Kelly Pavlik vs. Jermain Taylor

JD074

Master
Liverlips said:
Pavlik has to be Ring's 2007 fighter of the year so far. His trademark KOs (where opponents are out before they hit the ground)are incredible and beating Taylor, Miranda and Zertuche in one year leaves no questions about who is the man at 160.

You make a strong case!
smiley32.gif

Whites own 15 of the 20 belts from middle to heavyweight. Too bad Diaconu got injured as we would have had 16 this morning.

I dunno. I love Diaconu, but Dawson could be tough. Tall, long, southpaw, good handspeed, good defense. Diaconu would have to overcome a lot to beat him.

speedster

Mentor
This is the biggest win by a White American fighter against a mestizo or black upper-echelon,high-profile opponent in years.I'm trying to rack my brain and look-up the last one.Rossman-Galindez,maybe.Antuofermo-Hagler,Vito got a disputed draw but when you're the champ it's as good as a win although Vito was born in Italy.O'Grady-Kenty,this was a good win but Kenty was not all that.Paul Spadafora had some good wins as lightweight champ but no world-beaters.Hmmm.

JD074

Master
jaxvid said:
That was a hellava fight, those guys were bombing each other, I thought either guy could go at any time the way they were hammering each other, Pavlik's jab was scoring at will and it just added up, but Kelly took some shots too. They rarely clinched and the action was furious. Just a great entertaining fight and a win for the good guys!

Yeah, you could tell how good Pavlik's jab was from Taylor's face after the fight. His right eye was more swollen than his left. That jab was a dagger all night. Taylor's counter-punching posed problems for Pavlik, and he was able to get off the ropes, unlike Miranda. Steward's prediction (3rd round KO) almost came true, except a round early. I'm so glad it didn't, because Steward's trash talking was pissing me off! Shut up and go train Andy Lee or Wlad!
smiley36.gif

I actually felt a little sorry for Taylor after the fight. He was stuttering and looked really broken up. Oh well. Somebody had to lose, and I'm just glad it wasn't Kelly!

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
JD074 said:
I actually felt a little sorry for Taylor after the fight. He was stuttering and looked really broken up. Oh well. Somebody had to lose, and I'm just glad it wasn't Kelly!

I felt sorry for Taylor too. He's got a lot more class than people like Shannon Briggs, who always have an excuse when they lose and never give their opponents any credit. And Taylor seems to be a good guy, for example buying a house for his parents even though his father abandoned him as a small boy. And he doesn't seem arrogant like Mayweather.

The sports media has been as hard on Taylor as toward white fighters like Wladimir, because he won two decisions over one of their "gods", Bernard Hopkins. Unlike Hopkins, Taylor doesn't resort to all the dirty, illegal tricks. He seems like a good sport, so I wish him well.

It would be great to see Pavlik retire Hopkins or Wright now...

white is right

Hall of Famer
speedster said:
This is the biggest win by a White American fighter against a mestizo or black upper-echelon,high-profile opponent in years.I'm trying to rack my brain and look-up the last one.Rossman-Galindez,maybe.Antuofermo-Hagler,Vito got a disputed draw but when you're the champ it's as good as a win although Vito was born in Italy.O'Grady-Kenty,this was a good win but Kenty was not all that.Paul Spadafora had some good wins as lightweight champ but no world-beaters.Hmmm.
If you don't count Antufermo you might have go way back to the early 60's for a win like this for native born White American. This win will propel Pavlik to superstardom if he keeps winning. You could only imagine how huge this win was if Pavlik was a heavyweight.......

Angelcynn

Guru
Cheers for the info myJohnnynofear. Maybe Pavlik can start better in the re-match and finnish off Taylor earlier than the 7th round. That would such an isnult to Taylor's ego. As for Calzaghe/Kessler vs Hopkins, that would be excellent! The only way is UP!

Hockaday

Guru
I just watched the replay. That second round helped make the fight a classic. Three or four punches into the combo that almost took him out, Pavlik stuck his chin out and made a funny face as if "go ahead hit me" and Taylor nailed him with a couple more that put him down. Pavlik is a different breed of cat for sure.

