Hall of Famer
Little slow, but it’s been a rough day.

My exes hate me
My friends all miss me
I wanna drown in rotgut whiskey

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I heard this song today for the first time in a long time. Unique song, maybe "languid" is the term to describe it.

Bucky

Hall of Famer

Here’s a heartfelt acoustic I just stumbled across.

Last edited:

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
The latest from Tom MacDonald, featuring who else but Ben Shapiro :shocked:

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Short and sweet classic that can be enjoyed during commercial breaks:

Menelik

Mentor

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
The Dave Matthews Band has always had a fervent following. I was never among them but have always liked this song:

One of the defining songs/ videos of the 80's .. John Hughes always had solid soundtracks for his coming of age movies.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
John Hughes directed a lot of good movies. I was just checking the list now and some of my favorites are on there, including the National Lampoon movies starring Chevy Chase, also Planes, Trains and Automobiles. Uncle Buck was pretty funny too in parts. Others, like Sixteen Candles, Pretty in Pink and Ferris Bueller's Day Off were huge hits in the '80s. His movies featured feel good, happy endings with a lot of sentimentality as well. That was in stark contrast to the perverted, dark direction Hollywood took beginning in the late 1960s with the launch of Pemanent Cultural Communist Revolution.

The Cult came out with some good rock music in the '80s, including this one:

Good shout out, Don. The Cult was definitely one of my power rock/ alternative band favorites. Saw some of their great shows in Vegas.

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
Godsmack was a band that was pretty popular for awhile in the end of the 90s into the early to mid 2000s. I remember them from my HS days. I hadn’t really thought of them much in the last decade but they had a bit of a resurgence, dropping 2 albums in the last 5 years. All the members are now solidly in their mid 50s but still going strong. Under Your Scars is a “rock ballad” that I quite like, and hit #1 on the US Rock chart when released in 2019.

If you look at the view count, you’ll see rock is still alive and well despite being purposefully pushed outside of the “mainstream” by our overlords.

Bucky

Hall of Famer
Haven’t heard that Adelitas Way song since HS! Good one for sure.

That 2019 album by Godsmack, When Legends Rise, not a bad song on the album front to back.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Godsmack was a band that was pretty popular for awhile in the end of the 90s into the early to mid 2000s. I remember them from my HS days. I hadn’t really thought of them much in the last decade but they had a bit of a resurgence, dropping 2 albums in the last 5 years. All the members are now solidly in their mid 50s but still going strong. Under Your Scars is a “rock ballad” that I quite like, and hit #1 on the US Rock chart when released in 2019.

If you look at the view count, you’ll see rock is still alive and well despite being purposefully pushed outside of the “mainstream” by our overlords.
That's true. I like to listen to videos from the '80s and '90s, just as the movies I watch are generally from that same era, and I always check the view counts. But a lot of young people are oblivious to the rock of the past, even the recent past, because they don't encounter it deliberately or accidentally anymore in their everyday lives.

Pantera was as strong as they come. They had a super-loyal following which wasn't exactly made up of the soyboys and fat green-haired girls preferred by the regime. This one has over 280 million views.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Rock music lost it's mainstream appeal by design starting in the mid-aughts. Rock radio as a format hasn't seem to support or push new bands in probably the past 15 years, deciding to switch over to a classic rock format. I am of course generalizing to a point but that is just my observation as I went through my 20s for much of the noticeable decline of rock music at the mainstream level. File sharing, record companies not investing in bands over time, the consolidation of radio with the Telecommunications Act of 1996 all certainly played a role as the rock stations all became more and more the same over time. I do also think that the record labels also decided to make a move away from rock music as it has been a genre aimed at and dominated by White artists so I do maintain it's decline is part of the Great replacement.

That's not to say Rock is dead as a genre, it's certainly disjointed and broken up to many different genres and sub-genres as my generation and the subsequent generations seem to have a proclivity for. Rather than let everyone enjoy a band the fractured mentality is for that band to stay within the narrow confines of the sub-genre of the gatekeepers. There are some good channels on youtube that post desert/sludge/doom rock and bandcamp is also a solid resource as it allows for bands to self-release albums. Of course the exposure is much less than it would be on a major label but good music is out there.

As far as Pantera - they have reunited minus the departed Abbot brothers and the tour seems to be doing well. They just played Madison Square Garden and I believe there were 18,000 tickets sold. Phil has stated he is seeing a lot of younger fans at the shows. There is still a target audience for rock music and hopefully Pantera's reunion will inspire younger kids to get into bands to make good, unapologetic, aggressive rock music.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know a lot about Zakk Wylde, the force behind Black Label Society, but I definitely want him on my side in a fight. If you've ever seen him you know what I mean: