Matt Jones Released

Quiet Speed

Mentor
<h3 ="entry-er">Cowboys ought to give Matt Jones a chance</h3>
2:17 PM Wed, Jun 10, 2009</span></span>

Tim MacMahon/Blogger

</span>On the way to the parking lot after his press conference, Wade Phillips mentioned that the Cowboys are considering adding a receiver to the roster.

They were down to five receivers during yesterday's practice, and that group included a seventh-round pick and two undrafted rookies. They could use a pair of fresh legs out there.

Just don't get your hopes up that they'll give Matt Jones a chance.

Jerry Jones has consistently said that the Cowboys aren't interested in his fellow Razorback. Jerry reportedly reiterated that in the wee hours of Sunday morning, when he was in an, ahem, giddy state and pondered whether bringing back Pacman Jones would be a good idea.

If any NFL team has shown interest in the former first-round pick, who was released by Jacksonville after drug-related legal issues, it's managed to keep it out of the media. But Jerry wouldn't get ripped here if he gave the ex-Jaguar a shot, assuming it's a no-risk deal for the Cowboys.

The Valley Ranch line of thinking is that adding Matt Jones to the mix might impede the progress of Miles Austin and Sam Hurd. However, it's hard for Austin and Hurd to make much progress if they're not dressed out due to injuries, as has been the case during the last several days of OTAs. And, given their recent injury, that has to be a concern for the Cowboys.

more

guest301

Hall of Famer
Check out the fan forum thread below the article. Some interesting comments from the typical DWF and fans who want to give him another shot.

The Hock

Master
I used to like them when I was a kid, but I'm a full fledged Cowboy hater now, thanks to Jerry Jones. So he's drunk (again) and it comes out that he's having boozy dreams about bringing that feral pack man back? Who wants a guy like that for a boss? Matt Jones needs to cross them off his list.

And Mr. Cowboy's owner should lay off the alcohol. He's setting a fine example. As if the sepulchral bastard needs any more embalming.Edited by: The Hock

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
"Matty should join the Raiders. They like his type"

Not as long as overweight lard QB JaMarcus Russel is there trying to throw the ball. I hope the Raiders don't start Garcia. I love watching clueless Russel constantly making misreads and fumble the ball. Plus, what about those gaudy numbers he puts up, right?
smiley2.gif
smiley36.gif

If Russel starts, the media will be back to making excuses for why this guy sucks so bad. If Matt went there, he would be blamed for JaMarcus' inability to play football.

The Hock

Master
Good points Jack Lambert. The Raiders are just an overall mess and Al Davis has lost it. He's the Phil Specter of owners right now. A complete has been (although I don't think he plays with guns).

Oakland is maybe the last place Matt Jones needs to be.

forty-four

Guru
Guys. Reality check time. Is anyone going to sign Jones? It doesn't look like it. Time is running out for this season. It's just unreal. What are his other options? CFL? Arena? I can't believe he's getting 0 interest.

dwid

Hall of Famer
Arena football folded, i think there is Arena football 2 which is a lesser version. Canadian Football is going through training camp already I believe.

I dont care where he goes, Oakland, just somebody needs to sign him.

I wish the Saints would sign him. Brees has one of the most accurate deep passes, something like a 68 percent completion ratio on the deep pass when the average starter has a 50 percent on long passes. His long speed would be utilized there.

Devery is the saints deep threat but drops like 1 out of every 4 passes and is not a good route runner which is one thing that Brees cant stand. Meachem was a first round pick and still hasnt had a good season after 3 seasons and actually playing receiver in college, but he still isnt considered a bust, also cant run routes or learn the playbook.

Last year there was a play where they said he was in motion, Brees was actually yelling at him to line up in the right spot. Brees stopped trying to throw to him for a while after that.

Matt Jones would spread the field out and be a tall target. Him lined up on one side and Colston lined up the other and Shockey at tight end would be hard to defend in the redzone.

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
Maybe the UFL? Any of these options are hard for me to even think about it because he should be in the NFL!

dwid

Hall of Famer
UFL? maybe but Matt Jones is so much more talented than that. Id rather see him go the CFL than UFL, but you are right, he belongs in the NFL. 2 black coaches, black commissioner, Jim hasslet who is a very caste coach. Doesnt seems like they would be fair but they do have Adam Archuleta and David Kircus playing for Las Vegas.

Quiet Speed

Mentor
At this point, I'm with dwid. The Saints might be a good situation for Matt. I don't think it will happen. There could be too much pressure for the Shockey trade to pan out.

<h1>Matt Jones coaches at youth camp, awaits word on NFL future</h1>

I had the opportunity to speak with former Razorback quarterback Matt Jones
today at a youth football camp in Springdale. We hit on a few subjects,
including his hopes of returning to the NFL later this month after a
tumultuous year off the field.[snip]

Today, Jones was trying to deliver a positive message to nearly 100
sixth and seventh graders in Springdale. Jones, who has been training
this summer at the IMG Academies in Bradenton, Fla., is also holding
out hope that an NFL team will give him a second chance and come
calling when training camps open up later this month.

"Any team that wants to sign me would be good for me,"Â￾ Jones said.

Jones would face a $50,000 fine from the NFL in connection with his drug court violation if he returns to the NFL, according to reports. Former Arkansas coach Ken Hatfield,
who participates with several local charities, was also in attendance
today and told me that he believes Jones will be picked up by an NFL
team.

"There's a lot of different situations to be in,"Â￾ Jones said. "...
You want to go somewhere you're wanted. You want to go somewhere, where
you're going to get to play. That's what I want to do â€" just to help
the team win."Â￾

Jones credited his parents for helping him through the past year of turmoil.

"I have the best parents in the world. I've got great people around
me, so there's been some tough times but it's been easy. My family is
awesome."

dwid

Hall of Famer
Matt Jones pro highlights

I knew someone would put this video back up, although the window is a little smaller than what i originally had it. Short little comeback routes, out routes, slants barely anything deep that hits him in stride. 6'6 4.37 speed used like a possession receiver. Somebody has to realize his potential and sign him, he wouldve gotten around 1,000 yards last season if he didnt miss 4 games even being misused.

couldnt figure out how to embed it, dont know how put this up but hopefully it doesnt get taken down again, anytime there is a highlight of a pro player thats white that shows he can play on the outside and not in the slot, it gets taken down. The took my pro Jordy Nelson video down too, and most of his catches were on the outside, yet many fans insist he is a slot receiverEdited by: dwid

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
The Saints would be ideal

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Substitute any number of NFL teams for "Chiefs."

Chiefs Need to Go Out and Get WR Matt Jones

Much has been made of the Chiefs salary cap situation, instead of being over the cap the Chiefs are a cool ten million under the minimum. The ten million will have to be spent before the season starts leaving the Chiefs in a position to give extensions to young players or go out and add some more quality veterans like Mike Brown which surprisingly are still available.

The Chiefs weakest position on the field talent wise is receiver, only one player has star potential but he is not consistent enough to be the only option on the field (Dwayne Bowe).

The Chiefs are in desperate need of a receiver who can stretch the field, they signed Bobby Engram but at this stage in his career he is more of a possession receiver and does not scare anybody with his down field speed.

Hold over from last year Mark Bradley is basically the same player as Engram but a couple years younger and rookie Quentin Lawrence has speed to burn but most rookie receivers struggle to make a impact in their first season. Lawrence is not even a shoe in to make the team he will have to impress in training camp with his kick return skills to make the 53 man roster.

Enter Matt Jones former first round pick who spent his first four seasons in Jacksonville, Jones finally started to put it together last season and may have had a thousand yard season had a suspension not cost him three games.

Jones spent his college career at Arkansas playing QB but switched to receiver for the draft. At six foot six Jones is a rare physical specimen who can stretch the field with his 4.37 40 time. Exactly the player the Chiefs need a big speedy receiver who is just coming in to his prime and can draw defenders away from D- Bowe.

The reason Jones has not been signed yet has more to do with last years suspension rather than his talents and if anybody can take a risk on a talented but troubled receiver it's Scott Pioli.

Remember Scott Pioli was the one who landed Randy Moss in New England for a fourth round pick when it looked like Randy had given up on football. This is the same situation but on a much smaller scale Jones is big and fast like Moss but has not shown or accomplished near as much in his career.

If Pioli does decide to bring in Jones it would immediately upgrade the Chiefs passing attack that will be very stale without a speed receiver in addition they would be getting a motivated receiver after years of hearing himself called a first round bust.

