Junior Seau Committs Suicide

Irn Bru

RIP to my all time favorite non-white player. He played as hard in his 20th season as he did his first.

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
RIP Junior Seau - My prayers go out to his family. I liked him too, he seemed like a good guy.

Westside

Hall of Famer
Junior was a decent fellow. All or most of his close friends were white. His business associates goes without saying. His resturant in S.D. Is good. Be there many times. Great polyinsian food. He was a great player. It's weird with guys who have so much success kill themselves. RIP Junior

backrow

Hall of Famer
i had a chance to meet him and he really seemed to be a laid back, down to earth guy. too bad he messed his head up to that degree... RIP number 55.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
He has been plagued by depression and anger problems. Similar to boxers that go insane I wouldn't be surprised that concussions brought this upon on him. RIP....:rip:....taps for Junior...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_GYC3BxoJE

I wonder why you never hear about old time football players who played with little head protection and probably banged their noggin on every play getting depression and anger problems. Heck guys like Pat Summerall, Frank Gifford, are still alive and had long careers in the public eye, Bronco Nagurski lived to 82, Red Grange lived until 88, I don't remember hearing about too many of them killing themselves or anyone else.

Great LB and hate to see his life end this way.Prayers to the family.

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
I wonder why you never hear about old time football players who played with little head protection and probably banged their noggin on every play getting depression and anger problems. Heck guys like Pat Summerall, Frank Gifford, are still alive and had long careers in the public eye, Bronco Nagurski lived to 82, Red Grange lived until 88, I don't remember hearing about too many of them killing themselves or anyone else.

jaxvid, I wondered the same thing, but then I remembered, those guys, (old time football players) knew how to tackle properly without using their heads as a weapon.

white is right

Hall of Famer
jaxvid, I wondered the same thing, but then I remembered, those guys, (old time football players) knew how to tackle properly without using their heads as a weapon.
They also never led with their heads as leather helmets didn't provide much protection. Eventually pro football is going to have to ban upper body tackles and make the sport more like rugby. The players are too big and strong for the murderous hits they can deliver.

Matra2

Master
Yes, I've always thought less protective equipment would make the sport safer as players would realize their limitations. Although some of them are such meatheads you never know.

The Hock

Master
Hard to replace the rush of being an NFL superstar, especially if you're depression prone. By all accounts Seau was a great one. Which might have made the end of his career even harder to cope with.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I remember Rodney Culver being on that ValuJet that went down in the Florida Everglades in 1996. I think few remains of it were ever found.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer

Jaxvid, in all fairness...Grange & Nagurski were legendary and very few other NFL player can compare. I'd say the old time players were cut from a different mold...as most men were back then.

RIP to Seau and peace to his family. Suicide is never the way out. One of my wife's old friends made that same choice last week. It's very disheartening indeed. :sad:

white is right

Hall of Famer
I'm in favor of returning to leather helmets, or at least suspension plastic helmets. I'm convinced it would help improve not only the health of the players, but the game as well.

I saw this article this morning and thought it was interesting. It seems that Seau is the 8th member of the 1994 Charger team to die.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/f...uad-article-1.1071838?localLinksEnabled=false
Yes the helmets that rugby linemen currently wear should be good enough if you ban upper body tackling. I also think if the game went back to it's roots it would force scouts to recruit more White prospects as the superior endurance factor of Whites would come to the fore.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Yes the helmets that rugby linemen currently wear should be good enough if you ban upper body tackling. I also think if the game went back to it's roots it would force scouts to recruit more White prospects as the superior endurance factor of Whites would come to the fore.

Hence what I said about imporving the game. Yes, I agree that it would help Whites on some level, as it would basically force players into playing more fundamentally sound football.

Tom Iron

Mentor
I heard Rush Limbaugh on the radio shooting his mouth off about this idea of concussions and injury and suicide, etc. He said, once a college or h.s. football player commits suicide, that'll be the end of football. I actually agreed with him. So many people aren't up to playing such a sport anymore and the society won't accept any type of danger, no matter what they say. Everything today is centered on a concept of "safety."
Once the lawyers get into a thing big time, that's the death knell of whatever it is. So enjoy the sport as long as it lasts. I give it 15-20 year at the outside. Could be more like ten.

Tom Iron...

El Whitey

I agree with Colonel Reb. If we want people to stop using their helmet as a weapon out there, like thug James Harrison, then they need to ditch the helmet. Maybe not for leather but something else.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I watched a bit of Sports Center for several minutes last night for the first time in a long time, and they had a segment focusing on Seau's death and the Saints "bounty scandal," the thrust of which was that both events together had irrevocably changed football. I didn't watch it carefully but the word "reparations" was being tossed around near the end, which most definitely did get my attention.

Reparations is a CM buzzword and concept usually used when talking about blacks and their perpetual victimhood and self-pity; when it starts being used when discussing concussions, it looks like a tipoff of a strategy by parasitic lawyers to file a class action suit on behalf of all current and former players to try and take a huge bite out of the financially lucrative NFL, similar to the way the tobacco companies were gouged some years back.

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
I hope this hurts the NFL and they start losing viewers. It is a racist league that has probably done more than anything to push the laughable myth of black supremacy in athletics.

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
I should clarify that I am not talking about the suicide of Seau, who I like and respect. I am talking about the lawsuits and controversies over concussions and the like.