehand online.

Hr has wins over the likes of Andy Cruz, Murodjon Akhmadaliev x2, Shakhobidin Zoirov, Albert Batyrgaziev, Sofiane Oumiha, Lazaro Alvarez

Last edited:

booth

Mentor
Canelo Alvarez will fight Dmitry Bivol on May 7 at lt. heavyweight. He will then finally fight GGG towards the end of the year when GGG will be 40 years old.

white is right

Hall of Famer
This site missed the death of former contender Ron Stander who died on the 8th.

Revisionist history paints a picture of a Rocky Balboa character but at one time before his career hit the skids he was a legitimate top 10 fighter who had quality wins including a win over Ernie Shavers.

The quip from his wife noting Stander fighting Joe Frazier was like entering a VW bug in the Indy 500 made headlines and cast his career as being something of a carnival act but he was a live dog against anybody before he went on the skids career wise...https://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_...boxer-challenged-joe-frazier-title-72-dies-77

Last edited:

white is right

Hall of Famer
Yesterday afternoon an unsung classic brawl happened in England where Leigh Wood topped Michael Conlan with a classic come from behind ko after crashing violently to the deck in the first round and repeatedly being rocked in the early rounds. The tide seemed to change around the 8th round where the fighting was more even and Wood dropped the Irishman in the 11th with controversial flash knockdown. But there was no doubting the end as Conlan was ko'd on the ropes and fell through the ropes in a sickening fashion midway through the 12th round.https://fightnews.com/wood-kos-conlan-in-12-retains-wba-belt/129186

PS the violent knockdown in the first and the ending knockout are both on this highlight..

Last edited:

Truthman

Guru
Yesterday afternoon an unsung classic brawl happened in England where Leigh Wood topped Michael Conlan with a classic come from behind ko after crashing violently to the deck in the first round and repeatedly being rocked in the early rounds. The tide seemed to change around the 8th round where the fighting was more even and Wood dropped the Irishman in the 11th with controversial flash knockdown. But there was no doubting the end as Conlan was ko'd on the ropes and fell through the ropes in a sickening fashion midway through the 12th round.https://fightnews.com/wood-kos-conlan-in-12-retains-wba-belt/129186

PS the violent knockdown in the first and the ending knockout are both on this highlight..

It was an amazing incredible fight! two warriors!

Anyone who hasn't watched it yet, I suggest you watch it asap!