Eric Decker

Phall

Master
A monster game for Decker caps off an impressive season marred by injury and incompetent signal-callers. Ten catches on 11 targets, 221 yards, and a touchdown is an impressive bookend to (by my count) a solid 74 reception, 962 yard, 5 score season.

These numbers must absolutely SHOCK former player and professional pundit Mark 'Stink' Schlereth, who told Jets fans to brace themselves for an "overpaid crybaby" at the beginning of the season:

“Decker in my mind was your fourth option in Denver and that’s the talent I think he has,†Schlereth said on 98.7 ESPN Radio. “I think he’s a marginal No. 2 at best.â€Schlereth said Decker benefitted from the Broncos’ system the last two years, when he had 85 and 87 catches. He said teams had to cover Demaryius Thomas, Julius Thomas and Wes Welker last year, leaving Decker open.
“The worst cover guy you have on your defense is assigned to Eric Decker every week,†Schlereth said. “New York will go crazy watching him be covered 1-on-1 and incomplete passes, throwing his arms up, begging for flags. I’m telling you New York, get ready, begging for flags like, ‘I was interfered with. That’s the only reason I didn’t catch that ball’ every play and then tripping over his own feet. Going for a big play and all of a sudden the turf monster gets him, bam, sniper, down. It will drive you crazy. It will absolutely drive you crazy.â€
Schlereth was asked if new Broncos wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders is better.
“They’re not even in the same stratosphere. It’s not close,†Schlereth said. “It’s not that he’s a bad player. He’s not a bad player. He’s just a product of that offense. I think what you’ll see is … what did he have like 87, 90 catches something like that last year? You’ll see him in the 40 range, 40-50 range, tops.â€

It's not surprising to expect Decker's numbers slip a bit after changing quarterbacks from the greatest of all time to the consensus worst starting quarterback in the league.

ESPN polled 26 coaches and personnel executives, asking them to rate this season's 32 projected starting quarterbacks. (Geno) Smith finished dead last.

To recap: big sports media, specifically ESPN, went over the top to denigrate the emerging white receiver, completely glossing over the nincompoop that has to get the ball to him. If Decker failed, it would have been because he sucks. If he played well this year, which most Jets fans would probably endorse as true, then the narrative is in place for Geno Smith to assume the credit. Unfortunately for ESPN, Smith got himself benched for incompetence and tomfoolery before doomed company man Rex Ryan threw him back in to audition as trade bait (perhaps a 4th round pick, if the Jets are lucky). There really isn't any explanation for Decker's tallies apart from getting separation from the league's 100% black cornerbacks.

BeyondFedUp

Hall of Famer
Here's a very fair article on Decker, backed up with lots of statistics to buttress the author's theme:

Eric Decker a true centerpiece for Jets next regime

http://nflspinzone.com/2014/12/29/eric-decker-true-centerpiece-jets-next-regime/

Just this quote (among all the stats in the good article), flies in the face of the Caste System:

"Decker isn’t overrated, and I’d argue that he’s actually underrated. Despite playing with quarterbacks who collectively completed just 57.6% of their passes with an unsightly 6.4 yards per attempt, the star wideout was still 14th in the league in catch rate at WR (he hauled in 64.9% of everything thrown at him) and 21st among wideouts with 8.4 yards per target."

Glad to see Decker's talents get some mainstream affirmation!

Thrashen

Hall of Famer
Decker is already Mariota's favorite WR. The 3-time 1,000-yard receiver seems poised for another great year...

http://www.espn.com/blog/afcsouth/p...ota-to-eric-decker-connection-is-already-fire

ap_17211015648782-e1501427437689.jpg

Thrashen

Hall of Famer
Decker was criminally-underutilized this season but actually ended up being the Titans' second leading receiver with 54 catches for 563 yards and a TD. His game-winning TD catch in the Wildcard game was a thing of beauty and it was nice to see him have a moment of glory after a torturous season of playing with the 1st round bust, Mariotta.

Decker is 30 and will (thankfully) be a free agent this off-season. He's married with two kids (his wife is currently pregnant with a 3rd), so I assume he'll try his best to keep playing.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Decker was a free agent this season after being cut by the Jets and the Titans were the only team interested in him. His career trajectory is becoming reminiscent of that of Brian Hartline, who had back to back thousand yard seasons then saw his usage dramatically drop to 474 yards and 523 yards the next two seasons, then was completely out of the league at age 29. Decker's a better receiver than was Hartline, but if no team shows interest in signing him to at least a two-year deal as a starter, he too may be prematurely discarded by the NFL.

