Arizona Illegal-Immigrant Law

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Left-coast cesspool Los Angeles "boycotts" AZ & sticks their pro-mexi noses into Arizona's business.
smiley21.gif
smiley35.gif

L.A. Becomes Largest City To Boycott Arizona

LOS ANGELES (CBS)

The City Council voted 13-1 Wednesday to approve sanctions that could include canceling some $8 million in contracts with the state of Arizona.

Los Angeles on Wednesday became the largest city yet to boycott Arizona over its tough new law targeting illegal immigration in a move that likely will affect some $8 million in contracts with the state.

The City Council voted 13-1 to bar Los Angeles from conducting business with Arizona unless the law is repealed. The vote followed an emotional council discussion during which many members noted that their ancestors were U.S. immigrants.

"Los Angeles is the second-largest city in this country. An immigrant city, an international city needs to have its voice heard," Councilman Ed Reyes said.

Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa already has said he would approve the boycott.

Although Arizona's law has been modified to forbid police from using race to stop people, opponents say racial profiling is inevitable, CBS 2/KCAL 9's Mark Coogan reported.

"We must say stop"¦ this is a law that we think is wrong. It's going in the wrong direction," Councilwoman Janice Hahn said.

The proposal could affect investments and contracts worth as much as $52 million, including contracts for airport, harbor and trucking services, according to a report from the city's chief legislative analyst. That report recommends the council consider suspending travel, cutting contracts and refraining from making any new ones with Arizona-based companies.

Hahn, who co-authored the resolution, said it would be impractical to cancel most of those deals and only about $7 million to $8 million in city contracts probably would be affected.

"US Airways is based in Arizona and they certainly fly in and out (of Los Angeles)" and it would hardly be feasible to end those flights, Hahn said before the council vote.

Hahn said the Los Angeles boycott also won't affect the city's Department of Water and Power, which has wind farm and nuclear energy contracts in Arizona. Among the contracts with Arizona companies that conceivably could be terminated include those for helicopter services, Taser guns, waste management, engineering and surveillance equipment.

Hahn said "the best scenario" would be to turn around and give those contracts to California suppliers.

The resolution claims that Arizona's new law encourages racial profiling and is unconstitutional. The law, set to take effect July 29, requires police enforcing another law to question a person about his or her immigration status if there is "reasonable suspicion" that the person is in the United States illegally and makes it a state crime to be in the country illegally. Several lawsuits seeking to block its implementation are pending in U.S. District Court in Phoenix.

Some polls have shown strong popular support for the Arizona law and critics are concerned that other states may follow up with their own versions.

Several cities across the country have passed resolutions or urged boycotts to protest the law, including California cities such as Oakland and San Diego. A nonbinding resolution approved Tuesday by San Francisco city supervisors urges a boycott of Arizona-based businesses and asks sports leagues not to hold championship games or tournaments there.

Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer said the boycotts are unfortunate and misguided, primarily because the law mirrors a federal requirement that legal immigrants carry immigration papers.

"It's already the law in the United States, and I have a responsibility to stand up and protect the people of Arizona and we will do that," Brewer said Tuesday.

Charges that the law will lead to racial profiling are "just pure rhetoric," Brewer said.

"I find it really interesting that we have people out there that are attempting a boycott in favor of illegal actions in Arizona. That to me is just unbelievable."

Of the resolution in Los Angeles, Hahn said: "We want to stand back and say that we're against it. We're hoping that Arizona will be the last state to do this instead of just the first state to do it."

The city staged a similar economic boycott against South Africa during apartheid and against Colorado after voters in 1992 passed a state law repealing local ordinances that banned discrimination against homosexuals.

http://cbs2.com/local/Los.Angeles.City.2.1689109.html

Edited by: DixieDestroyer

backrow

Hall of Famer
read this infuriating blog from SFgate...

link

surprisingly after a few brainwashed people commenting, a common sense and logic comes into play, and it's refreshing to read some still retain their ability to think clearly!

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Despite the fact that the majority of Americans agree with the bill, we still get articles like this. What a joke. The only poll taken that doesn't support the bill was taken by La Raza and they only polled hispanics. Arizona is taking a stand and there are up to 11 states at the moment considering legislation that is similar. Keep it up Janet Brewer. She also is taking down all the photo radar speed cameras on the freeways. Down with big govt. Up with freedom.

