Los Angeles Rams General Thread

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Nice short video on Ben Skowronek and why the Rams drafted him:

icsept

Master
Nice. The Rams might be the new Patriots of the West. Featuring White skill players all over the field. Now with Kupp, Higbee, Funk, and Skowronek. Also projected to have an all-White O-Line and White QB.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Ben Skowronek's uncle is Trent Green.

Ben Skowronek became obsessed with football thanks to his uncle, Trent Green

by Cameron DaSilva

Ben Skowronek is hoping to make the Los Angeles Rams’ 53-man roster as a seventh-round rookie out of Notre Dame, bringing a physical presence to the team’s wide receiver room. He won’t be handed a roster spot, of course, and will need to show that his 6-foot-3 frame carries some value both on offense and special teams.

He had a distant connection to the Rams before even being drafted, too. His uncle is former Rams quarterback Trent Green, and someone Skowronek has looked up to throughout his life. In a recent interview with team reporter Sarina Morales, Skowronek discussed his relationship with Green and how the ex-NFL quarterback helped him become obsessed with football.

“Throughout this process, just talking to him, he’s given me advice since I was a kid and all that, so I’ve looked up to him,” he said. “I remember going to Rams games as a kid and after I got drafted, my family put up a picture from one of the games we went to and I was like, ‘Wow, that kid really grew up to be drafted by the Rams.’ So it was kind of surreal and full circle. He’s been great for me, just being able to bounce stuff off him. I think he’s the reason I fell in love with the game of football. Being able to go to these NFL games, going on the field after the games, talking to the players. I remember when he was with the Chiefs, after a game, I was just sitting on the curb talking to Dante Hall. It’s crazy stuff. Or Tony Gonzalez. Because of him, I really just became obsessed with the game of football.”

Skowronek spent four years at Northwestern before joining Notre Dame as a grad transfer. In total, he caught 139 passes for 1,856 yards and 13 touchdowns.

He now has a chance to stand out as a big-bodied receiver for the Rams, being one of their biggest pass catchers compared to the likes of Robert Woods, Cooper Kupp, DeSean Jackson, Tutu Atwell and Van Jefferson.

He has the mindset and frame to succeed in the NFL, it’s just a matter of impressing coaches in camp and throughout the early portion of his career.

https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2021/06/14/rams-draft-ben-skowronek-trent-green-uncle/

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
That's a cool connection. Trent Green was a great QB in the first half of of the 2000s - quality run with the Chiefs. Skowronek is a big WR, here's to hoping he stays healthy. I still can't believe the Rams drafted a 150lb WR in the 2nd round.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Although Weenieworld doesn't even mention him, the injury to Akers will boost Jake Funk's chances of making the team and getting some touches:

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports Cam Akers suffered a torn Achilles' tendon while training.
Akers will miss the entirety of the 2021 season while recovering from the injury. The news is devastating for Akers, who was poised for a breakout campaign in his second year as a pro. Akers finished his rookie season on a hot streak and Sean McVay had nothing but praise for him this offseason. Darrell Henderson will take on an expanded role with Akers out but the Rams will almost certainly be looking for a veteran to bring in as well. Le'Veon Bell, Adrian Peterson, and Duke Johnson headline the notable free agents still available. With Henderson owning an impressive receiving skill set, Peterson or Bell make more sense for the Rams' needs than Johnson. Even with the threat of a veteran looming, Henderson's projected role within an ascending offense locks him into RB2 numbers and gives him an outside chance of posting an RB1 season.

Bucky

Hall of Famer
These are the types of breaks our guys need! Great news indeed.

TwentyTwo

Master
I counted 32 white players and 52 black players on the L.A. Rams roster out of the 85 man roster.

They made 5 cuts today...otherwise the 90 man roster would have had 34 whites 55 blacks & 1 hispanic.

Need to check out the Vikings and Bills rosters to compare.

Rookie WR Bennett Skowronek fractured his forearm Saturday and needs surgery, so he’ll be sidelined for a bit. He could start the year on IR,

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Starting RB Darrell Henderson isn't playing in preseason games in order to keep him healthy, yet still managed to sprain his thumb in practice. Normally I'd say this is good news for Jake Funk, but Henderson being so fragile makes it more likely that the Rams will sign a back "off the street" who will immediately leapfrog over Funk in the pecking order.

