Jim Leonhard

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
The FS for Baltimore is doing good thing these days! Hopefully that will translate into starts at some point.

Article on Jim Leonhard:

http://pit.scout.com/a.z?s=68&p=2&c=782627&ssf=1 &RequestedURL=http%3a%2f%2fpit.scout.com%2fa.z%3fs%3d68% 26p%3d2%26c%3d782627

I don't have access to the full article as it is subscribers only.

<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=0 width="98%" align=center><T>
<T>
<TR>
<TD colSpan=3>
<H2>Ravens' Leonhard stepping into Reed's shoes
premium.gif
</H2></TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD vAlign=top bgColor=#ffffff>
580134.jpg
</A>

<DIV ="rside">
<DIV ="rside"></TD>
<TD noWrap width=3></TD>
<TD vAlign=top>
<DIV ="stories">By Aaron Wilson
Publisher
Date: Aug 24, 2008
<DIV ="stories">
ST. LOUIS -- Jim Leonhard is rapidly growing accustomed to walking in the footsteps of Baltimore Ravens star free safety Ed Reed. For the third consecutive game, Leonhard replaced the former NFL Defensive Player of the Year in the starting lineup as the Ravens took on the St. Louis Rams at the Edward Jones Dome. Leonhard recorded a team-high seven tackles during the first half. </TD></TR></T></TABLE>

bigunreal

Mentor
From Rotoworld:

Ravens FS Ed Reed revealed Friday that he has nerve damage in his shoulder. He still has not practiced in contact drills.

Jim Leonhard will be Baltimore's starting free safety indefinitely. Reed indicated that he won't risk playing in the first few weeks if he isn't 100%. He also said surgery on the shoulder could threaten his career. Opponents should pick apart the Ravens' secondary early this season.

Finally, some good news. However, note the snide swipe at Leonard in this fantasy blurb. If only the Ravens would get some white offensive players....Edited by: bigunreal

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Reed has been over-rated for years now anyway. He's still living off his 2004 season, which admittedly was tremendous. Fantasy football players still draft Reed highly even though it's been three straight seasons of very few tackles and picks. It's good to see Leonhard get a chance. He should be starting for Buffalo after the way he played last year.

backrow

Hall of Famer
he had a great game last night, picked off two passes, one was called back but still nice play.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
"Opponents should pick apart the Ravens' secondary early this season."

These damn journalists just can't think outside the box. Did they even watch Leonard's solid if not better than solid play in his first season starting in the NFL before he got injured. Have they even watched the pre-season. It's pretty easy to be a "journalist" these days when you can just make stuff up. They won't take any heat for wrong analysis when it's negative analysis of a white player. But if you say "IMO Vince Young will never become a good QB in this league" prepare for an onslaught of criticism!
smiley11.gif

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I was watching the game when Leonhard made his key sack, then made a nice punt return on the very next play. I'm sure the drunk white fans were like the robot in Lost In Space at that point: "That does not compute. That does not compute."

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
Love this guy, I still remember when he was returning punts and sticking people at Wisconsin. Its a shame he has to wait almost six years in this league before he gets a damn shot!

I was amazed yesterday when I heard the announcers refer to Leonard as an "all-around athlete" during the Ravens game. It was a breath of fresh air.

He's been playing very well lately and teamed with Ed Reed produce a very good Baltimore secondary.

I'm looking forward to watching him continue to develop. He may be the next "John Lynch", and by that I mean the next good white safety to make the Pro Bowl consistently.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
celticdb15 said:
Love this guy, I still remember when he was returning punts and sticking people at Wisconsin. Its a shame he has to wait almost six years in this league before he gets a damn shot!

Yeah, we were geeked up here when he graduated because this was a guy you knew could play at the NFL level, typical that he has to serve his "white apprenticeship" period before getting the chance that all us amateur experts here at castefootball knew he deserved. Some down trodden NFL franchise should hire someone like Don or Jimmy C. to run their player personnel dept., they'd have a winner in a year!

icsept

Master
I rooted for the Ravens this year strictly because of Leonhard. He's a play-maker at safety and returning punts. I don't need the announcers to tell me he's a great athlete - of course he is. It's as if the announcers have to say that to justify why a White guy is playing a Black position. Similar comments have been made about Jason Sehorn and Eric Weddle by coaches and commentators. Its like "we know you're wondering why this White guy is out there, so we're going to excessively comment on his athleticism." These guys are not freaks, they are one of many highly skilled, athletic Whites. They are just part of the few that survive the Caste System.

Taco

Guru
icsept said:
I rooted for the Ravens this year strictly because of Leonhard. He's a play-maker at safety and returning punts. I don't need the announcers to tell me he's a great athlete - of course he is. It's as if the announcers have to say that to justify why a White guy is playing a Black position. Similar comments have been made about Jason Sehorn and Eric Weddle by coaches and commentators. Its like "we know you're wondering why this White guy is out there, so we're going to excessively comment on his athleticism." These guys are not freaks, they are one of many highly skilled, athletic Whites. They are just part of the few that survive the Caste System.

they do it for black athletes too, whether theyre actually good or not. Besides its better than being called high motor, overachiever, "not the most athletic player". Its pretty rare for white guys to be complimented on their raw athleticism.

Gi-15

Mentor
some absurdity from Ross Tucker of SI.com :

Lewis is one of those rare players whose infectious personality can affect those around him. Ravens defensive tackle Justin Bannan was an average player in Buffalo. Now he is one of the better run-stuffing interior linemen in the league. Lewis had a similar effect on former Bills' defensive back Jim Leonhard.

Speaking of Leonhard, he is just one of the reasons why the Ravens can't break the bank for Lewis. They have ascending players in their prime such as Terrell Suggs, Jason Brown and Leonhard, as well as underrated and overshadowed linebacker Bart Scott, also a free agent, to worry about.

cmon, it's like they all ignore that Leonhard was a multiple time all-american and one of the best walk-on player to ever play in the NCAA. He was every bit the same player in buffalo, he just never had the chance to do it for an entire season. Lewis aint got nothing to do with his good play this season, confidence from his coaches did.

Thrashen

Hall of Famer
Uh, I watched alot of Ravens games this season, and Ray Lewis wasnt anything amazing at all. That is, aside from his "natural leadership skills." I'm shocked there is such a huge market forhim, especially at his age and tenure.

There were seasons where Lewis was definately themost consistent and most productive LB in the NFL (neck-and-neck with Zach Thomas and Brian Urlacher). The past few years, I havent been too impressed. He used to stand out, now he seems like just another player.

Leonhard, on the other hand, is an impact player during every game. I'm very, very surprised he didnt fade into obscurity after being let go by Buffalo (where he also played outstanding). The sad thing is, there have been so many "Jim Leonhard types" in the NCAA (and not recruited out of the HS) who never got their shot.

He's young and exciting, and it seems like even the NFL caste-boys have accepted him as starting material.Edited by: Thrashen

backrow

Hall of Famer
Don, can we move this thread to Jets forum?

"In a remarkable show of toughness, safety Jim Leonhard was in the starting lineup yesterday just six days removed from having surgery to insert three screws into his broken right thumb."

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/pats_rub_it_in_CFqsfOMCdwTrOPSmDrQ0RM#ixzz0Xhr1KRUf

Jim is a quarterback of Jets offense, he's the one wearing a headset on the D. He had 10 tackles playing with the broken thumb!

TwentyTwo

Master
Back in college...at 5'-8' Jim Leonhard would win the Wisconsin Badger football team's Slam Dunk Contest! The dude is an incredible athlete!

Yet unknowingly...some causual moronic observers would say he's just a smart player; not overly athletic...

Taco

Guru
TwentyTwo said:
Back in college...at 5'-8' Jim Leonhard would win the Wisconsin Badger football team's Slam Dunk Contest! The dude is an incredible athlete!
<div> </div>
<div>Yet unknowingly...some causual moronic observers would say he's just a smart player; not overly athletic...</div>

he would use his smarts to dunk that ball in the basket obviously

backrow

Hall of Famer
hahaha, good one Taco!

the guy is just a perfect example of what most white athletes could do if given as shot at playing defensive backfield. McGraw was another guy who didn't see extensive playing time til this season (outside of 6 games for Jets when he was promptly called a bust after not recording an interception adn 10 tackles in every game), when he's almost 30! Wendling is a phenomenal athlete who's wasting away on Bills. Dustin Fox has been weeded out of the league... there's also Steltz who is maybe not as athletically gifted as these guys but as sure of a tackler as there is and he sees almost no pt whatsoever.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
White DBs, like White linebackers, seem to always be making tackles or are around the ball. It was like that last night with John Busing, who is technically a backup (after being unfairly scapegoated earlier in the season). Steve Gregory recovered two fumbles Sunday and of course Eric Weddle is always all over the field. Sabby Piscatelli is also having a very solid season after being scapegoated in the season opener.

It's nice to see McGraw get a chance after so many years of being forgotten. I figured he would be out of the league this year.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Wasn't McGraw on the Lions last year? Geez talk about a team that could use a guy that can tackle. I really think NFL coaches are retarded. They would prefer to play a guy who is "athletic" but can't tackle to save his life over a guy who can actually tackle. Nuts.

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
Jon McGraw was picked up by the Chiefs after the 2006 season as a free agent. He's been a "special teams demon", and captain, for the Chiefs for the 2007 and 2008 seasons before finally being promoted above "Herm player" Jarrad Page this season at free safety. If he had been starting all of this time, he would be a pro bowl player by now, but as it is, at 30 years old he's just getting his sea legs at FS. Assuming that he isn't "demoted" at some point, he will be phenomenal.

itsme

Guru
Report: Jets benching $33.5M safety Rhodes

FOX Sports' Jay Glazer reports that Jets players tell him the team is benching FS Kerry Rhodes in favor of Eric Smith.
smiley36.gif
smiley32.gif

Taco

Guru
Leonhard is Strong Safety and Smith is replacing Rhodes at Free Safety, so yes, we can expect to be starting 2 white DB's! (Although with Leonhard's athleticism, he should be cornerback, but i'll take it)

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Eric Smith is quite a story, if you search the CF archives I remember posting a story about him from a newspaper in East Lansing where he played college ball (MSU). It talked about the racial stereotyping and slotting that he faced trying to be a DB. It was one of the first news articles on the subject that I remember. It was pretty well done probably because it was a small town paper. Nice to see he is starting in the NFL while all the brutha's rated ahead of him are now standing on street corners with quarts of malt liquor.