Hunter Furr - the college thread

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
<B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">Furr is Murder(ed)<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />[/B]
<I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">If speed kills, then Hunter Furr is the type of assassin that every football coach says he wants. So why is his college career dying on the sideline?[/I]
By Jimmy Chitwood
hunterfurragain.jpg

You don't know him. You've never heard him talked about on ESPN. You've never seen his highlights on Sportscenter. But Hunter Furr might be the most athletic college football player in the country.
A true freshman tailback at the University of North Carolina, Furr embodies possibly the best combination of size and speed in all of college football. At 6-feet, 205-pounds, Furr has ideal size for the tailback position. And with his 10.4 speed in the 100-meters, he possesses the kind of breakaway speed football coaches covet "¦ at least, so they claim.
So, I am puzzled at the lack of opportunities that Furr received this season. You see, Furr wasn't redshirted this year as many true freshmen are. Instead, the "brain trust"Â￾ that is the UNC coaching staff blew an entire year of Furr's eligibility. The result? They wasted their best athlete covering kickoffs and carrying the ball a grand total of 3 times.
But first things first. Why am I so certain of the talent in such a little-used freshman? Who is Hunter Furr?
On the gridiron, the lightly-recruited Hunter Furr ran for over 6,000 yards and 94 touchdowns in his high school career before committing to in-state North Carolina. On the track, Furr won the Nike Outdoor National Championship in the 100 meters as a senior, and he was the North Carolina State Champion in the 100 meters (3 times), 200 meters (3 times), and long jump (once).
As a senior in high school, he won the 100- and 200-meter sprints and anchored a 4x100 team that also won a state championship on the way to winning the MVP award at the NCHSAA Class 4-A track-and-field championships. This, despite carrying 15 extra pounds (approximately 220) since the end of football season. He won the 100 and 200 at the NCISAA's Class 3-A championships as a freshman and sophomore. As a junior in Class 4-A, he was a favorite to win the 100 (but false-started) and placed second in the 200.
Wait a second. What was that about putting on extra weight?
That's a good question.
The answer is: Furr was intentionally gaining weight because UNC head coach Butch Davis had told him to bulk up to 235-pounds in order to play "¦ wait for it "¦ fullback.
That's right. Davis wanted the best athlete on the entire campus to bulk up so he could be a blocker.
Wait another second. The best athlete on campus? Really?
Yes, really.
And he has the track numbers to back it up.
According to the UNC athletic website, Edward Baldwin III, had the 3 fastest 100-meter times of the year this past season for the Tarheels' track team "¦ the fastest of which (10.96 at the ACC Championship meet) is over a half-second slower than Furr's personal record of 10.43.
In fact, the fastest personal record listed for any of UNC's sprinters in the 100 meters (Kelvin Hardy's 10.45) is slower than Furr's.
The same goes for the 200 meters, where sprinter Charles Cox had the 4 fastest 200-meter times. And again his best time was slower than Furr's personal best (21.36 compared to 21.21).
So, the moment he stepped foot on campus as a true freshman, Hunter Furr was the fastest Tarheel at UNC, despite being much, much bigger than the other contenders.
But then things quickly went off track for the track star back in August. Furr, who was fighting for a spot at tailback, was sucker punched in the face in a dorm room by "¦ according to the head coach "¦ Furr's "friend"Â￾ and "teammate"Â￾ Donte Paige-Moss.
Of course, Davis stood by the 6-4, 235-pound ghetto thug d-lineman, saying that Paige-Moss was a "great kid"Â￾ and that his attack "shouldn't reflect on the type of person he really is."Â￾ After the arrest, charges were dropped, and "punishment was handled inside the program."Â￾ You can make up your own mind as to whether all that adds up or not.
<I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">([/I]<I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">In related news, I'm sure it's coincidental that Paige-Moss is suspended for the Tarheels' bowl game for "¦ get this "¦ fighting with an N.C. State player after UNC lost to their rival. Sounds like a great kid. And he learned his lesson, too. Really. No, really he did![/I]
<I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">"He was very apologetic," Davis said after this latest violent outburst. "He understood. We've got a great relationship with the kids. They know that there's high expectations for their actions. He's a young freshman. Sometimes he hasn't had the opportunity to be in a position to be put in that kind of situation. Everything is a teachable moment, and that's what we'll use that as."[/I]
<I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">Davis must've forgotten about the earlier "incident"Â￾ that apparently wasn't a teachable moment.[/I]
<I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">I also wonder if Davis' statements have anything to do with Paige-Moss being a "phenomenal"Â￾ afflete. He was rated the No. 8 overall recruit in the nation last season, named a Super-Prep and Parade All-American, as well as being touted as the No. 1 defensive end in the country by Scout.com. Oh, and despite being in the defensive line rotation all season, he has a "whopping"Â￾ 5 total tackles. What a "playmaker!"Â￾ Those recruiting "experts"Â￾ are never wrong. And he's such a great person, too! [/I]
<I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">Again, you can add this all up for yourself and come to your own conclusions.[/I]<I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">)[/I]<I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">[/I]
Meanwhile, back on the football field, Furr and his killer speed were buried on the depth chart "¦ buried under lesser talents, in fact.
The results speak for themselves.
On the year, UNC had 10 total runs of 20-plus yards, but 6 of them came from wide receivers. On the year, 9 players had more carries than Furr, including 3 wide receivers. It's likely none of these players could outrun Hunter Furr in a footrace if he was running backwards. Yet "somehow"Â￾ they were all talented enough to deserve more opportunities ...
The two main feature backs, Ryan Houston and Shaun Draughn, carried the ball 291 times this season. They produced a total of 4 20-plus yard runs while averaging 4.1 yards-per-carry. Not exactly gamebreaking stuff, here.
Houston, who the UNC football site claims "has worked hard to become quicker and faster since enrolling as a freshman,"Â￾ carried the ball 167 times this season, and his longest run was a whopping 20 yards "¦ against the lowly Citadel. Draughn carried the ball 124 times and managed a whopping grand total of three carries of 20 yards or more. Barely. He had a 20-yard run, a 26-yard run, and a team-high-for-the-year 44-yard dash.
And it's not like these guys earned their spot by their performance in high school. Furr put up better numbers against better competition even then. Not to mention the speed factor "¦ where Furr would skin them alive.
So that leads me to my biggest question. Is racism involved?
You see, the best athlete on campus is a White tailback.
Of course, not everyone believes that. The tailback part, I mean.
Butch Davis certainly didn't. He wanted Furr to be a fullback. The "experts"Â￾ at Scout.com thought he should be a safety. Rivals.com didn't know where to put him, but they only rated him as a two-star athlete.
hunterfurrscout.jpg