Westside

Hall of Famer
The lone councilman voting against the AZ boycott is Mr Greig Smith. He is a reserse police officer and was a profile in courage to vote against this nonsensical vote. Another councilman, Dennis Zine is a former motor cop and has turned into a misguide fool. I thought both would stand against the rest of the city liberals. When I see Mr Smith I will shake his hand. When I see Zine I will give him the finger!

foobar75

Master
Here's what want to know. We have all this boycott AZ garbage all over the place, isn't there some "Support AZ" campaigns anywhere that we can lend our help? I'd happy to donate money or anything else I can to get on AZ's side on this issue.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
I've about had my dadgum fill of these "protest calls". Most of it is illegitimate propaganda enabled by the Elite (thru their many controlled channels...La Raza, etc.). It's beyond belief how many brain-dead, racially castrated sheeple buy into this anti-sovereignty position. With the armies of zombified lemmings (duped by the MMS), it's a damned wonder the Republic hasn't already collapsed.
smiley7.gif
smiley18.gif

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Hey guys. We need your support out here in AZ. There is a new web site by the name of azfightsback.comIt lists the towns, cities and states that are boycotting AZ. Time to give it back to them. In fact, California gets 25% of their electricity from us. It might stop in the near future if they don't back off. They see how they like them apples?

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
white lightning said:
Hey guys. We need your support out here in AZ. There is a new web site by the name of azfightsback.comIt lists the towns, cities and states that are boycotting AZ. Time to give it back to them. In fact, California gets 25% of their electricity from us. It might stop in the near future if they don't back off. They see how they like them apples?

Here's one way of showing your support http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/stand-with-arizona-and-against-illegal-immigration.html

And if you're on facebook join/like this group http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pages/I-Support-Arizona-Illegal-Aliens-Are-ILLEGAL/117252624968814?ref=tsEdited by: celticdb15

Charlie

Guru
The Tucson Hispanic Chamber of Commerce is opposed to a new Arizona law which does NOT require businesses to provide translation. Per the heavily accented and heavily highlighted THCC blond spokesperson,

'There should be a requirement for all hotels, stores, restaurants and doctors to provide translations. We have $1 billion coming in from foreign tourism (with a wave of the hand in the general direction of Mexico).'

Ah, but here's the problem. Tourism to Arizona from Europe, Asia and Canada easily dwarfs tourism from Latin America. The THCC doesn't imagine it will be required to provide translation for French or Japanese speakers. Rather THCC intends to harm its Anglo and Jewish competitors by forcing upon them an expensive burden. And forcing them to hire translators with Spanish-language and English-language skills so poor it would guarantee lawsuits. (The THCC is pretty thin in terms of actual membership. But still gets lots of press coverage. Helping 'em out I guess. Poor things.)

Also, the best sort of Latin tourists speak English and have often attended American colleges. 'Best sort' refers to Latin customers who pay in cash for high-end medical care and shopping. Easily spotted. Nothing like the day trippers who cross over into Nogales to shop at the discount marts.

If it's worth it a doctor or business owner can easily learn Spanish. But it's not always worth it.

You rarely see Latins of any sort at the big deal nature draws like Sedona or the Grand Canyon. But it's really neat to see all the Asian and European tourists. Crytals ist wunderbar.

The state law was inspired by an optometrist who was sued by a Mexican. She had her 12 year old with her to translate. The doctor sensibly told her to come back with an 18 year old and gave her the names of other optometrists who spoke Spanish. But she filed a complaint instead. No good deed...

Role playing 'Cowboys and Indians' is big in Germany, partly the result of the ever-popular German language 'Shatterhand' Wild West stories. The enthusiasm is similar to Civil War reenactment in the U.S. with the same emphasis on accuracy. Arizona has plenty of real cowboys and Indians and even Indian cowboys. But do you suppose there is a carefully crafted Arizona Tourism Board campaign to attract such German visitors? Oh, they do come, but not as a result of AZ efforts.

Four students were among those who want McCain to pass the Dream Act giving young illegals a path to citizenship. So they squatted in his office until arrested. Three were illegals. Two Mexicans, and proof of the bone-stupid, tone-deaf nature of the amnesty crowd, an Iranian. Yeah, America wants to give illegal aliens from Iran special treatment. An explosion of support for that.

A fifth 'student' left the squat action to speak to the media. She's an illegal but wasn't arrested for that or for trespassing. At 26 she's a graduate of the University of Chicago with a degree in sociology. When asked why she should be given a path to citizenship she replied, 'Because this is where I learned to read. This is where I learned to love. Because of my community.'

Okay. Harvard calls itself the University of Chicago of the Ivy League. So a U of C graduate has the communication skills of God knows what, but not what you would hope for. Your tax dollars at work. She knew she would be asked questions of that nature and she wasn't prepared? That was her best? I guess our illegals need their own Comandante Zero. A white person who can speak for them the same way white college professor Zero spoke for the barely literate Zapatistas in Chiapas, Mexico.

