Danny Woodhead

M

mattgianone

Watch Brandon Jacobs lumber around or old Jerome Bettis lowlights. I still think Rob Konrad was one of the biggest Caste recepients in the NFL. He was fast, powerful and elusive but I dont recall him getting one carry for Miami ever.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Watch Brandon Jacobs lumber around or old Jerome Bettis lowlights. I still think Rob Konrad was one of the biggest Caste recepients in the NFL. He was fast, powerful and elusive but I dont recall him getting one carry for Miami ever.

Konrad was a running back in high school before being forced to bulk up to 255lbs to play the human battering ram position. It's the usual and it's happened to hundreds of white tailbacks before him. Even at that size he ran a 4.6 40 coming out of college. Now if he had stayed around 220lb, his ideal weight for tailback, he'd run in the 4.5 range and could have been a very good powerback. Sadly his NFL career ended with only 114 rushing yards.

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
Congratulations to Danny and his wife Stacia on the birth of their little girl:

FOXBORO, Mass. -- Running back Danny Woodhead has had an eventful 24 hours, but he returned to practice Sunday after leaving the Patriots to witness the birth of his first child.
Woodhead and his wife, Stacia, had a daughter, Gia, on Saturday.
"I'm happy about my wife and I being able to welcome a little baby," Woodhead said. "That's always a great thing, but it's back to work now.
"It's longer. It's definitely been longer. It's an awesome experience and so exciting."
Woodhead joked that they should have planned the birth around training camp because he said it was "of course" difficult to leave his wife and child to return to work.
"I also have a job, too," Woodhead said. "Obviously a job of being a husband and a father, and I've got a job of playing football, and it happens to be during training camp. I was able to get back and get to work [Sunday]."

dwid

Hall of Famer
TAMPA -- Running back Danny Woodhead, who was knocked out of Thursday night's preseason win in the fourth quarter when he took a big hit while covering a punt and stumbled when trying to get on his feet, was in the locker room afterwards.

"I feel fine," he said, before declining to answer more questions.

In his post-game press conference, coach Bill Belichick was asked about Woodhead

"I saw him in the locker room and he seemed OK," he said.

Why would you have Woodhead in on special teams in the 4th quarter of a preseason game?

bigunreal

Mentor
Exactly. These are the sorts of questions conspiracy theorists ask themselves all the time. Why would your half-starting RB be on special teams at all, let alone covering a meaningless kick in the 4th quarter of a preseason game?

It's almost like someone is trying to get rid of a problem that won't go away. Kind of hard to hide a back that averages more per touch than virtually anyone else in the league. But injuries change everything, and putting a back of Woodhead's caliber on punt coverage teams is beyond stupid. It's purposeful negligence.

They obviously want Danny to go back to his rightful place- as a special teams demon and lovable team mascot. I'm sure the Bucs were happy to oblige here, by head hunting that incredibly gifted little "white boy."

I certainly hope Danny is okay, but regardless Belicheck should be grilled mercilessly about one of the most boneheaded moves of his coaching career.

FootballDad

Hall of Famer

FootballDad

Hall of Famer

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Nice call, FootballDad. There is no denying that Woodhead's hit was much more forceful and was a much more of a leading hit than the one Johnson took. Just like when Whites make hits like that and get penalized more often than blacks, White players don't benefit from calls as much as blacks do. Like so many double standards that are an inherent part of the Caste System, this one is abhorrent.

Tom Iron

Mentor
Colonel_Reb,

Sir, I'm sure you're correct as to how hard Woodhead was hit, but let's not fall into the same whining attitude of blacks. However hard White guys get hit is just what they have to deal with. As long as it's clean hit, I've got no problem with it. I'm sure our guys get out there and deliver real hard hits as well. As far as our guys getting fined for it and not the black guys, yes, it's "unfair," but then again, as we all know quite well, life is unfair. Our time is coming.

Take care Colonel_Reb and have a good afternoon.

Tom Iron...

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
I don't think it was a "clean" hit. He lead with his helmet high enough to hit the other guys helmet, that, by definition is a "head shot" and he should be punished for it by the leagues own rules.

