Julian Edelman

green fire317

Banned
according to repors Edelman was at practice on Friday and he could be a gametime decision.

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- In an encouraging sign for the New England Patriots on the injury front, left tackle Matt Light, center Dan Koppen, running back Sammy Morris, receiver Julian Edelman, safety Brandon Meriweather and linebacker Eric Alexander were present at Friday's practice inside the Dana-Farber Field House.

Patriots coach Bill Belichick said it was a boost to see a handful of injured players returning to practice, noting that some of them will be game-time decisions for Sunday's clash against the Indianapolis Colts.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
He obviously has all the toughness any team could want.

backrow said:
indianwhite said:
Don Wassall said:
He obviously has all the toughness any team could want.
Not in the eyes of an NFL coach.

he's playing isn't he?
Yup! So far, so good!
smiley2.gif

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
I was bummed about Welker but totally forgot that Edelman will take his place.

Pats and Packers are clearly the most white-friendly teams in the playoffs. May they meet in he Super Bowl.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
If Edelman steps up now and plays well in the playoffs he will get a lot more respect. I expect nothing but dominant performances from him.

Thrashen

Hall of Famer
WR Julian Edelman left the game with an injury, as usual, against the Ravens on Sunday. White athletes aren't permitted to be so fragile.

When Edelman has actually received playing time this season, he's made unintelligent decisions (punt return against Ravens), false starts (against Miami), and has been completely shut out whenever he is included in the passing game.

It appears as though Bigunreal was correct about the trade for Branch. Edelman is strictly utilized to spell Wes Welker in the slot, whereas Branch (despite being the same size, speed, and style as Edelman) is playing outside opposite of Brandon Tate.

It's difficult to criticize the Patriots, though. Three white players (Mike Wright, Rob Ninkovich, and Dane Fletcher) received playing time on defense against the Ravens.

Thrashen

Hall of Famer
Edelman's 94-yard punt return against the Dolphins broke a Patriots record that stood for 34 seasons. His 40-yard reception was the longest reception of his career.

He hasn't played much this season. When he has gotten involved (about 5-6 snaps per game offensively, about 8-9 including special teams), he's had multiple drops, a false start, a muffed punt, etc. Against Chicago, he had a 71-yard punt return TD called back for holding and a 40+ yard return in the same game. He had some brilliant punt returns against the Lions on Thanksgiving. Yesterday's performance may have salvaged his season. Hopefully, there will be more fireworks to come from this exciting young player.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
With his excellent performance the racist Shannon Sharpe has a lot of nerve making the ridiculous comment he made yesterday. Sharpe can barely speak, let alone be a sports commentator. I think it's even worse than Phil Nantz saying the Patriots "look like an Ivy League team."

texasheat

In fairness to Jim Nantz, who's actually a good commentator IMO, the idiot that mentioned that the Pats are "like an Ivy League team" was Boomer Esiason. That's who to direct the ire to. :)

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I just noticed whiteathlete33's use of Phil Nantz. I think such funny name combos would be a good thing to do for some of the caste clown announcers and commentators. How about Shannon Strahan, Al Esiason, Boomer Berman, Michael Sharpe, Bill Dierdorf, Cris Cowher and Dan Collinsworth? Just a thought.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
texasheat said:
In fairness to Jim Nantz, who's actually a good commentator IMO, the idiot that mentioned that the Pats are "like an Ivy League team" was Boomer Esiason. That's who to direct the ire to. :)

Nantz is the best U.S. announcer and there's only a few others close. All the Caste clowns out there could learn a lot about how to call an event fairly and objectively by listening to Jim Nantz.

Quiet Speed

Mentor
Colonel_Reb said:
I just noticed whiteathlete33's use of Phil Nantz. I think such funny name combos would be a good thing to do for some of the caste clown announcers and commentators. How about Shannon Strahan, Al Esiason, Boomer Berman, Michael Sharpe, Bill Dierdorf, Cris Cowher and Dan Collinsworth? Just a thought.

Colonel Reb, I don't know why, but your use of gibelike monikers brought back memories of The Corporate Sports Report with a host of doofus media personalities. Great satire. Here's one.

SchaafC

Guru
Well Julian got arrested. He will be cleared of charges.
He was with some woman on the dance floor; and the guy said woman was with noticed "shock" on her face.
They were all three thrown out by the bouncers and later questioned outside of the night club.
My guess is that the woman was there with the guy; made up story to cover. Lets see if he can survive this.

backrow

Hall of Famer
[SIZE=+2]Patriots Journal: Edelman excelling on both sides of the ball
[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]
01:00 AM Eastern Standard Time on Monday, November 28, 2011
[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]By tim britton and MIKE McDERMOTT

journal sports writers
[/SIZE]
PHILADELPHIA — Three weeks into this defensive experiment, Julian Edelman is growing increasingly comfortable as a cornerback.