And the 'students' wore graduation gowns. Which is really retarded. Why not the Gandhi diaper look instead? But hard to do when you're overweight from the abundance of racist Amerikkka's food supply.

Since 2002 Tom Horne has been head of the AZ Dept. of Education. He is the person most responsible for passing the law addressing ethnic studies. While often mistaken for being Mormon (a little heavyset, open faced, friendly and earnest) he is actually Jewish. He's running for Attorney General against a Sheriff Arpaio ally. Both would be an improvement over current idiot Terry Goddard, who is running for Governor as a Dem. Lotsa luck.

Mssr. Goddard refused to file suit over Obamacare and is adamant over not enforcing SB 1070. Because he is a sort of deity, or something.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
Arizona is fighting back.
smiley32.gif

AZ utility board members responds to LA boycott over sb1070.

The Los Angeles City Council voted to boycott the state of Arizona over its new immigration-enforcement law, and now the Arizona Corporation Commission has responded. Gary Pierce, one of the commissioners chosen in state-wide elections to the utility regulation panel, notes that Los Angeles gets about 25% of its power from Arizona producers. If the City of Angels really wants a boycott, Pierce offers his services to help, as he explains in a letter to Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa and copied to Hot Air:
<BLOCKQUOTE>

Dear Mayor Villaraigosa,

I was dismayed to learn that the Los Angeles City Council voted to boycott Arizona and Arizona-based companies â€" a vote you strongly supported â€" to show opposition to SB 1070 (Support our Law Enforcement and Safe Neighborhoods Act).

You explained your support of the boycott as follows: "While we recognize that as neighbors, we share resources and ties with the State of Arizona that may be difficult to sever, our goal is not to hurt the local economy of Los Angeles, but to impact the economy of Arizona. Our intent is to use our dollars â€" or the withholding of our dollars â€" to send a message." (emphasis added)

I received your message; please receive mine. As a state-wide elected member of the Arizona Corporation Commission overseeing Arizona's electric and water utilities, I too am keenly aware of the "resources and ties"Â we share with the City of Los Angeles. In fact, approximately twenty-five percent of the electricity consumed in Los Angeles is generated by power plants in Arizona.

If an economic boycott is truly what you desire, I will be happy to encourage Arizona utilities to renegotiate your power agreements so Los Angeles no longer receives any power from Arizona-based generation. I am confident that Arizona's utilities would be happy to take those electrons off your hands. If, however, you find that the City Council lacks the strength of its convictions to turn off the lights in Los Angeles and boycott Arizona power, please reconsider the wisdom of attempting to harm Arizona's economy.

People of goodwill can disagree over the merits of SB 1070. A state-wide economic boycott of Arizona is not a message sent in goodwill.

Sincerely,

Commissioner Gary Pierce
</BLOCKQUOTE>

A scan of the letter can be downloaded here. I wonder what Commissioner Pierce has to say about Councilman Ed Reyes' lack of understanding of California's own penal code? Maybe the AZCC could buy a copy for Reyes, although it might be difficult to read during the blackout in Los Angeles.
stay strong, AZ!
smiley20.gif

Paleocon

Guru
DixieDestroyer said:
Left-coast cesspool Los Angeles "boycotts" AZ &amp; sticks their pro-mexi noses into Arizona's business.
smiley21.gif
smiley35.gif

L.A. Becomes Largest City To Boycott Arizona

LOS ANGELES (CBS)

The City Council voted 13-1 Wednesday to approve sanctions that could include canceling some $8 million in contracts with the state of Arizona.

Los Angeles on Wednesday became the largest city yet to boycott Arizona over its tough new law targeting illegal immigration in a move that likely will affect some $8 million in contracts with the state.

The City Council voted 13-1 to bar Los Angeles from conducting business with Arizona unless the law is repealed. The vote followed an emotional council discussion during which many members noted that their ancestors were U.S. immigrants.

"Los Angeles is the second-largest city in this country. An immigrant city, an international city needs to have its voice heard," Councilman Ed Reyes said.

Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa already has said he would approve the boycott.

Although Arizona's law has been modified to forbid police from using race to stop people, opponents say racial profiling is inevitable, CBS 2/KCAL 9's Mark Coogan reported.

"We must say stop"¦ this is a law that we think is wrong. It's going in the wrong direction," Councilwoman Janice Hahn said.

The proposal could affect investments and contracts worth as much as $52 million, including contracts for airport, harbor and trucking services, according to a report from the city's chief legislative analyst. That report recommends the council consider suspending travel, cutting contracts and refraining from making any new ones with Arizona-based companies.

