Matt Jones Released

WHITE NOISE

Mentor
There is no other combination in the NFL with regard to size, height and sheer speed other than Matt Jones. While watching your video I couldn't believe how under used Jones was and how pathetic most of those passes were. Matt Jones made some difficult catches in traffic on most of those plays. He should have been used outside on deep pass plays. I hate Del Rio and the Jaguars for ruining Matt's career, hope they suck again this year.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I agree with you white lightning. I can only hope that Matt is given a real chance to not only make the team, but get a lot of playing time.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
As of now the starting receivers for the Titans are Justin Gage and Nate Washington. Obviously Jones is a huge upgrade over both of them but this is the NFL. http://www.realgmfootball.com/src_wiretap_archives/13503/20090902/agent_titans_matt_jones_close_to_deal/

It looks like he is close to a deal. I wouldn't mind him playing for the Titans as even the media or the coaches can't say he is not worthy of starting for the team. The receivers they currently have are horrendous.Edited by: whiteathlete33

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
The funny thing about him probably ending up on the Titans is that he is a better QB and athlete than Vince Young. Vince Young was actually compared to Matt Jones and was projected as a WR before his senior year. I am sure if Matt was black he would of been given the chance at QB.

On a side note I also find it funny that Terell Pryor is getting all this hype when Matt Jones was a better version of him in college and did not have the same supporting cast that Pryor will have.

I wish Matt Jones luck if he gets picked up by the Titans or any other team.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Listen to this pile of horse s--t article with blatant outright lies throughout. It also plugs every black scrub WR on the Titan's roster and says adding Jones will hold the "brothas" back. (other than rookie Britt- who could be good- they have two other black scrub draft picks from the last two drafts. The Titans have no one, the two incumbent starters are crap). Is the American media really this nuts? I guess they are with lunatics like this "caste vermin" running the show. Does this guy really believe what he wrote. What a pathological liar. A 4.37 40 isn't fast enough?
smiley8.gif

Titans looking at Jones, but can they do better?

September 2, 2009 7:00 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Paul Kuharsky

The Titans are going to take a closer look at Matt Jones.
Jones

The troubled receiver has been out there since the Jaguars cut him March 16.

I think he can be an effective possession receiver, assuming he's got his off-the-field stuff together. He'll benefit from the differing expectations of a new team counting on him to convert a third-and-7 rather than a team looking for him to be a big-play receiver, as Jacksonville inevitably did when it spent the 21st pick in the 2005 draft on a player who was a quarterback at Arkansas.

I know Titans fans are going to jump to conclusions, but having Jones in and signing him are two different moves. (Recall, please, Byron Leftwich.)

Would he be the right guy for the Titans?

Well, I think Justin Gage is a more physical, more polished version of the same cut of receiver and that first-round pick Kenny Britt can be, too. Would you be stunting Britt's growth by bringing in Jones?

Adding Jones wouldn't be indicting Gage, the injured Nate Washington or Britt. It would be saying the Titans aren't completely confident in Dominique Edison, a sixth-round draft pick, or Lavelle Hawkins, a fourt- rounder from 2008, who's still not reliable enough.

My guess is the Titans want to be poised to grab Jones, but that they'd hope to find a better fit -- a shiftier, faster and more explosive guy who also might be a return candidate -- on Saturday when they comb through players cut around the league.
Edited by: ToughJ.Riggins

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Justin Gage runs a 4.65 at 6'4 215 lbs. Matt Jones runs a 4.37 at 6'6 220 lbs. and had a breakout year last year with a QB that preferred shorter or dump off throws. Matt Jones was held back by his team and injury problems until last year when he was on pace for a 1,000 yard season (before suspension) in only his 4th year EVER playing WR.

And lets add this final whooper> Despite being a WR since college Gage's best season was less productive than Matt Jones year last year. But Gage had his 55 catch year for 750 yards and 2 TDs in 16 games in 07'/08'. Jones had his 65 catch year for 761 yards and 2 TDs just last year in only 12 games. The most TDs Jones' had in a season is 5 and Gage's best is 6. But in 5 seasons compared to Matt Jones 4, Gage has less TDs than Jones- 15 compared to 12. My how great it is to have black skin in the U.S of A with pathological liars pronouncing you as a "superior".

Kaptain

Master
Is Paul Kuharsky an actual paid writer? Not that I would be surprised, but it is just amazing that so-called professionals or "experts" have so little subject knowledge. A 6'6" 4.37 possession reciever? Not only does Jones have more potential than their # one reciever he also has better stats. How could any team not want that? Who cares about a kick returner when you could get a potential #1 reciever? Kick returners are a dime a dozen. My only fear of Jones and the Titans is the inevitable possibility of the return of the Vince Young experiment.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
It just never ends. I wrote earlier that even the media couldn't put Jones down when you have bums like Washington and Gage as your starting receivers. I was wrong as ToughJ already found an article degrading Jones.

WHITE NOISE

Mentor
" Assuming he's got his off-the field stuff together."It's not like Matt Jones was killing dogs for fun and profit. But I suppose the dog murderer ConVick is a far better prospect to amend his evil ways, compared to someone that had a couple of beers whilst playing golf.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Well, hopefully Matt Jones will get signed and be able to play for the Titans. Playing there is better than nowhere.

Tom Iron

Mentor
whiteathlete33,

Sir, I know that Matt jones deserves to play football, but I remember the coach of JVille saying he was lazy as well. Is there anything too that do you think?

Tom Iron...

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Tom Iron, it seems like DWF like to repeat anything they hear in the media or from caste coaches. I guess that may be the case. He has the chance to prove everyone wrong as he is supposedly in excellent shape.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Tom Iron said:
whiteathlete33,

Sir, I know that Matt jones deserves to play football, but I remember the coach of JVille saying he was lazy as well. Is there anything too that do you think?

Tom Iron...

Matt Jones just has a laid back personality and doesn't get riled up much. He does try hard on the field and even cried once at Arkansas when his team lost a big game. He's also a long strider, so he might look like he isn't running full speed when he actually is blazing down the field. A lot of the rumor you talk about seems to be media and DWF BS. He even showed much improvement in his hands last season. In the past, he didn't seem comfortable making a catch in a crowd across the middle when he was going to get rocked by a defender. Last season though, he improved his game all around.

bigunreal

Mentor
Yes, we all know how intolerant the NFL is of laziness. We certainly never see any black athletes who are lazy. Completely ridiculous.