Brian Leonard 23

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
As far as my analysis of Leonard I certainly don't think he stinks. I originally thought he was the second best RB in the draft, now I think he is third best, behind Mershawn Lynch, after looking into it more . I just think Shaw would have been a better RB from watching clips of him, from H.S in Michigan, I would compare Shaw's running style to Lynch. I also wonder if Tre Smith or Dan Burks would be more productive if they got the chance, both of them were phenomenal athletes too, but were jyped of their chance. Just a thought that's all.

Don Wassall said:
I see discrepancies often when it comes to the way the corporate media reports 40 times. Sometimes a time will be listed that's .2 seconds or more off.

I attribute a lot of it to sloppiness and incompetence, along with dumbed down "reporters." As an editor, I'm always looking for factual errors, straw men arguments, mis-spellings, typos, etc., in anything I read, and believe me there's a continual increase in all of the above and much more.

So much of the "news" and "entertainment" industries today, and that includes sports as well, consists of pseudo-clever, smirking, facile pap, along with various diversions and dead-ends. A very large portion is deliberate lies promoted as truths that no one is allowed to challenge without penalty.

We're bombarded with information, but very little of it is valuable, even less thought-provoking or profound.

The key is to find the valuable nuggets that aren't just skin deep. Better yet, be able to contribute them yourself for others to appreciate.

"Pseudo-clever, smirking, facile pap" is accurate. It seems that for some time there has been a trend toward "smart aleck" journalism more for the purpose of the journalistdemonstrating how "edgy'" he is than for delivering accurate information. And, it seems that a convenient target is the white person. In sports it's "white men can't jump"and other such baloney and, in non-sports reporting, the use of the phrase "dead white men". The latter, apparently, used to disparage the accomplishments of great men of history who apparently were great only because they had oppressed everyone else.

White Mike

Guru
Today on Path to the Draft, their "On the Clock" series featured the Eagles. Moyack again gave Brian Leonard praise, saying something like, "a lot of people dismiss Brian as a west coast FB, I don't see that. I see him as a tail back, with better hands than any RB in the draft."
smiley32.gif
He also liked the additon of Kevin Curtis, how it gave em a deep threat.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Cool, it sounds like Mayock is a sports media guy we need to clone. I've never seen the guy, but it sounds like he is fair, which is how it should be.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I've givenMayock credit when it comes to Leonard, but that's the only real deviation from Caste System orthodoxy I'venoticed from watching him the past several years. Other than that he'd fit in just fine with any of the "expert" draft and recruiting services that do so much harm to the aspirations and opportunities of capable white players. Here'sMayock's Top 64. Leonard is only #51. Weddle (listed as a safety) is #60. Paul Posluszny is #39, Greg Olson #25. Not much to cheer for here other than Adam Carricker at #8:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/10121765Edited by: Don Wassall

White Mike

Guru
By John Oehser - Colts.com

Leonard of Rutgers Projected as Top Available Fullback
INDIANAPOLIS - These days, Brian Leonard figures he can't control the future.
Whatever happens in the coming weeks, happens.

He can't control the opinions or assessments of others, and certainly can't control where he is on teams' draft boards.

Or even his position there.

Leonard, who played collegiately at Rutgers University, is projected to be selected somewhere in the second round of the 2007 NFL Draft, which will be held April 28-29 at Radio City Music Hall in New York City.

But just what he will play after that is less clear.

Some NFL teams project Leonard him as a running back, a feature back perhaps capable of being a primary option on first, second and third downs. Others project him as a fullback, primarily a blocker.

Leonard played the second role this past season.

Just where he will play next season he doesn't yet know, but he does know where he believes he's best-suited.

"If a team needs me to be a straight-ahead blocking fullback, then that's what I'll do," Leonard said recently. "I don't feel that using me that way would be getting the best out of me, but if the team wants me to do that, I'll do it. I'm all about helping a team win.

"All I care about is helping a team win and I'll do whatever it takes to help them."

That's what Leonard did this past season, and he did it playing what for him was an unfamiliar role.

Leonard, after three seasons as Rutgers' primary running back, began the season being promoted as a Heisman Trophy candidate, having rushed for 2,252 yards and 27 touchdowns during his first three collegiate seasons.

Instead, he opted to play fullback as a senior. He played near 240 pounds, and blocked for Ray Rice, who rushed for 1,794 yards and 20 touchdowns as the Scarlet Knights surprised many around the nation with an 11-2 record.

Leonard, in a reduced running role, rushed for 423 yards and five touchdowns on 93 carries, and also caught 38 passes for 294 yards.

