Jesse Lumsden signs

white is right

Hall of Famer
The problem is their offense is terrible and the Tabbies are perpetually behind most games. Chang and Maas are subpar(Chang has some upside), also the Tabbies line might as well be playing flag football.....
smiley36.gif
smiley11.gif

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
finally an article that points out the obvious issues that have prevented Lumsden from succeeding in the NFL...
<DIV =storyer>
<H2>Tiger-Cats' Lumsden breaks CFL's mould</H2>
<DIV =feed_details>
<H4>HERB ZURKOWSKY, The Gazette</H4>Published:7 hours ago

Jesse Lumsden heard it all while growing up, yet remained undaunted and, somehow, persevered.

He was too tall.

He was too white.

He was too lean.

He was even too Canadian.

"I wanted to do it, and I wasn't going to let anyone tell me I couldn't," he said.

They call it the Canadian Football League, but it's a misnomer. Sure, the rules are unique, but half the rosters are comprised of U.S.-born players, including the skill positions of quarterback and running back. And the coaching staffs are almost entirely comprised of Americans, although a pair of Canucks, British Columbia's Wally Buono and Edmonton's Danny Maciocia, God bless them, are non-imports.

So you can imagine how refreshing it is to see Lumsden lining up in the Hamilton Tiger-Cats backfield and, for the most part, succeeding. Lumsden is a white, Canadian running back. Imagine that?

Twice, he has tried making it in the National Football League, with Seattle and Washington, but didn't survive long - because he's a white, Canadian running back.

Even before turning pro, Lumsden heard whispers some teams wanted to convert him to slotback because he's a white, Canadian running back. It mattered little that he captured the Hec Crighton trophy in 2004, awarded annually to the outstanding player in the Canadian college ranks, or that he set a single-season CIS rushing mark of 1,816 yards. Only through the grace of former Ticats head coach Greg Marshall - a Canadian, and Lumsden's collegiate coach at McMaster - was he drafted sixth overall in 2005 and allowed to play the position of his choice.

Marshall has long since departed, but Lumsden, in his first full season with Hamilton, is thriving. He's the league's second-leading rusher, with 592 yards on only 67 carries - a mind-boggling average of 8.8 yards per trip - along with three touchdowns. He gained 158 yards in a game against B.C. Two weeks later against Winnipeg, and with his father, former CFL fullback Neil Lumsden doing commentary on the radio, he had 211 yards. He was named the league's Canadian player of the month in July.

"I've always considered myself a running back," he said. "I'm proud to be Canadian and I wear the Maple Leaf on my sleeve, but I'm doing this as a player. I was always taught never to doubt my own ability.

"Running the ball is all about attitude. If you have it, that's what matters."

Lumsden, who recently turned 25, has that gumption. In spades. At 6-foot-2 and 226 pounds, he has the rare combination of size, speed and power. He's not shifty, but is quicker than people realize. He attacks the line of scrimmage with relentless power and is difficult to tackle alone. Should he elude the linebackers and hit the secondary, Lumsden seems to find a second gear.

He has a chance to become the first Canadian to lead the league in rushing since Orville Lee in 1988. He could reach Normie Kwong's 51-year-old mark of 1,437 yards - believed to be the most in a season by a Canadian back.

The Ticats have built their offence around him and Lumsden quickly has become the face of the team. The Burlington, Ont., native almost immediately was dubbed a sex symbol and had a full-page photo spread in the Hamilton Spectator.

"It would be an insult to Jesse to say I'm amazed," head coach Charlie Taaffe said. "Jesse's a heck of a player. I don't care if he's Canadian. He's a fine player who happens to be Canadian. He's developing into one of the premier players in the league. I'm glad he's on our team."

But Lumsden remains human. And he can be stopped. He was held to 38 yards two weeks ago, by Edmonton, and gained only 15 yards early this season, against Toronto. Even the Alouettes surrendered a modest 79 yards on 10 carries.

"We have to be aggressive," said Montreal linebacker Diamond Ferri, who will have the responsibility of stopping Lumsden in man coverage. "Cut the head off the snake and the snake dies. You can't hit him high; that's where his power is.

"He's going to see a lot of (number) 40. How about that? A lot."

hzurkowsky@thegazette.canwest.com

[url]http://www.canada.com/montrealgazette/columnists/story.html? id=136429f5-e511-459d-a5c5-644f05345df2 [/url]

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
This is one of the best MSM articles I've read. Mentionsthe reality of beingwhite holding Lumsden back in amatter of fact, uncontradictedmanner. Using "Canadian" along with white makes it more acceptable to bring up (several times!)the obvious racial angle.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Marc Boerigter was pursued by a host of NFL teams after having a great rookie season in the CFL, but made the mistake of signing with Kansas City, where Dick Vermeil happily let him languish on the bench for years. Even after Boerigter had a remarkable 8 TD receptions in very limited playing time in '02 (including a 99 yarder), Vermeil actually reduced the amount of timeBoerigter saw the field in '03. Boerigter eventually blew out a knee and was an afterthought in Kansas City after he successfully rehabbed it. After being waived bythe Chiefshe signed with Green Bay last year, and was cut before the preseason games started and was ignored by the rest of the league.

He's backin the CFL now, haven't heard how he's doing.

Gi-15

Mentor
TheEnglishman said:
If players in the CFL excel do NFL teams ever come in for them?

there is an agreement between the cfl and the nfl that says that on your option year in the cfl, you have the right to go get a try out in the nfl and if you stay on an nfl roster, you don't have to respect the option year of your contract. Saskatchewan leading rusher last year, Kenthon Keith, is trying to make the colts roster. Jesse will be on his option year next year.

I was at the game yesterday, and came out pretty disapointed to see that jesse got the ball only 9 times in the entire game, ti-cats really do sucks.

Don, boerigther was benched by the calgary stampeeders 2 or 3 weeks ago... Edited by: Gi-15

I hope he stays in the CFL, but some people are waking up to him and crying out that he belongs in the NFL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAl3dWh-pX4&NR=1

Seriously, I'd like to see some documentary do some "race swap" type thing with him. He can change his name to Jamarcus Langdon. They can give him some fake ID, and make up some background that he played for some lesser-known American school under the radar. Make some fake highlight videos, and show them to scouts.

Then the documentary crew could film him throughout his combines, tryouts, draft, etc. If he can't learn ebonic dialect, he can be passed off as some type of mute who lost his speaking ability (it would explain his under-the-radar status). The film crew will also record scouts calling him the next Fred Taylor or Shawn Alexander, and wonder how this talent slipped by.

Then, after a few all-pro seasons, and enough money to last him for life, he "accidentally" exposes his white identity. Then the crew records how his whole career is disassembled, defamed and discredited.

If they can't erase the statistical records, they will say it was known all along that he was white, and subject to favoritism -- or -- that it was a publicity stunt. This will be followed with black teammates coming forth and "confessing" that they injected performance enhancing drugs into Jesse's body, and that he was never well-liked in the locker room.

The entertainment possibilties are almost endless.
smiley36.gif
Edited by: FieldThrower

speedster

Mentor
Boerigter was cut by Calgary yesterday but word has it he could end with the B.C.Lions.On and on it goes.

backrow

Hall of Famer
i am guessing his cut is nothing to do with his abilities, as he is plenty good enough for CFL...

backrow said:
i am guessing his cut is nothing to do with his abilities, as he is plenty good enough for CFL...
I hate to be negative, but having watched many of his games I can say that Boerigter was far from a standout. He had many drops and was Calgary's 5th receiver (the equivalent of 3rd receiver in the NFL). One of the receivers who was ahead of him was White, Brett Ralph.

As the highest paid receiver, he was not worth it for them.

backrow

Hall of Famer
fair enough, TorontoArgos.

anyways, here's an article linked by Draft Daddy.com.

"Twice, he has tried making it in the National Football League, with Seattle and Washington, but didn't survive long - because he's a white, Canadian running back."

Jesse Lumsden's team recorded their 2nd win of the season (2-10) in Lumsden's first game back from injury...in a thrilling comeback.

Lumsden had 12 carries for 40 yards and 1 fumble. 4 catches for 39 yards and 1 TD. Wooo!

Highlights

backrow

Hall of Famer
Jesse had 12 carries for 76 yards in a loss to Winnipeg.
so far he has 743 yards on 98 carries, 7.6 ypc and 3 TDs. his rushing total is number 4 in the league, while he is fifth in total yards from scrimmage with 1091.

with 5 weeks of the season left he should be able to get another 350-500 yards depending on how many carries he's given... with luck he can finish 3rd in the league, despite missing several games and getting so few carries (top 2 runners have over twice as many as him, number 3 has 70 carries more).

with all that he showed this season i would really like to believe that he can get a real shot at NFL.
K. Keith got a shot last year and is now a backup for Colts.
we shall see, i guess and i don't hold my breath.

btw, here's what warranted NFL contract for him:

"Keith was named a CFL West Division all-star last season, rushing 167 times for 1,067 yards and four touchdowns in 16 starts.

The five-year pro ranked fifth overall in total rushing yards, but led all running backs with 6.2 yards per carry.

For his efforts, he was Saskatchewan's nominee as most outstanding player."

Jesse Lumsden is on a definite pace to get better numbers than Keith, he can easily get over 1k rushing yards, has 4 total TDs already and has a better ypc.
Edited by: backrow

Gi-15

Mentor
Running back Jesse Lumsden suffered a subluxation - an incomplete or a partial dislocation - of his upper arm in Hamilton's 27-9 loss to Montreal on Aug. 25. The injury is not as serious as a dislocation. Lumsden is highly doubtful for next week's contest against Montreal. Lumsden's back up, RB Terry Caulley, suffered a sprained ankle but should play next week. - from TSN.ca

I'm begining to wonder if Jesse's reckless running style will hinder his chances at the NFL, remember, all it took for NFL teams to cut him was small hips injuries

backrow said:
Jesse had 12 carries for 76 yards in a loss to Winnipeg.
so far he has 743 yards on 98 carries, 7.6 ypc and 3 TDs. his rushing total is number 4 in the league, while he is fifth in total yards from scrimmage with 1091.

with 5 weeks of the season left he should be able to get another 350-500 yards depending on how many carries he's given... with luck he can finish 3rd in the league, despite missing several games and getting so few carries (top 2 runners have over twice as many as him, number 3 has 70 carries more).

with all that he showed this season i would really like to believe that he can get a real shot at NFL.
K. Keith got a shot last year and is now a backup for Colts.
we shall see, i guess and i don't hold my breath.

btw, here's what warranted NFL contract for him:

"Keith was named a CFL West Division all-star last season, rushing 167 times for 1,067 yards and four touchdowns in 16 starts.

The five-year pro ranked fifth overall in total rushing yards, but led all running backs with 6.2 yards per carry.

For his efforts, he was Saskatchewan's nominee as most outstanding player."

Jesse Lumsden is on a definite pace to get better numbers than Keith, he can easily get over 1k rushing yards, has 4 total TDs already and has a better ypc.
Game Highlights

backrow

Hall of Famer
oh man. here goes his season, and probably last shot at NFL

get healthy Jesse!