Hahn, who co-authored the resolution, said it would be impractical to cancel most of those deals and only about $7 million to $8 million in city contracts probably would be affected.

"US Airways is based in Arizona and they certainly fly in and out (of Los Angeles)" and it would hardly be feasible to end those flights, Hahn said before the council vote.

Hahn said the Los Angeles boycott also won't affect the city's Department of Water and Power, which has wind farm and nuclear energy contracts in Arizona. Among the contracts with Arizona companies that conceivably could be terminated include those for helicopter services, Taser guns, waste management, engineering and surveillance equipment.

Hahn said "the best scenario" would be to turn around and give those contracts to California suppliers.

The resolution claims that Arizona's new law encourages racial profiling and is unconstitutional. The law, set to take effect July 29, requires police enforcing another law to question a person about his or her immigration status if there is "reasonable suspicion" that the person is in the United States illegally and makes it a state crime to be in the country illegally. Several lawsuits seeking to block its implementation are pending in U.S. District Court in Phoenix.

Some polls have shown strong popular support for the Arizona law and critics are concerned that other states may follow up with their own versions.

Several cities across the country have passed resolutions or urged boycotts to protest the law, including California cities such as Oakland and San Diego. A nonbinding resolution approved Tuesday by San Francisco city supervisors urges a boycott of Arizona-based businesses and asks sports leagues not to hold championship games or tournaments there.

Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer said the boycotts are unfortunate and misguided, primarily because the law mirrors a federal requirement that legal immigrants carry immigration papers.

"It's already the law in the United States, and I have a responsibility to stand up and protect the people of Arizona and we will do that," Brewer said Tuesday.

Charges that the law will lead to racial profiling are "just pure rhetoric," Brewer said.

"I find it really interesting that we have people out there that are attempting a boycott in favor of illegal actions in Arizona. That to me is just unbelievable."

Of the resolution in Los Angeles, Hahn said: "We want to stand back and say that we're against it. We're hoping that Arizona will be the last state to do this instead of just the first state to do it."

The city staged a similar economic boycott against South Africa during apartheid and against Colorado after voters in 1992 passed a state law repealing local ordinances that banned discrimination against homosexuals.

http://cbs2.com/local/Los.Angeles.City.2.1689109.html

From my understanding of Commerce Clause jurisprudence one state boycotting another state's products is unconstitutional. If it is just canceling contracts then Arizona should be awarded damages for breach of contract. Of course we cannot expect the Federal government to use the Commerce Clause for its actual purpose and quash this nonsense.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Betrayal of U.S. sovereignty by (Orwellian) DHS assistant secretary John Morton...

Top Official Says Feds May Not Process Illegals Referred From Arizona

FOXNews.com

A top Department of Homeland Security official reportedly said his agency will not necessarily process illegal immigrants referred to them by Arizona authorities.

John Morton, assistant secretary of homeland security for U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, made the comment during a meeting on Wednesday with the editorial board of the Chicago Tribune, the newspaper reports.

"I don't think the Arizona law, or laws like it, are the solution," Morton told the newspaper.

The best way to reduce illegal immigration is through a comprehensive federal approach, he said, and not a patchwork of state laws.

Immigrant rights' supporters around the country took to the streets on May 1 to protest Arizona's new immigration law which seeks to identify, prosecute and deport illegal immigrants. Take a look at the massive protests.

The law, which criminalizes being in the state illegally and requires authorities to check suspects for immigration status, is not "good government," Morton said.

In response to Morton's comments, DHS officials said President Obama has ordered the Department of Justice to examine the civil rights and other implications of the law.

"That review will inform the government's actions going forward," DHS spokesman Matt Chandler told Fox News on Friday.

Fox News legal analyst Judge Andrew Napolitano said ICE is not obligated to process illegal immigrants referred to them by Arizona authorities.

"ICE has the legal discretion to accept or not to accept persons delivered to it by non-federal personnel," Napolitano said. "It also has the discretion to deport or not to deport persons delivered to it by any government agents, even its own."

Morton, according to a biography posted on ICE's website, began his federal service in 1994 and has held numerous positions at the Department of Justice, including as a trial attorney and special assistant to the general counsel in the former Immigration and Naturalization Service and as counsel to the deputy attorney general.

Border apprehensions in Arizona, where roughly 500,000 illegal immigrants are estimated to be living, are up 6 percent since October, according to federal statistics. Roughly 6.5 million residents live in Arizona.

Sen. Jeff Sessions, R-AL, said it appeared the Obama administration is "nullifying existing law" and suggested Morton may not be the right person for his post if he fails to enforce federal immigration law.

"If he feels he cannot enforce the law, he shouldn't have the job," Sessions told Fox News. "That makes him, in my view, not fulfilling the responsibilities of his office."

Sessions said the U.S. government has "systematically failed" to enforce federal immigration law and claimed Morton's statement is an indication that federal officials do not plan on working with Arizona authorities regarding its controversial law.

"They're telegraphing to every ICE agency in America that they really don't intend on cooperating with Arizona," Sessions said. "The federal government should step up and do it. It's their responsibility."

Sen. Jeff Sessions, R-AL, said it appeared the Obama administration is "nullifying existing law" and suggested Morton may not be the right person for his post if he fails to enforce federal immigration law.

"If he feels he cannot enforce the law, he shouldn't have the job," Sessions told Fox News. "That makes him, in my view, not fulfilling the responsibilities of his office."

Sessions said the U.S. government has "systematically failed" to enforce federal immigration law and claimed Morton's statement is an indication that federal officials do not plan on working with Arizona authorities regarding its controversial law.

"They're telegraphing to every ICE agency in America that they really don't intend on cooperating with Arizona," Sessions said. "The federal government should step up and do it. It's their responsibility."

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/05/21/official-says-feds-process-illegals-referred-arizona/

Paleocon

Guru
Then the DHS should be abolished for incompetence and for flagrantly ignoring the law. Really DHS should be abolished anyway, but the fact that they stubbornly refuse to serve any useful purpose makes it that much more obvious. Clearly the only mission DHS cares about is prolonging the "War on Terror" and likely eventually cracking down "domestic terrorists" (read: constitutionalists, Second Amendment advocates, libertarians, Ron Paul and Chuck Baldwin supporters, and anyone with a Gadsden flag).

Westside

Hall of Famer
I am pissed about this latest development, but I know its adding fuel to fire to oust these liberal democrats from power come November. Its astounding, the level of arrogance and pandering to this invader mob/ingrates. Its obvious that the democrats are trying to curry favor with these law brakers and their kin. Its just pissing off White Americans and those logical non white Americans.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Son of a scourge Patrick Kennedy spews his horse-dung rhetoric (pandering to the latinos) in comparing the AZ law to "slave trade".
smiley8.gif

Rep. Kennedy Says Mexican President 'Right On' in Criticizing Arizona Immigration Law

Monday, May 24, 2010
By Edwin Mora

(CNSNews.com) - Rep. Patrick Kennedy (D.-R.I.) said last week that Mexican President Felipe Calderon had been "right on"Â￾ in criticizing Arizona's new immigration enforcement law.

CNSNews.com asked Kennedy (D-R.I.), a member of the House Oversight and Government Reform subcommittee on national security and foreign affairs, for his thoughts on the criticisms Calderon made of the Arizona law while in Washington, D.C. last week.

"Well, he's right on,"Â￾ Kennedy told CNSNews.com. "I mean, it violates the spirit of our own Constitution.

"So, you know, we had a tragic history in this country," said Kennedy. "The most shameful parts of our history were when we had our slave trade, when we, when we, the Trail of Tears--what we did to our Native Americans. And, you know, the proudest moments in our history are when we had the Civil Rights Act, when we moved forward on integration and expanding the opportunities for all of our citizens.

"So, this idea of, you know, racial profiling, takes us backwards and really goes to the worst character of our nation and it's, it's demeaning to our country that we would move in that direction," said Kennedy. "It's beneath us as a people."Â￾

Sen. Jeff Sessions (R-Ala.), a senior member of the Senate Judiciary Committee, told CNSNews.com that Mexican President Felipe Calderon was wrong to criticize Arizona's anti-illegal immigration law, adding that Calderon had also "mischaracterized the law."Â￾

Moments after Calderon spoke from the U.S. Capitol on Thursday, CNSNews.com asked Sessions, "Do you think it was wrong for President Calderon to criticize the Arizona law?"Â￾

Sessions, a member of the Senate Judiciary subcommittee on Immigration, Refugees and Border Security, said, "Well yes. I thought he was in error about it. If he thought, if some of the things he said were true, I would be more sympathetic, but I think he mischaracterized the law."Â￾

In answering a reporter's question about Calderon criticizing the new law against illegal immigration, Sessions defended the measure from claims by Calderon and President Barack Obama that the law permits racial profiling.

"He [Calderon] said this was racial profiling. I don't believe that is. In fact, the statue explicitly says they cannot use racial profiling,"Â￾ Sessions said.

"He and President Obama are incorrect in their fundamental analysis,"Â￾ said Sessions.

Nevertheless, Sessions praised Calderon's efforts to bolster his country's economy and shore up efforts to combat the drug cartel violence.

CNSNews.com spoke to Sessions and Kennedy at the U.S. Capitol on Thursday after Calderon delivered his remarks from the House chamber.

While acknowledging respect for America's "legitimate right to establish in accordance to its Constitution whatever laws it approves,"Â￾ Calderon had criticized the Arizona law on Wednesday during a press conference with President Obama at the White House Rose Garden.

Calderon said, "We will retain our firm rejection to criminalize migration so that people that work and provide things to this nation will be treated as criminals. And we oppose firmly the S.B. 1070 Arizona law given in fair principles that are partial and discriminatory."Â￾

Standing next to Calderon, Obama echoed the Mexican president's assessment of the law, saying, "I think the Arizona law has the potential of being applied in a discriminatory fashion."Â￾

However, Obama acknowledged that the Arizona law stemmed from the federal government's shortcomings in dealing with a "broken immigration system."Â￾

Obama also stressed that his administration may challenge the Arizona law in court.

"And I want everyone, American and Mexican, to know my administration is taking a very close look at the Arizona law,"Â￾ said Obama. "We're examining any implications, especially for civil rights. Because in the United States of America, no law-abiding person â€" be they an American citizen, a legal immigrant, or a visitor or tourist from Mexico â€" should ever be subject to suspicion simply because of what they look like."Â￾

In speaking at the Capitol on Thursday, President Calderon said, "I strongly disagree with the recently adopted law in Arizona. It is a law, it is a law that not only ignores a reality that cannot be erased by decree but also introduce a terrible idea using racial profiling as a basis for law enforcement."Â￾

Many Democratic members of Congress, including the speaker of the House, applauded strongly in favor of Calderon's comments while most Republicans in the chamber did not applaud the criticisms of the Arizona law.

Calderon also called on U.S. lawmakers to overhaul America's immigration laws, saying, "The time has come to reduce the causes of migration and to turn this phenomenon into a legal, ordered and secure flow of workers and visitors."Â￾

The revised Arizona law explicitly prohibits racial profiling. According to the law, a person's immigration status can be checked only if an individual is stopped for a different reason.

"A lawful stop, detention or arrest must be in the enforcement of any other law or ordinance of a county, city or town or this state,"Â￾ states the revised law.

On May 20, CNSNews.com reported, "Mexican immigration law, revised in 2009, gives Mexican officials the right to check people's immigration status, and if someone is found to be in the country illegally, they can be fined and deported. The law also requires foreigners to register with the government."Â￾

A transcript of CNSNews.com's exchange with Sen. Sessions (R-Ala.) and Rep. Kennedy (D-R.I.) follows below:

CNSNews.com: "Do you think it was wrong for President Calderon to criticize the Arizona law?"Â￾

Sen. Jeff Sessions (R-Ala.): "Well yes. I thought he was in error about it. If he thought if some of the things he said were true, I would be more sympathetic, but I think he mischaracterized the law."Â￾

CNSNews.com: "What is your reaction to the [Mexican] president criticizing the Arizona law?"Â￾

Rep. Patrick Kennedy (D-R.I.): "Well he's right on. I mean, it violates the spirit of our own Constitution. So, you know, we had a tragic history in this country. The most shameful parts of our history were when we had our slave trade, when we, when we, the Trail of Tears -- what we did to our Native Americans. And, you know, the proudest moments in our history are when we had the Civil Rights Act, when we moved forward on integration and expanding the opportunities for all of our citizens. So, this idea of, you know, racial profiling, takes us backwards and really goes to the worst character of our nation and it's, it's demeaning to our country that we would move in that direction. It's beneath us as a people."Â￾

http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/66467

Europe

Mentor
I am sure Kennedy isn't living with all the Mexicans.He just forces them all on us. What a moron.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Hats off to the yanks up in ol' "Massatwocents"!
smiley2.gif
smiley20.gif

Mass. Senate passes crackdown on illegal immigrants

May 27, 2010 05:56 PM
By Noah Bierman and Maria Sacchetti, Globe Staff

With one lawmaker citing President Lincoln's respect for the rule of law, the Massachusetts Senate passed a far-reaching crackdown this afternoon on illegal immigrants and those who would hire them, going further, senators said, than any immigration bill proposed over the past five years.

In a surprising turn of events, the legislation replaced a narrower bill that was passed Wednesday over the objections of Republicans.

The measure, which passed on a 28-10 vote as an amendment to the budget, would bar the state from doing business with any company found to break federal laws barring illegal immigrant hiring. It would also toughen penalties for creating or using fake identification documents, and explicitly deny in-state college tuition for illegal immigrants.