"It made it a lot easier for me because Ray Rice is not just a heck of a running back, he's

also a heck of a guy," Leonard said. "Yes, I was the star running back for three years, but I embraced my role as the fullback. Making a block for Ray felt just as good as scoring an 80-yard touchdown."

It was Leonard's versatility that helped him become one of the nation's most productive all-around backs in his first three seasons at Rutgers.

During those three seasons, he caught 169 passes for 1,574 yards and 13 touchdowns.

"I think I'm at my best when I get out in the flat, get the ball in my hands and make

some people miss," Leonard said. "But again, if the team wants me to be a straight-ahead blocking fullback, I'll do it to the best of my ability.

"I'll go anywhere and do anything they want me to do. I think I'm very versatile.

I really don't think there are any limits on my game."

Getting fewer carries this past season may have prepared Leonard for the NFL. Many teams

in the NFL are currently using multiple backs, as the Colts did en route to winning Super Bowl XLI this past season with veteran Dominic Rhodes and rookie Joseph Addai sharing the role much of the season. Also, Leonard said the two-back system helped reduce the physical toll he received his first three seasons.

And while Leonard said he admires Tampa Bay Buccaneers fullback Mike Alstott, he said, "I'm more versatile."

"I think I'm the kind of player that can stay on the field from first to fourth down," Leonard said. "I can run the ball, catch it, block and pass block. Whatever they need me to do. I think I'm able to handle a full workload."

Leonard thought that was the case a year ago, too - thought it seriously enough to consider applying for the NFL Draft. Although he likely would have been a first-day selection at the time, he opted to return for a final season, one that became one of the most successful in Rutgers history, one in which the Scarlet Knights emerged as a national power.

And while Leonard didn't play the same role in that season as he previously had, doing so was his choice, a choice he said he very much does not regret.

"I was coming off three straight good years, so I definitely thought about it," Leonard said. "I sent for some information from the NFL and they told me I'd be a first-day draft pick.

I talked over with my family and others and they all told me to follow my heart. I stayed and

I have no regrets.

"I didn't carry the ball as much this year, but I don't think it hurt my draft status at all."

Breaking Down the Top Fullbacks

As often is the case in the NFL Draft, fullbacks aren't expected to be an often-drafted commodity, particularly early. Some teams have reduced the emphasis on the position in recent seasons. The Colts, for example, haven't carried a true, "blocking" fullback since Jim Finn from 2000-2002. This season, Brian Leonard of Rutgers is projected as a second-round selection, but he also is considered a running back by many teams, having played as a feature back during his first three college seasons. The rest of the fullback class is expected to feature mostly fifth-through-seventh round selections, with Cory Anderson of Tennessee and Jason Snelling of Virginia considered by many the top pure fullbacks available.

a-train

Guru
ToughJ.Riggins said:
As far as my analysis of Leonard I certainly don't think he stinks. I originally thought he was the second best RB in the draft, now I think he is third best, behind Mershawn Lynch, after looking into it more . I just think Shaw would have been a better RB from watching clips of him, from H.S in Michigan, I would compare Shaw's running style to Lynch. I also wonder if Tre Smith or Dan Burks would be more productive if they got the chance, both of them were phenomenal athletes too, but were jyped of their chance. Just a thought that's all.
Tre Smith never got his shot but Burks got just as much shot as Leonard never the Feature Back but he did get a decent amount of carries were Burks OR Leonard didn't get a fair chance is them same SEC Schools want recruit white players at skill poisitons or if they do like in Smith case they will never give you a chance.See the promblem is whites will not stick together and if we are ever goint to beat the caste system then i don't care if you like Leonard or not always say good things about him when you are talking to other whites or blacks.

Well WM, it sure looks like that article and Leonards own comments have pretty much much caste him as an FB. I think he is screwed. He has pretty much capitulated to the caste system, with his "I just want to help some team win" BS.

Leonard has bowed down, friends. I will be supremely surprised if hasn't bulked back up to 240-250 by this time next year and spends the bulk of his plays on special teams and short yardage blocking or pass protection. Guess we can start calling him Rob Konrad Jr.

backrow

Hall of Famer
Animalmuther0 said:
Well WM, it sure looks like that article and Leonards own comments have pretty much much caste him as an FB. I think he is screwed. He has pretty much capitulated to the caste system, with his "I just want to help some team win" BS.

