Detroit Lions General Thread

Phall

Master
The Lions traded for some bozo named Denzel Mims, a second-round bust WR that the Jets drafted in 2020. They swapped a 6th rounder for a 7th rounder, which is basically just a bag of peanuts. Detroit needs bodies at the position since their "stud" 2022 draft pick Jameson Williams, who logged exactly one catch as a rookie, got himself suspended for six games this season for gambling on games.

This move introduces another competitor where none is needed to perennial 'Pre-season All-Pro' Tom Kennedy. The Lions also have undrafted 6'4 deep threat Chase Cota of Oregon/UCLA fighting for a roster spot. Needless to say, I wish Mims no success in his new landing spot.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
With the Lions having the relatively whitest defense among the 32 teams, at least when it comes to starters, and after drafting Campbell and LaPorta as their first two picks this year, my guess is that Kennedy will be added to the extremely large list of White receivers who were on the furthest fringes of rosters for a few seasons before being discarded for good.

Phall

Master
"Lists" are almost exclusively dumb clickbait, especially during the offseason. I still appreciate seeing Goff make the cut on such things, as it cements his status as a solid and capable starter (instead of an inevitable roster casualty for the next rookie upsider).

Ranking NFL's top 10 clutch QBs: [...] Jared Goff makes cut

10. Jared Goff

Jared Goff just beat out Derek Carr for the last spot on this list. He converted on 5 of 11 game-tying or go-ahead drives late in games in 2022, the fifth highest rate in the NFL. He was also third in EPA per play in those situations. His career numbers in the clutch are average, but he was carried by a bounceback year last season.

He notably threw a late game-winning touchdown pass on the road against the Jets, and led a game-winning drive in the last game of the regular season at Lambeau Field, outdueling Aaron Rodgers. If there's one throw that got away, it was a missed deep ball on Thanksgiving that could have given Detroit a win against the Bills. Instead Detroit settled for a field goal and Josh Allen played hero.

Who is the most clutch QB in the NFL? Which QB do you want with the ball in his hands with the game on the line? These are probably debates you've heard before where people spit out a list that looks identical to the list of best quarterbacks in the NFL.

Well, this exercise will be a little bit different. I let the numbers do the talking to answer these age-old questions. I used two stats:

1. QB conversion rate on game-tying or go-ahead drives in the fourth quarter and overtime
  2. Expected points added (EPA) per play in these situations (looks at value added on all plays between rushes, passes, sacks and fumbles)
Essentially, how often does a QB lead his team down the field successfully in do-or-die situations, and how does he perform on those drives. I broke those numbers down between a QBs career in the regular season, career in the playoffs, and 2022 performance. All of these were evenly weighted and used to churn out this top 10 list of the most clutch QB in the NFL.

Goff basically had a career-saving year last season. His 2022 numbers at the end of games were well-above his career averages and firmly within the top tier of all quarterbacks. This is even more impressive considering that he got almost nothing from first-round "weapon" WR Jameson Williams and that the team traded away his elite TE, TJ Hockenson. Goff made lemonade out of lemons.
6vFEvir.png

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer

Zylstra out 6 months after getting hit on the knee by an undrafted scrub named Khalil.

Did a quick search on the black scrub Dorsey. His social media certainly endorses the pro black entitlement attitude including retweets from the racist Bishop Talbert Swan as well as Kamala Harris whining about Florida fighting back against CRT. I am sure there was at least a big of racial motivation. From the article:

"Zylstra suffered the injury when he was speared in the legs by cornerback Khalil Dorsey on Monday, a hit not often seen between teammates. Many players immediately took a knee as Zylstra was examined on the field by medical staff, then was assisted off the field to the locker room."

It's fair to assume that hits like these are at least partially motivated by racial animus.

Snow Plow

Guru
Did a quick search on the black scrub Dorsey. His social media certainly endorses the pro black entitlement attitude including retweets from the racist Bishop Talbert Swan as well as Kamala Harris whining about Florida fighting back against CRT. I am sure there was at least a big of racial motivation. From the article:

"Zylstra suffered the injury when he was speared in the legs by cornerback Khalil Dorsey on Monday, a hit not often seen between teammates. Many players immediately took a knee as Zylstra was examined on the field by medical staff, then was assisted off the field to the locker room."

It's fair to assume that hits like these are at least partially motivated by racial animus.
He doesn’t look like one of our guys in some pictures, but he was an All American receiver out of Minnesota State and moved to TE from WR so I can safely assume now.

It’s just sad because he had a good chance to make the team and was taken out by a guy who will get cut.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
He doesn’t look like one of our guys in some pictures, but he was an All American receiver out of Minnesota State and moved to TE from WR so I can safely assume now.

It’s just sad because he had a good chance to make the team and was taken out by a guy who will get cut.

Pretty certain he is White. His brother is Brandon Zylstra.

Phall

Master

The Detroit Lions have no plans to break up the band anytime soon. Fresh off the franchise's best season in years, and with high expectations for the upcoming 2023 campaign, the Lions have begun talks to ensure the team's core remains intact. Detroit general manager Brad Holmes confirmed on Friday the team has initiated talks with quarterback Jared Goff and guard Jonah Jackson's reps on possible extensions.

Goff still has two years left on his current deal.

Goff, who is still just 28 years old, was named to his third Pro Bowl last year and first since being traded from the Rams to the Lions before the 2021 season. After a decent first season in Detroit, Goff and the Lions were significantly better last season. Goff started every game and completed 65.1 percent of his passes for 4,438 yards and 29 touchdowns. He led the Lions to a big Week 18 win in Green Bay that clinched a winning season for Detroit while also knocking the rival Packers out of playoff contention.
Goff's 2023 cap hit is $31.65 million, which is an extremely good deal given the recent rise in starting quarterback salaries. If Goff agrees to a team-friendly extension, it's fathomable to think that he will remain in the Lions' long-term plans.

After two years of relentless media campaigning to replace Goff with any and every upsider via the draft, it looks like he's finally solidified himself as a long-term solution with the Lions... not to mention a star in the league.