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
Although I don't like to see one of our players decked like that, especially probably my favorite player in the league, Danny Woodhead, I am not a fan of the rules. It was a blind-side de-cleater his where the blocker/hitter was coming in at eye level. His pads and front of helmet/facemask hit Danny square-on. An old textbook hit, his head didn't drop to "spear" or anything like that. That's why I say it was a clean hit. Of course, by that definition, the hit on Ochostinko was also clean, but they have rules to protect "helpless receivers" or whatever, while special teams pursuers have no such protection.

I was decked a few times like that, and administered plenty of similar hits. It's football.

JReb1

Mentor
DW looked great last night! Danny reminds me of Dunn (similar size, style and talent) but faster and more powerful. Like Dunn, Danny could carry a full load (with a ridiculously high YPC IMO) if he's ever given a chance.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Colonel_Reb,

Sir, I'm sure you're correct as to how hard Woodhead was hit, but let's not fall into the same whining attitude of blacks. However hard White guys get hit is just what they have to deal with. As long as it's clean hit, I've got no problem with it. I'm sure our guys get out there and deliver real hard hits as well. As far as our guys getting fined for it and not the black guys, yes, it's "unfair," but then again, as we all know quite well, life is unfair. Our time is coming.

Take care Colonel_Reb and have a good afternoon.

Tom Iron...

Tom, I appreciate the concern, but think you may have took what I wrote the wrong way. I'm stating the facts as I see them, nothing more. I agree with you that our time is going to come, and I believe it may get here even sooner if we keep pointing out the double standards and exposing the system for the farce that it is.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
50/50 on whether clean or dirty. A blindside block like that is akin to a big KO punch via a HW.

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
As one of the return guys, I loved to administer those type of hits when my back-deep teammate got the ball on a return. The gunners were always so focused on the returner that it was great sport to light them up. Danny knows the deal, he's been playing since he was a kid, I'm sure he's had his share of collisions like that. He'll be fine, I look forward to seeing him and his 12+ yards-a-carry in the next game against the woeful Lions.

Last edited:

foobar75

Master
I don't have much of a problem with the hit. The scrub who delivered it is trying to make the team, so he was doing his best to make an impression.

My problem is with Belichik, and what an idiotic decision it is to let Woodhead play special teams, especially in the 4th quarter of a meaningless pre-season game. To the best of my knowledge, the only time a starter (defense or offense) plays special teams is when someone is hurt, and you need to fill in. Danny is a valuable part of this offense, he's likely to get double digit touches each game and play a critical role in many different packages. It's criminal to risk injury to a player like that by playing him in ST.

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
I don't have much of a problem with the hit. The scrub who delivered it is trying to make the team, so he was doing his best to make an impression.

My problem is with Belichik, and what an idiotic decision it is to let Woodhead play special teams, especially in the 4th quarter of a meaningless pre-season game. To the best of my knowledge, the only time a starter (defense or offense) plays special teams is when someone is hurt, and you need to fill in. Danny is a valuable part of this offense, he's likely to get double digit touches each game and play a critical role in many different packages. It's criminal to risk injury to a player like that by playing him in ST.
We all concur and agree with this assessment. I hear that Jake Sharp is available and would happily agree to take Danny's place as a WSTD, with no drop-off in productivity. Someone send a memo to Bill Belichick.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
We all concur and agree with this assessment. I hear that Jake Sharp is available and would happily agree to take Danny's place as a WSTD, with no drop-off in productivity. Someone send a memo to Bill Belichick.

Ditto! Belichick proves he isn't the genius he is sometimes proclaimed to be when he does things like this.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
At least Belichick was asked why Woodhead was still in the game:

Ian Rapoport of the Boston Herald writes that when asked about the fact he still had Danny Woodhead in the game during the 4th quarter when Woodhead was involved in a helmet-to-helmet collision covering a punt return, Belichick said all players need to be ready to play ’60 Minutes’.

“When we go into any game, all players are told to be ready to play the entire 60 minutes,” Belichick said. “That’s what a game is. We don’t stop playing. We don’t stop coaching. Everybody’s ready to play the whole time from beginning to end. That’s every player and every coach. That’s part of the game. That’s how we approach them all.”

Rich Garven of the Worcester Telegram wonders if Woodhead suffered another concussion during the play, and writes that Belichick – as usual – didn’t have any updates yesterday.

“No, I don’t have any updates,” Belichick said. “We got in pretty late last night and we’ve been scrambling around today trying to get caught up on the film and all those kind of things. So we’ll know how they are when they come back in tomorrow.

“It usually takes 24 to 48 hours to sort things out, and even then it becomes a day-to-day thing from there. So I don’t really have any updates. Hopefully, they’ll be back sooner rather than later.”

http://www.patsfans.com/ian/blog/2011/08/20/saturdays-new-england-patriots-links-820/

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
"every player" huh? I have to call BS on that because (correct me if I'm wrong) Randy Moss never regularly played a position like that on special teams, let alone late in a pre-season game. I don't like these incidents at all. Besides making people question Belichick's coaching, I can't help but wonder about other aspects of the man. If he is seriously thinking this is iron-man football in the 1940s, he's delusional at best. I just don't like anything about this.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
I recall a commentator mentioning during a Patriots broadcast, that the Patriots are one of the few teams in the league where some of the KEY offensive and defensive players are expected to play special teams.

Woodhead is very fast, strong and built like a rock. Therefore using him as a gunner on special teams might make sense. Of course it would probably be smarter for BB to use another fast player like Brandon Tate, or Taylor Price or Julian Edelman who both probably just make the cut for having the speed for that role- since they aren't as crucial offensive weapons at this point.

Of course it also would be smart if BB had the guys on the bubble for a roster spot or practice squad spot playing that role in the 4th quarter OF A PREASON GAME!!! WTF! That would MAKE SENSE.

The good thing is if Woodhead did have a 2nd concussion it was another very minor one. He didn't black out, he walked off the field without help within 10 or 15 seconds of the hit- and was smiling and chatting on the sideline a minute later (seeming completely coherent).

Westside

Hall of Famer
"IF" those recent high drafted running backs were also on special teams along with Woody, then I will chaulk this up as a major laspe in judgement on the part of the coaching staff and BB. However, if those two affelets were on the side lines shucking and jiving and watching Danny run full speed on the special teams in the 4th quater on a pre season game, then the caste devils have reared their heads and business as usaul. At this point don't know yet. Does any one know for certain if those two affeletic drafted RBs were along on special teams in the 4th quater and in a friggen pre season game?

Last edited:

dwid

Hall of Famer
Woodhead has been mia because of an ankle injury. He limited this week but a good chance he will play. Hopefully he gets a decent number of carries. Lawfirm didn't practice on Thursday because of a toe injury, but one report said he was dealing with a knee injury?

Hopefully Woodhead can get some more snaps because of Lawfirm's injuries, even though he has been limited himself, he has actually practiced every day of the week.

Last edited:

Kaptain

Master
[h=1]Rex says he made right call in cutting Woodhead[/h]

October 8, 2011, 9:06 am
curran_insider_bylines.png

Last season, after a pitiful offensive performance in their season opener, the Jets re-signed wide receiver David Clowney. To make room for him, they released Danny Woodhead.The Patriots snapped Woodhead up and he went on to be a key player in New England's 14-2 season.
On Friday, Ryan tried to spin that regrettable decision by saying that the running back they kept instead of Woodhead - Joe McKnight - will ultimately be a better player than Woodhead.
"Quite honestly, there's a reason we kept him instead of Danny Woodhead," Ryan told the New York media on Friday. "Danny Woodhead's a great back and done great things in New England, but [McKnight's] ceiling is about as high as it gets."
In the next breath, Ryan suggested that - while McKnight's ceiling is high - the Jets don't even know which room to put him in.
"I think he's got a chance to be one heck of a player," Ryan said. "It may be as a corner, but he can play."
McKnight, a second-year player from USC whom New York took with a fourth-round pick, has carried 6 times for 14 yards this season, and 45 times for 203 yards in his career.
Woodhead - undrafted and signed by the Jets in 2009 - accounted for 926 yards from scrimmage and six touchdowns in 2010. He's got 32 touches for 156 yards so far this year.
McKnight scored his first NFL touchdown last week against the Ravens on a 107-yard kickoff return. He also has a blocked punt for the Jets this week. Good special teams player.
And Clowney, the guy that Woodhead was released to make room for? He had one catch for the Jets last year after they brought him back.

Attachments

• woodhead.jpg
    woodhead.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 1