Leonard has bowed down, friends. I will be supremely surprised if hasn't bulked back up to 240-250 by this time next year and spends the bulk of his plays on special teams and short yardage blocking or pass protection. Guess we can start calling him Rob Konrad Jr.

he was always a team player, too much so for his own good. but he also went on the record repeatedly saying he wants to be a runningback, so i don't think he bowed down or anything like that. time will tell, but i am fairly optimistic about his chances to be more than a modern day fullback

White Mike

Guru
backrow said:
Animalmuther0 said:
Well WM, it sure looks like that article and Leonards own comments have pretty much much caste him as an FB. I think he is screwed. He has pretty much capitulated to the caste system, with his "I just want to help some team win" BS. Leonard has bowed down, friends. I will be supremely surprised if hasn't bulked back up to 240-250 by this time next year and spends the bulk of his plays on special teams and short yardage blocking or pass protection. Guess we can start calling him Rob Konrad Jr.

he was always a team player, too much so for his own good. but he also went on the record repeatedly saying he wants to be a runningback, so i don't think he bowed down or anything like that. time will tell, but i am fairly optimistic about his chances to be more than a modern day fullback

White's are always more willing to "take one for the team" more often than blacks. Imagine if they told Tony Hunt to move to defense and take a back seat to Shaw. He certainly wouldn't of stayed at Penn State, IMO.

White Mike

Guru
I've been looking to see what teams (if any) invited Leonard to private workouts, the only one I've found so far is the Rams. They are looking for a back up for Jackson in a 1-2-punch tandem, much like the Cowboys. I'ld hate to see Brian Leonard be a back up, but I would mind if he had numbers like Marion Barber did last year (654 yds 14 tds).

Here is a great Brian Leonard article from USA Today.
Quotes:

"I am totally frustrated by all of the people trying to tell me he has to play fullback," says Mike Mayock, the NFL Network's draft analyst. "I've watched a bunch of tape, and to me he's an NFL tailback."

'LEONARD LEAP'

"The first time I did it, I thought about it. 'These guys keep tackling me at my toes. I've got to do something about it. Why don't I jump over them?' " he says..."I've had a couple of people say something to me like, 'Why did you do that to me, man? Why did you make me look stupid?' " Leonard says.

Great article. It also goes into detail about why he chose Rutgers, his brother's injury, etc. A must read. The only downside is that they have him listed as running a 4.55 40. There is a link to email them about corrections so I sent them a letter as well as links to his times off NFL.com, you guys should do the same. Here's the editior's email

edit: Brian is on the front page of the USA Today
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
. This is HUGE!!!!!!!!!
smiley4.gif
smiley4.gif
smiley4.gif
Edited by: White Mike

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I just sent my correction in. Now I'll have to check out the USA Today.

guest301

Hall of Famer
I will have to buy the USA Today just to read that article on Leonard. It is awesome news. Hope it translates into him becoming a late first or early second round draft pick.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
The article also shows that he has the confidence in himself to be a RB and not just a FB. I guess those on this board who have said Leonard has already conceded to being a fullback spoke to soon.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Surprisingly good article, and many of the comments are suprisingly good as well. I think we're making progress in changing attitudes about white athletes!

jared

Mentor
I only wish he had spent more than 2 sentences addressing the racial funneling that goes on. He mainly just spent the article talking about the history of white runners in the NFL. Oh well, at least he had the balls to bring the topic up. I sent an email telling him as much.

backrow

Hall of Famer
from the article:

"In the 1960s and 1970s, black quarterbacks were often told to move to other positions if they wanted a chance to play. Who knows how many potentially great quarterbacks were lost in that stupidity.

Now some 40 years after those mistakes, are teams making them again when it comes to white running backs? We're talking about high schools moving them to other positions, therefore never letting them get the chance to play running back on the next level, which means never making it to the NFL.

The last white running back to lead the NFL in rushing was Jim Taylor of the Green Bay Packers in 1962. Taylor, by the way, was a fullback.

Brian Leonard hopes to someday change that. "

Gi-15

Mentor
oh yeah, I was waiting for something like that from prisco, for a looooong time, ever since he did that article on how there was only one black center. now the balance is even. I wonder if him and judge had a meeting ealier this week and said " lets push those white kids some" lol, two article on our caste busters in the same week, just great!
smiley4.gif

Gi-15

Mentor
you guys seen the messageboard of this article?!? Great passion there! guys defending white cause, and dumbasses trying to downplay the facts... classic...

Quiet Speed

Mentor
There is a thread on a Saints forum dedicated to Pete's article. A few posts are reasonable. Maybe there's a poster from Caste Football doing good work over there. Someone had the gumption to post a link to a Sam McGuffie video.
smiley1.gif

http://www.saintsreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26173Edited by: Quiet Speed