The Chiefs could sign Jones to a one year incentive laden deal that could get the Chiefs 20 or 30% to the minimum salary requirements. Jones is worth taking a flyer on even if it's just for one season, the reward could out weigh the risk in spades for the Chiefs.
http://nationalsportsreview.com/sports/us/NFL/2009/07/09/chiefs-need-to-go-out-and-get-wr-matt-jones/

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Matt Jones, as far as his playing goes, has accomplished a great deal considering the small amount of time he was given on the field. He's a great WR who hasn't had a chance to shine, with the exception of last year. If some team picks him up and actually uses him on game day, they will feel like the smartest people in the league.

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
I hope the Chiefs sign Jones, they have gotten a lot whiter this offseason under Pioli and Haley. Jones could instantly start and give Cassel a good downfield weapon. The Chiefs may be a team to root for this year.

guest301

Hall of Famer
Congratulations on your recent 2000th post Whiteathlete33!
smiley32.gif

white lightning

Hall of Famer
From one hall of famer,guest 301 to the next one. Congrats whiteathlete33. Is the 33 any reference to Larry Bird? Just curious.

Matt Jones needs to sign somewhere soon so he can learn the teams playbook. It is not easy to learn a thick list of plays in a short period of time. Also he needs to get back into full football shape as the season is very long.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
While hating Matt Jones is a permanent obsession for the DWFs, I found these blurbs just now in RotoWorld. Just another day at the office for those lovable, charismatic, superiorblack players:

According to the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel, the Packers "repeatedly" warned Johnny Jolly about the seedy company he kept in his hometown of Houston before the defensive lineman's arrest for felony drug possession.

<DIV =s_pNewsTextMain>Jolly kept hanging with the same crowd, however, and is likely now facing an NFL suspension, if not prison time. Jolly's lawyers plan to argue that his friends were a bad influence and that most of the codeine police found on him last July wasn't his. Jolly does have a clean record, which can't hurt.
Source: Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel

Coming off a disappointing season in 2008, Antonio Cromartie blames at least five paternity suits for keeping his head out of the game.

<DIV =s_pNewsTextMain>At this pace, he's going to going to shatter the records of Travis Henry and Shawn Kemp. Cromartie, who is not married or engaged, has at least seven kids in five states. The 2007 Pro Bowler is now fully recovered from a fractured hip that hampered him throughout last season.
Source: San Diego Union-Tribune

Even though he played nickel corner for the Bills last year, [recently arrested and tasered] Donte Whitner will be focusing on safety this season.

<DIV =s_pNewsTextMain>Reggie Corner, Drayton Florence and Ashton Youboty will compete for the nickel corner job. Whitner was merely filling in last year for an injured Youboty. Whitner faces the possiblity of losing a starting job this year to Jairus Byrd. IDP leaguers watch out.
Source: buffalobills.com

Darren McFadden reached a custody and child support deal with the mother of his 16-month-old son.

<DIV =s_pNewsTextMain>McFadden will fork over $8,000 per month, a $10,000 lump sum and start a $50,000 formal education fund for his child. McFadden never denied paternity and has been voluntarily paying substantial child support since his son's birth. Sounds like McFadden is doing the right thing and the situation will be off his mind at training camp.
Source: Northwest Arkansas Times

Dolphins GM Jeff Ireland had no comment when asked if the team was interested in free agent Michael Vick.

<DIV =s_pNewsTextMain>Former NFL head coach Denny Green had predicted that Bill Parcells would find a creative way to add Vick, and owner Stephen Ross said he believes the QB deserves a second chance. [Where's Matt Jones' second chance for a crime that was about 1/100th as bad as Vick's] It's hard to believe Parcells would sign Vick after using a second-round pick on Pat White to perform a similar role.
Source: South Florida Sun-Sentinel
Related:Dolphins

Dolphins DL Randy Starks' arraignment on aggravated battery charges will be July 14.

<DIV =s_pNewsTextMain>Starks allegedly veered his large, slow-moving truck into a police officer on South Beach in the early morning hours of May 24. The felony carries a minimum of five years in state prison. His lawyer is still hoping to get the case dismissed. Starks' status for the season is unclear.
Source: South Florida Sun-Sentinel

Donte' Stallworth was released from a Miami jail today after serving 24 days for DUI manslaughter.

<DIV =s_pNewsTextMain>Stallworth has been suspended indefinitely by the NFL. It's unlikely he'll play in the NFL this season, even though he's under contract with the Browns.
Source: Associated Press