James Toney "Intimidates" The Iceman

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Boxer/"afflete" James T(y)oney is supposedly pursuing an MMA fight. T(y)oney attended UFC 107 & traded #s & texts with Dana White. T(y)oney claims he "intimidated" Chuck Liddell.
smiley8.gif
First off, if these 2 ever fought, chuck could easily take T(y)oney down & submit or G&P him (Chuck was a college wrestler & T(y)oney has zero wrestling or BJJ experience). If Chuck chose to stand, he might risk getting caught (ONLY due to Chuck's declining speed & chin)...BUT T(y)oney would have to deal with kicks & knees. Secondly, I doubt Dana would sign the 1-dimensional T(y)oney, BUT with Dana's signing/push of "gravy train" Bimbo Lice & caste push(es) as of late, I'd not be surprised.

James Toney Claims He Intimidated Liddell at UFC 107

By Sherdog.com Staff

Wednesday, December 16 10:17 am PT: Boxer James Toney attended UFC 107 last weekend in Memphis, and apparently the MMA bug has bit him.

He told FightHype.com that he met with UFC President Dana White, who told him they could do business.

"We exchanged numbers and I texted him all night, 'Don't forget chicken s--t!'"Â￾ Toney said.

Toney suggested to FightHype that his inclusion in the UFC would break pay-per-view records, especially if he were matched up against Kimbo Slice, Randy Couture or Chuck Liddell. Liddell, in particular, seemed of interest to Toney, who said he was sitting behind "The Iceman" at UFC 107 and "could tell he was uncomfortable with my presence."Â￾

***Reference article Edited by: DixieDestroyer

icsept

Master
Pathetic. Apparently James Toney is broke. It's funny how the afflete boxers see the decline of their sport and want to come eff up mma. UFC definitely doesn't need this kind of publicity stunt.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
icsept said:
Pathetic. Apparently James Toney is broke. It's funny how the afflete boxers see the decline of their sport and want to come eff up mma. UFC definitely doesn't need this kind of publicity stunt.

Good point on the boxer affletes. It doesn't help that former UFC HW champ Tim Sylvia allowed himself to be KO'd by Ray Mercer. I'm sure that gives these afflete/boxers some "ammo" to diss on or claim they could succeed in MMA. ***Sylvia should have checked left his ego in the locker-room & immediately worked for a takedown+sub on Mercer.
smiley18.gif
smiley5.gif

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Toney is one of the biggest idiots in all of sports. He claims there will never be a white boxing champion even though Europeans dominate most divisions. I guess they don't count as white to the big bad afflete. Big talk from a fat f--k who likes to come into fights 30lbs overweight. He also has a nice case of gynocomastia.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
anyone who believes that this fool intimidated Liddell is too dumb to be alive. un-freaking-believable.

guest301

Hall of Famer
Jimmy Chitwood said:
anyone who believes that this fool intimidated Liddell is too dumb to be alive. un-freaking-believable.

Ditto, couldn't have said it better, JimmyC.

hawkeye

Guru
Toney's a joke, He knows he has no shot at being boxing heavyweight champ. So the 43 year old is going to try his chances at MMA. He won't fight Liddell who already is fighting Tito. They suggested Little Nog, due to him being an boxer, but I doubt it will happen. Most likely Toney will go to strikeforce and fight some can or fight Kimbo, who also has no ground game.

hawkeye

Guru
Sylvia was 311 pounds for that fight and didn't train mma due to the fact that it was suppose to be a boxing match. I think Sylvia would win the rematch though.

white is right

Hall of Famer
whiteathlete33 said:
Toney is one of the biggest idiots in all of sports.  He claims there will never be a white boxing champion even though Europeans dominate most divisions.  I guess they don't count as white to the big bad afflete.  Big talk from a fat f--k who likes to come into fights 30lbs overweight.  He also has a nice case of gynocomastia. 
What are "Russians" now honorary ********..
smiley36.gif
smiley2.gif
Toney is on the way to Palookaville. He sounds like he ate a whole container of Skippy peanut butter before his interviews....
smiley36.gif

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
white is right said:
whiteathlete33 said:
Toney is one of the biggest idiots in all of sports. He claims there will never be a white boxing champion even though Europeans dominate most divisions. I guess they don't count as white to the big bad afflete. Big talk from a fat f--k who likes to come into fights 30lbs overweight. He also has a nice case of gynocomastia.
What are "Russians" now honorary ********..
smiley36.gif
smiley2.gif
Toney is on the way to Palookaville. He sounds like he ate a whole container of Skippy peanut butter before his interviews....
smiley36.gif

Whiteisright I have actually heard blacks say that Russians are really black guys that just look white. I am 100% serious when I say this. Their stupidity never ceases to amaze me.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Evidently, Dana "Anti" White had a meeting with boxing "afflete" James "Eater of Bologna " Toney...as over-the-hill James "YOney" has been harping on fighting in the UFC. For all the bashing of "freak shows" in other promotions that "Anti" White has done...he'd (again) show his hypocrite self if he signs this "afflete". Besides, YOney would be quickly dismantled by any UFC HW who chose to shoot on YOney & work the G&P + submission.