The Punchstat claimed that Taylor landed 65 percent of his power shots in the fight. That is total BS. I'd say Pavlik blocked at least that percentage with his gloves. Either they count hitting gloves as a connect, or Max and Teddy were working the Punchstat machines for the fight. Edited by: Hockaday

yanling

Guru
Seeing as how Jermain Taylor was a recent Ring Magazine #1 P4P fighter, will Kelly Pavlik also be on the top 10 P4P list now?

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
yanling said:
Seeing as how Jermain Taylor was a recent Ring Magazine #1 P4P fighter, will Kelly Pavlik also be on the top 10 P4P list now?

Probably not - and since a boxer loses at least five places in the rankings for being white, it's unlikely Pavlik will ever be higher than the bottom of the top ten at best (8 to 10) no matter who else he defeats.

Joe Calzaghe should have been in the top five for years, and Ricky Hatton should be up there as well - but their skin is the wrong colour.

Edited by: JD1986

Bart

Hall of Famer
Pavlik is one of those - heavy hands - fighters. His punches are more damaging than they appear at times. His fight ending KO puncheslook ferocious however. If he didn't leave himself so wide open and vulnerable, he wouldn't have been clocked in the second round. No need to leave his left so low and away. Later ina fight it's difficult to keep the hands up, but they should be in better position in the early rounds. He almost lost because of that recklessness. Great to see him get up and take charge after it appeared as though he was history. What conditioning and guts!

I must say that the fix was in for this fight hard core. Thank God Kelly won by way of knockout! Two of the judges had Kelly winning only 2 rounds and one judge had him winning only one round. This is flagrant Bullsh@t. I am not sure which fight they were watching but it is apparent that the only way Kelly was walking out of the ring with the belts was by putting Jermaine Taylor to sleep. And put him to sleep he did.
smiley32.gif
I know that the judges scorecards have been numerously mentioned in this thread but it is completely ridiculous for the scores to have been that lopsided. I myself had Taylor up by 1 point going into the 7th. But 3, 4, 5 points ahead. No No my friends. This was dirty from the outset with these judges. Taylor was destined to reign as THE CHAMP for many years to come. Only problem is, the judges can't save you from a Pavlik monster right hand. That right hand speaks for itself!

pt.guard2

Guru
I agree. Even the announcers, who have been roundly criticized on this site had the fight even or very close. In fact, Larry Merchant Jim Lampley and L. Lewis, actually seemed to be rooting for Pavlik.

In addition to getting the desired result, this was a very, very good fight.

What impressed me about Pavlik was his poise in the biggest fight of his life, unlike Taylor who seemed nervous and desparate at times.

When Pavlik was hurt he held on until his head cleared, when Taylor was hurt, he did not swing wildly, but methodically finished him off.

He will be very tough to beat.

lumsdenpower

Mentor
Pavlik is gonna need just knockout victory now
smiley36.gif

Seriously, Pavlik is GREAT for boxing, that not juste because he is white, but that a real fighter who is not afraid to fight the better, not afraid to take shot, a REAL warrior with a LOT of heart and determination..Cotto must be the same idole for latino fan.
Same thing for Hatton for british fan..
We don't need boxer like Floyd Mayweather, i'm even a fan of Paul Williams because they offer us GOOD SHOW..
I enjoy so much the boxe right now with all the white talent, okay they are a lot underrated, but I dont care, why? That not like football for being a RB, now, they chose what happen, I'm so proud of our man, taking back Boxing, Hatton, Pavlik, Bute, Diaconu, Froch, Kessler, Calzaghe, Paulie Malignani(spelling?),Adamek, all the heavyweight, and im missing certainly a lot of white prospect!
WAY TO GO

Hockaday

Guru
Pavlik is not supposed to be where he is now. They thought they were getting rid of him when they threw him in with Miranda. When Kelly demolished Miranda instead, it was now what do we do? Well, put him in with their "superstar" (HBO's description) friendly judges, and a slow stop referee Smoger, God bless him, just in case Kelly gets lucky and rings Jermaines bell, and hope for the best.

