Arkansas High School football

Riddlewire

Master
Colonel_Reb said:
BTW, who won the game between the black and white teams?

The mostly white team, Batesville. 36-20.
It's a very old and heated rivalry. At one point Newport won 24 years in a row. Declining enrollment forced them to drop in classification several years back and Batesville has won a greater share of the games since then.
Back when I was in high school, it would've been all-white vs mostly-white. But Newport traded its soul for the myth of black athleticism. Now they have a town that is 75% white and a football team that is 90% black. They also haven't won a championship since I graduated high school.

hawkeye

Guru
Another good Arkansas prospect that I don't see up here is Brishen Mathews. I'm pretty sure he is white. He was ranked the number 31 safety by rivals. He should be ranked lower. He is 6'1 190 and ran a 4.49 forty. Mississippi has expressed interest in him.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Riddlewire, I'm sorry about your school. The crazy thing about such changes is, the dumb coaches never think to put 2 and 2 together and realize their blacks are helping them lose more. Many high schools similar to yours have gone black with their football teams over the years, but most of them get worse as a result. Oh the strangeness of the caste system and the big lie!

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
hawkeye said:
Another good Arkansas prospect that I don't see up here is Brishen Mathews. I'm pretty sure he is white. He was ranked the number 31 safety by rivals. He should be ranked lower. He is 6'1 190 and ran a 4.49 forty. Mississippi has expressed interest in him.

hawkeye, welcome to Caste Football! New Miss hasn't had a starting white safety since Billy Brewer was coach. We'll see if they offer him a scholarship and/or try to get him to make a position change.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
hawkeye said:

good call hawkeye, and welcome to Caste Football!
smiley1.gif

Brishen Mathews is a White athlete. he is very fast, and very good. additionally, he has dominated at several combines but is still only a 3-star prospect by Rivals though ... interesting, huh?

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
once again, virtually all of Arkansas' top wide receiver prospects are White kids. but "somehow" it's the black ones who are getting offered Division One scholarships ... here are just a handful of the big play guys:

Spencer Harris from Greenwood, likely the state's top wide receiver, has 17 catches for 387 yards and 6 touchdowns in three games.

Michael Heintzman from Fayetteville High has 18 catches for411 yards and5 touchdowns in 3 games.

Blake Fogg from Springdale High has13 catches for 334 yards and3 touchdowns in 3 games.

Rogers Heritage has two very fast, but small (5-6 or 5-9) wideouts. Travis Entwisle has 10 catches for 233 yards and 4 touchdowns, and teammate Jordan Snoderly has 10 catches for 198 yards and 4 touchdowns. they've played 3 games.

in two games, Graham Parker from Rogers High has 12 catches for 235 yards and 4 touchdowns.

also in two games, Garrett Lamb from Pulaski Academy has 19 catches for 285 yards and 5 touchdowns. Zac Reyna, also from PA, has 24 catches for 387 yards and 1 touchdown.

the top quarterbacks in the state are also White, and are putting up some HUGE numbers, led by the junior class' Reed Brown of Rogers-Heritage who has thrown 14 touchdowns and 0 interceptions, and highly touted D-I recruit Brandon Allen from Fayetteville. Allen threw for 304 yards and ran for 123 more (on 14 carries) for 3 total touchdowns last week.

senior Wil Nicks from Pulaski Academy has thrown for 1,113 yards and 11 touchdowns (to 3 interceptions) in two games.

there are a lot of talented White cats in the state, but very, very few are getting any notice.Edited by: Jimmy Chitwood

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
i should add that all of the receivers i mentioned above play in the state's largest classification (7A), with the exception of the Pulaski Academy duo who play in the third largest (5A).

the only wideout i've mentioned who has received a scholarship offer to play anywhere is Spencer Harris ... to lowly Missouri State and Central Arkansas.
smiley5.gif

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
two weeks ago, Spencer Harris had 8 catches for 179 yards and 4 touchdowns ... in the first half.
smiley3.gif
smiley32.gif
needless to say, his team won in a rout and he sat the second half.

this past week, Greenwood's opponent decided to drop 8 men into coverage all game long.
smiley36.gif
now THAT is respect!
smiley2.gif

they still lost, but they managed to hold Harris to 3 catches for 24 yards as the Bulldogs stuck with their ground game against a 3-man rush. heh.