Extra Point

Hall of Famer
Here's an article about Decker. It's a hatchet piece that is typical of how the mainstream media reports on white players.

The article describes Decker's last season as "boring," which is an odd description. One of of the narratives of the left is that white people are boring. This article incorporates that theme.

The article also makes it sound that Decker can only play the slot, which is outright false.

After pointing out that Decker had a better season last year than any Cardinal other than Fitzgerald, the author concludes that Decker won't be able to help the team. This makes no sense.

The purpose of the article was not to do an objective analysis of whether or not Decker could help the Cardinals but to denigrate a white man.

https://cardswire.usatoday.com/2018/06/06/erci-decker-to-cardinals-doesnt-make-much-sense/

Last edited:

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Decker worked out for the Patriots today. Would be great if the Pats sign him and he excels while Edelman is suspended and then continues to do well after Julian returns. Hogan, Edelman and Decker on the same team would be awesome to see. Decker is still better than most starting WRs in the NFL. . .

IRONGUARD

Guru
Decker would be perfect for the Patriots, but the fact remains he could help a lot of teams and no one is picking him up.

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
Decker worked out for the Patriots today. Would be great if the Pats sign him and he excels while Edelman is suspended and then continues to do well after Julian returns. Hogan, Edelman and Decker on the same team would be awesome to see. Decker is still better than most starting WRs in the NFL. . .
It’s so insane that time and time again we are counting on NE to sign our guys on the fringes (either young looking for a chance or an older guy looking to show he’s got something left in the tank). Every other NFL team pales in comparison to NE’s success over the last 2 decades yet shun the players that NE uses (on offense at least). It’s either the worst case of cognitive dissonance humanly possible or these organizations put racial pandering over long term success.

icsept

Master
I didn’t see much of Decker last year, but it’s probable that he’s lost a step. I respect Mike Lonbardi’s opinions, and his assessment was that Decker couldn’t separate at the top of his routes last year. He said the same about Dez Bryant, who also remains unsigned.

MrPoon

Mentor
I didn’t see much of Decker last year, but it’s probable that he’s lost a step. I respect Mike Lonbardi’s opinions, and his assessment was that Decker couldn’t separate at the top of his routes last year. He said the same about Dez Bryant, who also remains unsigned.
I don't know. Decker has more tread on the tires than Dez. Both can still play in this league.

I hope Decker doesn't end up getting sidelined, or Hartlined, as in Brian. Decker had to suffer with an incompetent black quarterback in Mariota along with an offensive coordinator who failed to use him properly or as often as he should have been used. Decker was an innocent victim of circumstance, but he has to take the fall in this Caste league.

Even if he has "lost a step," he's still good enough to be a starter.

Extra Point

Hall of Famer
I didn’t see much of Decker last year, but it’s probable that he’s lost a step. I respect Mike Lombardi’s opinions, and his assessment was that Decker couldn’t separate at the top of his routes last year. He said the same about Dez Bryant, who also remains unsigned.

The problem with the opinions of the mainstream media is they're biased against white players. They often give inaccurate analyses of white players influenced by their biases. You don't know if what they're telling you is is true or not because they're so often unfair to white players.

TomIron361

Mentor
The problem with the opinions of the mainstream media is they're biased against white players. They often give inaccurate analyses of white players influenced by their biases. You don't know if what they're telling you is is true or not because they're so often unfair to white players.
Is that called fake news???

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Decker's situation last year was similar to Jordy Nelson's -- underused and forced to play with a poor throwing quarterback, just not to the same extreme as Jordy, who went from being Aaron Rodgers' top target to being ignored by a joke of a quarterback who wasn't remotely close to being NFL caliber. It had nothing to do with losing a step. Decker certainly looked fine to me last year considering how little he was used. The knock on him previously had been that he was merely a "product" of playing with Peyton Manning. He proved that wrong in a big way when he excelled with the Jets in spite of less than all-time greats throwing him the ball. It was the likes of Julius Thomas who were nothing without Manning throwing to them.

