John Standeford-WR

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
John had a really nice game today, with a teamhigh 4 catches for 85 yards! I hope he is played this year and finally gets to show what a talent he always has been.

e6861e01c90d4fa88c3f9a4f0dfa3396-getty-82025967gs019_detroit_lions.jpg
Edited by: Colonel_Reb

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
I watched it, he did play well. He faked out the corner and busted a long one, if the pass was thrown correctly he would have taken it to the house. I hope he sticks. Lions are deep at receiver and as mentioned before already over their league allotment of white receivers with one-Mike Furrey.

bigunreal

Mentor
-- Lions No. 5 WR Competition --Sun Aug 24, 2008 --from FFMastermind.com

The Oakland Press reports Detroit Lions WR Devale Ellis and WR Brandon Middleton are competing for the team's No. 5 wide receiver spot.

And that would leave John Standeford, who has outplayed both of these nobodies by a wide margin this preseason, where? As the number SEVEN WR on the Lions?

This is where we stand now; whether it's Mike Hass with New Orleans, or John Standeford with the Lions, it's irrelevant how well a white WR plays. The only thing that matters is his skin pigmentation disorder. Both of these teams opted for completely unaccomplished black unknowns over someone who produced at the highest level in college football. Edited by: bigunreal

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Shaun McDonald had knee surgery and was placed on the Lions PUP list. After Calvin Johnson, Roy Williams and Mike Furrey they have nobodies so maybe Standeford will make the team.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Shaun McDonald is inactive for today's game. With Furrey already on IR, will Standeford see more than token action?

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
< =text/><!--
var FN_IR_el;
function FN_IR_reload

var el = FN_IR_el;
ifel && el.hasNGData

el.alt = el.NGAlt;
el.title = el.NGTitle;
elel.NGAttrib = el.NGSrc + 'nguncompressed';
el.hasNGData = false;
el.NGDone = true;

function FN_IR_mouseoute

if!e
e = window.event;
var el;
el = e.target e.srcElement;
ifel && el.hasNGData

clearTimeoutel.NGTimeout;

function FN_IR_mouseine

if!e
e = window.event;
var el;

if el.NGDone == true && el.NGSrc && el.src.search'nguncompressed' == -1 && el.src.searchel.NGSrc == -1

el.NGDone = false;
el.hasNGData = false;

if!el.NGDone && !el.hasNGData

ifel.tagName=="IMG"

var uri = el.src;
var imgName = uri;
ifuri.search/^mhtml:http:\/\//i == 0

var mp = imgName.search"!";
ifmp != -1

imgName = imgName.substringmp+1;
ifel.onmouseover
el.src = imgName;

else ifuri.search/^httpfile:\/\//i == -1

el.NGDone = true;
return;

var endUrl = imgName.search/\\!\&/;
ifendUrl == -1
endUrl = imgName.length;
var extension = imgName.substringendUrl - 4;
ifextension.search/^\.bmppng/i == 0

el.NGDone = true;
return;

el.hasNGData = true;
el.NGSrc = imgName;
el.NGAttrib = "src";
el.NGAlt = el.altel.alt:"";
el.NGTitle = el.titleel.title:"";
el.alt = 'please wait 1 seconds for an uncompressed image, or press Ctrl+F5 for original quality page';
el.title = 'please wait 1 seconds for an uncompressed image, or press Ctrl+F5 for original quality page';

else

el.NGDone = true;

ifel && el.hasNGData

FN_IR_el = el;el.NGTimeout = setTimeout"FN_IR_reload", 1000*1;

function FN_IR_errore

if!e
e = window.event;
var el;
ifel && el.checkMht

el.checkMht = false;
var uri = el.src;
ifuri.search/^mhtml:http:\/\//i == 0

var mp = uri.search"!";
ifmp != -1

el.src = uri.substringmp+1;

function FN_IR_register_imagebod

bod.checkMht = true;
ifbod.attachEvent

bod.attachEvent"onmouseover", FN_IR_mousein;
bod.attachEvent"onmouseout", FN_IR_mouseout;
bod.attachEvent"onerror", FN_IR_error;

else ifbod.addEventListener

bod.addEventListener"mouseover", FN_IR_mousein, false;
bod.addEventListener"mouseout", FN_IR_mouseout, false;
bod.addEventListener"error", FN_IR_error, false;

else

var tmp1 = bod.onmouseover;
iftmp1

bod.onmouseover = function

tmp1;
FN_IR_mousein;
;

else

bod.onmouseover = FN_IR_mousein;

var tmp2 = bod.onmouseout;
iftmp2

bod.onmouseout = function

tmp2;
FN_IR_mouseout;
;

else

bod.onmouseout = FN_IR_mouseout;

function FN_IR_register

var i;
for i = 0 ; i < documentges.length ; i++

FN_IR_register_imagedocumentges<em border="0">)
};
}

FN_IR_register();

-->
The good news is Standeford starts today with McDonald out. The bad news is he plays for the Lions.

backrow

Hall of Famer
Don Wassall said:
The good news is Standeford starts today with McDonald out.  The bad news is he plays for the Lions.

let's hope that Dan Orlovsky will fare better and see him more than Fatpepper.