Video - Dana White Speaks With James Toney

***Sherdog article on James "YOney"

***P.S. - Here's some boxer vs. kickboxer results...

Masato Uses Vicious Leg Kicks to Finish "Afflete" Boxer Phillips

Masato KO's Boxing Middleweight Champ Kalakoda (mulatto)

Edited by: DixieDestroyer

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Dixie, you don't think Dana will give Toney someone who will stand and bang? If having Toney on a card generates PPV $$$, Toney will never see a wrestler in the UFC; they won't risk losing the money that his novelty generates.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
White Shogun said:
Dixie, you don't think Dana will give Toney someone who will stand and bang? If having Toney on a card generates PPV $$$, Toney will never see a wrestler in the UFC; they won't risk losing the money that his novelty generates.

I'm reading chatter on Sherdog they'd likely match YOney against fellow afflete Bimbo Lice. You're right on the money...if (Anti)White signs YOney they'll feed him stand-up guys. I'd not at all be surprised if Dana pulled an "Elite XC" and "suggested" YOney's opponents keep it standing. If they sign this 1-dimensional afrolete, that's another strike against the UFC. I too am hoping Strikeforce gains more momentum.

hawkeye

Guru
White had a talk with Toney and he has decided to not fight in an MMA bought. The name that was brought up was Little NOG. Toney called out Randy, Chuck, and Tito, but they all have opponents. Toney said that he wasn't going to embarass himself.

guest301

Hall of Famer
hawkeye said:
White had a talk with Toney and he has decided to not fight in an MMA bought. The name that was brought up was Little NOG. Toney called out Randy, Chuck, and Tito, but they all have opponents. Toney said that he wasn't going to embarass himself.

It sounds like Dana White talked some sense into him and showed him what happens to the average boxer who tries to fight MMA. It's funny that Toney said he doesn't want to embarrass himself since he does that every time he opens his stupid mouth.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
guest301 said:
hawkeye said:

It sounds like Dana White talked some sense into him and showed him what happens to the average boxer who tries to fight MMA. It's funny that Toney said he doesn't want to embarrass himself since he does that every time he opens his stupid mouth.

Exactly. Any A or B level MMA fighter that chose to shoot/work the take down, then sub game &/or G&P would own "YOney". I'm glad they scrapped this disaster in waiting.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Well, the UFC/Zuffa lowered the bar AGAIN, by signing loud-mouthed, washed-up boxer James "YOney". Dana is such a dadgum hypocrite. He bashed other promotions for signing "green" fighters &/or tomato cans (Hong Man Choi, Hershel Walker (Strikeforce), Bob Sapp, etc.), yet then brings in two major (MMA) green, tomato cans in Bimbo Lice & (now) James "YOney"!
smiley8.gif
smiley21.gif

UFC insists Toney signing isn't ‘freak show'

By Kevin Iole, Yahoo! Sports 13 hours, 34 minutes ago

The Ultimate Fighting Championship didn't become a billion-dollar enterprise by having its executives take crazy risks. The company was built methodically, with the larger goal always in mind.

But on Wednesday, the bus swerved sharply in a different direction when UFC president Dana White confirmed that the company had signed boxer James Toney to a multi-fight contract.
More From Kevin Iole

Veteran boxer James Toney signed a multi-fight contract with the Ultimate Fighting Championship.

(Marc Serota/Getty Images)

White conceded he's certain of very little about his plans for Toney other than that the future boxing Hall of Famer will compete in the UFC as a light heavyweight. Toney, being the contrarian he is, said he wants to fight as a heavyweight.

As for when Toney will fight, the level of opposition he will face and other pertinent details, White admits he hasn't mapped it out yet.

"We'll figure something out," White said. "I'm not really sure. Here's the thing with James: We were sitting around finishing the deal and talking and he told me that he'd been talking to Strikeforce. He said they were talking to him about a fight with Herschel Walker. James said to me, ‘Do you know what I'd do to that [expletive]?' He looked at me and said, ‘You know, I have a lot of pride and I'd never do anything to embarrass myself. I'm a fighter. I want to fight. And don't ever underestimate me.' "Â

White, who remains a diehard boxing fan, clearly is infatuated with Toney, who is one of the greatest pure boxers who ever lived and among the five finest boxers of his era.