Decker likely would have been out of the league even last year if the Titans hadn't (eventually) been the only team to show interest in him. It's not like he had his choice of teams pursuing him. He turned 31 in March, he's still at or near the height of his powers, considerably better imo than Brian Hartline ever was. Gruden almost signed him, but on top of signing Jordy and trading for Switzer that was undoubtedly a little too much "whitening" to undertake so quickly. Decker's still better than most number two starting receivers in the league, and better than some of the ones.

Last edited:

Bucky

Hall of Famer
Saying Decker is a product of Manning is pure rubbish! He's been an elite athlete all his life. He was dominant at Minnesota with crappy QB play against BIG Ten competition. And has proven his worth in NFL.

I agree with Don, Decker is in same boat as Jordy. Media refuses to recognize the horrid play of their QBs and the decline of Mariotta is a story in itself. Hundley has never been close lol. Though I do still think that Jordy is faster and still a deep threat whereas Decker might have to take on an Anquan Bolden veteran role as strong, sure handed possession wideout.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Great news!

Patriots signed Eric Decker, formerly of the Titans, to a one-year contract. This was the expected move after Jordan Matthews landed on injured reserve with a hamstring injury. Decker was not great during his one season with the Titans, but he did come on at the end of the year and could give New England a veteran option in the slot during Julian Edelman's suspension. That alone gives him some appeal late in drafts.

IRONGUARD

Guru
awesome NEWS.

Decker is signed. Wow!, Why is it that it is only the Patriots that give our guys a shot? Copycat league my behind. no one does what the Patriots have done, despite their obvious success. It is maddening.

TomIron361

Mentor
awesome NEWS.

Decker is signed. Wow!, Why is it that it is only the Patriots that give our guys a shot? Copycat league my behind. no one does what the Patriots have done, despite their obvious success. It is maddening.
Yep, it is interesting. I guess the head coach and owner don't care what the league thinks of them. They're dedicated to making the team win and that's it. As far as the Offensive Coordinator goes though (good x's & o's guy). I don't trust him one bit. When he finally takes over a team again, he won't give a White guy the time of day beyond QB.

Thrashen

Hall of Famer
Amazing news about Decker!

Aside from the fact that this will give NE five (5) white WR's on their active roster (Edelman, Berrios, Hogan, McCarron, Decker, and Hollister on IR)...it's also truly remarkable to think of all the white WR's that the Patriots have signed throughout Brady's career (2000-2018). In no particular order:

Tim Dwight
Wes Welker
Danny Amendola
Chris Hogan
Julian Edelman
Eric Decker
Austin Collie
Jeremy Ebert
Dane Looker
Scott McCready
Chas Gessner
Riley McCarron
Ray Ventrone
TJ Moe
Braxton Berrios
Sean Morey
Buddy Farnham
Cody Hollister
Jimmy Farris

Granted, many of these guys never caught a pass in a regular season game, were only on the PS, and exclusively were special teamers. If anyone remembers someone that I missed, please feel free to correct my list.

With Jordan Matthews cut, Malcolm Mitchell once again having knee problems, Kenny "Thug Life" Britt dealing with a hamstring injury, Decker will be competing with guys like Patterson, Dorsett, and Berrios. Berrios is a rookie who should be on the PS, Patterson has always been a terrible WR and was mainly signed as a returner (I could see him getting cut), and Dorsett has straight-line speed, but little else. If Decker has the desire to play, it's there for the taking, especially for the first 4 weeks while Edelman serves his suspension. Decker was last seen scoring the go-ahead TD in the Wildcard Round before his team was stomped by the Pats in the Division Round...

Last edited:

Shadowlight

Master
The common link with their white WR trend is Tom Brady. Brady is from the old fashioned school where QB's and WR's develop a special bond and click together. Star players like Welker and Edelman are perfect examples of WRs being on the same page with Brady. It is truly special to witness.

As time has gone on Brady has become more impatient with the schoolyard receivers who lack the discipline to stay on course. Which is why they got rid of Brandin Cooks. I said at the time he was overrated because he can't catch contested deep balls and is too erratic as a route runner. Sure he puts up measurable stats but stats are often deceiving.

ESPN NFL gossip guru Adam Schefter thinks the Decker/Brady combination could blossom into something extraordinary. Decker still has some mileage left in him and the scatter armed schoolyard style of Mariota didn't mesh at all with a smart route runner like Decker.

So all in all the Pats will be a nice fit for Decker.