Edelman once again saw the field in all three phases, playing as a slot cornerback in nickel and dime packages as well as increased time as a third receiver and his usual duties as a punt returner.
“Every play, you get a little more experience. I wouldn’t say I’m totally comfortable out there, but I’m starting to learn a little more,” said Edelman, who tallied a pair of tackles and a hit on quarterback Vince Young. “I enjoy being on the field, whether it’s defense, offense, special teams.”
On Sunday, Edelman’s defensive duties were mainly to take care of the middle of the field, against Eagles’ tight ends Brent Celek and Clay Harbor. He also made an impressive open-field tackle on Young inside the New England 10-yard-line on a drive that eventually ended on a fourth-down stop.
Edelman even blitzed Young on a third-and-10 in the third quarter, helping cause an incomplete pass.
A former college quarterback, Edelman relished the chance to pressure a passer.
“With the new rules, I didn’t want to get a penalty,” Edelman said. “I just tried to hit him in the right zone.”
Even though he didn’t catch a pass, Edelman’s contributions on offense weren’t negligible. With Chad Ochocinco inactive with a hamstring injury, Edelman spent a lot of time on the field as a third wide receiver, especially when New England stretched Philadelphia out on two drives around halftime.
“I call him ‘Slash’ because he’s a versatile player. He can do so much. Having him there, as a receiver he knows routes and can also cover,” safety James Ihedigbo said. “I’m glad to have him.”
A solid secondary
The Patriots defense has, for the most part, deservedly earned a bend-but-don’t-break reputation to this point in the season. But while the stats suggest that was the case on Sunday at Lincoln Financial Field, the stats don’t accurately reflect the tenor of New England’s 38-20 win.
Despite facing a team without its starting quarterback and one of its top receivers, the Pats allowed a season-high 393 yards through the air. Young racked up his first career 400-yard day against the Pats, becoming the second signal-caller to do so this season. Miami’s Chad Henne threw for 416 yards in Week One against New England.
(Henne lost more yardage on sacks than Young, thus why the Eagles had more passing yards on Sunday than the Dolphins did in the season-opener.)
Still, it’s hard to criticize New England’s secondary on a day it allowed only 20 points — the last seven of which came in the meaningless final minute.
Young reached 400 yards by attempting 48 passes — five more than he’d ever attempted before in his career. Even with the yardage, he still had a QB rating of just 80.2, with a late touchdown and an early interception. After a rocky start to the game, the Pats’ secondary limited Philadelphia’s starting duo of DeSean Jackson and Riley Cooper. The two combined for seven receptions, with third wideout Jason Avant doing most of the late-game damage with eight catches.
“We are always working to just get better every day,” cornerback Kyle Arrington said. “We like the way we are playing and allowing teams not to score a lot in the past few games.”

http://www.providencejournal.com/sports/patriots/content/20111128-patriots-edelman-notebo_11-28-11_80R_v2.26763de.html

Van_Slyke_CF

Mentor
From his Wiki page as a reminder:

"Julian Edelman was not invited to the 2009 NFL Combine; at his pro day, he recorded a 20-yard short shuttle time of 3.92 seconds, which was the fastest time of any player at the Combine."

He could be a good starting CB, if given the chance full-time next year.

wile

Master
Take the mysterious thing called "hip swivel" out of the equation for choosing CBs I must think that plenty of whites could fit the bill in at least the dime package zone scheme.

I finally got to see the Patriots play this year against the Bills.
Edelman is a very good athlete. This guy never played corner in college or high school and now he is their starting nickel back.
This is total proof that the caste system exists. Our guys like Weddle, Prosinski, Conte, Cole Brodie, Ittersagen and Gregory could easliy play the corner position at the NFL level. How does a guy whose never played cornerback in his life just jump in and play very well? Will this open some doors for other white athletes? I don't know but at least you don't have to have Jason Sehorn type athleticism if you are white to play the position. Maybe Derek Dreher, Brandon Hardin and even Nick Stoner, Daylen Hall and Seth Cunningham will get a chance in the upcoming years.

wile

Master
I'm no football guru, but when I finally reached my athletic peak at about 28 I seriously think I could have played at least the zone coverage aspects of defensive back at a high level. The problem is I think with us whites is that so many of us mature much later. Who is looking for a 17 year old HS senior who weighs in at 139lbs versus someone weighing in at 185 at 6.0' with 4% body fat (28 years old). Reminds me of watching a minor league baseball team depart their bus, it was like watching 24 young white men who were cloned to be athletes, but the caveat being they were all on the other side of 20 years old. Then some like Edelman are fast maturing.

dwid

Hall of Famer
I'm no football guru, but when I finally reached my athletic peak at about 28 I seriously think I could have played at least the zone coverage aspects of defensive back at a high level. The problem is I think with us whites is that so many of us mature much later. Who is looking for a 17 year old HS senior who weighs in at 139lbs versus someone weighing in at 185 at 6.0' with 4% body fat (28 years old). Reminds me of watching a minor league baseball team depart their bus, it was like watching 24 young white men who were cloned to be athletes, but the caveat being they were all on the other side of 20 years old. Then some like Edelman are fast maturing.
this is true, when Kevin Curtis came out of high school he wasn't even the fastest receiver on his team (wasn't a big high school from what I remember either.) It wasn't until he went to Snow College that he started to develop, but apparently not enough for BYU to take him so he went to Utah State. I think 28 is a little on the late side, a lot of our guys are peak in their early to mid 20's. Its just funny when we have White superstars in college the "experts" usually say they have peaked and that is the best they are ever going to be, no upside, when in reality they are just starting to bloom. Gerhart for instance, looks much quicker now than he ever did at Stanford.