Riddlewire

Master
You're talking about the Greenbrier game, right?
I tried to find footage or statistics from that game, but was mostly unsuccessful.
I had been following Greenbrier RB Hunter Winston, who was one of the leading rushers in the state, prior to that matchup with Greenwood. A different RB led Greenbrier in rushing, so I was wondering if Winston was hurt. I can't find any mention of it, and the FearlessFriday boards were no help.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
yes, sir. it was the Greenbrier game.

and i will try to keep an eye out for young Mr. Hunter Winston, too.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
the state's receptions leader is a White kid, and the receiving yardage leader is another White kid. yet, despite the vast majority of the state's best receivers being White, so far not a single White receiver has been offered a Division I scholarship this year. no surprise there.
the state's best receiver, (Class 5A) Greenwood's Spencer Harris leads the state with 727 yards AND 12 receiving touchdowns on just 35 catches, for a whopping 20.8 yards-per-catch average. at 6-3, and fast, you'd think teams would be all over this kid since defensive backs can't get near him ...

(Class 5A) Pulaski Academy's vaunted aerial attack has 2 of the state's top-3 receptions leaders. juniors Zac Reyna, the state's leader with 44 catches, and Garrett Lamb, number 3 in the state with 38 catches, have been impossible to stop thus far this season. Reyna has 686 yards and 2 touchdowns, while Lamb has 484 yards and 6 touchdowns through 5 games.

(Class 7A) Fayetteville's Michael Heintzmann continues to dominate. in addition to his rushing and kick return yardage, the 5-10 senior with 4.4 speed has 33 catches for 574 yards and 7 touchdowns in 6 games, but the media continues its love affair with lard-butt teammate Demetrius Dean. take the following blurb from a game two weeks ago as a bit of evidence:
Led by huge performances from receiver Demetrius Dean and quarterback Brandon Allen, the Purple'Dogs combined for 558 yards of total offense in a 50-49 victory against Springdale High.

in that game, Dean had 10 catches for 91 yards and 2 touchdowns. certainly, it was a good game. but Heintzmann had 6 catches for 130 yards and 2 touchdowns AND he rushed for another touchdown. so who had the bigger day? the fat, black receiver, of course!

Brandon Allen is an impressive talent at quarterback for Fayetteville, to be sure. he threw for 464 yards and 4 touchdowns in that game on 32-56 passing, and he ran for another 49 yards and a touchdown.

(Class 7A) Van Buren's Drew White, a 6-3 junior with 4.5 speed, has 30 catches for 440 yards and 5 touchdowns in just 4 games.

Blake Fogg, a 6-2 senior with 4.5 speed from Springdale High (Class 7A), has 24 catches for 581 yards and 4 touchdowns in 6 games.

Rogers Heritage has added a third speedster to their dangerous duo of very fast, but small (5-6 or 5-9) wideouts. the coaching staff had decided to keep Grant Driver, an All-State wideout last year, strictly at cornerback ... but that only lasted a couple of weeks. the muscular 5-8 senior with 4.5 speed has again exploded on offense, while still playing at a high level in the secondary. since moving back to wideout, Driver has compiled 32 catches for 491 yards and 5 touchdowns. Travis Entwisle, the "biggest" of the three, has used his 4.5 speed to snare 30 catches for 468 yards and 5 touchdowns. the third amigo, teammate Jordan Snoderly, is the smallest but fastest. his 4.4 speed has earned him 17 catches for 288 yards and 5 touchdowns, but hehas been hurt and missed a lot of action. Heritage has played 6 games, though only Entwisle has suited up for all of them.

also in 6 games, Graham Parker from Rogers High has 28 catches for 425 yards and 6 touchdowns.

a small school story to keep an eye on ... Zach Combs, a 6-5 senior from Harrisburg (Class 3A), decided to play football his senior year and has become a big-time playmaker. in his first year playing on the gridiron, he ranks among statewide leaders in receptions and receiving yards with 26 catches for 350 yards and 3 touchdowns in 5 games. until this year, he was a basketball player.

--- on a side note, the very gifted junior running back/wide receiver Garrett Harper (Shiloh Christian, Class 4A) is still out with an injury. Edited by: Jimmy Chitwood

Riddlewire

Master
Jimmy Chitwood said:
a small school story to keep an eye on ... Zach Combs, a 6-5 senior from Harrisburg (Class 3A), decided to play football his senior year and has become a big-time playmaker. in his first year playing on the gridiron, he ranks among statewide leaders in receptions and receiving yards with 26 catches for 350 yards and 3 touchdowns in 5 games. until this year, he was a basketball player.

I assume you only mentioned Combs because he's the one with the D1A size. But he's probably only the third best player on his team.
Fellow senior, all conference receiver (55c,830yds,13TD last year) Jake Streeter is only 5'9, but he's a tremendous talent. Streeter has 24 catches on the year for 661 yards (27.5yd avg) and 7TD. It's unlikely that he'll have the opportunity to play WR in college, though, for obvious reasons.
Harrisburg's best player is possibly the best Quarterback in the state. Junior Zach Davis finished second to Kiehl Frazier in the ARK Top Gun QB competition, despite only have 3A-level coaching and defenses to play against. Last year, Zach completed 68% of his passes for 3,100 yards and 38TD. This season, Zach is on a similar pace at 101 for 166 passing for 1,813 yards and 15TD at the halfway point of the season.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Dueling Arkansans, CF style. I love it! Great info, gentlemen!

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
good points, Riddlewire. Streeter would likely project to be a cornerback or slot receiver at the next level, because he has really impressive speed and agility... if he were black, of course. because the "experts" all agree that a White kid, no matter how fast or agile,can't be a cornerback. *vomit* and honestly, i didn't realize Streeter had those kind of numbers this year, though. that is awesome! where did you find the stats for their team? i wish i could see some video of him, too.

i didn't know about Davis, though. my personal favorite quarterback in the state is Reed Brown from Rogers-Heritage. he's only 5-10, but he was the best quarterback at Tulsa's seniors camp ... as a freshman. he's a junior now, and hehas thrown 19 touchdowns to just 2 interceptions while passing for over 1,500 yards so farthis season. oh, and he's completing over 65% of his passes, too. the kid has a GREAT arm.

just as importantly ...never hesitate to add players that i miss, man. my knowledge of the state's top players certainly isn't encyclopedic.
smiley1.gif
Edited by: Jimmy Chitwood

Riddlewire

Master
Jimmy Chitwood said:
where did you find the stats for their team?
Various sources, with luck.
The ArDemGaz publishes statewide stats (whenever the hell they feel like it). I happened to have the Week 4 edition sitting here. It's not complete, of course. Not all high school coaches send in their statistics. But that particular paper had numbers for Combs, Streeter, and Davis in it. After that, I had to look up the schedule to see Harrisburg's next two games. Inputting ("Harrisburg" "Manila" "55-14") into Google gave me articles from local newspaper articles. One of those will usually publish stats from the game. So adding up those numbers results in current statistics. For last year's stats, I have my Northeast Arkansas High School Football Preview, which is published annually by the Jonesboro Sun. It gives rosters, height and weight (and sometimes 40 times), for the upcoming season, as well as a small preview. It had the numbers for Davis and Streeter from last season.
I'll see if I can find any video of Harrisburg.

Since I'm on the subject, and I have all this stuff in front of me already (and since you asked), I'll throw out one NEA prospect.

Tyler Engleman of Cave City, SR RB, 6'0" 190lbs.
tengz.jpg

2008: 1,380yds 18TD
2009: 97c 975yds 10.05ypc 11TD (through 6 games)
His coach (who I went to high school with) tries really hard to promote his players, including Tyler. But the only one that the Razorbacks and Red Wolves are interested in is Thamail Morgan, the transfer from Newport (I went to school with his daddy). I'm completely certain that Tyler will never play college football. He just has that unfortunate skin disease, as well as playing in the Siberia of high school football (small schools in northeast Arkansas get ZERO recruiting attention).

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
that's great info, Riddlewire. keep it up!
smiley32.gif
now here's another speedster who is getting completely ignored because of his debilitating skin disease ...
michaelcroasdellgravette.jpg

senior Michael Croasdell (Gravette - 4A), a state champion in the 100 meters as a sophomore and the state champion in the long jump last year (he placed third in the 100 meters) has emerged as a big play tailback, despite it being his first year as a starter at the position. he's spent most of his high school career making plays as a cornerback, where he still shines and plays every snap. here are some recent news items on the speedster.

GRAVETTE â€" Michael Croasdell didn't have his best game on Friday night.

That's saying something, considering the Gravette senior scored three touchdowns and had a pair of interceptions in the Lions 28-19 win over Huntsville. The win keeps Gravette unbeaten at 6-0 overall, 3-0 in the 4A-1 Conference. It's a remarkable achievement given the graduation of All-State players Ethan McKinzie and Teddy Selby from last season and the loss of Casey Russell, who died last month from a staph infection.

On Friday, Croasdell â€" Gravette's leading rusher this season â€" had just 46 yards on 16 carries, including a lost fumble, against the Eagles (2-4, 1-2). He more than made up for the limited yardage by scoring three first-half touchdowns as the Lions built a 21-7 halftime lead.

Croasdell also had an interception in the first half, and he added his second on Huntsville's final drive in the closing minutes to secure the win.

"He ran the ball hard tonight and had two interceptions on defense," Harrelson said. "I'm sure he was upset with himself on that fumble, and rightly so. But Michael has just done a great job.

"He had a huge night."

on the night, Croasdell had a 28-yard touchdown catch (one of his two catches for 63 yards), a 1-yard touchdown run and a 21-yard touchdown run along with his 2 interceptions.

here's a nice profile on Michael.

Croasdell filling the void for Gravette
Posted on 06 October, 2009

GRAVETTE â€" In August, Gravette coach Bill Harrelson wondered what Lions players would step up and fill the void left by the graduation of quarterback Ethan McKinzie and running back Teddy Selby.

McKinzie accounted for more than 5,000 yards of offense in his three seasons in a Gravette uniform while Selby rushed for almost 1,300 yards a year ago.

Harrelson, however, dropped a big hint when he said expected senior Michael Croasdell to eclipse the 1,000-yard rushing mark and then some.

So far, Croasdell hasn't disappointed Harrelson or his teammates as the 5-foot-10, 175-pound speedster has carried 94 times for 676 yards and seven touchdowns for 5-0 Gravette.

But what has impressed Harrelson the most is that Croasdell has been effective inside and outside. Breaking long runs wasn't a big concern for Harrelson as Croasdell has been clocked at 4.5 in the 40 and he won the Class 4A 100-meter dash last spring.

"We knew he could out-run people," Harrelson said.

But Croasdell can also run over people and last week was a case in point. With Gravette trailing rival Gentry 14-7, Croasdell followed fullback Travis Eden through the left side of the Pioneers defense and didn't stop until he reached the end zone 83 yards later.

Gravette would go on to win the game 30-17 to move to 2-0 in the 4A-1 Conference.

"I'm really impressed with the way he is running it up inside," Harrelson said. "He is showing tremendous toughness carrying the ball 20, 25 times a game. Just an unbelievable job showing some moves he hasn't shown before."

Croasdell said it was difficult sitting on the sidelines the past two seasons when the Lions had the ball.

"It was tough because I wanted to run a lot more than I got to," Croasdell said. "I did get to get in quite a bit and it was fun to run behind Teddy because he is a good friend of mine."

Harrelson saw Croasdell's potential coming out of junior high but knew there wouldn't be a whole of carries to go around with Selby as the Lions' bell cow. Croasdell was also a starter in the Lions secondary, as he is this season, in 2008 and that limited his junior varsity carries because Harrelson couldn't risk Croasdell getting hurt.

"Michael never got a chance to get many carries and Michael is just now learning how to run the football again," Harrelson said. "He is really running it tough inside."

Croasdell said learning to find the holes opened up by the Lions' offensive line has been the biggest obstacle in regaining his running form.

"I had a hard time with my vision, seeing the hole and seeing what people are going to do," Croasdell said. "But things are going better because our offensive line is real good this year. I'm very proud of our offensive line because we have had some people step up."

in 6 games, Croasdell has rushed for 722 yards and 9 touchdowns on 110 carries. he is also a big-play threat in the passing game and is a shutdown corner, but i couldn't find any stats on those areas.
michaelcroasdellpose.jpg

Michael Croasdell ... perhaps he's wondering what it takes for a White kid to get a scholarship.

Riddlewire

Master
Here's a different kind of example which illustrates the difficulties for many of our athletes in Northeast Arkansas.

This is John Wilbanks of 3A Manila.
1272939h.jpg

SR WR/RB/DB
6'5", 170lbs, 4.4 40
John has very little offensive production on the season (though he did run for 109 yards in one game). The problem is that Manila is just a terrible football program. Their only victory is over 2A Rector. They only have ~20 players. They have no football tradition to speak of (They only started varsity fb last year, which means the seniors didn't play any football at all as sophomores).
Now imagine if he had been born in Fort Smith or Springdale. With his combination of size and speed, he'd be a highly sought after prospect. Instead, he might as well be living in a black hole. I bet 99% of Arkansans have no idea where Manila is, assuming they've even heard of it.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
No doubt, white public or private schools players in rural areas are at a disadvantage more so than any other group. My high school football team had just started up the year before I played there. There were some really good players on the team those first few years, but because we lost a lot of games the first couple of seasons, and because we were a small school, nobody was recruited at any level. I know JC has some valuable experiences that can shed more light on the plight of white, small school rural players in Arkansas (and white players in general) when it comes to being recruited by the U of A.

By the way, thanks to Dave Brown, I know where Manila is.
smiley36.gif

Good post, Riddlewire! These stories need to be told.

STUNNA

All these players you mentioned are playing against other white competition. They dont do very good when they are playing teams from the south.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
STUNNA, read the original post in this thread. White teams routinely beat black teams in every state, not just Arkansas. It happens all the time.

STUNNA

Colonel_Reb said:
STUNNA, read the original post in this thread. White teams routinely beat black teams in every state, not just Arkansas. It happens all the time.

In 4a Shiloh is the first white team to win state in a while. Nashville, Warren, Dollarway, JC, LR central, and pine bluff would disagree.

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
STUNNA said:
Colonel_Reb said:

In 4a Shiloh is the first white team to win state in a while. Nashville, Warren, Dollarway, JC, LR central, and pine bluff would disagree.
Very nice, STUNNA, but look at last years SCOREBOARD. I'll bet this year turns out no differently.
The Class 7A (the 16 largest schools in the state) state champion, was all-white Bentonville.
In Class 6A (the next 16 largest schools) all-white Lake Hamilton defeated nearly all-back El Dorado to win the state championship in a near-blowout.
Class 5A (the next 32 largest schools) saw a match-up between what many claimed were the best two teams in the state: all-white private school Pulaski Academy and all-black Helena-West Helena Central. In the end, PA avenged its one loss of the season (to Helena in Week 1 of the season) and emerged victorious.
Class 4A saw all-white private school Shiloh Christian continue its tradition of dominance. The only Arkansas high school ranked nationally (#52 Prep, #99 Rivals, #24 Vype) and arguably the best overall team in the state despite being a small Christian school, Shiloh destroyed all-black Dollarway, 42-18, to win the state championship.
Class 3A saw two undefeated teams enter the contest: nearly all-white Fountain Lake with one of the most dominant rushing attacks in state history, and all-white Charleston (white team wins, either way)
The only win by the black team was in tiny Class 2A, Junction City beating Des Arc by a field goal when time expired.
'Nuff said.

Riddlewire

Master
STUNNA said:
Colonel_Reb said:
<div> </div>
<div>In 4a Shiloh is the first white team to win state in a while. Nashville, Warren, Dollarway, JC, LR central, and pine bluff would disagree.</div>

I don't remember reading any of your posts before, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt regarding your football beliefs.
However, you have misinterpreted the main idea of this thread. Whether or not specific types of teams win championships is irrelevant. What we have catalogued here is evidence that, in cases where all-white (or mostly white) teams dominate their competition, the offensive skill players on those teams are never given credit for their abilities. If you are from Arkansas, you have no choice but to admit this. Black players from marginal teams are constantly fawned over and considered to be college prospects, while the white players who beat them aren't given a second thought.