Kansas City Chiefs General Thread

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I'm really rooting for Justin Watson to make the Chiefs. He's big and fast and smart. He's had some injuries but was pretty much ignored by Bruce (anti)Arians in Tampa. With his talent and with an injury or two he could end up playing a significant role this year in the KC offense.

Chiefs wide receiver Justin Watson shines in preseason debut

No player may have improved their stock in today’s presason game against the Chicago Bears more than Kansas City Chiefs wide receiver Justin Watson. With four of the Chiefs receiver spots locked up, Watson may have earned himself a roster spot with today’s performance. He finished the game with five receptions for 45 yards and nice, 22-yard touchdown grab from quarterback Shane Buechele.

This should not come as a surprise considering Watson has been performing well in training camp.

“You see it all training camp and I saw it all OTAs. He can fly, but he’s a bigger guy that can make all those tough catches,” Patrick Mahomes said.

The Chiefs have their deepest receiving core since Patrick Mahomes became arrived, something we got a glimpse of on the Chiefs first offensive drive as he hit six different targets. “That’s what this year will be for me, supporting those guys—MVS(Marques Valdes-Scantling), JuJu [Smith-Schuster], Mecole [Hardman]—anytime my number is called on,” Watson said.

If Watson can provide help, it makes the Chiefs even more difficult to game plan for and gives Mahomes another weapon at his disposal.

https://fox4kc.com/news/chiefs-wide-receiver-justin-watson-shines-in-preseason-debut/

Bucky

Hall of Famer
I'm with you on Watson. We've seen these fluff pieces too many times though in preseason. I hope he survives the odds against him.

Did you read one of the comments below that article?

"It doesn't hurt to be a bit fearless and crazy at LB. Chenal, has the skills to be a real good backup and situation LB, IMO. He needs more reps. He gets some of that during the off-season."

Bucky

Hall of Famer
Did you read one of the comments below that article?

"It doesn't hurt to be a bit fearless and crazy at LB. Chenal, has the skills to be a real good backup and situation LB, IMO. He needs more reps. He gets some of that during the off-season."
A good backup haha. This DWF wants Chenal to sit through his racial apprenticeship despite being a fuggin beast. Typical pea brained comment..

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
The Rodent is one of the worst head coaches ever, yet supposedly now may succeed Fat Bastard when he retires. I hope it happens, nothing could sink the Chiefs' mini-dynasty faster.

Sports Illustrated's Albert Breer reports the Chiefs plan to hire QB coach Matt Nagy as offensive coordinator.​

The Chiefs plan to promote Nagy, who has a 'real shot to be Andy Reid's successor.' Nagy was the Chiefs' offensive coordinator from 2016-2017 before a failed stint as Chicago's head coach. Staying in house to replace OC Eric Bieniemy is expected for the Chiefs with Reid still calling the plays in Kansas City. Nagy would be the obvious choice if they go that route.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Guess which receiver Fat Bastard didn't mention? Hint: the one who's 6'4" with 4.4 speed and great hands and who looked great this past season while being underused.

Chiefs coach Andy Reid said both Kadarius Toney and Skyy Moore "will probably have bigger roles" next season.​

With both JuJu Smith-Schuster and Mecole Hardman hitting free agency, most of the beat reporter buzz has been that the Chiefs will likely have to choose between the two of them. Toney and Moore figure to have expanded roles. It would probably make the most sense to let Hardman walk since the Chiefs sort of shoehorned Toney into his role to begin with. It's also possible that the Chiefs do more with both of these players in the screen game with Clyde Edwards-Helaire reportedly a candidate to be traded and Jerick McKinnon also hitting free agency.

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
Here we go Drue Tranquil signing for the Chiefs. Good signing!
The Chiefs will now have 3 critical White defenders next year. That’s an incredible amount for an Andy Reid team.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
The Chiefs will now have 3 critical White defenders next year. That’s an incredible amount for an Andy Reid team.
Tranquill was one of the best LBs in the NFL last year. The Chargers should not have let him go, crazy that he only got a 1 year deal.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I'm a little concerned about it as it may negatively effect Leo Chenal in his second season. The Chiefs only list two starting LBs on their depth chart and five DBs and Nick Bolton is admittedly good. I would have preferred to see Tranquill sign elsewhere but we'll have to see how it works out.

jphoss

Mentor
Love Tranquil but wish he signed somewhere else. Chargers screwed up and another perfect example of caste system in effect if his best offer was only a 1 year deal when scrub blacks get multi year guaranteed contracts

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Love Tranquil but wish he signed somewhere else. Chargers screwed up and another perfect example of caste system in effect if his best offer was only a 1 year deal when scrub blacks get multi year guaranteed contracts

He should have received a multi-year deal with assurances he was going to be a starter. The Chargers letting him walk for 5 million dollars is stupid. To a division rival no less.

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
Perhaps Dru had better offers, but wanted to play on the Chiefs for a shot at the championship? In that case, he might have had to discount himself. We just don’t know what went on behind the scenes.

Assuming he’s healthy, I’d expect him to have a fantastic year on a team that should get tons of exposure. I can see him landing a larger, multi year deal next off-season in that case.

jphoss

Mentor
Perhaps Dru had better offers, but wanted to play on the Chiefs for a shot at the championship? In that case, he might have had to discount himself. We just don’t know what went on behind the scenes.

Assuming he’s healthy, I’d expect him to have a fantastic year on a team that should get tons of exposure. I can see him landing a larger, multi year deal next off-season in that case.
That could be the case. I’m sure he hasn’t been frivolous with his money just wish he signed with the bengals or bills and help them get a ring

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Chiefs re-sign Justin Watson to a two-year deal. Weenieworld disapproves:

Chiefs signed WR Justin Watson to a two-year contract.​

Watson, who mostly ran wind sprints as a mainstay in two-wideout sets for KC in 2022, had 15 regular season catches on 333 routes. His total lack of production did not matter to Andy Reid and Chiefs coaches, who will bring back Watson for at least the next two years. It's quite something. Watson, 27, has no fantasy relevance.

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
Chiefs re-sign Justin Watson to a two-year deal. Weenieworld disapproves:

Chiefs signed WR Justin Watson to a two-year contract.​

Watson, who mostly ran wind sprints as a mainstay in two-wideout sets for KC in 2022, had 15 regular season catches on 333 routes. His total lack of production did not matter to Andy Reid and Chiefs coaches, who will bring back Watson for at least the next two years. It's quite something. Watson, 27, has no fantasy relevance.
What a dishonest way of framing things. Clearly, he was being used on a lot of snaps where it was either a designed run or he wasn’t a target. He only had 34 targets but he produced an incredible 21 yards per catch. The proper perspective would be his production per catch would warrant more targets, hence giving him incredible fantasy potential if utilized properly.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Here's a much more complimentary article about the Watson signing. If they would utilize his deep speed more he could put up big numbers. Or maybe the always present injury bug, esp. when it comes to over-hyped and over-rated receivers like Toney, will help: