Kevin Curtis

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Congratulations to Kevin Curtis on beating back his testicular cancer. He's still better than many starting receivers in the NFL. Let's see if a team "takes a chance" on this proven commodity who should still have several good years left.
After bout with cancer, WR Kevin Curtis ready for return

Here is a story you can root for no matter what city you are in.

Veteran wide receiver Kevin Curtis(notes) is ready to make a return to the NFL.
<DIV id=sidebar>

Adam Caplan of Fox Sports reports that Curtis has been cleared to work out for teams now after being treated for testicular cancer in September. His agent Ryan Tollner has started notifying teams that Curtis is ready to play.

"He's feeling great,"Â￾ Tollner told Caplan. "His knee is 100 percent and he's already passed a physical. He's looking forward to playing."

Curtis received a $32 million, six-year contract from the Philadelphia Eagles in 2007 but his career there was cut short by injuries, and he was cut loose in March.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=nfp-20101112_after_bout_with_cancer_wr_kevin_curtis_ready_for_return

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Great news for Kevin. He's one of my favorite receivers. He's very talented and if not for his injuries I believe he would put up Reggie Wayne type numbers.

TwentyTwo

Master
Thanks for he update Don! Great news indeed! He's one of my favorite WR's as well! The league simply is not the same w/o him (and Matt Jones)...had the privilage of watching a live game with Curtis playing for Utah Stateslicing and dicing LSU in Tiger Stadium 3 days before 9-11!

Hopefully we won't be hearing of "diminished skills" like we have with Matt Jones...he's a game changer and a vertical threat down-field...he still should be running in the 4.4 range at age 32..will never forget his colossal game with Eagles in 07' vs Lions with 9 rec 205 yards in 1st half!

Naturally Kevin Curtis was a walk-on in college!Only after being thenation's Leader in Receptions as a junior with 100...was he worthy for a scholarship for his Sr. year

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Nice to hear that Kevin is marketing himself again and I hope a team picks him up. It would be great to see him on the field again. Talking about Utah State, they have given quite a few White skill players a tough time over the last decade and even before. They love their black quarterbacks in Logan and don't use White WRs/CBs/RBs much either.

Patrick

Guru
Am I naive as a Patriots fan to hope they are the team that picks him up? There are CONSTANT complaints about the lack of a deep threat after Moss has left, and Tate has two skills - great speed and the ability to drop any pass that is thrown directly at him and Branch can't get healthy and hasn't been effective since his first game in New England nearly 5 weeks ago.

If he did get picked up by the Pats he would be a good influence on the "young locker room" as he's never been a diva and still has good speed.

OOooh imagine if the Pats had a white deep threat, Woodhead in the backfield, Gronkowski lined up with Welker and Curtis. Dare I say 10 out of 11 offensive players being white on the Pats? Nah, I'm sure that's a foul or something - probably get called for an illegal formation.

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
I didn't know he had ball cancer. I just figured he was getting screwed like most of the other white receivers in the league.

Good for him and may he land with a playoff team.

Borussia

Guru
Good luck Kevin! If teams give you a serious look, you should be signed soon. A terrific player who can give a few more years yet.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Isn't it strange one of the fastest players in college football was a walk on? Then he got limited playing time in St Louis before finally becoming a full time starter in Philly and breaking 1,000 yards all while still being labeled a second or third receiver at best. Strange huh?

PhillyBirds

Mentor
It was a real pleasure to watch him in his 1,100 yard season in Philadelphia a couple years back. He was still fast as hell and torched secondaries all over the place, including 200+ against Detroit. His was the first and only NFL jersey I ever bought.

Best of luck to him.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Maybe the Browns can pick him up as a more consistent deep threat than Cribbs- who is more of a return man and utility player, go undefeated the rest of the season, make the playoffs and become AFC champions. If all this happens I win $50,000, as I bet $200 on the Browns to be AFC champions when the odds were 1/250!
smiley32.gif

alln2

Guru
ToughJ.Riggins said:
Maybe the Browns can pick him up as a more consistent deep threat than Cribbs- who is more of a return man and utility player, go undefeated the rest of the season, make the playoffs and become AFC champions. If all this happens I win $50,000, as I bet $200 on the Browns to be AFC champions when the odds were 1/250!
smiley32.gif

Lets contact Hillis and tell him to put some good words for Curtis and Matt Jones. The Browns receivers (other than Evan Moore) are a joke, so they definitely need good WRs.

WHITE NOISE

Mentor
They also need receivers that know to take a knee or get out of bounds in over-time with the ball in field goal range!Edited by: WHITE NOISE

alln2

Guru
alln2 said:
Lets contact Hillis and tell him to put some good words for Curtis and Matt Jones. The Browns receivers (other than Evan Moore) are a joke, so they definitely need good WRs.

Nobody cares about my proposal ?

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
From Rotoworld:

In addition to the Giants, the Lions also worked out free agent WR Kevin Curtis this week.
<div ="s_pNewsTextMain">
Teams are simply kicking his tires to see how healthy he is after knee
surgery and a bout with a cancerous testicle. Expect Curtis to continue
his workout tour before he's signed.
</div>

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
Some good news regarding Kevin Curtis.

From Rotoworld:

Free agent Kevin Curtis is reportedly hoping to sign with a team by Tuesday.

Curtis, 32, has strung together a ton of tryouts over the past few days, visiting the Lions, Seahawks, and Giants. The G-Men no longer appear to be an option, but Curtis has history with Lions OC Scott Linehan and couldn't possibly be worse than current No. 3 receiver Bryant Johnson. If Curtis has as much ability left as he did in 2007, he'd be a better option than Nate Burleson.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
If Curtis were to end up with the Lions he should be able to step in as the number two receiver immediately, in a fair league of course. Even if he ends up the number three receiver he should end up with a decent amount of catches. Of course, if Curtis had any success at all on the Lions the media would give all the credit to Calvin Johnson.

Thrashen

Hall of Famer
Mike Martz supposedly told Troy Aikman before a Rams playoff game that "Kevin Curtis is the fastest receiver I've ever seen."

Of those teams, the Lions have the best track record with respect to white WRs. I wish the very best for Curtis.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Maybe Martz could try to get him on the Bears...a Cutler-Curtis connection would be great.