But Toney is 41, has twice tested positive for steroids and in recent years he's often had a belly that has hung over his waist. And though the UFC has come a long way in convincing the masses that it's a world-class sport and not some kind of a carnival sideshow, it's hard to see much of an upside in this signing.

If Toney gets blown out in his UFC debut, his opponent won't get much credit. Most of the talk will be that the opponent beat up an aged, over-the-hill boxer.

On the other hand, if Toney were to win, it would cause plenty to question the quality of fighters in the UFC.

There doesn't seem to be an upside for the UFC unless Toney shows up in peak shape and puts on several quality fights in a row.

Toney insisted his weight would not be an issue and said he has no concern about adjusting to MMA.

"Don't make wise cracks about my weight, because I've been working hard and the next time you see me, you'll be shocked,"Â said Toney, who said he would probably box sometime in the next six weeks to get the rust off. "Dana put his foot in his mouth and said UFC guys are better fighters than boxers. We'll see. Everyone who knows anything about fighting knows I'm the purest fighter in the game. There ain't no secrets.

"I've been fighting a long time. I was born fighting. I know what I'm doing. Boxing is still my main focus, but them guys are a bunch of (expletives) and they don't want to fight. So I called Dana after he put his foot in his mouth and I'm going to prove he doesn't know what he's talking about."Â

Dan Goossen, Toney's long-time friend and promoter, was disappointed to learn the news. The contract with the UFC allows Toney to continue to box and Goossen said he had conversations with Toney earlier this week about a boxing match next month.

Toney has been doing some MMA training, Goossen said. While he's no MMA expert, Goossen understands Toney will be at a disadvantage fighting against men who have been training in the sport for many years.
UFC president Dana White insisted that signing boxer James Toney was legit: "What we won't do is make a freak show out of it."
(AP File Photo)

"Let's face it: There are some bad â€" meaning good â€" fighters in MMA, no ifs, ands or buts about it," Goossen said. "There are a lot of wrestlers who are fighters now and James is not a wrestler. He's a standup fighter; he's a boxer. His skills are standing up. There's not an MMA fighter in the world who could fight James on his court, in the ring, and be able to stay with him.

"But this is like something I said to Pete Rose the other day: As great a hitter as Pete was, and he's one of the greatest who ever lived, do you think he would be the all-time hit king in cricket? It's still hitting a ball with a stick, but they're completely different sports.

"Boxing and MMA are fighting sports,"Â Goossen said. "They're related, but they're different sports. You need different skills in each of them. As great as James is, he's not going to be as good of a wrestler as the guys he faces. He can't cram into a six-, eight-, 12-week training camp what they've been doing all their lives. He's definitely going to be at a disadvantage and I don't want to see him being used."Â

White insists he didn't sign Toney to be a freak show and said he'll avoid gimmick fights like Toney against Walker, the 1982 Heisman Trophy winner, or Toney against former baseball MVP Jose Canseco.

White is not sure against who or when, but he said Toney will be just another UFC fighter when he debuts. Toney said he isn't sure when he'll debut, but said he thought June or July would be a fair guess. And he said he expects to be the main event.

"I'm a main event fighter and I've been a main event fighter since before a lot of these punk-(expletive) fighters were out of the crib,"Â Toney said. "Don't give me that (expletive) about fighting on the undercard. People want to see James Toney and I'm going to give them what they want."Â

White gave former NCAA Division I wrestling champion and ex-WWE superstar Brock Lesnar one of the stiffest challenges possible when he was matched against former heavyweight champion Frank Mir in his UFC debut in 2008.

If the UFC were to pull a similar move with Toney, he might be paired against someone like former light heavyweight champion Forrest Griffin.

Toney, though, is such an X-factor that it's difficult to match him evenly. His boxing skills are first-rate and he'll probably have the best chin in the UFC the minute he walks into the cage for the first time.

But even if he's paired with a striker, how will he defend against kicks? If he's paired with a grappler, like Lesnar was, will he be able to escape without having his arm broken?

There are a lot of hard decisions White is going to have to make with this signing.

"We threw the kitchen sink at Brock when he came in,"Â White said. "Are we going to do that same thing with James? I don't know. To be 100 percent honest with you, all [expletive] aside, I haven't thought it out.

"I like James Toney. He's one of the greatest boxers ever. I have tremendous respect for him. He said he wanted to fight in the UFC and I was interested. Now he's here and I have to figure out what to do with him. What we won't do is make a freak show out of it. I'd be the first to scream if someone else did that, so I'm not going to do it."Â

Toney is still a big enough name in boxing that he's been mentioned as a possible opponent for World Boxing Council heavyweight champion Vitali Klitschko. Goossen insists that with Toney's ability to sell a fight, it could set a European record for ticket sales, if it occurs.

For the first time, the UFC will have to manage the schedule of one of its fighters with someone else, since Toney's contract allows him to box.

There are a lot of variables that are going to make this a difficult proposition. White, though, is undeterred.

"Hey, I don't want this to be seen as a joke, and it's not like Herschel Walker or Canseco or any of those guys,"Â White said. "James Toney is a fighter. The worst thing anyone can ever say to me is that they were watching one of my fights and they changed the channel. That's why I'll never put [expletive] fights on.

"James is an interesting case. We know how much talent he has as a boxer and he insists he'll surprise people by how much MMA he knows. I've still got some thinking to do. But if we promote him and he does well and that raises his profile and he gets a Klitschko fight and makes a lot of money for himself and Goossen, I'd be cool with that. But James came to me and he literally chased me around the country to do it, so I'm giving him the chance. We'll get it figured out one way or another."Â

***Reference article...

guest301

Hall of Famer
This sucks, the only upside would be if Toney is fed a real A-level MMA fighter and gets grounded, punded and submitted. I suspect however that Toney will get fed a washed up Houston Alexander or Kimbo Slice.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
G301, I bet he gets (fellow MMA can) "Bimbo Lice" early. Dana anti-White knows that'll be a big draw. The way "Blewscum" Alexander "avoided" squaring off (directly) against Bimbo, his push (& maybe UFC days) is probably over. They'll probably avoid having "YOney" face a dangerous kickboxer like CroCop (early on) and want him to face strike (punch) oriented fighters.

ALL of the top UFC HWs (Lesnar, Carwin, Mir, Velasquez, Nog, etc.) would easily walk-thru the big-mouth "YOney". Other top MMA HWs (like Josh Barnett) would also destroy "YOney"..not to mention the absolute obliteration he'd get from "MMA King" Fedor!
smiley2.gif

Thrashen

Hall of Famer
I'm happy with this. Even complete has-beens like Tim Sylvia or Ken Shamrock or Tank Abbott would smash this fatty hardcore. I don't think Toney has ever been TO'ed, so he definately has a great chin. No matter, he'll just get sub'd.

Toney was probably the most boring boxer to ever fight (ok, maybe that's Jon Ruiz)...I have a feeling his MMA fights are gunna be short and sweet. The DWFs won't believe their eyes

guest301

Hall of Famer
Thrashen said:
I'm happy with this. Even complete has-beens like Tim Sylvia or Ken Shamrock or Tank Abbott would smash this fatty hardcore. I don't think Toney has ever been TO'ed, so he definately has a great chin. No matter, he'll just get sub'd.

Toney was probably the most boring boxer to ever fight (ok, maybe that's Jon Ruiz)...I have a feeling his MMA fights are gunna be short and sweet. The DWFs won't believe their eyes

I hope and believe you are right Thrashen but if you are somehow wrong and he knocks out a couple of decent MMA fighters then that would be bad for us for caste reasons. I don't expect that to happen though and any victory over Kimbo Slice doesn't count as a quality win. I don't like the fact that Dana signed him but I am hoping there is a method to Dana's madness by taking a name heavyweight fighter and eventually placing him against a A level MMA guy and seeing him squashed would go a long way of proving MMA superiority over boxing to the masses. Toney is not getting any younger and last I checked not getting any slimmer either.

Bear Backer

Mentor
It seems like the new business model of the UFC is completely different from what allowed them to get to the top of MMA world. Now instead of being about offering the "best" competition throughout the cards it seems like the UFC is focused on good competition for some of the fights, mainly the higher levels of the top tier divisions, while increasingly promoting the freak shows as the other draw. UFC had a lot of freak show qualities in its beginning days, but the difference now being instead of just taking all throws freak shows, throwing them in a big pot and saying "kill each other" they are going the route of the protected bouts with the tomato can opponents which no one likes with the exception of the greedy execs and the few leg humpers that get behind a fabricated legend like Bimbo Lice.

If I were a young quality fighter looking to make a name for myself especially in one of the less sexy divisions like lightweight and welterweight, I would be extremely pissed off by all this hot shotting crap that Dana White is moving towards with the UFC.