The referee tactic backfired. When Kelly took more punches after the knockdown and almost went down a second time, I know too may refs who would have jumped in to be the hero and "save" Pavlik. But Smoger, God bless him again, showed better judgement, and Kelly was able to come back and do what he's been doing all along, knocking out guys who don't get knocked out.

whiteCB

Master
jaxvid said:
Maple Leaf said:
Jaxvid:

Look at all of those white fans cheering. That's the way it's supposed to be! If Pavlik had been at an NFL field he'd have been booed!

Yeah that's great! I hear the crowd was very pro-Pavlik, good to hear too. I keep hoping sooner or later that people will wake up.

BTW I have an extra Pavlik avatar if anyone wants it. Just let me know and I'll put it up for you.

p7.jpg

I WANT ONE!!!

whiteCB

Master
Kelly Pavlik is the man up in Northeast OH!!! Way to represent Youngtown, Kelly and the state of Ohio!!! Man I loved those Ohio St Buckeye themed boxer shorts almost as much as loved seeing Taylor get the crap knocked out of his trash talkin, whiteboy hatin, prima donna ass!!!!

JD074

Master
lumsdenpower said:
Pavlik is gonna need just knockout victory now
smiley36.gif

Seriously, Pavlik is GREAT for boxing, that not juste because he is white, but that a real fighter who is not afraid to fight the better, not afraid to take shot, a REAL warrior with a LOT of heart and determination..Cotto must be the same idole for latino fan.
Same thing for Hatton for british fan..
We don't need boxer like Floyd Mayweather, i'm even a fan of Paul Williams because they offer us GOOD SHOW..

You are absolutely correct. Beyond racial concerns, fighters like Pavlik and Cotto are good for the sport. I'll also throw in Povetkin and Katsidis as good examples of "action" fighters. Hopefully we're seeing a changing of the guard, away from back-pedaling fighters who refuse to take risks, like Mayweather, Hopkins, and Briggs.

I think Smogers style over all helped Pavlik. He most definately did not let Taylor hug up and waltz. He split up the clinches which forced Taylor to absorb the accumulated damage that eventually caused his demise.

Amren.com

Mentor
Did Kelly make a huge mistake in the 2nd by dropping his hands which led to that beating? I've read in a couple places that he did. It probably would be a good thing if true as he probably will never make that mistake again. Does anyone know for sure?

white is right

Hall of Famer
Amren.com said:
Did Kelly make a huge mistake in the 2nd by dropping his hands which led to that beating? I've read in a couple places that he did. It probably would be a good thing if true as he probably will never make that mistake again. Does anyone know for sure?
Yes he got slightly rocked and then tried to show bravado and basically asked Taylor to nail him with his best shot. That showed a lack big fight experience. Pavlik is 25 but has only fought two top opponents. If Arum and his team are smart they will show him a wide variety of styles before he has the eventual superfight with the Calzaghe-Kessler winner. Edited by: white is right

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
Video replay shows Pavlik was hurt in the second round by an elbow, not a punch. Taylor fought dirty:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=lejNo6PmJ_I

The punches by Pavlik that put Taylor down were clean ones. A world class boxer doesn't need to resort to elbows, low blows and rabbit punches.

Hockaday

Guru
JD1986 said:
Video replay shows Pavlik was hurt in the second round by an elbow, not a punch. Taylor fought dirty:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=lejNo6PmJ_I

The punches by Pavlik that put Taylor down were clean ones. A world class boxer doesn't need to resort to elbows, low blows and rabbit punches.

I disagree that Pavlik was hurt by the elbow. Taylor was using his elbow to better position an already hurt Pavlik for his punches. A borderline tactic at best, but no worse than Pavlik using the open glove of his left hand to hold Taylor's head in place as he hammered him with his right.

Let's just call them both savvy veterans.

Edited by: Hockaday

white is right

Hall of Famer
I think Pavlik watched Larry Holmes or Lennox Lewis videos. Lennox could have been dq'd for it against Grant's Tomb in MSG.....
smiley36.gif