The amendment would also require the state's public health insurance program to verify residency through the Department of Homeland Security, and would require the state to give legal residents priority for subsidized housing.

The amendment will now be part of negotiations with the House as part of the entire state budget.

Supporters, especially Republicans, struck patriotic notes and spoke of the sanctity of the law as they spoke on the Senate floor.

"It was President Lincoln -- and I'm going to paraphrase here -- who suggested that respect for the law should be preached from every pulpit taught by every mother to every child,"Â￾ said Senator Bruce Tarr, a Gloucester Republican.

But one supporter said that the measure was being passed for practical purposes and would hurt people.

Senator Frederick E. Berry, a Peabody Democrat, complained that one of the Republican sponsors acted like the "Patriots had just won the Super Bowl. ... I am going to vote for it, but I don't think we ought to rejoice."

Democrats had resisted such a sweeping proposal, but spent last evening negotiating today's measure, shortly after a new polled showed 84 percent of the liberal-leaning state's voters supported tough immigration rules barring state services to illegal immigrants.

Sonia Chang-Diaz, a Boston Democrat who opposed the amendment, said the measure had not been properly vetted and would add undue obligations to businesses and state government when they could ill afford it. She said it would cost the state money, while programs for children and public safety are being cut and people in her city are being shot at.

"I just don't think this is an appropriate time to be enforcing an additional cost burden on the state, doing things that are not our job," Chang-Diaz said.

The measure would also close what supporters say is a loophole that allows businesses to register cars under a company name, without identifying the owner by Social Security number and federal tax identification number. It would also crate a toll-free hot line for anonymous reporting of companies that employ illegal immigrants.

The measure comes weeks after immigration measures failed in the House, and amid heightened debate over illegal immigration fueled by the state's election season and Arizona's passage in April of the toughest immigration law in the nation.

Recent polls have found that, while voters supported blocking illegal immigrants' access to public benefits, they were split over whether the Bay State should have a law such as Arizona's.

Thursday's Senate amendment would also authorize the state attorney general's office to broker an agreement with federal authorities to help enforce immigration law. That would be a stark departure for Attorney General Martha Coakley, who has increased outreach to immigrants, encouraging them to file employment complaints, regardless of their legal status. Scores of immigrants whose bosses allegedly failed to pay their wages have turned to her for help in recent years.

The legislation also would increase penalties for driving without a license, one of the main problems facing illegal immigrants in Massachusetts. In November, a panel commissioned by Governor Deval Patrick urged him to push to grant driver's licenses and in-state tuition for illegal immigrants, among many other recommendations. Patrick sent the recommendations to his cabinet for study and pledged to return with a proposal in 90 days, but the results have not been made public.

Most immigrants in Massachusetts are here legally, but an estimated 190,000, or 20 percent, are here illegally, according to the census.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/breaking_news/2010/05/mass_senate_pas.html

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer

Charlie

Guru
Mexican arrested for Tucson church fire, suspect in four more

All five churches were Protestant with largely white congregations.

Flowing Wells Baptist Church - 4314 N. Romero Rd. - April 9
Alliance Bible Church - 1301 W. Wetmore Rd. - April 26
Northwest Community Friends Church - 5950 N. La Canada - April 30
Catalina Lutheran Church - 15855 N. Twin Lakes - May 10
Coronado Baptist Church â€" 2609 N. Park Ave. - June 1

Before the suspect's capture there was mention of hate crime and a black minister was interviewed stating it was definitely a hate crime. Since the arrest very little coverage. Not even a photo of the suspect to be found.

All fires were set in the same way. An accelerant was splashed on the front door and lit. Damage was not significant but replacing a front door and surrounding frame is a burden to these relatively small churches. And of course fire is inherently dangerous. Six people were inside one church during an arson attack.

The suspect has eleven prior criminal charges but none for arson. My prediction: drug and alcohol rehab + 3 years probation. He chose the right victims.Edited by: Charlie

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
These vermin should be kicked the hell off of American soil ASAP!!!

Mexico opens California office to provide ID for illegals

By: Sara A. Carter
National Security Correspondent
June 3, 2010

The Mexican government is opening a satellite consular office on Catalina Island -- a small resort off the California coast with a history of drug smuggling and human trafficking -- to provide the island's illegal Mexican immigrants with identification cards, The Washington Examiner has learned.

The Mexican consular office in Los Angeles issued a flier, a copy of which was obtained by The Examiner, listing the Catalina Island Country Club as the location of its satellite office. It invites Mexicans to visit the office to obtain the identification, called matricular cards, by appointment.