Don you’re a psychic. The rams traded for Sony michel of the patriots this morning. Basically demoting Jake funk to 3/4 string.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Been around the block a time or two..

Lol. Yep. Pats got a 5th and 6th rounder for him too - not bad considering he was going to be a FA after the season.

Funk has obviously shown he has the talent and ability to play at this level. He should be a roster lock but like Bucky said “been around the block a time or two”.

Warhawk_46

Master
Given Funk’s dynamic athleticism and power, were he black there would be no question he would be in line to start. Who was the undrafted black player for Jacksonville a couple years back... he had no problem starting.

Maybe the Hillis curse will happen and Michel and Henderson go down and McCuck has no option but to start whitey... and Jake Funk turns in a stellar year and doesn’t look back. He has the moxie not to “just be thankful to be here” but to make bitches out of black defenders.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Given Funk’s dynamic athleticism and power, were he black there would be no question he would be in line to start. Who was the undrafted black player for Jacksonville a couple years back... he had no problem starting.

Maybe the Hillis curse will happen and Michel and Henderson go down and McCuck has no option but to start whitey... and Jake Funk turns in a stellar year and doesn’t look back. He has the moxie not to “just be thankful to be here” but to make bitches out of black defenders.[/QUOTE

I love that last statement you made. Yes Funk is fast and explosive yet very powerful at the same time. He can truck(run over people) in a ny minute. I'm very excited
to see how this season plays out. Even in limited touches he should at least make an impact. I'm hoping they just play him on a regular basis and ignore his skin color. The
kid is electric and will be a fan favorite from day one. Play the man. Then sit back & grab your popcorn & prepare to be amazed!

Aus2G

Both Henderson and Michel are somewhat unjury prone, so there is hope yet for Funk. Arguably he had earned the No.2 spot so at worst he should still make the squad.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
My hope is that this trade is just for more depth but this the NFL and we know what happens to our guys. Hope Funk gets treated better
than most of our guys. The guy is a stud and just needs to play. He would average 100 a game if he started. Let's stay positive and hope
for the best. This trade just puts me in a negative mood. as Funk was a lock before they made it. He better not be stuck on the practice
squad.

Rocky B

Master
Funk isn’t going to be on the practice squad....
He’s going to be playing....
I saw the trade earlier and knew what was up, don’t depend too much on the lunch pail is what they were thinking.....Ugghhhhh....Go Jake.....

Phall

Master
Yeah at least Michel is experienced at tweaking something while sh*tting the bed. He gave up carries to Rex Grossman fergodsakes. Could be 5D chess by the Rams GM if he really believes in Funk!

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
The Rams are likely to have 8 White starters on offense and 1.5 on defense.

Stafford, Kupp, Higbee and a Snow Plow on offense. On defense Troy Reeder (a WTM) at ILB and half Asian Taylor Rapp. Funk, Mundt and Gaines could all get meaningful snaps as well.

I think this is going to be my favorite team this year!

white lightning

Hall of Famer
The Rams and then the Vikings are my teams I will closely watch. Also love the Bills, Panthers and a few others.

If Funk can get enough carries the Rams will be the team on this board with him and Kupp making hilite reel plays.

Jerry Reb

Mentor
Our guys on the 2021 Los Angeles Rams (starters in bold):

Offense

QB - Matthew Stafford, John Wolford
OL - *snow plow* Andrew Whitworth, David Edwards, Brian Allen, Austin Corbett, Rob Havenstein, Coleman Shelton
WR - Cooper Kupp, Ben Skowronek
TE - Tyler Higbee, Johnny Mundt
RB - Jake Funk

Defense

DL - Greg Gaines, Jonah Williams, Michael Hoecht
LB - Troy Reeder

Special Teams

K Matt Gay, P Johnny Hekker, LS Matthew Orzech

Total white starters: 9
Total whites on roster: 20
Overall grade: B-

Last edited: