J. J. Watt

white is right

Hall of Famer
Sad news but he's smart to go out after a very nice season. He was a pleasure to watch during his heyday, as dominant a defensive player as the league has ever seen.
For a short bit before the injuries took hold he was in the argument for the greatest defensive end ever. This was also as a hybrid Reggie White style end. I wish he rightly won the MVP in 2014 when he was probably the only reason Houston was a playoff team as he literally was a two way player who was for that season the most disruptive force I have ever seen.

I suspect this retirement made him so positive for playing for a dead in the water Arizona team. It's always better to retire a year too early than a year too late in in pro football.

Last edited:

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Easily one of the best defensive players in NFL history and fun to watch. His entry into the league coincided with the small White revival in the NFL - Dominant White players at every position - the Pats dynasty, Jordy, Weddle, Hillis, Luck etc. He's now going to be part of that bygone era.

The Texans teams he was part of were very White friendly early on in his career. Most of his career was squandered by Bill O'Brien and the magical quota Watson. It's too bad he picked AZ over Buffalo when he was released from Houston a few years back.

Warhawk_46

Master
JJ Watt announces his retirement after the conclusion of the 2022 season.

A shame his body broke down as much as it did. He was an absolute force and is having a fantastic year this year as well.
Easily one of the best defensive players in NFL history and fun to watch. His entry into the league coincided with the small White revival in the NFL - Dominant White players at every position - the Pats dynasty, Jordy, Weddle, Hillis, Luck etc. He's now going to be part of that bygone era.

The Texans teams he was part of were very White friendly early on in his career. Most of his career was squandered by Bill O'Brien and the magical quota Watson. It's too bad he picked AZ over Buffalo when he was released from Houston a few years back.
I really enjoyed watching that Houston defense with Watt, Shaun Cody and Jared Crick along the line, with linebackers like Cushing, Brooks Reed, Connor Barwin etc.

They were a dominant group.

icsept

Master
When healthy, he was as dominant as any defensive player I’ve seen. Only 26th on the all-time sack list. But, he should be a first ballot hall of famer, for sure.

Bucky

Hall of Famer
I really enjoyed watching that Houston defense with Watt, Shaun Cody and Jared Crick along the line, with linebackers like Cushing, Brooks Reed, Connor Barwin etc.

They were a dominant group.
Yessir! I second that. For a brief time they were a CF favorite. Kevin Walter and David Andersen at WR too. Even liked Andre Johnson.

The first player in NFL history to record two seasons of 20+ sacks. An incredible three DPOY awards. Perhaps his most impressive accomplishment is something he didn't win. Watt received 13 votes for league MVP in 2014 and came in second place to the great Aaron Rodgers. To put that into perspective, the last defensive player to get anywhere near that many votes was Bruce Smith in 1990 with 11. The last defensive player to win the award was Lawrence Taylor in 1986.

In his stellar career he led the league in sacks twice and in TFL three times. In all-time career TFL, he is second behind Terell Suggs despite playing 95 less games than him. In fact, Watt recorded an NFL single-season record 39 TFL in 2012. The next closest number is 29 in 2014 and 2015, both seasons also belong to Watt.

icsept

Master
That 39 TFL stat is amazing. That 2014 season, Watt scored 5 TDs, including an 80 yard interception return. And, he was the master of swatting passes and blocking kicks. His first 5 seasons were absolutely the best of all time.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
The first player in NFL history to record two seasons of 20+ sacks. An incredible three DPOY awards. Perhaps his most impressive accomplishment is something he didn't win. Watt received 13 votes for league MVP in 2014 and came in second place to the great Aaron Rodgers. To put that into perspective, the last defensive player to get anywhere near that many votes was Bruce Smith in 1990 with 11. The last defensive player to win the award was Lawrence Taylor in 1986.

In his stellar career he led the league in sacks twice and in TFL three times. In all-time career TFL, he is second behind Terell Suggs despite playing 95 less games than him. In fact, Watt recorded an NFL single-season record 39 TFL in 2012. The next closest number is 29 in 2014 and 2015, both seasons also belong to Watt.
JJ Watt is the most dominant player I have ever seen on the defensive side of the ball. He was a human wrecking ball and there was no
way to stop him in his prime. His athleticism, coordination and aggressiveness wrecked havoc on the entire NFL. Those Houston Texans
teams were a breath of fresh air in a world of copycats that don't think outside of the box. Their defense was between 1/4 to 1/3 and maybe
even close to half white with the exception of corners and safeties yet they could not be stopped. Similar to Iowa in College Football the
last few years. JJ Watt was without a doubt the KING and Supreme Leader that led the way. He will be missed. He deserved the MVP that year.

Warhawk_46

Master
When healthy, he was as dominant as any defensive player I’ve seen. Only 26th on the all-time sack list. But, he should be a first ballot hall of famer, for sure.
Think of how many games he has missed due to injury - how amazing his stats would be if not for them?

Even last year, despite not posting sacks he was among the top couple in pressures and hits.

He will finish his career on a high note; among the league leaders in sacks, TFLs, pressures and hits despite the large % of double-teams he faces.

Oh and I believe he leads all down linemen in batted passes as well.

jphoss

Mentor
I haven’t watched too many Rams games over the past decade but with the news of JJ Watt retiring I’m seeing comparisons to Aaron Donald. I looked up his stats and he had 1 monster year and the rest was good but nowhere close to JJ Watt’s production. Listening to the media Donald is better than Reggie White but his numbers don’t back it up. Can anyone who has watched the Rams more frequently comment on how good Donald is?

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
I haven’t watched too many Rams games over the past decade but with the news of JJ Watt retiring I’m seeing comparisons to Aaron Donald. I looked up his stats and he had 1 monster year and the rest was good but nowhere close to JJ Watt’s production. Listening to the media Donald is better than Reggie White but his numbers don’t back it up. Can anyone who has watched the Rams more frequently comment on how good Donald is?

JJ Watt is better than Donald. Donald has been very good and has been healthy more of his career but Watt is the better player. The media has a very short memory and carelessly throws around superlatives without respect to their actual definitions or in context. Shame on the average fan who does not question it.

Warhawk_46

Master
JJ Watt is better than Donald. Donald has been very good and has been healthy more of his career but Watt is the better player. The media has a very short memory and carelessly throws around superlatives without respect to their actual definitions or in context. Shame on the average fan who does not question it.
Donald is an all-time great defensive tackle, no denying it.

JJ is an all-time great defensive player period. His only crack in his game
Is his ability to stay healthy. Imagine his career numbers if he was able to stay healthy!