Poacher

Mentor
4 cathches for 36 yards after three quarters.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
The Lions have traded for the immortal Dennis Northcutt -- accused woman beater and hands of stone wide receiver, who has averaged about 500 yards receiving during his 9 year career with a best of 806 in 2004 after being a 2nd round draft pick in 2000.

This likely ends the career of John Standeford in Detroit and the NFL. The Lions have a topnotch receiver in Calvin Johnson, but after that Standeford deserves to be in the mix. He excelled when he finally got some limited use in the NFL late last season, as we knew he would. But better to bring inmediocre wideoutslike Bryant Johnson (a former 1st round pick who underachieves year after year) and Northcutt and the perpetually injured Ronald Curry and push Standeford out the door. That's how it works in the NFL.

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
This sucks. Of course, Standeford should easily be playing ahead of the likes of Shaun McDonald, Dennis Northcutt, and Ronald Curry.
smiley11.gif

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Curry has already been traded away (and McDonald earlier signed with the Steelers), so maybe there's still a glimmer of hope for John. I just found this nugget, which shouldn't hurt:

Wednesday Notes: Rosenhaus Signs Standeford, Talks Him Up onTwitter

<LI>Drew Rosenhaus' newest client is Lions receiver John Standeford. Rosenhaus announced the news on his Twitter page, saying that he thinks Standeford "has a good chance to be a starter this season for the Lions." I know it's Rosenhaus' job to say good things about his clients, but I highly doubt Standeford will be a starter. His first goal should be to make the team, as that isn't even a certainty right now. </LI>

http://www.prideofdetroit.com/2009/7/22/958143/wednesday-notes-rosenhaus-signs

backrow

Hall of Famer
Rosenhaus is a household name (as much as i don't like him), if John doesn't play for Lions he will eventually find him a team that will appreciate him.

whiteCB

Master
Rosenhaus would have never offered his services to John if he didn't think the guy had legit talent. Drew must see significant playing time coming up this season for Standeford.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Standeford continues to miss most of training camp because of a nagging hamstring injury. This will likely doom whatever chance he has of sticking as the fifth or sixth receiver, though he is the best receiver on the team after Calvin Johnson. I don't see the Lions using Dane Looker, if he sticks,for anything more than special teams and holding for extra points.

bigunreal

Mentor
I know I've mentioned this before, but white players simply cannot afford to let things like hamstrings, turf toes, etc., allow the Caste System to cast them aside. Standeford probably had a real chance to start for the Lions- as Don noted, he is unquestionably the best option outside of Johnson on the roster.

I'm not arguing that white players are more or less injury prone; the reality is that most of them cannot afford to be injured at all. How many times have they lost their jobs while rehabbing injuries, while oft injured black "stars" like Brittle Bob Sanders would never be benched under any circumstances (as Matt Giordano should certainly know).

I hope Standeford pushes himself to play. This may be his last chance (actually probably the only halfway real chance he's ever had) to play in the NFL.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Standeford was screwed by the Colts and remained on the practice squad. His action there was only in preseason. I am very surprised the Lions of all teams allowed him to start 4 games last season.

referendum

Mentor
Rotoworld reporting John is resigned today by Lions. They also signed Kole Heckendorf to PS, though dropping Logan Payne from PS. Congrats to John for getting back in the game.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Good to hear John is back in the league. Whether he gets PT or not is another story. Remember, this guy's pace- in 4 games started- on a pathetic team with bad QB play last year, actually projected to over 900 yards receiving on the year. I think Don posted about this. And what did this get JS? It got him cut.
smiley5.gif

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Standeford would still be on the team if he was a good special teams player. He shouldn't have to be one since he has the best hands of any receiver in the organization, but we all know why he would have to have special team skills to be on the team. I think he'll kick aroung the fringes of the Lions for a while. He's too good a receiver for them to completely dump and he probably knows all of the plays since he's been there so long.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
He's likely been waived more times than he has career catches:

Lions released WR John Standeford. This is a good sign that Calvin Johnson (knee) will play against the Seahawks Sunday. Standeford was a special teams contributor and deep receiving reserve.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Here's an article about Standeford with a Super Bowl theme, as he caught passes from both Drew Brees and Peyton Manning. All the passesStandeford caught from Manning were during practice however; as the article notes he spent 4 1/2 seasons with the Colts, but didn't have a single catch during a regular season game. 4 1/2 seasons with a team without a single catch. That's hard to believe, even for the Caste NFL. Way to treat the Big Ten's all-time leading receiver.

<H1>Standeford on receiving end of Brees, Manning</H1>

http://www.jconline.com/article/20100206/SPORTS040101/2060321/Standeford-on-receiving-end-of-Brees-Manning

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Even in the caste NFL, I was a bit surprised that such a bad team would cut a guy who started for them in '08 and actually played pretty well FOR A STARTER (on pace for about 950 yards if he played 16 games). Standeford showed some "upside" on such a lousy team, but I guess he just didn't "fit in".
smiley21.gif