hunterfurrrivals.jpg

It makes you wonder what it takes for a White athlete to have "talent"Â￾ according to these guys. Doesn't it?
If an incredibly productive tailback, with ideal size, who happens to be one of the fastest sprinters in the nation isn't considered to be good enough, then why are these slower, smaller, less productive "talents"Â￾ more highly touted? Is it because the fast kid is White and the others are black?
Nah "¦ that would be racist. Wouldn't it?

kre08

Guru
Fantastic article on a really disgusting matter. Truly eye opening stuff even to the most hard-headed of skeptics. Thanks for the contribution Jimmy Chitwood.

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
Excellent Article, JC. I hate caste whore Butch Davis and the Tar Babies of UNC. I'd rather have had him walk on somewhere else than go to there. Furr will be the most screwed RB in recent memory, even moreso than Kevin Harris, who Al Grobe never saw fit to play very much, despite being the best RB on his team.

But damn, even Grobe could use a guy like Furr right now. Get out of there, Hunter. This is sickening.

Riddlewire

Master
A well-written piece that doesn't dally or mislead. Should be a front page article.
It's good to have all this info in a single compilation. And in the college forum. I know that some CF posters never venture into the high school forum where we first discussed Hunter. I had stopped checking out UNC forums by the end of the football season, because it just made me too angry to think about it any more.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Great piece, JC. It's such a shame that a gifted athlete like Hunter didn't know any better than to commit to a teamrun by the odious Caste coach Butch Davis. If White football players begin to get hip to the Caste System in large numbers they can put a huge dent in it simply by no longer going to the schools that will never give them a fair chance. What a complete waste of a rare talent.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
JC does it again. Good article! I haven't been posting for a while b/c I've been so busy.

I'd like to see a day where white football players start to 100% get it and start to organize as a group. If a memo went out to white players to completely avoid certain schools like NC no matter what position even as a QB or o-linemen- the boycott could really hurt schools. A more likely thing that could happen is a legal movement to deny Rivals.com's ability to put pictures of white H.S players in their profiles on their site. A lawyer might be able to make the argument that Rivals.com is racial slandering and pictures of these kids while high schoolers is a personal privacy issue. They should have the right to have a picture and video free profile. If basically every white player stood up and refused to run at Rivals combines and refused to give game tape and it became a coal black event more DWFs would wake up.

Don Wassall said:
Great piece, JC.  It's such a shame that a gifted athlete like Hunter didn't know any better than to commit to a team run by the odious Caste coach Butch Davis.  If White football players begin to get hip to the Caste System in large numbers they can put a huge dent in it simply by no longer going to the schools that will never give them a fair chance.  What a complete waste of a rare talent. 

This reminds me of some earlier posts of mine referring to free agents in pro football. I had noted that in the NFL, white free agents would sign with teams that would not use them very much. White players at positions like WR seemed oblivious to the idea of making certain of being in a good situation with the team they would join.

Are white players not "hip to the Caste System?" That is an intriguing question.