Rep. Dana Rohrabacher, a Republican whose district includes Catalina Island, said handing out matricular cards will exacerbate an already dangerous situation.

"Handing out matricular cards to Mexicans who are not in this country legally is wrong no matter where it's done," he said. "But on Catalina it will do more damage. It's a small island but there's evidence it's being used as a portal for illegals to access mainland California."

Rohrabacher added, "If there were a large number of Americans illegally in Mexico and the U.S. consulate was making it easier for them to stay, Mexico would never permit it."

Mexican officials with the consular office in Los Angeles could not be reached immediately for comment. The matricular consular identification card, is issued by the Mexican government to Mexican nationals residing outside the country, regardless of immigration status. The purpose is to provide identification for opening bank accounts and obtaining other services. But the cards are usually used to skirt U.S. immigration laws, since Mexicans in the country legally have documents proving that status, Immigration and Customs Enforcement officials said.

In 2004 testimony to the Senate Judiciary Committee, FBI officials called the card an unreliable form of identification. The agency said that Mexico lacks a centralized database for them, which could lead to forgery, duplication, and other forms of abuse.

Officers with the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement said their agency was asked by Mexican officials not to enforce U.S. immigration laws on the island while the cards were being issued.

"It amazes me every time that the Mexican government has the gall to tell us what to do," said an ICE official, who asked not to be named. "More surprisingly is how many times we stand by and let them. This is just an example of one of hundreds of requests we've had to deal with."

In April, Los Angeles County sheriff's deputies seized a boat carrying large quantities of marijuana and detained three Mexican nationals who said they were being smuggled into the United States.

The island has a sizable Mexican migrant population. Most are undocumented low-income workers.

1:15pm UPDATE:

Mexican government officials have moved their satellite consular office from the Catalina Island Country Club to a Catholic Church â€" citing protection under the Geneva Convention

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/politics/Mexico-opens-California-office-to-provide-ID-for-illegals-95434969.html

Highlander

Mentor
DixieDestroyer said:
These vermin should be kicked the hell off of American soil ASAP!!!

Mexico opens California office to provide ID for illegals

By: Sara A. Carter

National Security Correspondent

June 3, 2010

The Mexican government is opening a satellite consular office on Catalina Island -- a small resort off the California coast with a history of drug smuggling and human trafficking -- to provide the island's illegal Mexican immigrants with identification cards, The Washington Examiner has learned.
I remember reading a few years ago, I think it was on Amren, how Catalina Island off the southern coast of California used to be a peaceful paradise of grand Victorian homes, but the wealthy owners of these homes started hiring illegal alien mothers as maids and over the years these maids started bringing their sons there and now the once-serene streets of Catalina Island are now filled with illegal alien gang members terrorizing the residents of the Island.

Ahhh, the joys of diversity!

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
Try not to laugh out loud while reading this story......

<H1>Calderon condemns border killing, ties it to Ariz. immigration law</H1>
<DIV ="byline">Mexican President Felipe Calderon is condemning the killing of an illegal immigrant by U.S. Border Patrol agents as a "truly unacceptable violation" that involved "torture." He's also tying it to Arizona's immigration law, even though the incident took place on the border with California.

"A death with that degree of violence is a truly unacceptable violation," Calderon said, according to the Associated Press. "We need to raise all our voices, not only for Mexico but for human rights, because the cause of migrants is a cause that affects us all." He added that the Arizona immigration law "opens a Pandora's box of the worst abuses in the history of humanity."

A San Diego police captain told the Associated Press that Anastacio Hernandez â€" who was in the country illegally and was being deported to Mexico â€" wrestled two Border Patrol agents to the ground when his handcuffs were removed at the border crossing between San Diego and Tijuana. An agent shocked him with a stun gun and he died hours later.

Calderon, who criticized U.S. immigration policy during his visit to the White House last month, says Mexico is engaging in an "energetic protest of the torture and death of Anastacio Hernandez, a Mexican who died at the hands of North American migration authorities."

This rhetoric can't help his relationship with the U.S., which he depends on for cash and resources to fight the country's costly drug war. But Calderon is a deeply unpopular president, and turning the focus to foreign policy might be a way for him to distract from domestic failures. His war on the drug cartels, which the U.S. supports financially through the Merida Initiative, has unleashed a wave of violence in the country.

A recent poll sponsored by the Mexican newspaper El Universal shows that Calderon's approval rating remains at 41 percent. That's unchanged since February, despite his newly aggressive stance toward the U.S. Those polled listed the country's main problems as national security and jobs.

Correction: An earlier version of this post gave Calderon's approval rating as 32 percent. That is the approval rating of Calderon's Cabinet.