March Madness 2022

Phall

Master
Hunter Dickinson crushed it again for Michigan. You all will forgive me marking out a bit for the Wolverines!

Hunter Dickinson crushed it again for Michigan. You all will forgive me marking out a bit for the Wolverines!
I live in Michigan. That’s my team!! So sad that with John Beilein they were very white friendly but Dickinson is a monster!!

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
Michigan finally looks like the team they were expected to be at the beginning of the year. Hunter Dickinson is really carrying them!

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
Saint Mary’s had a terrific season, but at this time of the year you go home when you go cold. the Gaels missed at least 13 layups (and a whole bunch of wide open threes). you can’t miss that many good looks and expect to advance.

give a hat tip to UCLA. their defense in the second half was strong. Jacquez is super tough when he posts up opposing guards. hope his ankle isn’t serious.

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
Doug Edert making some clutch shots again for #15 St Peter’s. They are a few minutes from advancing.

white is right

Hall of Famer
The Zags are in danger in being eliminated in the 2nd round. Similar to last game they aren't in gear but unlike last game they aren't playing a mid major patsy. They will have to turn it up a notch to pull this out against a very good Memphis team.

PS as of a minute ago Drew Timme has taken over the game and has willed and skilled the Zags to a 2 point deficit with 10 and change to go in the game.

Memphis is reeling and their bigs are in foul trouble and the Zags look like the best team in college basketball.

Last edited:

Bucky

Hall of Famer
Zags tied it up. Memphis is getting away with bullying fouls, no calls.

Phall

Master
Saint Mary’s had a terrific season, but at this time of the year you go home when you go cold. the Gaels missed at least 13 layups (and a whole bunch of wide open threes). you can’t miss that many good looks and expect to advance.

give a hat tip to UCLA. their defense in the second half was strong. Jacquez is super tough when he posts up opposing guards. hope his ankle isn’t serious.

Yeesh, that's my first "bracket bust" of the weekend. Cheers to all!

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
Zags win! Drew Timme was the hero. 25 points and 14 rebounds. 21 in the 2nd half. He was unstoppable.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
What a game by Timme. He had 25 points and 14 rebounds to help Gonzaga pull out a huge win after trailing by 10 at the half. Way to go Bulldogs!

white is right

Hall of Famer
Zags win! Drew Timme was the hero. 25 points and 14 rebounds. 21 in the 2nd half. He was unstoppable.
Timme looked like Larry Legend with his creative game and excellent passing. I looked at mock drafts and he was listed in one as a late 2nd round pick but he has too much game for that part of the draft IMO.

white is right

Hall of Famer
Michigan finally looks like the team they were expected to be at the beginning of the year. Hunter Dickinson is really carrying them!
I love how bigs haven't been phased out of the college game and a dominant big can be the difference maker in a relatively even match up. This is a reason why no mid major really has realistic shot to win the tournament as guys like Dickinson would bully the big of a team like St. Peters who's big is only about 6'7" or so. It reminds me of when I played pick up ball and there were junior high kids on the courts and being roughly 6' I could do what I wanted with a player a half foot shorter.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Villanova Senior Guard Collin Gillespie is off to a great start. He has scored 10 of the 17 points for Villanova so far. Looking like it's going to be a huge game for him!

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
Badgers in trouble. What is going on with them today? Can’t seem to score….

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
as for Wisconsin, the only thing you need to know: 2-22 from three point range and 17 turnovers. that combination is gonna get your butt beat at any level of basketball.

a broad-brush commentary brought about due to the Notre Dame loss/meltdown: so many coaches outsmart themselves when they have the lead late in games, i think, by abandoning the style of play that earned them the lead (Mark Few of Gonzaga is notorious for this). call it the basketball equivalent of a prevent defense.

specifically, during the Notre Dame game, the Irish had a 4-point lead and the ball. Goodwin was the hot hand, and Ryan has been their best player down the stretch this season (including a dominant performance in their opening round win). so what does head coach Mike Brey do? he runs isolation plays for their freshman afflete. BIG mistake. why?

well, for starters, he was 3-15 shooting for the game. secondly, he’s a terrible decision maker, and this was borne out in the game. the “dynamic” freshman “dynamically” bricked a lay-up then turned the ball over on THREE CONSECUTIVE PLAYS resulting in a lead becoming a 7-point deficit.

i just don’t understand the reasoning of such a poor strategy, yet i see coaches do something similar very, very often.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
The University of Arizona suvives in overtime. Not a good game for the team but Koloko was very good. Our guys stunk tonight to be honest. Glad they are still alive in
the tournament though. To play bad and still win is usually a good sign of a very strong team and they deserve their number one seeding.

white is right

Hall of Famer
Purdue advanced in the tournament and my new favorite James Bond villain Zach Edey is the biggest down low presence in Big 10 history. They play St. Peters and "should" blow out the Cinderella with size. I haven't been this amused by a James Bond villain big since NBA fringe player Tacko Fall was doing his impression of Jaws...

Last edited:

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
does anyone else here watch the women’s games? if not, i will submit that the player pool of NCAA Tourney participants on the ladies’ side provides even more evidence that a Caste System exists (at least) in men’s athletics in the USA.

how? there are dozens of all-White or nearly-all-White (with maybe a single chocolate chip out there) women’s teams playing in the Dance. there are numerous all-conference players, conference players of the year, and all-Americans on the court who lack superfluous melanin.

logically, there can’t be that stark a contrast in the talent (genetic) pool between males and females of White folks. so, clearly, there is something skewing the demographics of basketball rosters in the men’s game.

Phall

Master
Purdue advanced in the tournament and my new favorite James Bond villain Zach Edey is the biggest down low presence in Big 10 history. They play the St. Peters and "should" blow out the Cinderella with size. I haven't been this amused by a James Bond villain big since NBA fringe player Tacko Fall was doing his impression of Jaws...

Lol three years of him in the Big Ten and you haven't share this! We don't have to be negative when calling him a brutal monster!