G

Of course white players and their families are not "hip" to the caste system, because JC made no mention of the caste system trying to sound smarter than the caste whores. Sure go ahead and debate them by first rattling off the numerable facts and figures and then long after everyone's eyes glaze over and their minds shift back to what they were trained to think drop the "race" lable in there somewhere. I demand a rewrite and the phrase "caste system" must appear within the first paragraph. Besides its elementary to include in the intro what you intend to prove.Now everyone join in and hate on me, whine to the mods to ban me for not sounding like everyone else.

icsept

Master
Awesome article. It is unbelievable that he lost a year of eligibility for 3 freaking carries. Even the brothas would have to say "give the white boy a chance". Butch Davis is a negrophile and I hope his program crashes and burns.

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
Even though the Tar Heels play Pitt, who have odious caste lackey Dave Wannstedt as their coach, I hope the Panthers crush Uncle Butch. Wannstedt's team has more white starters anyways.Edited by: Jack Lambert

icsept said:
Awesome article. It is unbelievable that he lost a year of eligibility for 3 freaking carries. Even the brothas would have to say "give the white boy a chance". Butch Davis is a negrophile and I hope his program crashes and burns.

Remember, he didn't "lose" a year of eligibility. He still has 4 more years in which to play 3 more seasons in D1. If he transferred now, he would have to sit out a season which would use his redshirt, then he could play again in 2011, 2012, and 2013.

referendum

Mentor
A good example of a white athlete who avoided Furr's awful treatment is of course Toby Gerhardt who instead of staying local, at USC, where he was of course going to be either a fullback or "the next Junior Seau" according to the USC linebacker coach, went to a school which did use him appropriately. Result: Stanford came close to winning the PAC 10, and USC is playing in the Emerald Bowl.

Pie

Guru
You can be 5'6" 175lbs as long as you have that kind of speed and the media and coaches will all stick up for your small size because you're such a special talent, and you 'can't teach speed'.... just so long as you're black.

But if you're white, you can have the same speed AND optimal size and it's just not enough.

Even those this article makes me angry just from the hypocricy of it all, what it really does is just make me sad for the young man. He has the natural ability, talent, and size that the rest of us could only dream of having had when we grew up, and his life is devoted to this sport, and he get's this kind of treatment. Blood boiling.

StarWars

Mentor
wile said:
Of course white players and their families are not "hip" to the caste system, because JC made no mention of the caste system trying to sound smarter than the caste whores. Sure go ahead and debate them by first rattling off the numerable facts and figures and then long after everyone's eyes glaze over and their minds shift back to what they were trained to think drop the "race" lable in there somewhere. I demand a rewrite and the phrase "caste system" must appear within the first paragraph. Besides its elementary to include in the intro what you intend to prove.Now everyone join in and hate on me, whine to the mods to ban me for not sounding like everyone else.

I agree. Just "I demand" is kindof strong. Write your own article.

dwid

Hall of Famer
You can't really just come out and say there is a system in place to keep all Whites out of skill positions. People usually get defensive when you say things like this, and will probably ignore everything you have to say. The best thing to do is show them White athletes that are very deserving but aren't getting a real shot. Eventually the smarter ones will start to question why and start forming their own opinions. Its not that easy to expose dwfs to the truth, besides its on the front page of this website that is labled "castefooball" and has the definition.

StarWars

Mentor
I believe like Wile that if enough people use the word "caste system" in sports that eventually people will have to judge whether or not they agree, whether they are on our side or not.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Great article JC! Furr is an awesome athlete that should be getting tons of PT/reps.

JReb1

Mentor
White HS athletes do indeed need to be aware of which schools will give them a fair chance to use their football skills. They should without a doubt know how much the school they plan on going to is invested in the Caste system. SO many college and NFL teams could vastly improve and quickly if they'd use the top flight white talent that's so often dismissed, it's so frustrating! This is even true for fantasy sports, I've been a dominant owner in one of the most competitive baseball leagues 5 years running because I draft all of the underrated white players that slip by the other DWF's in my league.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Great article, JC!
smiley20.gif

Rise

Guru
Good stuff Jimmy, as always! I would love to hear Hunter's response to this article. Do you think there would be any way to contact the universities or agents of pro players to schedule interviews with the athletes? Or maybe even former pro players that have obviously been screwed (we have an endless list of them) that have nothing to lose exposing the discrimination? We could obviously pose the right questions to these guys that the MSM sports writers dances around. Or am I just spinning my wheels, do we have to be an official news website to be granted interviews?

G

People keep mentioning bottom up, well then if that is the case then the targets of our messages should be directed towards the parents of athletic kids. Now I'm sure the first time a parent of a athletic wonder kid who brings up the "Caste System" will be drubbed by his DWF type A personality friends, but over time our side will learn to dominate those who we can easiy point to as discriminating against our children. Its quite simple, those who support the "Caste System" are discriminating against our children, period.

Besides basic writing 101 has it that the intro actually introduces what you intend to prove. So A+ for JC on intent a gentlemen's C for delivery and form. Sorry

On another thread a couple of 88ers congratulated themselves on getting booted off some caste whore's website, swell, did us no good whatsoever, but it did ingratiate the two into each other's sympathy club. You must leave the talking point "Caste System" in their heads, even if they then spend the rest of their lives trying to ridicule you or debunk you (they will fail, and their system will collapse of its contradictions)